Class Ranking

Jamm__

Terrarian
I wanna see your guys opinion on all the classes throughout all the stages of the game, and in general, heres mine.\
Singleplayer
1.Ranged
2.Summoner
3.Mage
4.Melee

Multiplayer
1.Summoner
2.Melee
3.Ranger
4.Mage

1.builder... I know it isn’t a class but still
2.Mage
3.Summoner
4.Ranged
5.melee
I don’t really have anything against any of the classes I’m a little against melee because it sucks sometimes:.. but I put summoner as 3(or 2nd) because although it’s difficult it’s still viable and a fun challenge.
mage is my favorite because of the difficulty because you are so powerful, but yet so fragile

Multiplayer
1.Summoner
2.Melee
3.Ranger
4.Mage

In my opinion, Mage is actually very strong in multiplayer because many mage items offer support across multiple classes. Spectre Healing comes to mind, but there’s also things like Clinger Staff which you can cast and have another player kill the enemies it collects or Golden Shower or Betsy’s Wrath that can inflict debuffs onto enemies that both players benefit from. Although other people stealing your mana star drops gets annoying sometimes.

1.builder... I know it isn’t a class but still
2.Mage
3.Summoner
4.Ranged
5.melee
I don’t really have anything against any of the classes I’m a little against melee because it sucks sometimes:.. but I put summoner as 3(or 2nd) because although it’s difficult it’s still viable and a fun challenge.
mage is my favorite because of the difficulty because you are so powerful, but yet so fragile
Yeah I feel that I'm against melee too lmao, I kind of just find it boring, mage used to be my favorite class before my summoner playthrough.

In my opinion, Mage is actually very strong in multiplayer because many mage items offer support across multiple classes. Spectre Healing comes to mind, but there’s also things like Clinger Staff which you can cast and have another player kill the enemies it collects or Golden Shower or Betsy’s Wrath that can inflict debuffs onto enemies that both players benefit from. Although other people stealing your mana star drops gets annoying sometimes.
I always think that mage is one of the two "carry classes" but honestly there can be two mages one mask one hood, the support classes are there to draw attention and provide chip damage. As in multiplayer you can drag out a boss by soley focusing on dodging to draw time for your carrys to arrive(aka your ranger and mage) which is why i think summoner is the best in multiplayer since they can focus on dodging while providing constant chip damage

In my opinion:

1. Ranged
2. Mage
3. Summoner
4. Melee

I feel that ranged is the best class in the game mostly because of how big of an arsenal it has and how powerful it can be in most major stages of the game.
In pre, it has the bows and Boomstick which can be obtained nearly straight away while mage and summoner can have trouble at early game because their early game is most up to luck for gems/Water bolt or Finch Staff find.
And in hardmode, lots of upgrades such as onyx blaster and dart weapons are available straight away.

Melee may be one of the two viable classes in extremely early game but after the first 2 bosses it falls of exponentially because of the lack of range and even with range, the projectiles aren't as good as many other classes ranged abilities.

I mostly put mage on second because of how powerful it can become in hardmode because of how many op weapons it has, but I couldn't put it at first because of early game progression for the class and a lack of really good weapons except shadow chests weapons and water bolt.

And summoner is kind of an odd bag for me, I haven't really played much of the class myself but I can say of what I have played of it is that it is the support class of terraria because minion damage isn't the main damage that should be being dealt. I know whips can help with this 'problem' I said but most upgrades in early game and early hardmode are decently difficult to get for summoners but since I haven't played much of the class I can't really say much more about it.

And for multiplayer:

1. Melee
2. Mage
3. Summoner
4. Ranged

Quick reasons for this one:
Melee - Tankiest and most aggro allowing other classes to wail on bosses
Mage - Lots of AoE helps in Hardmode
Summoner - Good support as I said in the single player summoner bit
Ranged - The least supportive of all classes in the game because of low aggro making every other class take the hits without giving the other teammates any good help.

God, why did I spend so long on this.
And it's so bad.

well finally here we are,
for people like me
1.Ranged
2. mage
3.summoner
4.melee
Ranged: Lets be real here, dmg accessories or not the dps outputs are so high you kill everything super fast so there is barely any need for dodging or extra crap
Mage: very good dps, and the armors have the best supportive set bonuses in the game but is very fragile
3. Summoner: the most popular vanilla class. the dps and the rework is cool and everything, but you have to grind too much to get the really good items, otherwise, your left with the small pool of normal items to work with. Also, summoner armors aren't very good offensivly, until hallowed tier and up so yea, and summoners are so frail you have to dodge everything to stay alive, if you catch my drift, thats a nono for me, because i suck at dodging, and most of yall probably do too
4. Melee: the extra def is great, but i shouldn't mention how much melee class is good at supporting others, but suffers to stay alive in the end after all
The close range is really dissapointing because it just makes dodging harder, and as expert and master mode exist, def slowly becomes less and less useful

the most popular vanilla class. the dps and the rework is cool and everything, but you have to grind too much to get the really good items
It’s actually not the most popular, people are just more vocal about it than with other classes because the reworks are shiny and new and they want to spread the word that it isn’t bad anymore. It’ll die down at some point. Also, that class doesn’t take grinding for at all? Most items are pretty much guaranteed, very common or made from a common material.

Personally, my class rankings are:

In terms of power:
1) Ranged
2/3) Mage and Summoner
4) Melee

Ranged speaks for itself, it’s a beast the entire game, and although there are points in progression where other classes beat it (like summoner in late prehardmode or mage in post-golem), it’s consistently reliable. It’s also the safest class because it gives you the leeway to give yourself much more distance from the boss.

Mage and Summoner are really hard to choose between in power, so I didn’t. Mage is a beast in damage output with some of the most damaging items in the tier at every point, and has some of the best set bonuses in the game, but it’s also flipflopping between underpowered and overpowered every two tiers. Summoner seems to have a gradual upward curve in strength with a spike at Wall of Flesh, but it’s good enough to make do at every tier and gets *really* strong after Plantera when a plethora of great upgrades come into play.

Melee is... weird. It suffers during bosses because of a combination of lower range and lower DPS, and is definitely the worst class for bossing until post-Plantera when you get the unreasonable Terra Blade and Vampire Knives. But it’s really good for everything else because it has great survivability, easy and spammy weapons and no resource management. It’s especially good for invasions because many melee weapons are tailored specifically for crowd control. But I have to put it last because bosses are generally the most important part of a class’ preformance.

As for personal preference,
1) Mage
2) Summoner
3) Melee
4) Ranged

Mage is just fun, the weapons are cool and original and it’s amazing to have a power trip during the stages you’re really strong. Summoner too to the lesser extent.

Melee is also very fun to play especially now that you can give autoswing to everything in the class, and it has a ton of variety even though it also has a ton of clutter, but I like it slightly less because you really have to work around the class’ weakesses.

Ranged is a distant last. It feels the least original, like all the viable weapons do the same thing, and its playstyle is “shoot toward enemy” which is so uninteresting.

In terms of strength:
  1. Ranger. This class is easily the strongest class, because of the reliably high DPS (that becomes extremely high with certain weapons) and huge range. Rangers also have enough defense to survive a few more hits than a summoner or mage, but its not as defensively strong as melee. However, rangers are held back by ammo management, which in my opinion is very annoying.
  2. Summoner. Summoners used to be extraordinarily underpowered, because of how little weapons good weapons it had. After 1.4 and 1.4.1 though, this class now has powerful options for all of the game, and even has the equivalent of an endgame weapon in power available before Golem. Also, minions are able to attack enemies by themselves while you do other things, and most of them can be summoned anywhere on the screen to attack any enemy you want.
  3. Mage. You could put mage in second and summoner in third and it wouldn't make much difference because mage is basically on par with summoners. Mages can progress smoothly and orderly, like rangers can, because weapons available later are usually always better than weapons available earlier. Mages have very creative and cool-looking weapons, and has high DPS if you manage your mana well. Mana is the drawback of playing mage, but it isn't that hard to deal with if you get the accessories specifically for mages.
  4. Melee. Melee is the best defensively, because of the very high defense, and damage reduction once you get to a certain point in progression, however it has extremely short range, except when certain weapons like the Shadowflame Knife or projectile broadswords like the Terra Blade or Flying Dragon. Melee struggles the most during boss fights and during many of the events because of that horrible range. However, melee performs great against common enemies mainly because you don't need to worry about running out of ammo or mana or something like that.
In terms of fun (in my opinion):
  1. Summoner
  2. Mage
  3. Ranger
  4. Melee
In terms of difficulty (easiest to hardest):
  1. Ranger (weapons are very common and all decently powerful)
  2. Mage (very powerful weapon choices and mana isn't too hard to manage)
  3. Melee (while the weapons are easy to get, it struggles a lot with progressing and most weapons are complete trash, however it is easy to spam and isn’t restrained by mana)
  4. Summoner (powerful, but there are many bad weapons as well, and weapons aren't very easy to get compared to ranger or melee, and very low defense means getting hit will mess you up completely)

Last edited:
Well, others have already talked about the power of the classes, and I can't really add anything to their points, so I'll just give my personal preference:

1) Mage. I mean, my nickname makes this pretty obvious. Starting off the game as a pure mage can be pretty hard, but there are still some reliable ways of getting your first weapon, such as mining or fishing for oasis crates. Mana isn't really as much of a problem as everyone makes it out to be, since the game gives you more than enough options to regenerate it quickly. This class may seem pretty boring in the begining, however it seriously starts ramping up in terms of fun near the start of hardmode: walls of cursed flames? Sure. Damaging rain clouds? Of course! Raining meteors? Why is that even a question, absolutely! And it only gets better from there: Launching bouncing and rolling boulders, summoning homing bats, firing huge freakin' lasers - what's not to love? And that's not even mentioning the supportive capabilities - not only in multiplayer though; there are plenty of utility options you might wanna keep in your hotbar even in singleplayer.

2) Melee. This class might be bad, but it can be extremely fun, and it has a ton of different weapons (even if you don't count the 50 different ore/wood sword variants). Like mage, this class stars out kinda slow in terms of variety, but it really starts to pick up the pace later on in the game, and once it reaches it's peak... Hohoho, boy, does it get good!

3) Summoner. This would've been number 2... But it has so much wasted potential. The idea of having your own squad of little helpers is so amazing, but the execution of this idea is extremely lacking. Almost every minion feels the same, with the only one I find truly unique and interesting being the desert tiger staff, due to it's unique pounce attack. Other than that, most of the variety comes from whips and sentries (which are criminally underrated for something that's pretty much free damage). It could have so much potential with things such as minions that heal the player and their allies in multiplayer, grant various buffs to other minions, spawn smaller backup minions... But sadly, we have what we have.

4) Ranged. I mean... It is the strongest in terms of power, but it is soooo damn boring. Not only in concept - most of the weapons do pretty much the same thing. Many people defend it with the argument that it's variety comes from the different kinds of ammo, but that honestly only doesn't really help when most ammunition types just add simple effects such as explosions, homing, faster speed etc. There are some unique ones, such as holy arrows which summon stars, but... Not enough to make the class interesting in my eyes.

Summoner. This would've been number 2... But it has so much wasted potential. The idea of having your own squad of little helpers is so amazing, but the execution of this idea is extremely lacking. Almost every minion feels the same, with the only one I find truly unique and interesting being the desert tiger staff, due to it's unique pounce attack. Other than that, most of the variety comes from whips and sentries (which are criminally underrated for something that's pretty much free damage). It could have so much potential with things such as minions that heal the player and their allies in multiplayer, grant various buffs to other minions, spawn smaller backup minions... But sadly, we have what we have
Unfortunately I don’t think giving passive buffs to yourself or allies is really balance-able. Just 1hp/sec already makes a single minion extremely strong, similar with almost any other stat except defense, buffs to other minions seems like a slippery slope because it could easily snowball with whips, smaller backup minions... depends, actually. That one might not be that hard. I would like to point out the Stardust Cell staff as that minion is actually very unique in that it actually fires extra homing projectiles at the stuff you’re hitting with your main weapon even while it targets other things or while it would normally be out of range.

In my opinion:

1. Ranged
2. Mage
3. Summoner
4. Melee

I feel that ranged is the best class in the game mostly because of how big of an arsenal it has and how powerful it can be in most major stages of the game.
In pre, it has the bows and Boomstick which can be obtained nearly straight away while mage and summoner can have trouble at early game because their early game is most up to luck for gems/Water bolt or Finch Staff find.
And in hardmode, lots of upgrades such as onyx blaster and dart weapons are available straight away.

Melee may be one of the two viable classes in extremely early game but after the first 2 bosses it falls of exponentially because of the lack of range and even with range, the projectiles aren't as good as many other classes ranged abilities.

I mostly put mage on second because of how powerful it can become in hardmode because of how many op weapons it has, but I couldn't put it at first because of early game progression for the class and a lack of really good weapons except shadow chests weapons and water bolt.

And summoner is kind of an odd bag for me, I haven't really played much of the class myself but I can say of what I have played of it is that it is the support class of terraria because minion damage isn't the main damage that should be being dealt. I know whips can help with this 'problem' I said but most upgrades in early game and early hardmode are decently difficult to get for summoners but since I haven't played much of the class I can't really say much more about it.

And for multiplayer:

1. Melee
2. Mage
3. Summoner
4. Ranged

Quick reasons for this one:
Melee - Tankiest and most aggro allowing other classes to wail on bosses
Mage - Lots of AoE helps in Hardmode
Summoner - Good support as I said in the single player summoner bit
Ranged - The least supportive of all classes in the game because of low aggro making every other class take the hits without giving the other teammates any good help.

God, why did I spend so long on this.
And it's so bad.
summoner doesnt have any problems after u get flinx gear, also thhis is the same list i made in a reddit post lmao, we had the same ranking,

Back
Top Bottom