PC Hardmode "V" projection for this map

malakhglitch

Official Terrarian
I have defeated EoC, BoC, Queen Bee and Skeletron and I am now in the long process of preparing for hardmode. I have explored the Dungeon and am in the process of removing all spikes and looting anything lootable. I am also in the process of exploring the Underground Jungle and Snow biomes. The isolation of the pre-hardmode Crimson is also under way.

Question is... Post-WoF how would the "V" of Crimson/Hallow look like in this large map? Would it hit my base or floating islands?

world 1.png

The world spawn point is where I am, the queen bee head, and to the left of me are two hellevators; one right under my base and the other is part of my pre=hardmode Crimson containment efforts. Any help with projectig the Crimson-Hallow "V" would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there is areal way to accurately predict how your V is going to turn out.

This may just be a coincidence, so don't take it as fact, but personally for my worlds I've noticed that the hardmode corruption/crimson line tends to originate on or near an already existing corruption/crimson biome most of the time.

I'm not sure if there is areal way to accurately predict how your V is going to turn out.

This may just be a coincidence, so don't take it as fact, but personally for my worlds I've noticed that the hardmode corruption/crimson line tends to originate on or near an already existing corruption/crimson biome most of the time.
I get this too. But what I would suggest is to make a second world for hardmode so you can keep your current one safe. Once you get to the point where you can clentaminate, you can activate hardmode on your first world and cleanse it. But by then you may not even want to.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I get this too. But what I would suggest is to make a second world for hardmode so you can keep your current one safe. Once you get to the point where you can clentaminate, you can activate hardmode on your first world and cleanse it. But by then you may not even want to.

Thankfully I don't need to do that. My friend has a hardmode world and I can visit that. She even gave me demon wings so now I have wings in a pre-hardmode world. That's what's so great about this game, you can play with your friends. I even inspired her to generate a new world after such a long time... took her 5 seconds to kill the EoC with her hardmode items.

1. The edge of your jungle/snow biome is likely to get struck by the V/X of the crimson/hallowed.

2. You're in a large world. It'll take a stupidly long amount of time for the crimson/hallowed to dominate a good portion of your map. I still don't know why people want to contain it so much when the threat is just so weak.

1. The edge of your jungle/snow biome is likely to get struck by the V/X of the crimson/hallowed.

2. You're in a large world. It'll take a stupidly long amount of time for the crimson/hallowed to dominate a good portion of your map. I still don't know why people want to contain it so much when the threat is just so weak.

because of the spread rate of crimson grass, the jungle will be eaten up within an hour

Not only is the surface jungle pretty much useless (and very easy to re-create), it really doesn't happen that quickly. Not even at Pre-Plantera spread rate. I know this, because I've personally taken a long time on these things before and it still wouldn't spread everywhere.

The jungle is not converted as fast as any other biomes, so you can probably get what you need before its lost. Even then, its easy to make an artificial jungle.

So hellevators within the first 1/3rd of each should help check the spread in addition to isolation procedures for the central area, yes?

This will be the first time I will bring a world to hardmode, I just started playing about 3 weeks ago, so yeah I want to be prepared.

Last edited:
Presumably, however I am not completely sure how far out the strips can go. It's not that far, but I do remember having to travel a good distance just to get to the Hallowed.

In my past experiences, the middle of the V/X seems to generate above the defeated Wall of Flesh, EXCEPT it seems that at a certain point on the right and left sides, it will snap the center to the middle of the map, as to not get a / or \ if you defeat it right at the edge of your world.

I could be wrong though. But usually the middle of the V/X is in the center of my world, as I often start the WoF battle at the edge of the world and defeat it about a minute later (mage OP), where I may be in that "snap to center" zone still. Where I have fought and won against it near my base's hellavator, the center seems to be positioned left or right more.

Hope this helps, even if I am actually wrong! :p

Hmmm, I've never really asked myself this question, it has now piqued my interest.

world 1.png

I have made an estimation from my experience here, and I am very interested to see the actual result. Do mind that the estimation is pretty rough and that I am 99% sure that the V-generation is actually somewhat random meaning that it can't actually be accurately predicted.

Otherwise I'd say your jungle is safe, I have never in any playthrough of Terraria seen a jungle be hit by the Hallow/Crimson/Corruption generation in the beginning of hardmode, the snow has however been hit a few times, however then it has been closer to the center of the map. It should however be noted that this jungle is closer to the center than usual, so the generation might come close to the jungle's edge. My base has never been hit, not even when it wasn't built in center, either way my original spawnpoint has never been hit, your base should be safe.

If you want an actual answer on how the V is generated you might want to ask @W1K, W1K is an expert on Terraria's mechanics (I'd say, at least).

To be honest, without TEdit, your world will be screwed no matter what. Every demon altar smashed can spawn new ebonstone/crimstone/pearlstone SOMEWHERE in the world; which WILL grow out of control. Clearing out just one of those Crimson tunnels will create splotches of Crimson and Hallow everywhere, good luck finding them BEFORE they grow out of control. Whats worse, is that crimson and hallow will spread like mad until Plantera is defeated, making those tiny bits grow into monsters very fast.

@Snickerbobble and @FlakMaster : Thanks!

@Lord Ruby It seems I made a boo-boo in updating my image and forgot to move to the original spawn point, so here's the latest image with the center of the map marked as a pink star. It would be the one under a rope line to my ice sky bridge.

world 1.png

Also, thanks for pointing me to an expert. Should I PM him or can I expect him to show up here now that you have mentioned his name

EDIT:

Based on what you guys have told me this would be the range of the V, right?

projection.png

Last edited:
It doesn't always work as a 'V'. There are three different types of forms.

We have the split \ / and then the V and then the X. Where it could spawn is beyond your prediction. It doesn't necessarily lead to the direct centre of the map, either.

It doesn't always work as a 'V'. There are three different types of forms.

We have the split \ / and then the V and then the X. Where it could spawn is beyond your prediction. It doesn't necessarily lead to the direct centre of the map, either.

I was aware of that. I took into account the possibility of the split V, V and X configurations, which is why my prediction area is quite wide. Double what is the average width of the spawned areas by my calculation. Of course that's with the assumption that it will spawn in the center of the map. I've already finished the first quarantine area and will be making two hellevators and then it's back to looting the dungeon before building the WoF path through the Underwold.

The mechanism is random but seems to have a set range. There are basically 2 starting points which are calculated, their Y velocity is set but their X speed is always opposite and toward each others (hence why the "V" shape). Not entirelly sure where they start, most likelly the top of the world itself (which means it can possibly affect floating islands too). Also looks like it does not depend on WoF's position at all. The way of predicting where the line will be is basically:
-Divide world in two equal parts from the middle, so that you have an equal long left and right side.
-Identify which side has the dungeon.
-On the side with no dungeon, line will start in a random location ranging from 3/5 to 4/5 of it on the left side, or from 2/5 to 3/5 if on the right side.
-On the side with the dungeon, line will start in a random location rangring from 2/5 to 3/5 of it on the left side, or from 3/5 to 4/5 if on the right side.
-It's impossible to predict what side will have hallow or corruption as it is entirelly random, but the horizontal speed of the line is 3/5 of vertical speed, so have fun trying to predict the potential trajectories.

EDIT: Other things to point out, the area that will be changed changes in size depending on the world's size and a random value that increases its size for a max of 25% from the minimum. The "line" can also be quite of a curve as X speed is modified (either increased or decreased randomly) every tick but average the straight line has to be taken into consideration as no variation can be predicted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom