tModLoader TerraTemp (Temperature/Climate Mod)

I may eventually want to use this mod for my Adventure Mode pack. Are you open to a few PR changes? Basically only API-type stuff.

I may eventually want to use this mod for my Adventure Mode pack. Are you open to a few PR changes? Basically only API-type stuff.

Of course; any PRs are welcome with good reason. If it's just API stuff, it shouldn't be anything too crazy, I'm sure.

interesting issue found recently I recently installed "Another RPG Mod" (have a bunch more but it was working just fine till this one) the UI disappears for the thermometer. "Another RPG Mod" apparently removes the base games health UI and replaces it with its own. I am not quite sure why it does this mind you and does not affect any other aspects of your mod so far just how the thermometer UI appears (sadly it doesn't) figured I would let you know about this conflict as it makes it very hard to know the temperature of the areas. any chance the UI could eventually be something similar to the life form analyzer/depth meter etc or getting the info by scrolling over the item in your inventory itself as a backup in case of other mods that delete the graphical in game UI ?

*Update* Talked to "Another RPG Mod" they now have an option to reenabled the old games UI which brings back your UI

Last edited:
just a few suggestions I had thought of while playing this mod as I have died several times while in my house which seems to be hard to keep at a comfortable temp in game.
1 - while normal torches increase temp maybe ice torches should work in reverse ? sort of a cold fire torch ?
2 - some sort of placeable heater with a higher radius then fire/fireplace and higher temp ? capable of being turned on and off maybe ? partly to lower fireplace/campfire spam in houses (also maybe fireplace could get a bit of a bigger radius then the campfire making it sort of more of an upgrade considering it also uses more resources ?)
3 - fans so like a reverse campfire cools an area around it 2 sizes maybe small one with a small radius, larger one with a bigger radius but requires wiring making it something you need to gain a little later ?
3a - ceiling fans smaller to chandeliers
4 - air conditioner (hard mode placeable wall furniture maybe so requires cogs or something from the steampunker ?) a combination of fan/fireplace that keeps a general area at a set comfortable temperature

and with those out of the way I have noticed that the debuff for hypothermia and heatstroke (I think I got those right) do not have timers on them so they do not wear off if you go near a fire or get shelter from the heat. I have found I can manually turn them off once my temperature is in a safe zone again. I am unsure if this is a bug, mod conflict, or working as intended though but figured I would bring it up here

Very interesting the idea of the mod, can give more immersion to the world. I already thought about playing with the "Various Weathers' mod installed as well, I think it can be a great combination of weather mods.

just a few suggestions I had thought of while playing this mod as I have died several times while in my house which seems to be hard to keep at a comfortable temp in game.
1 - while normal torches increase temp maybe ice torches should work in reverse ? sort of a cold fire torch ?
2 - some sort of placeable heater with a higher radius then fire/fireplace and higher temp ? capable of being turned on and off maybe ? partly to lower fireplace/campfire spam in houses (also maybe fireplace could get a bit of a bigger radius then the campfire making it sort of more of an upgrade considering it also uses more resources ?)
3 - fans so like a reverse campfire cools an area around it 2 sizes maybe small one with a small radius, larger one with a bigger radius but requires wiring making it something you need to gain a little later ?
3a - ceiling fans smaller to chandeliers
4 - air conditioner (hard mode placeable wall furniture maybe so requires cogs or something from the steampunker ?) a combination of fan/fireplace that keeps a general area at a set comfortable temperature

and with those out of the way I have noticed that the debuff for hypothermia and heatstroke (I think I got those right) do not have timers on them so they do not wear off if you go near a fire or get shelter from the heat. I have found I can manually turn them off once my temperature is in a safe zone again. I am unsure if this is a bug, mod conflict, or working as intended though but figured I would bring it up here

Some good suggestions here I will say, dying in the house can be a bit frustrating. It used to be even worse, funnily enough! But something like a heater or cooler can be implemented, shouldn't be too hard. Thanks for the suggestions! Also, as for the debuffs, they are working as intended; you get those debuffs when your body temperature gets too high or too low, and you must re-enter your "comfortable range" (hover over the thermometer UI) to have said debuffs removed.

Very interesting the idea of the mod, can give more immersion to the world. I already thought about playing with the "Various Weathers' mod installed as well, I think it can be a great combination of weather mods.

Immersion is always nice, yeah? Also Various Weathers is a really cool mod and some of the events are very much compatible with this mod, so if you combine them I think you'll enjoy it :)

I'm a careful fan of Various Weathers (I'd love to say big fan), but I had to remove it recently due to two issues. First, it seems to be bugged in the sense of growing bajillions pumpkins out of the floor all over the place fairly regularly (seriously, you end up with so many pumpkin pies, you don't know what to do with all of them. Even if you log off the moment you see it happening, you'll still have to pick up hundreds of them to clean up the world a little), and the vast majority of its weathers seem to systematically come with Mighty Wind debuff which essentially prevents you from moving either left or right most of the time, causing you to either die to hazards all the time because you can't dodge or move properly, or spend your time fighting against the wind instead of doing... anything else. Even indoors, as it's apparently not stopped by walls as it's supposed to be.

It's an awesome mod with tons of potential, and I love the idea and the content and variety, but until at least the latter issue is fixed, it's going to stay off my modlist for now. I do keep it around so I can watch out for possible updates, though.

@MutantWafflez
Hello, I am a Chinese terraria player.This mod is really interesting!I like it very much.I think many people are like it, so can I post this mod on mcbbbs.net?I will mark the author and use the download address you provided.

@MutantWafflez
Hello, I am a Chinese terraria player.This mod is really interesting!I like it very much.I think many people are like it, so can I post this mod on mcbbbs.net?I will mark the author and use the download address you provided.

I'm not entirely sure if it's in my scope to say whether or not you can post the mod elsewhere, considering that it's already on the mod browser (unless access to that is blocked, for some reason), so I'm not entirely sure if I'm to say you can or not.

I was wondering if the thermometer UI could be downscaled just a little bit in order to make it easier to fit in with various other UI elements? It's awesome, though. I'm having a blast playing with this mod!

I was wondering if the thermometer UI could be downscaled just a little bit in order to make it easier to fit in with various other UI elements? It's awesome, though. I'm having a blast playing with this mod!

Yes, that is actually planned for the next minor update, shouldn't be too long until then. It'll add a few small features as well as some config options for things like that.

Glad you're having fun with it! :)

Yes, that is actually planned for the next minor update, shouldn't be too long until then. It'll add a few small features as well as some config options for things like that.

Glad you're having fun with it! :)

Out of curiosity, and by no means do I intend to add pressure on you given that this mod is already freaking awesome, have you given some thought as to how to implement compatibility for modded outfits/armors/accessories?

In case you are open to suggestions - and please take this with a grain of salt, I am no modder myself nor do I have the slightest idea whether what I'm suggesting is simple or ridiculous to make - I had an idea about that. Basically, I was thinking there could be some sort of menu or window or whatever in which users can basically put/select an item and tell the mod 'Okay, this armor/outfit/accessory is supposed to protect against heat/cold at X level', and then save it, and bam, the game now considers the item as such, allowing for a certain number of such items to be saved at once, say 10-20, allowing people to set handle modded content themselves, without adding need for patches/constant updates for popular mods/etc.

Thoughts/feasibility?

Out of curiosity, and by no means do I intend to add pressure on you given that this mod is already freaking awesome, have you given some thought as to how to implement compatibility for modded outfits/armors/accessories?

In case you are open to suggestions - and please take this with a grain of salt, I am no modder myself nor do I have the slightest idea whether what I'm suggesting is simple or ridiculous to make - I had an idea about that. Basically, I was thinking there could be some sort of menu or window or whatever in which users can basically put/select an item and tell the mod 'Okay, this armor/outfit/accessory is supposed to protect against heat/cold at X level', and then save it, and bam, the game now considers the item as such, allowing for a certain number of such items to be saved at once, say 10-20, allowing people to set handle modded content themselves, without adding need for patches/constant updates for popular mods/etc.

Thoughts/feasibility?

Everything is pretty much feasible, but I'm not sure about complete player control over stats. I will need to do more brainstorming and potentially simple add in a ton of modded armors myself for compatibilty.

perhaps you could attach heat/cold resistance to materials used? could help somewhat for new armors using existing materials however for items made from new materials that would end up useless or at least with reduced effectiveness. it there any way to tell the mod to detect what area a material is from ? or perhaps detect the needed pickaxe power (then just a basic comfort bonus to materials/armors that cant be detected as easily) ? just throwing stuff out there you may have even thought of these to begin with

Everything is pretty much feasible, but I'm not sure about complete player control over stats. I will need to do more brainstorming and potentially simple add in a ton of modded armors myself for compatibilty.
Alright. I was trying to think of a simpler way, but if you're actually willing to include modded armors, I'm certainly not gonna complain. Do you take specific mod requests? :p

Alright. I was trying to think of a simpler way, but if you're actually willing to include modded armors, I'm certainly not gonna complain. Do you take specific mod requests? :p

At first I think I'll do the most popular content mods first, calamity, thorium, eytc, and then maybe after those are done take requests for some smaller mods. It will likely take a ton of time though so I'll have to see what to do about it. Honestly just a lot of brainstorming from here on out.

At first I think I'll do the most popular content mods first, calamity, thorium, eytc, and then maybe after those are done take requests for some smaller mods. It will likely take a ton of time though so I'll have to see what to do about it. Honestly just a lot of brainstorming from here on out.
I still encourage you to go about allowing proper cross-mod interaction so other mods can add cross-mod implementation between your mod and other mods, especially those that are more niche (if you haven't already, that is).

I still encourage you to go about allowing proper cross-mod interaction so other mods can add cross-mod implementation between your mod and other mods, especially those that are more niche (if you haven't already, that is).

As far as I'm aware, it should be possible granted strong dependecies are used. If an entire mod is made for specifically adding TerraTemp compatibility for, say, Calamity armors and such, if that mod strongly depends on both calamity and terratemp it should just be as simple as adding new ItemChange instances or SetBonusChange instances or whatever else change to the end of their respective lists. I haven't gone about testing making my own "dependency" mod, but as far as I am aware it should have no problem working granted the mod adds everything to the necessary lists properly.

As far as I'm aware, it should be possible granted strong dependecies are used. If an entire mod is made for specifically adding TerraTemp compatibility for, say, Calamity armors and such, if that mod strongly depends on both calamity and terratemp it should just be as simple as adding new ItemChange instances or SetBonusChange instances or whatever else change to the end of their respective lists. I haven't gone about testing making my own "dependency" mod, but as far as I am aware it should have no problem working granted the mod adds everything to the necessary lists properly.
I'll go ahead and test that in a couple of days. I'll make a PR if there are any complications that need fixing.

Back
Top Bottom