Sprites The River (Alternate Underworld)

Uh, no?

Kill WoF = World changes to Hardmode, the V spread happens.
Kill Ferryman = World changes to Hardmode, V spread happens.

Literally the same thing.

Codewise, the WoF is coded to trigger the Hardmode transition and the V-spread upon death, if the world is not Hardmode already. It's a simple action that you call with the code, like

turn_world_to_hardmode();

or something like that. This bit of code could easily be placed in the Ferryman too, the exact same way. In fact, you could stick this code in the freaking Eye of Cthulhu if you wanted, and it would act exactly the same way.

EDIT: Also consider this: Breaking Shadow Orbs calls code that enables meteorites and goblin army spawns. When they added the Crimson Hearts, all they had to do was have the Crimson Hearts call this same code, because the same thing happens when you break a Crimson Heart.

EDIT2: As to coding its AI, IMO, use similar AI that the Pirate Ship uses, and instead of dropping pirates off, it would instead drop ghosts off and perhaps instead of cannon balls, I dunno, have it showing spirit fireballs or something at the player.
Here is some proof that it will take a lot of redoing:

Plantera's Bulb: Have defeated mech bosses and WoF
Random mech spawns: Have defeated WoF and smashed a demon/Crimson altar
Golem: Have defeated Plantera, mech bosses and WoF
Moon Lord: Have defeated Golem and WoF
Pirate Invasion: Have defeated WoF
Goblin Summoner: Have defeated WoF
No Meteor Head drops: Have defeated WoF
Rune Wizard: Have defeated WoF
Lunatic Cultist: Have defeated Golem, Plantera, Mech and WoF

Also the Transition from normal mode to hardmode is a lot harder to code than turn_world_to_hardmode.

Here is some proof that it will take a lot of redoing:

Plantera's Bulb: Have defeated mech bosses and WoF
Random mech spawns: Have defeated WoF and smashed a demon/Crimson altar
Golem: Have defeated Plantera, mech bosses and WoF
Moon Lord: Have defeated Golem and WoF
Pirate Invasion: Have defeated WoF
Goblin Summoner: Have defeated WoF
No Meteor Head drops: Have defeated WoF
Rune Wizard: Have defeated WoF
Lunatic Cultist: Have defeated Golem, Plantera, Mech and WoF

I'm pretty sure that "Have Defeated WoF" is actually "Is World Hardmode?" in the game's actual code.

And if not, I'm fairly sure there's way you could make the game think that the Ferryman is the same thing as the WoF.

I'm pretty sure that "Have Defeated WoF" is actually "Is World Hardmode?" in the game's actual code.

And if not, I'm fairly sure there's way you could make the game think that the Ferryman is the same thing as the WoF.
No it's not. It is have defeated Wall of Flesh. Hardmode is just what we call that stage of game.
I guess they could make the game think that the Ferryman is the WoF

No it's not. It is have defeated Wall of Flesh. Hardmode is just what we call that stage of game.

Each world has a "Was this boss killed?" data point for each boss in the world file.

I don't think it'd be that difficult to have the Ferryman check the WoF box when it is killed as well as call the code that turns the world to Hardmode and the code that causes the V spread. Heck, you can open the world in TEdit and check boxes for each boss. It's a simple boolean for each boss.

What @Xylia initially said is correct: there is no dedicated variable for whether or not you have killed the Wall of Flesh. There is a variable for whether or not a world is in Hardmode (which for all practical purposes is the same as "has the WoF been defeated?"), which is set the moment you kill the WoF, but could realistically be set at any moment, including killing the Ferryman. So replacing the Wall of Flesh by anything, like the Ferryman, would not cause progression issues as long as it sets the Hardmode flag, which is literally a single method call. ;)

What @Xylia initially said is correct: there is no dedicated variable for whether or not you have killed the Wall of Flesh. There is a variable for whether or not a world is in Hardmode (which for all practical purposes is the same as "has the WoF been defeated?"), which is set the moment you kill the WoF, but could realistically be set at any moment, including killing the Ferryman. So replacing the Wall of Flesh by anything, like the Ferryman, would not cause progression issues as long as it sets the Hardmode flag, which is literally a single method call. ;)

Okay, so it *IS* a "Hardmode" flag, rather than "WoF Killed" Flag.

I thought so, because in the course of normal play it would be impossible to kill the WoF and not get Hardmode, or have Hardmode without killing the WoF, as the two must happen together in normal play.

But, I never looked at the code myself, but I suspected it was like that.

It would affect progression. In fact dramatically because they would have to change the spawn requirements for a whole lot of bosses
not necessarily. I'm no coder but I'm pretty sure that all that would need to be done is to add the trigger for hardmode to the Ferryman's death as well. It's not something that is bound to the WoF.

EDIT: nevermind, looks like Xylia and Kazzy have already cleared that stuff up.

honestly i love this! forgive me if this is annoying but could i try to to add this to my mod?

"As I've told many -- I'm not interested in allowing just anyone to mod my content in. BUT -- that doesn't mean I don't have someone in mind if I wanted to pursue that path." -Izzabelle

"Also, I'd prefer no one mod my content." -Izzabelle

Generally, it's rather poor form to just steal peoples' assets without their permission.

However, what you do on your own computer is your business. Re-Logic isn't going to come to your house and kick your door in if you decided to mod this stuff yourself. Just.... don't try to distribute it, because it would most likely get kicked off of the workshop/TML browser.

Generally, it's rather poor form to just steal peoples' assets without their permission.

However, what you do on your own computer is your business. Re-Logic isn't going to come to your house and kick your door in if you decided to mod this stuff yourself. Just.... don't try to distribute it, because it would most likely get kicked off of the workshop/TML browser.
um... i did ask
"As I've told many -- I'm not interested in allowing just anyone to mod my content in. BUT -- that doesn't mean I don't have someone in mind if I wanted to pursue that path." -Izzabelle

"Also, I'd prefer no one mod my content." -Izzabelle
ok

Back
Top Bottom