Biomes & Nature Newer Terrain

Up until 1.4, it was fairly common to spawn next to or occasionally even in the Snow Biome. It was moved farther away from spawn in 1.4 because it was almost always present in whatever your cave was.

It was fine because Snow Biome isn’t very threatening, the enemies are basically just the same as the Forest ones. If anything I’d allow the player to rarely spawn in the Snow Biome for variety, but nothing past that.

Even the Desert would be a nightmare to spawn in thanks to Vultures, which are difficult to deal with early game. Much more dangerous than the average Slime, at least. The Jungle has Snatchers and Jungle Bats - good luck killing those with a Rich Mahogany Bow. And the Corruption and Crimson speak for themself.

Every Surface biome aside from the Ocean and the Forest all have too OP gear or are too dangerous to make a good spawn.

Well, since this is a sandbox game, you can make it as long as you want. You’ll just need a DCU and Architect Gizmo Pack
I mean, that’s not the point. It takes so much work to extend a Forest Biome into a Jungle, Desert or Snow. The dude was asking for the forests to be bigger on world gen so they take up more space while exploring.

The desert (at least the main one that’s known to be incredibly difficult) is actually a counterpart to the Ice biome as it always generates on the opposite side of the world to it.
I don’t think this is true, the underground desert doesn’t always spawn on the same side of the world as the jungle. It usually does, but I’ve seen it on the same side as the snow biome before. Can say with certainty that it happened in 1.3 and can happen in at least the for the worthy seed in 1.4 (haven’t done enough random world seeds for normal seeds to see it in 1.4, can’t say with certainty that it can happen but I’d imagine it can)

I don’t think this is true, the underground desert doesn’t always spawn on the same side of the world as the jungle. It usually does, but I’ve seen it on the same side as the snow biome before. Can say with certainty that it happened in 1.3 and can happen in at least the for the worthy seed in 1.4 (haven’t done enough random world seeds for normal seeds to see it in 1.4, can’t say with certainty that it can happen but I’d imagine it can)
For the Worthy and Drunk worlds actually change worldgen to be unusual. Non-special seeds will always have the desert opposite the snow.

For the Worthy and Drunk worlds actually change worldgen to be unusual. Non-special seeds will always have the desert opposite the snow.
Yeah you can actually see this when the ice spawns on the jungle side. The biomes combine due to both of them being pretty big, so that's probably the reason they don't spawn on the same side.

I'm pretty sure deserts are used as "transitions" between biomes, like, the forest and the jungle.
Actually this is not specified. It is only specified that the jungle is on the side away from the snow and dungeon, and the underground desert to be away from the side of the snow.
___
The "forest" biome is used when there are no other biomes. If you mine away the non-underground-desert-desert (expect half a inventory of sand blocks), it will cease to be a desert.
The criteria is .. I think it was 300 sand blocks in active rectangle.
___
ANYHOW, the wiki says that "Each map will generally contain at least two Desert areas." But this is a WIKI and is made by players.
___
Reminds me of the underground minecarts. As much as I hate caves I liked those a lot.
___
The dude was asking for the forests to be bigger on world gen so they take up more space while exploring.
I didn't ask for that. I asked for more varied terrain (e.g. hills, small water ponds), not biome.
You’ll just need a DCU and Architect Gizmo Pack
Agree. And that's why I actually take the time to get architect gizmo pack pre-skeletron.
But I incline on getting a "reasonably desirable" terrain via a noise generator and not ... something overtly artificial.
___
It takes so much work to extend a Forest Biome into a Jungle, Desert or Snow.
Kind of. Half an hour of gaming and I can replace 700 sand with dirt.
But if you really wanted a good map you can use map editors. Like TEdit for example.
___
It's a disappoint that they make the snow biome smaller. Guess I might ask for it to be expanded for a bit.. maybe.
Maybe. Maybe I'll TEdit it instead. Pushing back stone with ice in cavern layer is extremely difficult and painful. Not to say that both of these are non-renewable.
But again, ice biome have a tremendous amount of exclusive things, although each biome have a large amount of exclusive things. But not every one had a counterpart of enchanted sword or boomerang, and not every one have a frozen turtle shell or toy sled.
___
While that is a good point, Frostburn in general is a much more widely available buff than On Fire! is.
Way to see how Frostburn make a "more widely available buff". It is a step up from On Fire! which make it slightly less wide available (as ice torch require torch) but less enemies are immune to it.
___
Anyhow since people are misunderstanding (or not reading things) I've decided to add notice to post 1. Please consider fixing irrelevant discussions on (e.g. how corruption/crimsone/desert is more difficult) as this post do not talk about the relocation of these biomes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom