PC What is the weakest class in your opinion, as of the release of 1.4?

Solar Flare Armour is not something that should be looked at, because it is endgame. Crystal Assassin is a multi-class armour, and its way of dashing is more reliable and consistent.
Could they be talking Shield of Cthulhu? It's not class specific but I can at least see why one would think it's a melee thing.

Solar Flare Armour is not something that should be looked at, because it is endgame. Crystal Assassin is a multi-class armour, and its way of dashing is more reliable and consistent.
Every class has that. Melee just has a second option for it.
I don’t even rely on Solar Flare armor for dashing anyway. You lose the dash if you take too much damage, which will only hurt your mobility and result in you taking even more damage. I always use Master Ninja Gear as backup even when wearing Solar Flare armor.

summoner, but only bc the terraprisma is hard to get
I hate a lot of what people like to spread as Summoner meta, and Terraprisma rushing is one of them. You’re perfectly capable without the Terraprisma, you could just as easily use Desert Tiger and Ravens into Xeno into Stardust Dragon and you’re easily set for post-Plantera. Post-Plantera is already Summoner’s strongest point, you shouldn’t need the equivalent of a Moon Lord drop to powerforce it.

Edit: sorry, this came off as kind of accusatory. Not trying to be rude, just saying I disagree with rushing Terraprisma.

Last edited:
Summoner is only bad if you haven't played it since 1.3.5.
i have to second derpling here, summoner requires skill and game knowledge to find access to its more valuable class crucial weopans and armor, plus doing battle requires turning every fight bullet due to the mechanics of whips, but if you have the prowess and dedication summoner is the overall best class in every (other earily, easily game) stage in the game, people just over look summoner cause its so much work to do. also I'm pretty sure derpling here does not mean the shield of cuthulu, he is referring to master ninja gear, a item I use in my loadout for every class pre lunar.

that aside we can also rule out melle, I mean seriously you need no maintenance take no damage and do tons of damage at every range in seconds with no mana or ammo to slow you down. mage is another easy one because it has no many non combat bonuses, and almost every body (myself included I'm just that mainstream) uses it. ranger is also really good because in every stage other than the purest form of endgame, it is god tier.

so that leaves us with a clear winner for the weakest worst, dog water class... THROWING! I'm serious why has nobody said this yet it becomes completely useless after wof and doesn't even have a celestial pillar, plus other than grenades and javielin earily pre harmode can any of us really say we used throwing weopan for anything but the novelty, I mean come on I'm disappointed in you guys LOL.

BTW im only joking, I love this forum. UwU

Last edited:
To be honest every class is strong at some things and weak at others, so overall I don't think that there is a weakest class. Melee's great for events, for regular enemy killing, and for surviving for the longest in multiplayer, but isn't very good in boss fights. Ranged is great at boss fights because of high DPS and alright survivability, but isn't very good for standard enemies. Magic is a jack-of-all-trades because some weapons can hit enemies behind blocks while others have great piercing for events and others have great single-target DPS for boss fights. Summoner is very useful for dealing lots of damage and for getting rid of enemies while building, or fishing, or mining, etc., but can't sustain hits very well.

How does melee have the best mobility or accessory variety?
Accessories, consumables and armours that buff Melee have a propensity for boosting movement speed, and not just the Solar Flare Armour, but also the likes of Shadow Armour and Ancient Shadow Armour (which are attainable pre-boss), Hallowed Armour (with Mask) and Valhalla Knight. Accessory variety refers to the various accessory options that synergise well with the Melee class, which doesn't just include the Fire Gauntlet tree, but also the Celestial Shell tree, and virtually any accessory which promotes high mobility as other classes often have to sacrifice slots (Summoner in particular) for specified accessories while Melee can adopt a more generalised accessory loadout very easily. Mage does not necessarily have more accessories than Melee either, if you look at the Magic and Melee weapon pages respectively, you'll notice that the page for Magic includes all buffs, not just accessory buffs, as well as universal accessories like the Avenger Emblem and Eye of the Golem. In fact, if you only account for accessories geared towards a single class, Melee has 14 accessories, Mage has 12.

Accessories, consumables and armours that buff Melee have a propensity for boosting movement speed, and not just the Solar Flare Armour, but also the likes of Shadow Armour and Ancient Shadow Armour (which are attainable pre-boss), Hallowed Armour (with Mask) and Valhalla Knight.
Movement Speed is an objectively bad stat. Wings cap your movement speed which makes the stat do literally nothing. Running boots also do too.

Accessories, consumables and armours that buff Melee have a propensity for boosting movement speed, and not just the Solar Flare Armour, but also the likes of Shadow Armour and Ancient Shadow Armour (which are attainable pre-boss), Hallowed Armour (with Mask) and Valhalla Knight.
Movement speed has almost no effect on anything. It only slightly increases acceleration on the ground. Real mobility comes from aerial speed and dashing. And don't say anything about Solar Flare Armour's dash. It is the worst way of dashing because it becomes impossible if you get hit a few times, while every other method of dashing can be activated anytime.

Movement Speed is an objectively bad stat. Wings cap your movement speed which makes the stat do literally nothing. Running boots also do too.
There are no objectively bad stats. I wouldn't use the word "objectively" too liberally unless you're referring to a mechanic in a vacuum where one has a clear numeric advantage over the other, so a weapon with the same function that does more DPS for example. Wings and boots are universals for just about everyone so you're not sacrificing anything by having better acceleration and horizontal mobility before you reach the speed cap, which only further increases survivability.
Movement speed has almost no effect on anything. It only slightly increases acceleration on the ground. Real mobility comes from aerial speed and dashing. And don't say anything about Solar Flare Armour's dash. It is the worst way of dashing because it becomes impossible if you get hit a few times, while every other method of dashing can be activated anytime.
It absolutely has an effect. If you apply a sufficient level of reductionism then even commonly praised attributes like damage can be equated to only seconds of difference in killing bosses, the difference is here that every class will already be using the likes of wings and boots, base movement speed is only a boon to other various forms of mobility, regardless of whether or not they're more important. Solar Flare's dash is perfectly functional by the way, even if you discard the likes of the Master Ninja Gear for it then it then you can dash infinitely if you don't get hit, dash three times in succession even if you do, and it recovers the charges in seconds. If you're getting hit so much that having no dashes left is a real problem (especially on higher difficulties), then you're probably already going to die.

Saying melee is the worst class feels a bit trite, but I would still agree. It's definitely not unviable, but I dunno. It's not the strongest class.

Apologies in advance for rearranging your quotes so much, I don't mean to misinterpret you. Anyway, Wall of Text has awoken!

There are no objectively bad stats. I wouldn't use the word "objectively" too liberally unless you're referring to a mechanic in a vacuum where one has a clear numeric advantage over the other, so a weapon with the same function that does more DPS for example. Wings and boots are universals for just about everyone so you're not sacrificing anything by having better acceleration and horizontal mobility before you reach the speed cap, which only further increases survivability.

It absolutely has an effect. If you apply a sufficient level of reductionism then even commonly praised attributes like damage can be equated to only seconds of difference in killing bosses, the difference is here that every class will already be using the likes of wings and boots, base movement speed is only a boon to other various forms of mobility, regardless of whether or not they're more important.
The hulk of your movement speed comes from class-neutral buffs such as Well Fed or Swiftness. Just the aforementioned buffs provide a 45% speed boost, dwarfing the 5% to 15% from melee specific gear. Hardly a point in favour of melee.
Movement speed itself is irrelevant because grappling, dashing, hovering or having the Soaring Insignia equipped will bring you to top speed instantly. The only time it really matters is pre boots early-game, or if you're running on asphalt; but I struggle to see when you would need to go above an easy benchmark like 80-90 mph.

Accessory variety refers to the various accessory options that synergise well with the Melee class, which doesn't just include the Fire Gauntlet tree, but also the Celestial Shell tree, and virtually any accessory which promotes high mobility as other classes often have to sacrifice slots (Summoner in particular) for specified accessories while Melee can adopt a more generalised accessory loadout very easily. Mage does not necessarily have more accessories than Melee either, if you look at the Magic and Melee weapon pages respectively, you'll notice that the page for Magic includes all buffs, not just accessory buffs, as well as universal accessories like the Avenger Emblem and Eye of the Golem. In fact, if you only account for accessories geared towards a single class, Melee has 14 accessories, Mage has 12.
I don't see how melee has more free accessory slots than other classes. Just looking at offence, Gauntlet and Shell are super common, plus there's Mech Glove or Yoyo Bag that benefit specific weapon types. Then Destroyer/Class Emblem which everyone runs. Melee's using just as many slots as everyone else for what it needs.

Saying melee is the worst class feels a bit trite, but I would still agree. It's definitely not unviable, but I dunno. It's not the strongest class.

Apologies in advance for rearranging your quotes so much, I don't mean to misinterpret you. Anyway, Wall of Text has awoken!

The hulk of your movement speed comes from class-neutral buffs such as Well Fed or Swiftness. Just the aforementioned buffs provide a 45% speed boost, dwarfing the 5% to 15% from melee specific gear. Hardly a point in favour of melee.
Movement speed itself is irrelevant because grappling, dashing, hovering or having the Soaring Insignia equipped will bring you to top speed instantly. The only time it really matters is pre boots early-game, or if you're running on asphalt; but I struggle to see when you would need to go above an easy benchmark like 80-90 mph.
Well Fed and Swiftness are temporary consumables you have to either acquire in limited portions in a single world through exploration, or actively craft. I don't see any one statistic being so valuable in this game that they're worth stockpiling or mass producing potions just to have a boost in them at all times when there is Melee gear out there that provides permanent bonuses to it. But as previously mentioned, Well Fed already offers other bonuses exclusively to Melee, so it's another example of the class integrating movement speed into other bonuses. Melee gear gives passive boosts of up to 30% movement speed with just the likes of Greaves, let alone a full armour set. Unless you see movement speed as being a sacrificial statistic where you need to weigh it up with other mechanics, but you never need to do that as movement speed bonuses are always integrated into gear and buffs with provide a plethora of other stat boosts. The only time you'll ever have movement speed competing for another accessory slot is the literal start of the game where you're just collecting the likes of Aglets and Shackles to fill up your accessory slots, and the former crafts into boots anyway.

Movement speed is not irrelevant (nor is any other mechanic) because of the existence of other manual movement mechanisms or mechanics, grappling requires the correct positioning and blocks to boost to top speed and the likes of dashing is restricted to only a few items before beating Plantera, though it also has a delay after boosting and enough of a burst that it's not always viable to constantly dash everywhere when you'll often have to manoeuvre around even the slightest blocks and inclines that dashing will have you running into instead. As for the Soaring Insignia, you could say that invalidates various instances of gear, but since the mechanic I'm mentioning is passively integrated into just about every good set of gear or buff, and because the Soaring Insignia is another accessory slot being consumed in place of other potentially more suitable accessories (which also requires boots and/or wings by extension to get any use out of it) it's not some universal invalidator.
I don't see how melee has more free accessory slots than other classes. Just looking at offence, Gauntlet and Shell are super common, plus there's Mech Glove or Yoyo Bag that benefit specific weapon types. Then Destroyer/Class Emblem which everyone runs. Melee's using just as many slots as everyone else for what it needs.
Only the Gauntlet and Shell are staples of the class, after that the accessory combination you mentioned is very clearly prioritising stacking only DPS, potentially towards a specific niche like yoyos. The Warrior Emblem isn't as important for Melee because a 15% damage boost isn't that much more than what any of the Gauntlets provide. Emblems are more important for other classes since much of their more significant damage accessory boosts are locked further into Hardmode, or split between sub-classes inside the class (like Ranged). Melee can just stack DPS, but also in addition to stacking defense with said Shell, and the likes of the SoC or the Berserker Glove which provide additional class-specific and universal boosts. It's not a class that has to compensate for squishiness or management of resources/mechanics like Ranger or Mage would have to do with ammo or mana respectively, and Melee has a broad range of accessories compared to something like Summoner with only a limited selection of accessories (many of them clones). That means that you could just invest entirely into one variable like DPS or defense, or you could easily adopt a general jack-of-all-trades loadout because Melee gear provides a spectrum of miscellaneous and ancillary boosts without sacrificing any attribute heavily.

Well Fed and Swiftness are temporary consumables you have to either acquire in limited portions in a single world through exploration, or actively craft. I don't see any one statistic being so valuable in this game that they're worth stockpiling or mass producing potions just to have a boost in them at all times when there is Melee gear out there that provides permanent bonuses to it. But as previously mentioned, Well Fed already offers other bonuses exclusively to Melee, so it's another example of the class integrating movement speed into other bonuses. Melee gear gives passive boosts of up to 30% movement speed with just the likes of Greaves, let alone a full armour set. Unless you see movement speed as being a sacrificial statistic where you need to weigh it up with other mechanics, but you never need to do that as movement speed bonuses are always integrated into gear and buffs with provide a plethora of other stat boosts. The only time you'll ever have movement speed competing for another accessory slot is the literal start of the game where you're just collecting the likes of Aglets and Shackles to fill up your accessory slots, and the former crafts into boots anyway.

Movement speed is not irrelevant (nor is any other mechanic) because of the existence of other manual movement mechanisms or mechanics, grappling requires the correct positioning and blocks to boost to top speed and the likes of dashing is restricted to only a few items before beating Plantera, though it also has a delay after boosting and enough of a burst that it's not always viable to constantly dash everywhere when you'll often have to manoeuvre around even the slightest blocks and inclines that dashing will have you running into instead. As for the Soaring Insignia, you could say that invalidates various instances of gear, but since the mechanic I'm mentioning is passively integrated into just about every good set of gear or buff, and because the Soaring Insignia is another accessory slot being consumed in place of other potentially more suitable accessories (which also requires boots and/or wings by extension to get any use out of it) it's not some universal invalidator.
I'm slightly confused about what you're trying to say, but I'll try to answer anyway.

Movement speed is a useless stat. There is no need to mass produce Well Fed and Swiftness to have high amounts of it all times, because it doesn't do much. But even if it was a very useful stat, you could have both melee gear and buffs like Well Fed and Swiftness, because they do stack. Assuming we're talking about boss fights, grappling works on platforms, and not only moves you quickly away from the boss, but also propels you in the grapple direction if you jump at the last second. Also, why does it matter that dashing is only restricted to a couple of things before Plantera? The Shield of Cthulhu is available close to the start of game, and can be used to get immunity frames. Crystal Assassin Armour has lots of other boosts beyond dashing. Also most bosses are fought above the surface, which removes the need to manoeuvre around blocks and inclines. Movement speed only has a momentary effect when you start running away from something, and continuously running away only works for the Eye of Cthulhu, King Slime and the Wall of Flesh. For every other boss, you'll be using double jumps, Rocket Boots or Wings to avoid them, which are not affected by movement speed.

Back
Top Bottom