Terraria State of the Game - February 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have half a memory of reading somewhere that a player-created map can automatically downloaded with the corresponding texture pack, but I can't remember if/where I read it. Is it correct or have I got my wires crossed?

Not in the system that we have - though, of course, you could download each individually... and each should function individually (or together).

A creator that intends them to be used together could always include a link to the other within their content description for each. ;)

hi guess check out my profile there im doing votes for the movie im making make sure you vote

hi guess check out my profile there im doing votes for the movie im making make sure you vote
Hi there @Roxy as a newer member you may not realize that if you’re posting in a thread it needs to be about the topic of the thread. :)

Looks like you’ve already made a new status on your profile. Your profile is here: Roxy - so any discussion about your movie and voting should be done over there since it’s not the topic of this thread.

@Loki i have a burning question that everyone might be wondering, will there be a camera mode for mobile and console with the keyboard and mouse support?!?!
Edit: I just really want an easier way to make thumbnails without being in pc and having UI in the way of the picture.

Last edited:
@Loki i have a burning question that everyone might be wondering, will there be a camera mode for mobile and console with the keyboard and mouse support?!?!
Edit: I just really want an easier way to make thumbnails without being in pc and having UI in the way of the picture.

I suspect Camera Mode might wind up being a 1.4.1 thing. It has some definitive challenges, and I am not sure I would want to hold the overall launch solely for that... if that makes sense?

I suspect Camera Mode might wind up being a 1.4.1 thing. It has some definitive challenges, and I am not sure I would want to hold the overall launch solely for that... if that makes sense?
Yes I just wanted to know if we will be getting camera mode at some point

My question is just when is console going to be getting journeys end it’s been a year at this point since it’s arrival on pc I’m getting kinda tired of waiting for it

My question is just when is console going to be getting journeys end it’s been a year at this point since it’s arrival on pc I’m getting kinda tired of waiting for it
Again, look at when they started development, sometime between September and October, they moved fast! And by the end of the year they got to alpha or pre alpha can’t remember which LOL. But seriously people need to stop looking when pc terrari came out and start looking when they started development because pipeworks handed it over to DR

It is commendable progress hitting alpha in 2 or 3 months but i more point that out because I feel staggered release updates are kinda a sucky business move/model because it causes things like this where one platform lags vastly behind so it might drive people away from purchasing your game on that platform. though I understand they are a small team so it makes sense to do it from their position

Again, look at when they started development, sometime between September and October, they moved fast! And by the end of the year they got to alpha or pre alpha can’t remember which LOL. But seriously people need to stop looking when pc terrari came out and start looking when they started development because pipeworks handed it over to DR
While I agree, people have been waiting now for a year what other people have been enjoying. It is understandable people are frustrated that the game is continually a year or more out of date. I know DR Studios took over development of console Terraria not long ago, so a delay is fully understandable from that perspective.

However, it's not as though Terraria is a recent game, or that console development started recently; more than enough time has elapsed to establish (and certainly enough sales to afford) an in house concurrent console development team.

It makes one feel as though console players are an afterthought. That alone is enough to frustrate.

No one is an afterthought, trust me. The amount of time and money invested really doesn't reflect that, and never has. No one sits around and says "man, to heck with <platform>, let's only focus on <other platforms>. We used to hear the same comments from Mobile vs Console... but in reverse. The reality is that we are always trying to find the best path to the best outcome as quickly as possible. In the Fast-Good-Cheap pyramid, we ignore the Cheap and focus on the other two - even replacing teams when we feel it is the best path. I get why it might not seem that way with the timeframes involved.

Let's break down Console 1.4 real fast... (as a reminder for context, 1.3 took 18 months from start to finish on consoles)
  • Mid-May 2020: 1.4 is finished
  • June 2020: DR is already hard at work on 1.4 Mobile, since that was their sole focus at the time
  • June-July 2020: Look at both PW and DR for how they might approach 1.4 on Console
  • August 2020: DR path for console looks to be the best way to get a quality version out at the fastest time, based on planned approach and how fast/well they have done Mobile 1.4 already (progress-to-date), this is shared with the community with the caveat that they need to finish up Mobile first
  • October 2020: Mobile 1.4 releases, hotfixes done
  • November 2020: first full-focus month for Console dev at DR
  • December 2020: Content Alpha done
  • January - March 2020: working on a litany of console-specific features and aspects: Save Transfers, User Interface, Achievements, Controls, etc. - each of which has some peculiarities specific to one console vs another. My understanding is that most of that is looking good - but you will see more in the SOTG.

If there is one thing I have learned in my time working with DR, it is that letting them have time to focus on quality pays off. They always find the way to deliver just a bit more. Example: Mobile community asks for "Legacy" controls... so DR adds the ability to make those... and then just also adds the ability to customize things to whatever you want, along with 4 hotswappable profiles. Then they do the same for gamepad and take that to the next level. In my opinion, these are things I wish every platform had - and I find the mobile gamepad to be the best one out there, personally, having logged 100's of hours on each platform.

Trust me, you will not find any team more passionate about doing right by Console Terrarians - outside of perhaps Re-Logic itself - than DR.

The whole notion of an "in house console team" ship sailed long ago way back when console began - not to mention the ramp up time would be intense. Terraria is not an easily-ported game for a variety of reasons.

I get it, and we love the passion and desire for things to get done - and they are getting done in spades... but this takes the time it does. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom