Weapons & Equip Making boring weapons more unique

I don't like giving silver bullet armor penetration, minishark and boomstick are already super strong weapons.

I would make them do massive damage against wearwolfs, similar to how the stake launcher 1 shots vampires. I think this would be a good way of giving them a little quirk without making them any stronger in pre hardmode.

I feel like the flintlock pistol could use some changes. I mean have you ever actually used one? By the time you get it, it is instantly outclassed by things like the musket.
I have an idea: Make it into a pre-boss handgun. Boosting damage to 15 and boosted velocity, and can just shoot as fast as (if not slightly slower) than minishark, but no auto use. It could use some price increase to compresate.

Heat Ray could inflict a powerful fire debuff (that only Heat Ray would inflict) that makes enemies explode often whilst inflicted, critically hitting and causing the debuff to be inflicted upon enemies around the explosion. The base damage would should probably be reduced, as in my mind the new debuff would be the main source of damage. It also shouldn't inflict the debuff for too long, maybe around 5-6 seconds, as I don't want to encourage the player to only hit the target every once in a while.

Crystal Storm could have a bigger shard that, upon contact, sends 4-6 smaller shards. This bigger shard would have the same damage and speed as all other of Crystal Storm's projectiles, only difference being it's bigger, it doesn't bounce, and releases smaller shards. The smaller shards would be faster than the normal shards, and would pierce up to 10 enemies with 5% damage loss. The main shards could also receive pierce, but at a 10% damage loss. It would only pierce at maximum 10 times, with each time the shard hits the enemy it has a 25% to break. The smaller shards from the bigger shards wouldn't have this, they would always pierce 10 times. (Sorry if this explanation is confusing with how many times I used the word "shard")

what about frost daggerfish? Its literally just a slightly stronger throwing knife that is really hard to obtain.
Edit: Idea: No longer pierces
Can be instead obtained in batches by killing spiked snow slime or undead vikings with a 25% chance (idk whether its the right name) and killing ice bats with a 5% chance
Can stick to a point in an enemy's surface (the edge of their hitboxes) before shattering in 5 seconds. If another one hit the same place in the surface where one is sticking to, it deals double damage.

Last edited:
Heat Ray could inflict a powerful fire debuff (that only Heat Ray would inflict) that makes enemies explode often whilst inflicted, critically hitting and causing the debuff to be inflicted upon enemies around the explosion. The base damage would should probably be reduced, as in my mind the new debuff would be the main source of damage. It also shouldn't inflict the debuff for too long, maybe around 5-6 seconds, as I don't want to encourage the player to only hit the target every once in a while.
I can understand where you're coming from with this, but I just don't see the Heat Ray from War of the Worlds causing EXPLOSIONS as much as it causes severe burns. Here's another idea: Make its damage increase when attacking enemies with the Oiled debuff. It burns, right? And Oiled increases the DPS enemies take when burning. It already packs a punch when using mage gear, so why not give it a little bit of a buff for non-mages?

How about this?

Heat Ray
-Every 10 hits, the damage of the heat ray increases by 10% and it pierces 1 extra target, capped at 40% and 4 pierces, this change is indicated by an increase in brightness
-Going without hitting an enemy for 1 second reduces the tier by 1
-Homes in slightly when offscreen

I feel like Heat Ray is a good candidate for a weapon that gets increasingly powerful as it is used, considering it creates heat and all. This would benefit you from keeping the heat on the enemy and make the Heat Ray more viable compared to other post-Plantera single target weapons.

How about this?

Heat Ray
-Every 10 hits, the damage of the heat ray increases by 10% and it pierces 1 extra target, capped at 40% and 4 pierces, this change is indicated by an increase in brightness
-Going without hitting an enemy for 1 second reduces the tier by 1
-Homes in slightly when offscreen

I feel like Heat Ray is a good candidate for a weapon that gets increasingly powerful as it is used, considering it creates heat and all. This would benefit you from keeping the heat on the enemy and make the Heat Ray more viable compared to other post-Plantera single target weapons.
I think the homing part of the Heat Ray needs a bit more of a buff. Otherwise, this is great!

I feel like the ice blade could inflict frostburn so it is not as outclassed by enchanted sword or other pre-evil projectile swords.

I feel like the ice blade could inflict frostburn so it is not as outclassed by enchanted sword or other pre-evil projectile swords.
Ice Blade is alright if it’s weaker than Enchanted Sword, since Enchanted Sword is rare and often requires exploring past dangerous biomes. The only other projectile sword I can think of at this tier is Starfury, which does have the disadvantage of being insanely difficult to aim and working poorly underground.

Back
Top Bottom