Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 7
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
1617821817183.png

I wanted to play how this is a crash, I had already looked through the entire Internet, reinstalled and updated everything, touched the antivirus and Windows Defender, deleted the game files (documents in the folder)

There is a worrying amount of reports on Steam forums regarding this issue aswell.
Same symptoms , after recent update , no amount of game/xna reinstalls or mod unsubscribing fixes it , noticed from user reports it happened both on Windows 10 and Windows 7

I personally didn't encounter this problem but the number of threads regarding this keeps increasing.

The specific file being loaded here is "Terraria\Content\TerrariaMusic.xgs"
Technically this could crash if your computer has no active audio outputs. Make sure at least one audio output device is plugged in and working.

The specific file being loaded here is "Terraria\Content\TerrariaMusic.xgs"
Technically this could crash if your computer has no active audio outputs. Make sure at least one audio output device is plugged in and working.
Oddly enough, the connected speakers did not affect the problem either.

There is a worrying amount of reports on Steam forums regarding this issue aswell.
Same symptoms , after recent update , no amount of game/xna reinstalls or mod unsubscribing fixes it , noticed from user reports it happened both on Windows 10 and Windows 7

I personally didn't encounter this problem but the number of threads regarding this keeps increasing.

Yes, I suffered for 2 days, I deleted everything, installed, updated, turned on / off, nothing helped. It got to the point that we write to the forum)

If you haven't already, you could try to update your mainboard's audio drivers then restart the computer. Make sure there isn't anything strange in the sound output devices list and ensure the audio device you want to use is set as the default.
It may be possible for other software on your computer to take exclusive control of an audio device and which would block Terraria from getting access to an audio device.

If you haven't already, you could try to update your mainboard's audio drivers then restart the computer. Make sure there isn't anything strange in the sound output devices list and ensure the audio device you want to use is set as the default.
It may be possible for other software on your computer to take exclusive control of an audio device and which would block Terraria from getting access to an audio device.
Yes, everything is fine with audio devices, but as soon as I start the terraria, it doesn't even open, like an error. Also, the older version of the game (pirated) starts without problems

This is a known issue. I have added your report to those affected. Other players have had success starting Terraria by plugging in speakers or headphones, but it seems this did not work for you?

Two quick questions to help track down the issue please:
- Was Terraria working before updating to 1.4.2?
- Are you using any resource packs or mods?

Only loosely related since I'm on a different system, but the game didn't start for me either, on GOG's Linux version. Turns out it was a problem with their installer, amazingly enough. In the start.sh file, there is a reference to "Terraria.exe" which doesn't work so hot on a Linux system. I changed that to "Terraria" and the game then started up. They use a file called "Terraria" (without an extension, as that isn't required on Linux) that seems to do a if-else check for Mac vs Linux. When the start.sh file didn't link to this file, the game couldn't start.

I mentioned this in a bug report to GOG about the resolution being weird and the mouse not reaching the whole screen, so maybe they didn't pay attention to the start.sh issue, so if you are in touch with them, please let them know to fix this. It's pretty serious.

The most common reason for this error would be that the operating system could not provide an audio device to output to, but this is unlikely if previous versions of Terraria are working. I don't think this would help, but you could also try running as admin in case the game was denied access to audio due to a permissions error.

The settings for initializing audio appear to be in "Terraria\Content\TerrariaMusic.xgs" This is the part that is most likely changed between the previous version you confirmed was working and the current version, but I have no idea what might have changed or how it could cause a problem. You already mentioned reinstalling so I assume that file would not be out of sync with the rest of the install and that steam automatically installed the appropriate XNA libraries to load it properly. (You can reinstall XNA manually using xnafx40_redist.msi in the game's directory.)

This is a known issue. I have added your report to those affected. Other players have had success starting Terraria by plugging in speakers or headphones, but it seems this did not work for you?

Two quick questions to help track down the issue please:
- Was Terraria working before updating to 1.4.2?
- Are you using any resource packs or mods?
Hello, yes, it did not help with the speakers, at the expense of mods - I do not use it. And before update 1.4.2 it worked

I have Steam version and Windows 7, so there is no Start.sh file
Only loosely related since I'm on a different system, but the game didn't start for me either, on GOG's Linux version. Turns out it was a problem with their installer, amazingly enough. In the start.sh file, there is a reference to "Terraria.exe" which doesn't work so hot on a Linux system. I changed that to "Terraria" and the game then started up. They use a file called "Terraria" (without an extension, as that isn't required on Linux) that seems to do a if-else check for Mac vs Linux. When the start.sh file didn't link to this file, the game couldn't start.

I mentioned this in a bug report to GOG about the resolution being weird and the mouse not reaching the whole screen, so maybe they didn't pay attention to the start.sh issue, so if you are in touch with them, please let them know to fix this. It's pretty serious.

The most common reason for this error would be that the operating system could not provide an audio device to output to, but this is unlikely if previous versions of Terraria are working. I don't think this would help, but you could also try running as admin in case the game was denied access to audio due to a permissions error.

The settings for initializing audio appear to be in "Terraria\Content\TerrariaMusic.xgs" This is the part that is most likely changed between the previous version you confirmed was working and the current version, but I have no idea what might have changed or how it could cause a problem. You already mentioned reinstalling so I assume that file would not be out of sync with the rest of the install and that steam automatically installed the appropriate XNA libraries to load it properly. (You can reinstall XNA manually using xnafx40_redist.msi in the game's directory.)

Before reporting that I had already reinstalled .NET and .XNA myself, I also reinstalled the game, installed a dynamic driver, checked the files. I don’t even know what I didn’t do)

I have called out this audio issue to the developers and mentioned that (in this case) the workaround didn't work. I am hopeful it will be looked at soon. Unfortunately, I cannot give an ETA on when it might be fixed and an update released.

While this issue IS caused by the game not recognizing any audio devices, we are looking into a fix for the crash itself.

It won't solve the fact that some audio devices are not being detected, but it will allow the game to run despite that.

Back
Top Bottom