Prismatic lacewing farm?

I've been trying to make an efficient prismatic lacewing farm because I literally have not been able to find even a single farm on youtube, the forums, discord, or anywhere else. I'm not looking for a fully automatic farm, but rather one that you can go out and catch the lacewings yourself. I have found that the lacewings spawn most frequently by summoning a blood moon since they technically count as enemies. I pair that with a water candle and battle potion, and the spawn rates go through the roof. Does anyone have any ideas on how to turn these discoveries into a working semi-automatic farm?

I don't really know about an actual "farm", even if not automatic, but, I guess, you could just have a large, surface hallow area (whether standard (forest type) or desert. snow is probably not as good, since snow blocks themselves can't be hallowed.)
Then build a house in the middle or something. in a way, that the area even past the screen is still hallow on both sides for several more blocks. since stuff spawn off-screen.

place several water candles to have the whole area covered, and get rid of stuff like sunflowers (they decrease spawnrates), and have a bed in the house.
Get a battle potion and make sure you have a guide to critter companionship. go there at the start of the night, and walk back and forth in the area. if it's a blood moon, it's even better, or just use a bloody tear - but they're rare - in the case of a blood moon, just fight the random enemies and stuff, and you will probably see a lacewing too eventually. liform analyser shows them. you can catch like 3 a night if you're lucky. since they never spawn past midnight, so, the time where they're active is very short.

if you don't wanna run around, you can just use the bed to make time faster, and leave the house with bug-catching net in hand if you spot a lacewing, or the lifeform analyser shows one nearby. (build the house in a way you can leave through a window or the roof, so you don't need to deal with zombies or anything at the front door)

I think, something like that? But it's nowhere near automatic...
Maybe you can use lava traps to kill zombies so they won't clog the spawn-cap, but you won't see hundreds of them anyway, so it sounds unnecessary (and there would be lots of gastropods and pixies as well anyway, which probably hover over the lava traps anyway)

I don't really know about an actual "farm", even if not automatic, but, I guess, you could just have a large, surface hallow area (whether standard (forest type) or desert. snow is probably not as good, since snow blocks themselves can't be hallowed.)
Then build a house in the middle or something. in a way, that the area even past the screen is still hallow on both sides for several more blocks. since stuff spawn off-screen.

place several water candles to have the whole area covered, and get rid of stuff like sunflowers (they decrease spawnrates), and have a bed in the house.
Get a battle potion and make sure you have a guide to critter companionship. go there at the start of the night, and walk back and forth in the area. if it's a blood moon, it's even better, or just use a bloody tear - but they're rare - in the case of a blood moon, just fight the random enemies and stuff, and you will probably see a lacewing too eventually. liform analyser shows them. you can catch like 3 a night if you're lucky. since they never spawn past midnight, so, the time where they're active is very short.

if you don't wanna run around, you can just use the bed to make time faster, and leave the house with bug-catching net in hand if you spot a lacewing, or the lifeform analyser shows one nearby. (build the house in a way you can leave through a window or the roof, so you don't need to deal with zombies or anything at the front door)

I think, something like that? But it's nowhere near automatic...
Maybe you can use lava traps to kill zombies so they won't clog the spawn-cap, but you won't see hundreds of them anyway, so it sounds unnecessary (and there would be lots of gastropods and pixies as well anyway, which probably hover over the lava traps anyway)
My main issue is dealing with the gastropods (and for blood moon, dripplers) because they fly. How would you engineer a trap that could kill them? I currently have a simple volcano trap (pyramid with a pit with lava at the bottom) but the gastropod AI refuses to fly into it. Any suggestions?

My main issue is dealing with the gastropods (and for blood moon, dripplers) because they fly. How would you engineer a trap that could kill them? I currently have a simple volcano trap (pyramid with a pit with lava at the bottom) but the gastropod AI refuses to fly into it. Any suggestions?
Have you tried bubble pods with lava? It might kill the lace wings, but it’s pretty effective.

Have you tried bubble pods with lava? It might kill the lace wings, but it’s pretty effective.
Bubble blocks around floating lava might could work... though, yeah, it might kills lacewings too - or could it be it do nothing. I never tried that.

traps like geyser, flamethrower or dunno might could work too. but similarly, it might kills the lacewings too.

But, as long as you try to deal with these annoyances yourself, if you have a guide to critter companionship, you can't hurt lacewings, so, you can just shoot at them with whatever weapon, or run around swinging a large blade. it's not automatic, but it might be the safest way to get rid of gastropods and dripplers without harming lacewings.

Bubble blocks around floating lava might could work... though, yeah, it might kills lacewings too - or could it be it do nothing. I never tried that.

traps like geyser, flamethrower or dunno might could work too. but similarly, it might kills the lacewings too.

But, as long as you try to deal with these annoyances yourself, if you have a guide to critter companionship, you can't hurt lacewings, so, you can just shoot at them with whatever weapon, or run around swinging a large blade. it's not automatic, but it might be the safest way to get rid of gastropods and dripplers without harming lacewings.
After a lot of testing, I was finally able to construct a semi-automatic farm! You obviously have to catch the prismatic lacewings manually, but the farm quickly kills all other enemies so they won't clog up the mob cap, and it has a teleporter system that allows you to catch the prismatic lacewings much easier. In its current form, the farm yields around 15 prismatic lacewings per night. Farming them normally without a farm in the hallowed biome only yields around 2-3 lacewings per night, so this farm is producing around 5x as much. I'm going to work on it some more to further streamline the design before I post it here.

Back
Top Bottom