Other Sitting animation improvement

CrimsHallowHero

Terrarian
Latest major update (1.4) introduced new mechanic allowing players to sit in chairs and sofas. While NPC sitting animation inherited from v1.3 is fine (fig. 1.1), that one for players introduced in v1.4 looks rather peculiar due to excessively shortened legs (fig. 1.2). So I would like to suggest improving it to appear somewhat like one in fig. 1.3.

sit.png
Fig. 1. Sitting animation
1. NPC
2. Player (current)
3. Player (suggested prototype)

Latest major update (1.4) introduced new mechanic allowing players to sit in chairs and sofas. While NPC sitting animation inherited from v1.3 is fine (fig. 1.1), that one for players introduced in v1.4 looks rather peculiar due to excessively shortened legs (fig. 1.2). So I would like to suggest improving it to appear somewhat like one in fig. 1.3.

View attachment 316719
Fig. 1. Sitting animation
1. NPC
2. Player (current)
3. Player (suggested prototype)
Yeah, simple and objective suggestion.
+1 Support.

This would actually require a gigantic amount of work. The reason it's different from NPCs now is because the NPC method requires you add a new sprite for every single armor leg and vanity pants in the game, while the current method does not.
If that is true then I have a reason to be sad.

This would actually require a gigantic amount of work. The reason it's different from NPCs now is because the NPC method requires you add a new sprite for every single armor leg and vanity pants in the game, while the current method does not.
If it would really become an issue, sprites could be automatically generated using their "standing" versions. Simple pixel rows shifting (uppermost by 1 and the rest by 2) provides with quite sufficient results. Current implementation seems to use such kind of approach anyway.
Here are some examples:
sit_gfx.png
Certain amount of handwork would still be required to handle unusual pants types correctly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom