PC I have no control over my mouse in menus (But only sometimes???)

Tuxflop

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I'm using 1.4.2.1 for this, but it's not on the bug report card yet, and it was happening before as well.

Sometimes, when I start Terraria, my mouse will immediately fixate itself on a certain option. On the title screen, every time I try to click a menu option, my cursor teleports to Single Player and clicks that instead. On the character select screen, whenever I try to play a character, my cursor will teleport to the play button of the topmost viewable character on the list. Ingame, the selected item on my hotbar will almost always revert back to the leftmost item.

It acts differently in every interface, this is just a few of them. It seems to just fixate on a menu's first option and will just not allow me to do anything else.
At its worst, sometimes I will have NO control over the mouse, and as soon as I start the game, the selected option will immediately scroll from Single Player all the way down to Exit, without any input from me whatsoever.

Putting the computer in sleep mode and turning it back on is a temporary fix, but it starts happening again after a while, seemingly at random. It's getting really irritating, and I accidentally deleted one of my characters because of this. If it weren't for the ability to go into the Recycle Bin to find deleted characters, they would've just been completely lost due to this bug.

If it's relevant, my computer is a Dell XPS 8900, my keyboard a Dell KB216t, and my mouse a SteelSeries Rival 310. I'm also running the game in fullscreen.

Could you please try resetting your config and input profiles? It sounds like it might be the case that something else is registering as input and this is causing the cursor to jump on the menus.
1. Go to C:\Users\[Name]\Documents\My Games\Terraria
2. Delete or rename the file config.json
3. Delete or rename the file input profiles.json
4. Restart Terraria

This will clear any of your settings, so you may need to change resolution, cursor colour, etc. back. But it will also fix and input problems that might be causing issues on the menu.

This sounds to me like its not a mouse issue, but an inputs issue. Sigma's recommendations to clear the input profiles and config would be my first recommendation as well; your description of the issue makes it sound as if the "W" key (or Up) is being pressed, which could potentially happen as a result of a faulty keybinding.

It is also possible your computer is receiving accidental or false inputs, either through something like a Gamepad that is plugged in, or sometimes from some types of external programs. I've seen reports similar to this from users who have video streaming apps, occasionally they send unwanted inputs that can sometimes be picked up by Terraria.

I'm using 1.4.2.1 for this, but it's not on the bug report card yet, and it was happening before as well.

Sometimes, when I start Terraria, my mouse will immediately fixate itself on a certain option. On the title screen, every time I try to click a menu option, my cursor teleports to Single Player and clicks that instead. On the character select screen, whenever I try to play a character, my cursor will teleport to the play button of the topmost viewable character on the list. Ingame, the selected item on my hotbar will almost always revert back to the leftmost item.

It acts differently in every interface, this is just a few of them. It seems to just fixate on a menu's first option and will just not allow me to do anything else.
At its worst, sometimes I will have NO control over the mouse, and as soon as I start the game, the selected option will immediately scroll from Single Player all the way down to Exit, without any input from me whatsoever.

Putting the computer in sleep mode and turning it back on is a temporary fix, but it starts happening again after a while, seemingly at random. It's getting really irritating, and I accidentally deleted one of my characters because of this. If it weren't for the ability to go into the Recycle Bin to find deleted characters, they would've just been completely lost due to this bug.

If it's relevant, my computer is a Dell XPS 8900, my keyboard a Dell KB216t, and my mouse a SteelSeries Rival 310. I'm also running the game in fullscreen.
I have an issue that also occurs at the same as the glitch/bug you are mentioning. Whenever you try to use an item, it just makes a constant buzzing sound and goes to number 0 or 6 in your inventory. @Tuxflop
@Leinfors Yes, I have tried every single piece of advice from every single forum post about the glitches I have mentioned, but none of them have worked.
These glitches happened all of a sudden and now Terraria is unplayable, especially TModLoader.
Also, the glitches only happen with a wired mouse and keyboard. Bluetooth devices don't have this issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom