tModLoader What do you love and hate about the mod scene as of 2019?

this is a little ridiculous, what do you mean calamity style???

calamity has no specific style. every spriter for the the calamity mod also sprites for other mods. it's bound to happen that 1 persons style carries over to another mod.
or are you guys :red:ting on the people for what they think is good?

it's okay to not like calamity as the game. it's okay to think the boss designs are :red:ty.
but damn there is no calamity style.
stop giving people such as sok, popo, vaikya, jace, enreden and all our contributors so much flak.
all of them have different and unique styles. get your damn head out of your rectum. the calamity team isnt an anonymous entity that defined a style. we didn't. never intended to.

you are stuck in a cALamITy bAd echo chamber.
there are real people working on something they love.

i hope you get your stupid kick out of pissing at peoples style of spriting.

this is a little ridiculous, what do you mean calamity style???

calamity has no specific style. every spriter for the the calamity mod also sprites for other mods. it's bound to happen that 1 persons style carries over to another mod.
or are you guys :red:ting on the people for what they think is good?

it's okay to not like calamity as the game. it's okay to think the boss designs are :red:ty.
but damn there is no calamity style.
stop giving people such as sok, popo, vaikya, jace, enreden and all our contributors so much flak.
all of them have different and unique styles. get your damn head out of your rectum. the calamity team isnt an anonymous entity that defined a style. we didn't. never intended to.

I dislike how everyone is copying calamity instead of making actually unique content, when calamity was only decent in the first place.
Tbh I don't hate calamity, I don't even dislike calamity. It's just not AMAZING, it's only like 3.5/5...
I don't understand how I came off as toxic. I basically just said "in my opinion" over and over, and I certainly didn't call it bad.
I do understand your point of view, though. People are so tied to their immersion that they forget that mods aren't necessarily meant to reinforce it.

My personal issue with Calamity isn't the sprites, it's that the bosses aren't creative enough for me, and some content doesn't really feel like it deserves to be there (cosmic elementals, for example, really just exist to be annoying and reduce grinding for swords that are way too strong for when you can get them anyway)

Last edited:
I don't understand how I came off as toxic. I basically just said "in my opinion" over and over, and I certainly didn't call it bad.
I do understand your point of view, though. People are so tied to their immersion that they forget that mods aren't necessarily meant to reinforce it.

My personal issue with Calamity isn't the sprites, it's that the bosses aren't creative enough for me, and some content doesn't really feel like it deserves to be there (cosmic elementals, for example, really just exist to be annoying and reduce grinding for swords that are way too strong for when you can get them anyway)

I didnt direct anything at you.
i didnt call you toxic either.
Heck I wasnt even talking to you or anyone specifically.
did you read my post or not?

I am pissing at people who established the myth "calamity style". and that referes usually only to the visual style.
I even stated that disliking the mod is fine.
I am just sticking my finger into peoples face who take a dump at the visuals like calamity is a giant faceless entity

Heck I wasnt even talking to you or anyone specifically.
did you read my post or not?

I am pissing at people who established the myth "calamity style". and that referes usually only to the visual style.

Please remember to keep the discussion respectful. While it is fine to discuss Calamity or other Mods as part of the thread discussion, directing the discussion towards people rather than the topic is causing it to head into heated and personal territory.

This also goes for everyone. Remember to keep the discussion about the topic and not talk about the people involved in creating the mods. There are many members of the community that are fans of the mods discussed here or have created the mods themselves. We don't want this thread to become a thread which is disrespectful towards community members who create mods.

A bit late but I figure I should add to this too:

-Love

A: The sheer amount of mods trying to do new things with Terraria, to push beyond what Relogic has and take the game to whole another level, ironically alot of these people are either former Calamity Sprites or devs for other failed/not up to par mods. Want examples? Take a look at these:

tModLoader - (WIP) Tides of Aether (former Calamity devs)
tModLoader - Starlight River (WIP) (Trelamium 'remastered' devs)

These mods, are wonderful, they push far beyond their precursors and I wish them more support than they are getting

And for a few older examples, but my point still stands
tModLoader - Antiaris (Tremor, no longer being actively worked on)
tModLoader - [Released WIP] The Split Mod (Also Tremor, is this mod still being worked on?)

B: Some long awaited mods ended up releasing, we got Ancients Awakened, we got the final update for Elemental Unleash that added the long time in waiting Blushie boss, We got the Mutant as a boss.
Yeah some big updates ended up happening and it was great.

C: What else should I say? That mods will outclass the 1.4 update? I'm sure alot of you feel the same way

-hate

A: 5 minute mods that get way more attention than they deserve vs gems in the gutter, thou in reality these gems aren't too common and most of the time won't go undiscovered so it's not a huge deal

B: when a mod has great sprites but a bad coder (I tend not to mind the other way around, because people like BlushieMagic and Luiafk have proven that you can go very far with poor/no sprites, and I strive by their example)

C: Endless promises of content that 95% of the time, aren't going to be fulfilled, I don't make promises I won't keep, I take a Qwerty route when it comes to making content for SGAmod
Show first, brag after success later, but keep your socks on.
Look we get it, as I will state below, you all want to be better than Calamity, but most of you don't even realize what your getting into. You can try to be Ash Ketchum about modding and trying to be the very best, but I wouldn't give my hopes up about being so like "no one ever was"

D: Devs having a tendency to lock information about mods behind a discord server, read this: Discord servers make POOR wikis, don't do this.
Like I can understand having a semi-closed beta via discord groups but stuff like what a mod is even about and being told to join a Discord to find out, no, just no please.

-Other (hate nor care)

A: I personally don't care for this whole "Oh Calamity is breaking the artstyle" deal, as long as the sprites are 2by2 pixels, that's fine, because 1by1 pixels are the only huge no-no in Terraria as far as sprites go.

B: Mods striving to be as good/better than Calamity, lets be real honest for a minute, that is NEVER going to happen, Calamity has seated itself as the best mod (in the eyes of the public) Terraria will ever have and Relogic knows this, and why Rogue damage is a thing. But the reason I consider this one so so is because if not for burning passion to push above and beyond, we wouldn't have masterpieces like Elements Awoken either.

C: Mods being kept in secret until they are ready to be released, this one is a very iffy topic in terraria for me, the reasons being Team Fortress 2 mapping has left a lasting imprint on me on how you should create content and how feedback is needed to shape it. That these mods are still being tested by different people so they aren't the bias of one person and are getting feedback before release.
Still, I know of quite a few mods that promise big, would keep their content veiled until the time is right. Their choice after all.

Last edited:
Alrighty then, i might as well join this fun discussion.

Bosses that are faster than you.

Sure, this makes me sound like a scrub who needs to git gud, but listen to me real quick.

Do you see Vanilla bosses zooming around and out of the screen faster than a Formula 1 car?

Alrighty then, i might as well join this fun discussion.

Bosses that are faster than you.

Sure, this makes me sound like a scrub who needs to git gud, but listen to me real quick.

Do you see Vanilla bosses zooming around and out of the screen faster than a Formula 1 car?
I'm guilty of this myself
One way to keep players from just running away and shooting in the other direction

Vanilla bosses handle this in a more subtle way, especially Skeletron/ Skeletron Prime, who continuously speeds up until they pass you horizontally .

Another way I've seen people handle this is to lock the player into an arena of sorts so they can't just run away as fast as possible

-Love

The massive quantity of interesting and creative mods out there. I’m constantly finding more and more amazing mods that I hardly knew about up until then.

-Hate

The strange trend of there being a Knight’s Edge and Terra Blade variant of different weapons. I know that this is a bit of a minor thing but there always seems to be at least one for every mod. I’m not exactly sure why they annoy me tho, perhaps it’s because they’re a bit grindy to get or they’re just simply not unique or creative at all. Either way I don’t like them.

-Hate

The strange trend of there being a Knight’s Edge and Terra Blade variant of different weapons. I know that this is a bit of a minor thing but there always seems to be at least one for every mod. I’m not exactly sure why they annoy me tho, perhaps it’s because they’re a bit grindy to get or they’re just simply not unique or creative at all. Either way I don’t like them.
I disagree, the Terra Blade feels important. It's a journey of a weapon, which is a feeling I think more classes should be able to experience. But yeah, I can see where you're coming from where it's overdone.

I disagree, the Terra Blade feels important. It's a journey of a weapon, which is a feeling I think more classes should be able to experience. But yeah, I can see where you're coming from where it's overdone.
That's exactly why it feels overdone. The terra blade is supposed to feel special and if there's multiple new ones every single time a major content mod happens, then it's uniqueness is diminished.

Love- The amount of mods and molders that even exist for this game, there are a bunch of really cool mods and the drive that is shown is really amazing.

Hate- the amount of mods-in-progress that have a lot of potential that just fall apart. The saddest internet thing I have ever seen is sorting the WIP mod forum by most comments and seeing just how many mods have lost direction or their staff just...left.

it kind of seems that people have really high expectations for new mods. If you they don't have really good sprites or mechanics, they get tossed away. Mods like thorium and spirit were made when modding standards were much lower and they were able to grow into really good ones.
To stand out, you either need something that will amaze people (like infinite world) or really fancy graphics stuff because people love visual. It's kind of sad that a mod with amazing boss AI will die out faster than a zombier in late game but a mod that literally and I say literally have just a bunch of cool looking visual will stand out. People don't play mod by themselve, they mostly play for the visual and the cool stuff done with it. I honestly think that the modding community is once again in a loop, just like it was stuck with calamity for a while and people trying to achieve good but couldn't because Calamity kept overshadowing as people just liked the song and the visual (instead of the actual thing).

To stand out, you either need something that will amaze people (like infinite world) or really fancy graphics stuff because people love visual. It's kind of sad that a mod with amazing boss AI will die out faster than a zombier in late game but a mod that literally and I say literally have just a bunch of cool looking visual will stand out. People don't play mod by themselve, they mostly play for the visual and the cool stuff done with it. I honestly think that the modding community is once again in a loop, just like it was stuck with calamity for a while and people trying to achieve good but couldn't because Calamity kept overshadowing as people just liked the song and the visual (instead of the actual thing).
I can honestly back this 100%, it seems like no matter what I do with SGAmod, this, is what will happen.
And mind you I made fancy effects and do some really unique things, but as long as the sprites are ew people are gonna brand it a meme/not worth playing because looks are everything

Because people still expect Calamity-tier sprites

I can honestly back this 100%, it seems like no matter what I do with SGAmod, this, is what will happen.
And mind you I made fancy effects and do some really unique things, but as long as the sprites are ew people are gonna brand it a meme/not worth playing because looks are everything

Because people still expect Calamity-tier sprites
I mean, there is a reason why I struggle with TUA, I feel like that content mod are a no go, so I just go for pure madness at this point.

I mean, there is a reason why I struggle with TUA, I feel like that content mod are a no go, so I just go for pure madness at this point.
Pretty much, but I do get tired of problems people bring on themselves by doing what will more than most often break mods without giving it a 2nd thought
But again, I do often do alot of experiemental code and just "wing it" because it's not like people put in time to test my github unstable builds or anything...
This isn't MC, people don't design mods to work together sadly (this too, add that to the bad list)

Pretty much, but I do get tired of problems people bring on themselves by doing what will more than most often break mods without giving it a 2nd thought
But again, I do often do alot of experiemental code and just "wing it" because it's not like people put in time to test my github unstable builds or anything...
This isn't MC, people don't design mods to work together sadly (this too, add that to the bad list)
Yup, like I said, cool visual or pure madness concept or your mod will most likely not survive. Let's hope that when 1.4 tML release, some mod will have the time to rise and live for a while.

Back
Top Bottom