Wacky NPCs Mod

Well since he is the Star Merchant how about he sells stuff related to stars, space and floating islands ? For example he could sell the Star Launcher, fallen stars, rarer item drops from Space biome like The Giant Harpy Feather, some items from the Martian Event and maybe some newer items like some star themed weapons or an item to summon the Martian Event without needing to find the probe.

glad to see this mod still has plans for the future, I especially like the mimic merchant and the crimson barkeep (though im not sure how it would work in a corrupt world) because I feel like we need more friendly monsters in terraria (seriously relogic make a slime town pet you cowards)

glad to see this mod still has plans for the future, I especially like the mimic merchant and the crimson barkeep (though im not sure how it would work in a corrupt world) because I feel like we need more friendly monsters in terraria (seriously relogic make a slime town pet you cowards)
Thank you!
Yes, we have all sorts of plans, it's just a bit un-motivating how T-modloader takes so long to catch up ...that being said, I know the team is working on it doing their best, and it surely will be awesome once it's done, but it just hurts modding motivation a bit at the moment.

that aside, things like slime town pet sounds very interesting.
I don't know if we can see the code how town pets work at the moment (and we likely couldn't make them anyway, without T-modloader catching up to 1.4 first) but, once it caught up, I think, it could be possible to add a lot more town pets too?
It would be interesting to add all sorts of pets too!

How about making a guard enemy? Well that was just something kinda random but you can try somthin like that.
I guess that would be possible, but where would such enemies spawn? and why would it be good to fight them? e.g. what they drop, etc.

plus, I guess, there is also that thing, that in vanilla terraria, there are relatively few human enemies in the game (pirates, and presumably the lunar cult). I think, there's kind of a moral dilemma with a hero (or any way main character) killing fellow humans (assuming the MC is a human as well, which is of course not the case all the time)
though, in this regards, the big gap is more like between fighting sapient (humans, dwarves, elves, etc.) and non-sapient things (animals, and other animal-like monsters).
it can feel morally wrong for an MC to kill humans and the like, - maybe except for those who attacked first, like bandits, (pirate invasion is like that).

so, that makes me wonder, how would it be morally justified to fight guards?
or, it would call for specific kind of guards where killing them is better justified. e.g. a bandit camp with outlaws who terrorize the area.

on a side note, that's about assuming the MC is on the side of good, or neutral to some extent - I generally kind of consider terraria MCs as chaotic neutral, because most things (though not all), are about the MCs' selfish greed, for riches, power, etc. they help some (town NPCs) fight some (monsters), but it's mostly based on what MC wants. but they might still have a human-like moral compass, so killing humans could be problematic.
but, of course, the player could play an anti-hero too. in which case it could be simply that it fits that character. but that's only for characters like that. so, I don't know how to justify it to fit all types of main characters to fight guards...?

I guess that would be possible, but where would such enemies spawn? and why would it be good to fight them? e.g. what they drop, etc.

plus, I guess, there is also that thing, that in vanilla terraria, there are relatively few human enemies in the game (pirates, and presumably the lunar cult). I think, there's kind of a moral dilemma with a hero (or any way main character) killing fellow humans (assuming the MC is a human as well, which is of course not the case all the time)
though, in this regards, the big gap is more like between fighting sapient (humans, dwarves, elves, etc.) and non-sapient things (animals, and other animal-like monsters).
it can feel morally wrong for an MC to kill humans and the like, - maybe except for those who attacked first, like bandits, (pirate invasion is like that).

so, that makes me wonder, how would it be morally justified to fight guards?
or, it would call for specific kind of guards where killing them is better justified. e.g. a bandit camp with outlaws who terrorize the area.

on a side note, that's about assuming the MC is on the side of good, or neutral to some extent - I generally kind of consider terraria MCs as chaotic neutral, because most things (though not all), are about the MCs' selfish greed, for riches, power, etc. they help some (town NPCs) fight some (monsters), but it's mostly based on what MC wants. but they might still have a human-like moral compass, so killing humans could be problematic.
but, of course, the player could play an anti-hero too. in which case it could be simply that it fits that character. but that's only for characters like that. so, I don't know how to justify it to fit all types of main characters to fight guards...?
Technically, all the "humans" are called terrarians.

¿Pueden los guardias interactuar entre sí?
Sorry, I don't speak Spanish(?). Put it in google translate, and I got "Can the guards interact with each other?" - if you meant to ask that, or did google mistranslated it?

As for that, the guards - right now - are all just furnitures, they can't do anything at all, they're just decoration.
We're planning to make them give a buff like "guarded" which gives +5 def to players nearby guards. this won't stack with other guards, so it can't be abused much - it could stack with Bast Statues though - in fact, I think using the bast statues' code for base would be what we need there, so that's something for when T-modloader caught up to 1.4. that, and other updates of the mod as well. there are plenty of ideas, but we're waiting for T-modloader to catch up.

Also there could be some animated guards and other deco, but never done such before so should learn how to make such first (hopefully that's not difficult).

But as for guards that do actual things, I'm not sure what they could do, and how to code such - and, whether it's actually good or not. For example, it might be possible to make some work like traps, and shoot out projectiles like arrows when wired, but I don't think that's really useful or necessary...? or could be abused too much or dunno.

and not quite sure how could guards interact with other guards, considering they're all just furnitures. technically, it might be possible to make animated guards who seem to fight (e.g. repeatedly swinging their halberd or something) which could be placed facing a target dummy, or another similar guard to look like they're training/fighting, but it's all just animation, they don't actually interact with each other...

Hell Guard should be an enemy in hell that has a 100% drop of the voodoo doll, 1% drop of a hellpike that deals fire damage and heals you and 70 damage. Deals 90 damage, 500 health, 20 defense, and 70%knockback resistance.

Last edited:
Hell Guard should be an enemy in hell that has a 100% drop of the voodoo doll, 1% drop of a hellpike that deals fire damage and heals you and 70 damage. Deals 90 damage, 500 health, 20 defense, and 70%knockback resistance.
What would hell-guard look like?
I'm not sure I understand those stats though.
plus, enemies and weapons aren't the main focus. But I suppose we can discuss them regardless.

-----

By the way
Some new ideas

Some sort of niche pickaxe that doesn't causes fossil to break (if possible to code that). Maybe sold by the professor or something. It would be almost useless outside of fossil mining, and fossil is only valuable early game, but I wonder if some would be interested in such a pickaxe?
Generally, I think, the professor might be like "Of course some fossils break if you just hit it with a pickaxe like a brute. You need something more specific for excavating such delicate things." that sort of stuff.

Marketplace vendors. Something along the line of crafting stations like the guard captain's desk, or stationary furniture-spawned NPCs, like the sleepy guard (if we can get him to work)
So, these would be either just furnitures, or NPCs who stay in one place or something. They sit at some sort of stall, selling a few items. like fruits maybe and dunno (though then the waiter has no real need to sell those), possibly silk and such too (then the scam artist has no much need to sell it, though she can still keep those, since you might get her earlier than could craft a marketplace.
So, these could be used both as deco, and vendors.
(if they're crafting stations, then the stuff they "sell" are actually stuff you can craft at them, with coins. it's just a bit inconvinient, because crafting stations doesn't automatically change money (e.g. if it says 50 silver, but you only have one gold, you need to change that to 100 silver coins first, before you could craft something with them there, and that's inconvinient.)

how about the scam artist sells an accessory that cuts the gold lost on death in half, and the professor sold an accessory that increases the spawn rate of critters that tinkers with the guide to critter companionship in 1.4.

What would hell-guard look like?
I'm not sure I understand those stats though.
plus, enemies and weapons aren't the main focus. But I suppose we can discuss them regardless.

-----

By the way
Some new ideas

Some sort of niche pickaxe that doesn't causes fossil to break (if possible to code that). Maybe sold by the professor or something. It would be almost useless outside of fossil mining, and fossil is only valuable early game, but I wonder if some would be interested in such a pickaxe?
Generally, I think, the professor might be like "Of course some fossils break if you just hit it with a pickaxe like a brute. You need something more specific for excavating such delicate things." that sort of stuff.

Marketplace vendors. Something along the line of crafting stations like the guard captain's desk, or stationary furniture-spawned NPCs, like the sleepy guard (if we can get him to work)
So, these would be either just furnitures, or NPCs who stay in one place or something. They sit at some sort of stall, selling a few items. like fruits maybe and dunno (though then the waiter has no real need to sell those), possibly silk and such too (then the scam artist has no much need to sell it, though she can still keep those, since you might get her earlier than could craft a marketplace.
(if they're crafting stations, then the stuff they "sell" are actually stuff you can craft at them, with coins. it's just a bit inconvinient, because crafting stations doesn't automatically change money (e.g. if it says 50 silver, but you only have one gold, you need to change that to 100 silver coins first, before you could craft something with them there, and that's inconvinient.)
oh yeah I forgot NPC’s

how about the scam artist sells an accessory that cuts the gold lost on death in half, and the professor sold an accessory that increases the spawn rate of critters that tinkers with the guide to critter companionship in 1.4.
That's an interesting idea, but not exactly sure how that would work, especially that, I think, you drop all of it in master mode?
Also, what you mean by "tinkers with guide to critter companionship"? use the critters and the book to tinker them into something? what thing?

Actually that reminds me, though it's not a new idea, I saw this at suggestions before too, but it didn't get into the main game (so far) - I have no idea how such a thing would be even coded, but a plan equivalent of guide to critter companionship would be useful too, so you don't always end up accidentally destroying cattails, water lilies, wildflower fields and the like. I mean, not with standard weapons. Placing a block there still should destroy them, or using a pickaxe on them, so they don't hinder building, but it's no good that you destroy all the flowers and stuff around, just because you try to hit a zombie...

oh yeah I forgot NPC’s
What exactly you mean?

That's an interesting idea, but not exactly sure how that would work, especially that, I think, you drop all of it in master mode?
Also, what you mean by "tinkers with guide to critter companionship"? use the critters and the book to tinker them into something? what thing?

Actually that reminds me, though it's not a new idea, I saw this at suggestions before too, but it didn't get into the main game (so far) - I have no idea how such a thing would be even coded, but a plan equivalent of guide to critter companionship would be useful too, so you don't always end up accidentally destroying cattails, water lilies, wildflower fields and the like. I mean, not with standard weapons. Placing a block there still should destroy them, or using a pickaxe on them, so they don't hinder building, but it's no good that you destroy all the flowers and stuff around, just because you try to hit a zombie...

What exactly you mean?
I forgot that this was npc ideas

Will the NPCs have Bestiary entries?
Actual town NPCs, such as the fangirls will have, yes. I would like to add bestiary entries to them.
(I'm not quite sure what it would say though)
The guards are furnitures, so they probably can't have.

The fossil pickaxe sounds nice but it feels too niche if it's just for them, how about it worked like the Silk Touch enchantment from Minecraft ? It would allow you to mine blocks that would usually break into something else like fossils, gems and bone blocks without them breaking into their components. It's still a niche item but it would give it a lot more uses.

Marketplace vendors as decoration are a great idea but making them a full on shop is more complicated, it's fine with some items normal items like silk but I'm not a fan of taking away stuff from a full NPC just to give some things to a crafting station

I really wish they could move a couple of blocks every few seconds (talkin about the guards)
Animated guards/deco NPCs definitelly are a possibility. So, for example, a blacksmith who's repeatedly hitting and anvill with his hammer or something. I didn't tried making such yet, but it's likely the same sort of stuff like any other animated furniture, like a sawmill for example.

But making them to walk is much more complicated. Furnitures can't walk (as far as I know), so, the only ways to make them able to walk are
- making them into actual town NPCs (rejected, because they're just deco, so it would be bad if they clof the housing menu, when they sell nothing.
- furniture-bound deco NPCs (this might be possible, I'm not sure. but it sounds like a lot of work if we want many types of guards)

...actually... I think, it might be possible though to make guards in a way that they're still furnitures, but, if their animation is, that they walk, that might be possible, but it would, by standard, mean, that they would be very large furnitures, and nothing else could be placed in their walking path (as the whole is the furniture)
this could be modified however maybe, but I don't know how those are coded. There are placeable things that only take up one block, but the thing actually overhangs the block it's placed on (strange plants, and most dye plants work like this) - this could mean, that it would be possible to make guards that are still furnitures, take up only a small space, and still able to walk, without actually being an NPC.

However this sounds complicated, and my main problem with it is the ridicolous spritesheet of town NPCs. each town NPC have a crazy amount of sprites in their spritesheet, so, making such for all these guards would be a real lot of work, and I don't feel inspired to do that.

The fossil pickaxe sounds nice but it feels too niche if it's just for them, how about it worked like the Silk Touch enchantment from Minecraft ? It would allow you to mine blocks that would usually break into something else like fossils, gems and bone blocks without them breaking into their components. It's still a niche item but it would give it a lot more uses.

Marketplace vendors as decoration are a great idea but making them a full on shop is more complicated, it's fine with some items normal items like silk but I'm not a fan of taking away stuff from a full NPC just to give some things to a crafting station
Silk touch sounds interesting, but the problem is, that many of the "special" blocks have no item (placeable block) counterpart that could drop. for example, living leaf block.

as for marketplace vendors, I mean, not to take away stuff from the actual NPCs (since they're more convinient anyway, having normal shops) but a way that you could make something like a marketplace. It actually could be just deco NPCs, but, if they are market vendors, it might be better if they also have items they "sell".
Though, it could be, they are crafted with the items they sell, so, let's say, you have an apple vendor - let's say, something like an old grandma' - crafting her stall (which includes her, since she's part of the furniture) requires, let's say 5 apples, in addition to other stuff. So, you can only make the market stall, if you already have some of those items. But after that, you could buy (craft) said item at the stall (for coins)
Of course, it's not very useful (though might could look good) with apples, and getting 5 apples normally would be nonsensically difficult too (this is where the waiter (or cheat sheets XD) could help.

it sounds easier to make stuff like a silk-vendor this way, but you have no real need of that - but might be fine for deco and atmosphere.
but with some other items, it might would be handy? Though, what sort of items?

it sounds easier to make stuff like a silk-vendor this way, but you have no real need of that - but might be fine for deco and atmosphere.
but with some other items, it might would be handy? Though, what sort of items?
How about something like event themed vendors ? For example lets say that we have a Martian Vendor made with a lot of Martian Conduit Plating, some coins and a special vendor item (Something like a Hire a guard but shop themed), when close to him you could then "buy" from him items from the event without having to go through it over and over.

Back
Top Bottom