tModLoader Metroid Mod

So has anyone been having issues with Serris? because whenever it's on screen now, the game has something wonky happen to it, like the last time I spawned it, the game just straight up crashed. and this time I actually got it to spawn without a crash, but then its speed increased way more then I expected and immediately hit me before my character could even put there arm down from the spawn item, then my screen goes completely black, but I can still hear my character getting hit alongside Serris' roar/growl.

So, I remember vaguely talking about it, but, is there any chance that we can get an official discord server for this mod?

Would anyone be interested in an unofficial terraria Metroid mod discord server? Unofficial, at least until scooterboot would like to take over for it, If/when he ever decides that.

Oh, and about the idea of more dungeons, I sorta wish that they would maybe make placable summon items placable on the statues triggered by wiring. Also, how has no-one decided to make a Metroid NES/SNES/GBA map for this mod yet?

Would anyone be interested in an unofficial terraria Metroid mod discord server? Unofficial, at least until scooterboot would like to take over for it, If/when he ever decides that.

Oh, and about the idea of more dungeons, I sorta wish that they would maybe make placable summon items placable on the statues triggered by wiring. Also, how has no-one decided to make a Metroid NES/SNES/GBA map for this mod yet?
I would like that

So, about the discord server, if anyone is interested, here is the discord invite link.

And again, I'm hoping that scooterboot would take this over and make it an official one. I am just doing this as a (hopeful) temporary discord server

This mod is amazing!:eek:
I love the use of new mechanics and interfaces!
The skills implemented in the reinforcements is essential and very useful.
It also works in my toaster....
!EPIC!

PS: With this Mod winning is very easy, (I love the difficulty xD) it would be much better if you added stronger hostile NPCs:rslime: with unique abilities!
and the occasional boss:pumpking: .....
It's just an opinion :happy:

PS: With this Mod winning is very easy, (I love the difficulty xD) it would be much better if you added stronger hostile NPCs:rslime: with unique abilities!
and the occasional boss:pumpking: .....
It's just an opinion :happy:
This mod is still far from complete, and both of those changes are kind of already planned for future updates

I can see the x parasites start spawning after some kind of queen metroid boss has been defeated, and to stop the x parasites you have to use some sort of cloned metroid type item to basically turn them off. So we can, as in the series, make the metroids extinct more than one time

I can see the x parasites start spawning after some kind of queen metroid boss has been defeated, and to stop the x parasites you have to use some sort of cloned metroid type item to basically turn them off. So we can, as in the series, make the metroids extinct more than one time
Like the Fusion game, we can find / loot / craft some kind of metroid vacine, to absorb those X parasites.
Meanwhile, after some bosses defeated, the X parasites invade other biomes, make some "cloned" versions of the original biome enemies, stronger than the originals.
Killing them, free the parasites and restore some health / mana / missiles. (think, the yellow one - health, green one - missile, a blue one - mana, and a red one from some of stronger enemies, that restore all life/mana/missiles)

There's lots of contents to add in this mod.

Every single time a create a new playthrough of tmod i ALWAYS use this mod. this is amazing!

I also saw that you were planning to add as much metroid stuff as possible and I have an idea; (you do not have to use it if you don't want to) If your gonna add actual energy into the mod I suggest it as a sort of life-crystal-like thing as an overlay over the hearts as a transparent purple/light blue heart or bar over them. just wanted to give an idea kek.

Like the Fusion game, we can find / loot / craft some kind of metroid vacine, to absorb those X parasites.
Meanwhile, after some bosses defeated, the X parasites invade other biomes, make some "cloned" versions of the original biome enemies, stronger than the originals.
Killing them, free the parasites and restore some health / mana / missiles. (think, the yellow one - health, green one - missile, a blue one - mana, and a red one from some of stronger enemies, that restore all life/mana/missiles)

There's lots of contents to add in this mod.
idk if this would fit, but, what about once you defeat whatever boss to absorb the x parasites, it toggles a thing that lets clones x parasite versions of any enemy or boss spawn up to your highest defeated boss tier, and defeating these cloned enemies drop x parasites that you can use as a power source for some sort of really powerful item, or multiple. or just have them drop as materials to craft really powerful items/ammo/weapons/armor

idk if this would fit, but, what about once you defeat whatever boss to absorb the x parasites, it toggles a thing that lets clones x parasite versions of any enemy or boss spawn up to your highest defeated boss tier, and defeating these cloned enemies drop x parasites that you can use as a power source for some sort of really powerful item, or multiple. or just have them drop as materials to craft really powerful items/ammo/weapons/armor
I think moders are waiting for the tModLoader update to 1.4.

So, let me just say...I am fantastically, whimsically enthralled with every bit of this mod and its content. This mod has galvanized me to A. Make an entire account on this forum to talk about this mod, and B. play through the entire game with this mod's progression and salivate over how amazing it is. I have many things to say about it, many things positive, with some nitpicks here and there. While I have seen some certain features that make me grimace, for the most part the mod, in its entirety so far, is remarkably solid and nicely paced. Now let me dive beneath the surface of what I mean by that...
To start, I'll categorize the features of the mod I enjoy and explain them from there, as to not clutter this post up with a rapid ping-ponging of subjects.
<Exploration>
Right off the bat, this mod features some of the most high-quality random-generation content I've seen for a mod of its kind, akin to that of Calamity. And it doesn't win this praise by being big and grand, it does so with grace and subtlety. One of the key aspects of a Metroid game is the discovery of new abilities. And, one of the biggest hurdles I could fathom in the process of applying this critical aspect, would be the random generation of the game world. You can't place things in a specific, tenderly chosen spot when the game basically has a stroke on a canvas to create the world. In spite of that, you replaced a ruin that nobody cares about, without removing the spawning of the incredibly useful accessories that come from said ruin, with a new ruin that is the kick-starter for the entire mod. Of which, endearingly rewards you for the usage of the goodies you obtain in the ruin, along with rewarding your curiosity in some situations. And, to accompany that, you made a riveting boss fight that is a fantastic throwback to the inspiration of the mod, a battle with Torizo. What better way to start the mod's progression than fighting the first boss in the series' hallmark, Super Metroid?
In congruence with this fantastic implementation, the implementation of the Chozo upgrade statues littered around the world, with missile expansions dotting the cavernous underground, is incredibly well-executed. The rush of adrenaline finding a new statue with a powerup you haven't seen yet is euphoric, and gives an incentive to continue searching. In addition, every statue being able to be broken down into the mod's fundamental crafting resource, Chozite, was a wonderful design choice. It gives the player more than one reason to hunt statues, even if they carry an upgrade that they already possess. As well as this, every biome has their own cast of specific upgrades you can't find anywhere else. The jungle's Spider Ball, the deep-cavern's Hi-Jump Boots, it gives the player a reason to go to the different biomes and explore extensively. I can't give enough kudos on how well done this aspect is, you knocked it out of the park and then some.
<Weapons and Armor>
This was one of the biggest things I was worried about when going into this blind. I was genuinely convinced this was going to be a dime-a-dozen, horrible "combat" mod that just rode on the coattails of its inspiration, like many a Starbound mod would go...But my god, I was so wrong. I don't think I've seen such high-quality implementation of a mod's items and weapons in Terraria, until now. I don't even think I can go back to playing Vanilla at this rate. The sheer level of neuron activation that this game induces upon my undeserving monkey brain is the reason I get up in the morning. I have several reasons why I adore this mod's combat and weapons, one of which is the biggest among them. The design, the sounds of the weapon, the sprites of its projectiles, and the fantastic way they move and intertwine with other upgrades in absolutely awestriking ways. The things that you usually take for granted or overlook in a weapon's feel, they're so incomprehensibly important to the enjoyment of the weapon. From the humblest of beginnings with a Power Beam, the weapon feels rewarding to play and perfect your aim with. As you go along, obtaining more upgrades, you don't just see yourself getting stronger, your FEEL that rise in power. As you progress, you only get better and better, which upon itself is rewarding enough. And I don't mean "getting better" in the terms of the big red number going up in size as the boss's health bar goes down faster, which is still very much present, but I mean the skill necessary to make sure you use the weapon correctly. That is far more valuable than one would think.
Another aspect I enjoy is the amount of benefits and abilities given by the armor as you go along, and the distinct set bonuses that drive you towards getting the next set, while never making the suit you have obsolete, since it directly requires the current suit to upgrade. You don't have five suits of old armor laying around, collecting dust in a random chest you check when you're searching for your small fortune of Souls of Flight, you have one suit that you're constantly upgrading. Something about that is incredibly satisfying much like the rest of the mod.
On the topic of upgrades, the fact that you have made a UI and item system for the Power Beam, the Missile Launcher, and the Morph Ball upgrades is such a wonderful feature. Far better than having 14+ different redundant iterations of each weapon in the crafting menu, clogging up the interface with their uselessness.
<Accessories and Other Items>
One of the important features in the mod is the litany of accessories that give your character the mobility and abilities of the bounty hunter we're all incredibly familiar with. From the simplest of the roster, such as the ever-endearing Morph Ball or Hi-Jump Boots, to the game-changing culmination of the strongest powerups in the Metroid franchise in the Space Booster or Space Boosted Screw Attack. Each accessory feels good to discover, and even greater to use. The Speed Booster and the Shine Spark that accompanies it are shockingly effective, as well. Each of them so together to make you a lightning-fast force of nature who's thirst for Xeno blood cannot be quelled. The Morph Ball and its many upgrades are...incredibly well implemented! You did a fantastic job with them, even with adding your own homebrew drills that coincide with the tiers of the ores. Well done!
The biggest, and more admirable feature I know, is the Grapple Beam. One of the best grappling hooks I've had the raw jubilation to use, simply for one reason and one reason alone (well two really). Swinging, and momentum. This makes it so that most cave hazards can be dodged with ease, that including your enemies. As well as dodging, the mobility opened up in the early-game is beyond invaluable.
<C O M B A T>
Where. Do. I. Begin.
This mod features some of the most genuinely satisfying and stimulating playstyles I've had the raw pleasure of experiencing. Nothing has come close to the lightning you have bottled, Scooter. This might as well be the longest section due to how much I have to say about it, since it's the aspect of the mod I revel in the most.
The Power Beam is a satisfying and well-balanced weapon, from the time you first craft it, to when you get all of the beam addons for the first time, all the way into late Hardmode. Every step you take with the is weapon along the road to the endgame feels like an accomplishment. I attribute that to the actual skill-based playstyle both the armor and the weapons vehemently encourage. Each upgrade changes how you approach combat, but not enough to throw you off, with certain upgrades overpowering and disabling others you might've had equipped. An aspect that I enjoy is that, while their main effects are disabled, the boons and burdens gained stat-wise from the upgrade are still applied, such as increased damage or a greater overheat development. This makes it so that your mighty arm cannon isn't being constantly and chaotically buffed and nerfed as you have to swap the old modules in order to have it function correctly.
The Missile Launcher's complimentary role to the Power Beam is such a fantastic concept with even more fantastic execution, being a high-damage burst option that can be quickly swapped to rapidly combo and deal immense damage, should you play your cards right. The upgrades feel rewarding and very powerful to use, while never feeling unbalanced. It's hard to get something in that sweet-spot of powerful and punchy, but balanced and well-crafted.
The armor and the benefits they bring, such as the Sense Move, are rather underwhelming at first until you realize how helpful they are in a pinch. Many bosses, both in the mod and base-game, and especially on Expert mode, effectively require mastery of this feature in order to successfully defeat. By developing it this way, in conjunction with the many accessories of the mod, you've made a highly mobile, hyper-aggressive playstyle that makes you feel like an unstoppable force of nature who's only crutch to rely upon is their own skill and understanding of their equipment. This. This is what I LIVE FOR. This is my nirvana, the panacea to my sorrows, the big bright flashing reason that urged me to realize that this mod is more than just a mod. It's an experience.

Now, this is where my problems come to bare their teeth...
<Big. Meaty. BOSSES!>
A lot of the bosses are fun to fight! Torizo, Phantoon, in some aspects the Omega Pirate, yet to defeat Nightmare but the fight is still fun as all hell, they're all quite fun to fight against.
Then there's Kraid. Kraid is not fun, in any sense of the term. He is tanky, and for an early-Hardmode player just fighting them with the gear they acquired in preparation for defeating the Wall of Flesh, it is an absolute S L O G. On my first attempt at killing him, it took me 45+ straight minutes of shooting at his head with Super Missiles to kill him. And even then, I didn't get enough of his drops to make the whole set of the Varia MK-2, which made me viscerally groan. I don't want that for bosses in this mod, not in the slightest. I don't want to groan when I realize I have to fight them again to get the drops I need, I want to feel galvanized and ready to take them on again. This is a big issue, for as much as I give credit and kudos for the combat and weapons, the early-Hardmode and Mechanical Bosses kick your :red: in most cases. It is well and truly HARD, and not the enjoyable kind of hard. The only way I managed to defeat them was cheese them with the Plasma Machine Gun.
In a short, sweet summary, some of the mod's bosses are VERY tanky and grow boring to deal with. (kraid.png)
And some weapons are woefully underpowered once things just get into motion in Hardmode, but unlike all other classes, the Hunter class can't immediately get a damage output upgrade. They have to sit there, and fight the Mechanical Bosses with a handicap, in order to get the next set of armor...which is one of the primary variables in damage output and survivability. There's a disconnect there, and I'm certain you notice it. And with the techno wizardry you've pulled to make this mod...and by the fact this section is a 1/6th of the length of the praise I've given about most of, if not almost all aspects of the mod, the mod is by every single means a GOOD MOD. <3

If I had any suggestion for content, it'd be the SA-X. A battle against an enemy of equal power would be SUPER fun to tackle. Fusion content would be wonderful too, perhaps the armor having a sort of set bonus akin to the Nebula armor, with little X Parasite pickups dropping from enemies killed to give you buffs, health, and missiles.
But, nonetheless, I'm enthralled by your work so far, and I will have an ear out for any future updates!
while i think you'll probably react negatively to this, kraid vs wave buster will still test your patiance and get called cheese (given your reaction to the typical "plasma machine gun spam" solution for the mechs) , but it takes your astoundingly long 45 minutes and turn it into 7 or 8. it's risky because of how short the wave busters range is, but kraid does NOT react well at all to it. plus missle drops can be gained from the projectiles that cross the beam potentally.

Now that Metroid Dread is a real thing, it's become apparent that Fusion content is more needed in this mod. The implementation issues with it I've mentioned before are still present, but now I've more drive and reason to solve them.

Anyway, sorry for the slow updates, guys. I want to resume working on this, just need to stabilize my workflow.

Now that Metroid Dread is a real thing, it's become apparent that Fusion content is more needed in this mod. The implementation issues with it I've mentioned before are still present, but now I've more drive and reason to solve them.

Anyway, sorry for the slow updates, guys. I want to resume working on this, just need to stabilize my workflow.
Excited to see what you can do! Also very excited for Dread, this has been a good year for gaming, a lot better than it's been for everything else haha

Back
Top Bottom