A LARGE AMOUNT of early Hardmode weapons tested against Expert Twins

Inspired by tests like this by @qwerty3.14, @J Bame, and @Mathbrush1, I've decided to test viable early Hardmode weapons against The Twins to see which weapons are superior in boss fights like this one.

I did these tests in Journey mode with the difficulty slider set to 2.00x (Expert mode), which gave me 6 accessory slots to use, and gave the Twins a total of 64500 health (Spazmatism has 34500 health and Retinazer has 30000). I set the time to 7:30 PM, froze time, summoned The Twins, unfroze time, then froze it again after they were defeated.

Here are the builds I used for the tests. The top three accessories are reforged to Menacing, the bottom three accessories are reforged to Lucky except in the summoner build in which case they are also reforged to Menacing.
From left to right: general melee, yoyo, bows, other ranged weapons, mage, summoner.
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 8.20.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 8.20.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 8.21.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 8.22.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 8.22.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 8.23.17 PM.png

Here are the buffs I used:
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 8.25.36 PM.png

I used three Ruthless Sanguine bats alongside every non-summoner weapon.

Green means a high velocity weapon with high range that can hit the boss really easily. Turquoise means a weapon that can hit the boss if used correctly but requires more effort than green weapons. Blue means a weapon that can hit the boss easily if you're close enough but doesn't have that high range. Yellow means a weapon that can only hit the boss when it's charging at you, but still performs decent. Red means a weapon that struggles to hit the boss.

Results:

Melee:
Melee didn't perform very well, as the Twins tend to hover a specific distance away from the player, which makes certain melee weapons unable to hit them.

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 8.32.07 PM.png

Conclusion: boomerangs = post-Mechs yoyos > pre-Mechs yoyos > flails = chain weapons ("launched flails") > beam swords

Ranged:
Ranged was probably the best class for this boss, as every weapon had basically infinite range (except for Toxikarp) and got a decent time.

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 11.09.34 AM.png

Conclusion: post-Mechs bows > dart guns > pre-mech guns > pre-mech bows/repeaters

Magic:
Magic did fine, generally not as good as ranger but better than nearly all of melee's options.

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 8.41.08 PM.png

Summoner:
Summoner performed extremely well, especially with whip stacking, which allowed it to get times under ranger, however there were only two viable minions (Sanguine and Blade). Also keep in mind that I'm not the best person ever at whip stacking, so the whip stack times could be improved with more skill.

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 8.43.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 8.43.41 PM.png

Conclusions: With Sanguine Staff: Durendal > Firecracker > Cool Whip > Spinal Tap > Snapthorn . With Blade Staff: Durendal > Spinal Tap > Cool Whip > Snapthorn > Firecracker. Also stacking Snapthorn with a whip other than Spinal Tap seems to be more trouble than it's worth, at least for me. Also Spinal Tap and Snapthorn don't have enough range to hit Spazmatism while he's firing fireballs, which makes up a significant portion of the fight.

Final Conclusion:
Ranger is definitely the safest (as always), but summoner wins in terms of speed with whip stacking, but without it is heavily in competition with ranger. Mage works great but is outclassed by ranger and summoner, and melee can work if you use one of the very few weapons that score respectable times (Bananarang, Yelets, Shadowflame Knife, and Light Disc), but I'd recommend using a different class.

Have any questions or requests to retry weapons with other loadouts?

Last edited:
I actually did a lot of twins tests a while ago.
I started the testing because I was curious how investing in extra bats for passive dps compared to boosting your main weapon.

1625674102501.png

Master mode tests

In every test I used, amphibian boots, horseshoe balloon, SoC, charm of myths, worm scarf, and pygmy necklace.
I would use either a ranger, sorcerer emblem, warrior emblem, or berserk glove depending on the active weapon used.

If the main weapon didn't inflict ichor I'd use sergeant united shield to do so.
Unless it was a hallowed armor test then I'd use durendel to inflict ichor (and tag).
Unless other wise stated sanguine bats were always used.

Armor used
Mixed ranged - Used adamantite mask, frost chestplate, mythril greaves.
Spider- used full spider armor
HRM- Hallowed ranged megashark
HSM- Hallowecd Summoner Megashark
HRD- Hallowed Ranged Daedleus
HSD- Hallowed Summoner Daedleus

Obsdian FC- used full obsidian armor stacked Firecracker with durendel
Hallowed Blade- hallowed summoner armor, used blade minions, stacked durendel, snapthorn and spinal tap.
Obsidian blade and obsidian bats - used respective minion, stacked durendel, spinal tap and snapthorn.

pre mech magic- used admanite headgear, forbidden robes, and forbidden treads
durendel added- same as pre mech magic but I used durendel to try and keep a tag going

hallowed(s)- hallowed summoner armor tried to use durendel every 4 seconds to keep the tag while also attack with a magic weapon, mana wasn't an issue since the frequent whipping lowered mana consumption enough to where the rainbow rod wouldn't sinkhole.

With melee I tested with spider armor and hallowed summoner, if megashark and daedleus with high damage bonuses can't overwhelm spider armors +3 minion slots I don't expect shadowflame knife to.

Btw I used ichor arrows with daedleus stormbow.

Last edited:
This is great! One thing I'd be interested in seeing is any weapon with cursed arrows. I got some good numbers with them against the Destroyer, and wanted to see if it was a fluke.

I'm slightly less interested in seeing Ice Sickle used, and possibly yoyos (melee speed can make the string longer). I know Ice Sickle isn't going to do well, but I've heard it recommended before. Clockwork assault rifle might be interesting to compare with qwerty's results.

I'm least interested in this: Is it possible to win as summoner with spiders?

Edit: Also interesting is seeing Tome of Infinite Wisdom doing so great, and seeing Super Star Shooter getting beat by Megashark.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't use any minions alongside non-summon weapons, because I wanted to see how weapons performed by themselves. Though if someone wants me to try with minions, I can.
Ok this is fine if you want to compare ranged/melee/magic, but then you can't compare them to the summoner builds. You're basiclly saying no to a free 200dps.

Ok this is fine if you want to compare ranged/melee/magic, but then you can't compare them to the summoner builds. You're basiclly saying no to a free 200dps.
Are your times measured in seconds? Your times are more than 2x as fast, and you're in master mode. Your summoner times are similar. Do you think the minions account for the difference in the non-summoner times?

This is great! One thing I'd be interested in seeing is any weapon with cursed arrows. I got some good numbers with them against the Destroyer, and wanted to see if it was a fluke.
I don't think they'll perform better than Ichor Arrows because the Ichor debuff is way more valuable than one extra point of base damage and 24 DPS.
I'm slightly less interested in seeing Ice Sickle used, and possibly yoyos (melee speed can make the string longer). I know Ice Sickle isn't going to do well, but I've heard it recommended before.
Ice Sickle might work, but it'll probably be similar to Mushroom Spear in that it can only hit the Twins when they're charging at you and running into the projectiles. I'll test yoyos when I can.
Clockwork assault rifle might be interesting to compare with qwerty's results.
I completely forgot about Clockwork Assault Rifle!
I'm least interested in this: Is it possible to win as summoner with spiders?
I didn't test them, but I assumed that they won't be able stay on the boss, especially since my method of fighting the Twins involves a lot of flying, and not a lot of staying near the ground.

The bows are a lot stronger than I thought, I was not expecting Shadowflame Bow to be one of the strongest weapons overall, or an Adamantite Repeater being better than Onyx Blaster.

how are Light Discs supposed to be acceptable as a Post Mech weapon again

Dear god Meteor and Poison Staff suck so much

More evidence that Sanguine/Blades are totally busted.

The bows are a lot stronger than I thought, I was not expecting Shadowflame Bow to be one of the strongest weapons overall, or an Adamantite Repeater being better than Onyx Blaster.
This might be because of the lack of ichor for the guns. In my tests megashark and daedleus were quite close.

If I inflict Ichor with a sidearm I'd have to periodically stop using my weapon in favour of something else though, as opposed to minions that deal extra damage without requiring weapon switching.
That weapon switching is absolutely worth it in this case though. Crystal Shards deal low base damage at half the gun’s base damage and are severely crippled by defense, and by inflicting Ichor it makes an emormous difference in just how powerful crystal bullets are, even if you stop using your main weapon for 1-2 seconds.

That weapon switching is absolutely worth it in this case though. Crystal Shards deal low base damage at half the gun’s base damage and are severely crippled by defense, and by inflicting Ichor it makes an emormous difference in just how powerful crystal bullets are, even if you stop using your main weapon for 1-2 seconds.
Which weapon would be the best for inflicting? I need something that conflicts with the main weapon's time the least.

Bro, why Durendal was considered early hardmode weapon? If it was, the same applied to hallowed armor, rainbow rod,...( i dont see them being listed here). This thread show how trash melee was before post plantera gears( even that point still the worst class). Mage again loads with trashes unil Duke and post planera even gear but sill better than Melee. Summoner is insane with Osibidan armor( Osibidan need 2nd nerf), post plantera stuff is not as crazy compared to others class but they doing fine. Ranger is sill ranger, simple and efficient.

Bro, why Durendal was considered early hardmode weapon? If it was, the same applied to hallowed armor, rainbow rod,...( i dont see them being listed here). This thread show how trash melee was before post plantera gears( even that point still the worst class). Mage again loads with trashes unil Duke and post planera even gear but sill better than Melee. Summoner is insane with Osibidan armor( Osibidan need 2nd nerf), post plantera stuff is not as crazy compared to others class but they doing fine. Ranger is sill ranger, simple and efficient.
The reason I used Durendal and Megashark but not Rainbow Rod or Magical Harp was because I didn't want to test anything that requires the defeat of the Twins already. I rarely get enough Hallowed Bars to make Hallowed armour from only two mech boss kills, so I didn't test it as the mech bosses don't give much if you fight them again, plus many people fight the Twins first. But I can test with Hallowed armour because it's definitely possible to get before the Twins.

its official: melee is :red:, mage is somewhat struggling, ranged and summoner are 4 parrallel universes ahead of the others
Melee is secretly the best because it can go full Defense and never die. You can't just say "other classes can go tank too" because Defense is exponential.

Speaking of that, Dreadnautilus5000, you should test with full Warding, Melee Titanium Armor, Berserker's Glove and Fetid & Durendal. Rest of accessories are up to preference, maybe even use Gelatinous Pilliom.

Melee is secretly the best because it can go full Defense and never die. You can't just say "other classes can go tank too" because Defense is exponential.
I would rather annihilate the boss really quickly with the chance that I might take significant damage than spend a long time struggling to hit the boss without the chance of dying, but that's just me.
Speaking of that, Dreadnautilus5000, you should test with full Warding, Melee Titanium Armor, Berserker's Glove and Fetid & Durendal. Rest of accessories are up to preference, maybe even use Gelatinous Pilliom.
I tried Fetid Baghnakhs and I wasn't able to reach the Twins for most of the time. Also I don't want to reforge everything because then I'd have to spend a while reforging to Warding then having to reforge everything back to Menacing and Lucky if I test a weapon from another class.

Back
Top Bottom