Standalone [1.3] tModLoader - A Modding API

So for this large 1.4 update you'll have to spend 1-2 weeks sorting out one of the biggest mods on the platform, and less time for smaller mods.

Let's imagine Tmodloader prioritises all of the most important bugs, fixes them, then releases today. You'd spent 1-2 weeks updating. Then Tmodloader can spend time working on their four main core objectives listed above in their own time, and push out an update when that's complete in a couple of months time. In which you spend another week updating.

Would you prefer making thousands of players wait another six to twelve months for Tmodloader, so that modders don't have to spend 1-2 weeks time updating their project?
Your thinking is flawed.

Firstly, the amount of time tML has taken is inexcusable, and that's honestly obvious at this point. Certain contributors have down an amazing job at scaring off or discouraging other contributors from ever touching tML due to previous events.

Secondly, your method of thinking is narrow-minded. The entire point of stuffing this into a single update is to avoid annoying and cumbersome accommodations and obsolete/otherwise archaic implementations in the future. A lot of time has gone into refining and improving the actual code base and API as a whole. Your thought experiment isn't realistic and doesn't accurately represent what the team is focused on, so it doesn't really apply.

Currently, it's more of a "just make them wait since they've already had to" type deal, since releasing tML as it is now when there's still a lot of other stuff that needs to get done is just going to frustrate modders and will discourage updating anyway. The main stuff the team wants to get done does not represent what is currently being worked on.

If you want to play tML 1.4 so badly, then just grab a beta from GitHub.

Secondly, your method of thinking is narrow-minded. The entire point of stuffing this into a single update is to avoid annoying and cumbersome accommodations and obsolete/otherwise archaic implementations in the future. A lot of time has gone into refining and improving the actual code base and API as a whole. Your thought experiment isn't realistic and doesn't accurately represent what the team is focused on, so it doesn't really apply.

They could make these changes after releasing. Development doesn't cease after release.

They could make these changes after releasing. Development doesn't cease after release.
You completely missed the point. One of the main purposes of this update is to abolish redundancies and obsolete features. This would just reinstill them later.

Why not do this after releasing?
Because doing that after a release would force a bunch of mods to update again, which is generally inconveniencing and takes away from one of the main goals of tML 1.4 restructuring and refactoring its internals. Stop being selfish and asking for an unfinished mess of an update.

Because doing that after a release would force a bunch of mods to update again, which is generally inconveniencing and takes away from one of the main goals of tML 1.4 restructuring and refactoring its internals. Stop being selfish and asking for an unfinished mess of an update.

Is an object-oriented topological sorting-based redesign of interface layers and world generation passes necessary to this goal?

Strange to see that Blushiemagic still didn't update this thread to the new Alpha version for 1.4.
Maybe tomorrow or in a couple of days she edits this thread.

Strange to see that Blushiemagic still didn't update this thread to the new Alpha version for 1.4.
Maybe tomorrow or in a couple of days she edits this thread.
blushie really isn't around much, anymore. Most of us want to keep this more under wraps, regardless.

No need to spread the news of the alpha around and get peoples' hopes up regarding a potential proper release date. This is still just an alpha, as well, and isn't production-ready. It's only out currently for the sake of testing.
I think I don't care about it. It has no reason to be a secret. And a good way to tell that's true is that lots of youtubers like chippy gaming are announcing that. So I see no problem in spreading it. And, as far as I know, it's not strictly prohibited in this forums to talk about it. So I will do it.

We're trying to manage expectations so that regular users don't get upset when their mods, players, and worlds break day to day as we change code. By making sure everyone reads the announcement on the discord, we can ensure that they all internalize the massive warnings. If they do, they won't have expectations that they might otherwise have and start playing through the game for real.

We're trying to manage expectations so that regular users don't get upset when their mods, players, and worlds break day to day as we change code. By making sure everyone reads the announcement on the discord, we can ensure that they all internalize the massive warnings. If they do, they won't have expectations that they might otherwise have and start playing through the game for real.
Thank you Jopojelly.

By making sure everyone reads the announcement on the discord
You do have to keep in mind though that Discord has problems from time to time, as an example: I've hit this when trying to get information on a Starbound mod pack who's author has decided to do the very same thing and have information about the pack locked in some channel on some discord. I've also hit this problem trying to look up information on various Terraria Mods themselves who's mod authors have retreated away from these community forums for who knows WHAT reason...

1628168239337.png

Not everyone can join every single discord server just for information, so making it (referring to the announcement you referred to above...) publicly available on this thread would also help. Just saying.

Last edited:
I think I don't care about it. It has no reason to be a secret. And a good way to tell that's true is that lots of youtubers like chippy gaming are announcing that. So I see no problem in spreading it. And, as far as I know, it's not strictly prohibited in this forums to talk about it. So I will do it.
I never said you couldn't talk about it, or it had to be kept a secret? And YouTubers announcing it doesn't mean anything?

You do have to keep in mind though that Discord has problems from time to time, as an example: I've hit this when trying to get information on a Starbound mod pack who's author has decided to do the very same thing and have information about the pack locked in some channel on some discord. I've also hit this problem trying to look up information on various Terraria Mods themselves who's mod authors have retreated away from these community forums for who knows WHAT reason...

1628168239337.png

Not everyone can join every single discord server just for information, so making it (referring to the announcement you referred to above...) publicly available on this thread would also help. Just saying.
TML is a public server as it stands, so you should be able to preview it without needing to join. You can also just create an alt account or switch to a private tab and join with a dummy account to view the code.

View attachment 336706

That is a valid point, not everyone wants a discord account or has room for 1 more server. But, the purpose of the alpha is for rapid mod developer feedback. There is nothing to be gained from someone who finds a bug but doesn't talk to us in the discord chat about that bug. We also regularly maintain discord pins with known workarounds to issues we are currently working on. If people were posting here in the forums, the developers might never see it, or the back and forth time required to discuss an issue on a forum like this would be too frustrating to troubleshoot issues with. On the discord, we can immediately narrow down causes of issue.

Is there a place to appeal discord bans? Cause i was banned like two years or so ago and ive never been provided a reason.

Back
Top Bottom