PC Terraria Multiplayer through Microsoft Azure & Windows (Updated)

blancfaye7

Official Terrarian
I created a Google Document about a guide on how to set this up. Here is the link: Hosting a Terraria Server in Microsoft Azure Virtual Machine & Windows

Comment on some parts where there is something that can be improved upon. There was an old guide talking about this, but it looks like a really old style where some UI elements have been moved. I also used Azure Bastion for this setup.

EDIT: I am going to update the document to only use RDP. Azure Bastion is hella expensive.
EDIT 2: Updated the document to only use RDP, but now the limitation is that the local machine of the host should be in Windows.

Last edited:
You really shouldn't allow RDP from any host on a machine connected to the open internet, it's a pretty big security flaw.
You should limit RDP connections to only be accepted from your IP.

It is a smart idea to make use of the free Azure credits though! Do note that even if the machine is off, you'll still get (small) charges for keeping the disk in the cloud.

You can also save a good bit of money by using one of the lower storage tiers, if you want to keep the server running longer. Don't forget also to assign the machine a static IP so it doesn't keep changing.

You really shouldn't allow RDP from any host on a machine connected to the open internet, it's a pretty big security flaw.
You should limit RDP connections to only be accepted from your IP.

It is a smart idea to make use of the free Azure credits though! Do note that even if the machine is off, you'll still get (small) charges for keeping the disk in the cloud.

You can also save a good bit of money by using one of the lower storage tiers, if you want to keep the server running longer. Don't forget also to assign the machine a static IP so it doesn't keep changing.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, it is better to probably limit the IP. So the workflow here would be always update the NSG's inbound rule?

Reserving for a static IP does cost, so I did not mention it. They may do so if they wish (and thus mention it in the guide)

You can also save a good bit of money by using one of the lower storage tiers
Can you elaborate? I am quite confused. There's only the OS disk that is used here.

----

EDIT: Updated the guide so that RDP access is for one IP address only.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, it is better to probably limit the IP. So the workflow here would be always update the NSG's inbound rule?

Reserving for a static IP does cost, so I did not mention it. They may do so if they wish (and thus mention it in the guide)

Can you elaborate? I am quite confused. There's only the OS disk that is used here.

----

EDIT: Updated the guide so that RDP access is for one IP address only.
Ah, wasn't aware that it costs - it's included in the tier my company uses.

On azure, when you initialise a VM you can choose what kind of storage the disk is on, from high speed SSDs to slow HDDs. The slower ones cost less to keep initialised so you can save some money there if needed!

On azure, when you initialise a VM you can choose what kind of storage the disk is on, from high speed SSDs to slow HDDs. The slower ones cost less to keep initialised so you can save some money there if needed!
Successfully decreased the OS Disk size as well as turning it to HDD. Thanks. I also included that bit in the guide.

Back
Top Bottom