Terraria State of the Game - August 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Loki which version of 1.4 are we getting? Will the Torch God be included, or will we have to wait for that?
1.4.0.5 equivalent. With torch god yes.

This ^

I would guess that true parity would come out sometime between December and Feburary of next year

After 1.4 releases on console, i would think that DR Studios will devote 2 weeks to a month to squashing bugs.
Then after that 1.4.1 and the non workshop things in 1.4.2 and 1.4.2.3 might come out to mobile and console, mobile first most likely.
That might take a while but because DR is super speedy, i would guess that it comes at latest at march

If crossplay comes, it could be a full year from that which, would not be ideal, but still be welcome.

(This is just speculation it hasnt been confirmed by DR or Relogic)

Yes, bug fixes will be a thing. You forgot Switch in your timeline there. Development, launch, and fixing for that as well.

Yes, bug fixes will be a thing. You forgot Switch in your timeline there. Development, launch, and fixing for that as well.
Yeah, good old bug fixes, even if an update doesn't add anything i do appreciate updates/hotfixes that address and fix bugs and glitches.

oh yeah switch exists
maybe then may to june possibly for everything
Switch takes longer than ps4 and xbox
makes sense

@Loki you probably already said that but i'm really new to the forum and i don't know that much, are we console players going to get texture packs in the next update? Btw sorry for my english but i'm italian

No. Unsure as to whether or not that might be possible in the future though.

Thank you for the new State of the Game report! I'm quite excited hearing about the console version progress and am primarily interested in the Switch version.

Two questions:

1. Do you have any update on mouse/keyboard controls on Switch @Loki ? It seems like a few other Switch games also use this (optional) control scheme, will Terraria support these controls, too?

2. Will there be an option in the Switch/console version to change – without going into the inventory menu and with one button press – the top left 10 items to the next 10 items (i.e. to the next row of the complete inventory), like in other games with similar inventory systems on console (for example Stardew Valley)? That would be a huge improvement, in my opinion. We briefly talked about it in March, but I am not sure whether this was considered and I would be interested in hearing whether this will be possible.

1. Do you have any update on mouse/keyboard controls on Switch @Loki ? It seems like a few other Switch games also use this (optional) control scheme, will Terraria support these controls, too?

Unknown. Switch KB+M exists but it is far from the same level of support you see on XB/PS.

. Will there be an option in the Switch/console version to change – without going into the inventory menu and with one button press – the top left 10 items to the next 10 items (i.e. to the next row of the complete inventory), like in other games with similar inventory systems on console (for example Stardew Valley)? That would be a huge improvement, in my opinion. We briefly talked about it in March, but I am not sure whether this was considered and I would be interested in hearing whether this will be possible.

I severely doubt it. No other platform for Terraria has this functionality currently.

Once parity is achieved, will world sharing be available on console?

Unknown yet. That is all wrapped up in the same logistics and such as crossplay. Cross-portability sure would be great to see.

oh yeah switch exists
maybe then may to june possibly for everything
Switch takes longer than ps4 and xbox
makes sense

i believe the thing that took so long is they were basically not only bringing in 1.4 to console, but redoing a lot of the code?

with all of that done, all they need to do is apply that to the switch version, it's unlikely to take as long, they might even be able to pull it off before the year ends.

course, that is assuming everything goes smoothly.

Last edited:
They want to do a simultaneous release.
So...
*Looks at Sony*
*Slowly turns head and looks at Microsoft*
*Squints eye suspiciously*

Looks at the calendar, oh look we're about halfway through September and it's almost time for another monthly State Of The Game.
it's

Being more technologically savvy, I am interested to know exactly what kind of work goes on behind the scenes to create and implement updates, plus I always wondered what 505 Games and that do to port Terraria over to the console versions.

Unless they rewrote the game in a different language, its likely they would be using a lot of the core code straight from the PC version and write their own control/user interface. Enumerations from unique content like items would clash with the new unified version and they could either just let it overwrite or handle manually.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some janky stuff going on due to the history of the console versions and how it has changed ownership and they have a lot more to do behind the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom