Game Mechanics Add option to enable autoswing on all weapons

MBCollector672

Terrarian
I've been having problems with my hand recently and it's made me think about this issue a lot. Weapons not having autoswing never used to bother me until repeated fast clicking started hurting my hand, and even after this issue has mostly gone away I still find it a very annoying mechanic.

There are a few main problems I have with this mechanic:

-It can be harmful to the hand over time
-It's more difficult to consistently deal damage when clicking a bit too early causes you to not swing your weapon (which I think is the point of non-global autoswing in the first place but I'll get into that later)
-Some people are slow clickers making various weapons significantly less powerful for them

There are probably a few other reasons which I can't think of right now. Please forgive me, I'm tired.
On the subject of reason 2, though, I heard somewhere that this was a choice to make certain weapons harder to use at maximum efficiency. Thing is, you can still use them optimally if you can manage to click in perfect sync with the use time, which I find frustrating as it completely destroys the original point of weapon balance (while also making it harder on the hands to optimally use the weapon.)

If this decision was made for balance purposes, I believe it would be better for everyone involved to lower the use time of current non-autoswing weapons to be less powerful and have an option (or just enable across the board) to enable autoswing on all weapons/items. If this decision was not made for balance purposes, I still think it wouldn't be a terrible idea to add this option in for accessibility reasons.

You might find it interesting to know that mobile actually already has an option for this - I can imagine that if crossplay ever happens they may add it to other platforms too for balance reasons.

I can agree with the first point. Adding more accessibility options is always a good thing in my book.

As for the second point, I don’t agree. These weapons have a skill curve to them: you either learn the timings for clicks or you get subpar damage output. If you can’t click at optimal speeds, then you don’t get optimal damage.

You might find it interesting to know that mobile actually already has an option for this - I can imagine that if crossplay ever happens they may add it to other platforms too for balance reasons.
I actually know about mobile's option and it's one of the reasons I'm recommending it here lol
I can agree with the first point. Adding more accessibility options is always a good thing in my book.

As for the second point, I don’t agree. These weapons have a skill curve to them: you either learn the timings for clicks or you get subpar damage output. If you can’t click at optimal speeds, then you don’t get optimal damage.
Fair. When I wrote this I was mad about venus magnum being nearly impossible to use efficiently and that clouded my judgement a bit

Even when using non-automatic weapon inefficiently you end up in lose-lose situation when you have both worse damage and have to spam clicks if compared to automatic ones. Thus choice pool shrinks to either using automatic weapons or not using non-automatic ones. For me at least.

I think it would be interesting to know opinion among Terraria community regarding this topic. If possible, addition of a poll would be nice.
Hopefully, they won't do the opposite for the same reasons. :)

Even when using non-automatic weapon inefficiently you end up in lose-lose situation when you have both worse damage and have to spam clicks if compared to automatic ones. Thus choice pool shrinks to either using automatic weapons or not using non-automatic ones. For me at least.

I think it would be interesting to know opinion among Terraria community regarding this topic. If possible, addition of a poll would be nice.

Hopefully, they won't do the opposite for the same reasons. :)
I doubt they would remove it - mobile didn't originally have it but then people complained that the control scheme made non-autoswinging weapons terrible to use so they added it.

Back
Top Bottom