tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

Hey, I'm thinking that's the Glenn Recruit NPC AI issue another player reported.
I did something about that on the latest hotfix, but I don't know if the problem is gone.

Only testing will say.

Hey, I'm thinking that's the Glenn Recruit NPC AI issue another player reported.
I did something about that on the latest hotfix, but I don't know if the problem is gone.

Only testing will say.
Sadly it is not gone. I am sure I have the newest version and it just occurred. I will attach the log.

It doesn't even crash. It just kind of crashes Terrarias rendering. So everything can still move and sort of function, but there are no particles and any that were there when it crashed, stick in the air. Very very strange! Also I have a current issue where if I have the option turned on for me to be knocked out rather than killed, upon dying it immediately crashes the game with no error message, upon turning the option off so everything just dies when its health reaches 0, it no longer crashes.

Attachments

• client.log
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
This issue is really weird. I will need to investigate it deeper, because It's really bizarre.
Edit:. Starfury was being used near the top edge of the world?

This issue is really weird. I will need to investigate it deeper, because It's really bizarre.
Edit:. Starfury was being used near the top edge of the world?
No we were on the surface. A boss had spawned right next to my base and we were fighting it. Along with 2 other projectile heavy enemies from a different mod.

I think there's a problem with the projectile mask system.
If I sent you a test version of the mod, would you try it?
I did something to the projectile masking system that may reduce the mistakes when trying to make companion projectiles behave like as on the player.

Thank you for not telling me of this post, TCF.

I have received reports of that issue too. The other player having it were playing on the underworld, were you exploring there too?
Also, the next time that issue happen, could you try getting the client crash log and send it to me? It's located in My Documents/My Games/Terraria/ModLoader.

@topic Who's ready for a new update? Because... Well... I've been play testing it before launching so...
FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRST!!

Please don't hate me.

Companions will now be affected by buffs of nearby tiles.
Fixed an issue where the call dialogue added the companion to the team, when you don't have the space for it.
Leopold now has a Tungsten Broadsword as one of his initial items.
Malisha now has a Flintlock Pistol as one of her initial items.
Companions will now try carrying fallen allies in combat.
-> Companion nearest to the fallen ally will try picking them up.
-> A minor recovery effect will happen when the companion is carrying the ally.
-> Upon being revived, the companion will wait a little moment before placing the ally on the floor, if it is safe to place ally on the floor.
Shadow set visual effects will now work on companions.
Removed the extra difficulty boost from bosses, when you try to spawn them from the request list.
Being rescued will now remove Bleeding debuff from everyone in your team.
Fixed a number of moments where the companion messages didn't had their text codes interpreted by the mod.
Fixed a few shading issues on Cinnamon's body.
Alexander will gain 2% Cover Rate for sleuthing Daphne, instead of 0,02%.
-> My bad.
Fixed a bug where melee enchantment weren't working.
The Weight bar in the GSI will only show up after you have got at least one companion following you.
Increased the maximum weight of companions you can get from friendship rank to 7000.
Companions will now comment which world the temple door was opened.
Fixed a bug where the companion would tries to go reviving a fallen companion while mounted.
Fixed a bug where newly met companion mentioning were counting as event finished.
-> Depending on the companion you spoke with while having that bug, would sound like as if they were extremelly anti social.
The mod now knows who is the bounty monster, so you no longer is affected by debuffs from monsters that doesn't make sense.
Fixed an issue where bosses special effects and attacks weren't working.
-> Gladly, that didn't made a bug from Sapping and Osmose attacks to cause lots of rage.
Terrarian companions can now have skin and outfit options.
Miguel arrives!
-> Do his daily exercises and get fit.
Quentin arrives!
Companions will no longer have their last message on their head upon KO or Death.
Changed where the friendship heart is shown on the companion dialogue interface.
-> Will be shown on the left of their head part, instead of the right.
Added Trust system to the mod.
-> Companions gains trust with you:
-> -> When their friendship exp increases.
-> -> When their comfort stack increases (trust continues increasing even if comfort stacks are at max).
-> -> If the Trust level is lower than 20. Increases by 1 everyday. Also increases by 1 extra point if the companion is now living in your world.
-> -> Helped companion revive.
-> Companions loses trust with you:
-> -> When they enter knocked out state.
-> -> When they die.
-> -> -> For the above two, if the reason is seem to be by the player fault, the companion will lose more trust than usual.
-> -> When wall of flesh swallows them.
-> -> Cancelling a request from them that you've accepted.
-> -> Failing a request.
-> Depending on how low the friendship level of the companion is, they will refuse to:
-> -> Live in your world.
-> -> Follow you.
-> -> Giving Requests.
-> -> Letting you control them.
-> Depending on how low the friendship level drops, those may happen:
-> -> Companions will stop following you.
-> -> Companion will move out of the world.
-> You can check the trust level of the companion on the dialogue window.
Companions will now try using certain potions depending on situation:
-> Obsidian Potion when they're inside lava, or are in the Underworld.
-> Gills potion, when they're underwater, and their breath metter is under 20%.
Fixed an animation issue with Fluffles backward standing animation.
-> It were borrowing a frame from revive, instead of playing it correctly.
Fixed a bug where tile placement in houses weren't updating correctly.
Companions will try to abuse of pull saves for when:
-> About to take fall damage.
-> About to fall on lava.
-> When being inside lava.
-> When about to drown and your character isn't drowning.
-> Pull saves only happens when the companion is following you.
Fixed a issue with the revive action for mounted companions.
Companions afflicted by buffs or debuffs will no longer affect general companions commentaries.
-> That means there will be no delay before another companion be able to comment something.

Arrivals

As read above, this update introduces 2 new companions. Prepare yourself to meet:

View attachment 340789Miguel: "*Hey! How are you supposed to save the world with that skinny body? Time to grow some muscles, Terrarian.*"

He's your personal trainer, like it or not. People have been slacking so much, that I thought they needed to do some exercises and get healthier, and that's what he has to offer to anyone who gets exercises from him daily. I tried adding some dialogues to him based on things I learned when I used to make exercises, so I hope It's actually mostly accurate?​

View attachment 340790 Quentin: "Hi, I'm Quentin, an apprentice magician and a novice adventurer looking for new adventures."

This mage bunny was created by totote97, and well... He's mostly a terrarian, with a bizarre bunny head and a hat, or bunny ears, depending on your choice. Based on what he said, he's based on a character of a bunny storyteller from children stuff. He's 100% possible to find in-game, beside until the release of the update, I still didn't managed to get him, beside managed to make him spawn when testing his spawning. Heh.

I kind of wanted his storyteller part be part of his character, but currently I don't really have much time to make up stories he could tell, so that will be for future planning instead.​

Trust System

Due to people bullying the companions, I had to add a trust system. The trust system will give allowance to people to request more things of the companion, like asking them to move in, follow them, or even get requests. Currently, mostly you can lose trust with them if you let them die, if you let them be knocked out and not revive them, fail a request or cancel a request you accepted from them.

Depending on how low their trust drops, they will forcedly leave your party, or even leave your world. Don't worry, though. If the companions are living in your world, their trust will rise if they live well in your world. And if they're not, trust is restored every in-game day passed.

Also, as a side effect to this change, I took the liberty of adding "pull saves" AI for the companions. When following the player and they feel that are going to have their face smashed on the ground, or fall in lava, drowning, or even burning in lava, they will try pulling themselves to your position. That should reduce a lot of accidental deaths during your travels, includding on the infame underworld.

Ending

Well, I guess that's about it. Do be careful, since the Bounty Quests target modifiers were fixed, so now they should make things harder for you.

Enjoy your gameplay. :3
And have fun.
Ah yes, just what I needed.

Someone to tell me once again that I should work out.

In all seriousness though, really cool how often you update the mod, I’m always coming back to play it again due to how often you update it.

Hello, sorry for google.

I didn't followed the mod for about a year, it has changed a lot, and for the better - that's good. But there are a couple of not very pleasant moments.

1) I don't know if this problem is tied to any other guardian, but in my case - Blue. After I leaving the world, all her skills are reset to 0. No one else guardians don't have this bug. Maybe I haven't noticed yet. Can you fix it?

2) Damage from spikes (For example, in a dungeon) that the guardians take - Damage is in percentage and armor does not decrease it. Because of what no matter how much health and armor the guards have, they receive one damage. And he is not small. From 70-120 approximately, I saw if the guardian has more than 1k hp. With 600 hp, it takes 30-50 damage.
Can you make the armor would reduce incoming damage from spikes to guardians?

3) Knockout system - after the resurrection, the character "Attaches" to the guardian who resurrected him, which makes it impossible to move. This happened several times and was corrected by teleporting to the city. Have you or someone else had this?

Last edited:
Ah yes, just what I needed.

Someone to tell me once again that I should work out.

In all seriousness though, really cool how often you update the mod, I’m always coming back to play it again due to how often you update it.
Haha. Glad to see you liking.
Hello, sorry for google.

I didn't followed the mod for about a year, it has changed a lot, and for the better - that's good. But there are a couple of not very pleasant moments.

1) I don't know if this problem is tied to any other guardian, but in my case - Blue. After I leaving the world, all her skills are reset to 0. No one else guardians don't have this bug. Maybe I haven't noticed yet. Can you fix it?

2) Damage from spikes (For example, in a dungeon) that the guardians take - Damage is in percentage and armor does not decrease it. Because of what no matter how much health and armor the guards have, they receive one damage. And he is not small. From 70-120 approximately, I saw if the guardian has more than 1k hp. With 600 hp, it takes 30-50 damage.
Can you make the armor would reduce incoming damage from spikes to guardians?

3) Knockout system - after the resurrection, the character "Attaches" to the guardian who resurrected him, which makes it impossible to move. This happened several times and was corrected by teleporting to the city. Have you or someone else had this?
Google didn't do anything :(.

Anyways, I'll answer your topics:

1) Check out this folder, and inside the folders in it, and see if there's the companion names there:
"My Documents/My Games/Terraria/ModLoader/TerraGuardians".

2) I think I may have done that intentionally. I'll add on the todo list to remove that of spikes causing full damage on companions.

3) The system of companions carrying allies functions like this:
When an ally falls, a companion close by will try picking up the ally.
If there's foes around, the companion will carry the fallen ally, while trying to avoid staying in range of the attacks, and also giving a minor revive boost.
If there is no foe around, the companion will wait a bit before place the fallen ally on the floor, for everyone to revive.
The same is also valid when the ally is resurrected, there is a timer before they put the ally on the floor, but the timer doesn't refreshes if there's enemies nearby.

I will probably need to lower those timers to make the companion place the fallen ally on the floor earlier, but not that much earlier to the point of leaving the one carried end up without chance of reaction.

In case the companion never places you on the floor, then there is some problem with that action, which I will need to check.

Haha. Glad to see you liking.

Google didn't do anything :(.

Anyways, I'll answer your topics:

1) Check out this folder, and inside the folders in it, and see if there's the companion names there:
"My Documents/My Games/Terraria/ModLoader/TerraGuardians".

2) I think I may have done that intentionally. I'll add on the todo list to remove that of spikes causing full damage on companions.

3) The system of companions carrying allies functions like this:
When an ally falls, a companion close by will try picking up the ally.
If there's foes around, the companion will carry the fallen ally, while trying to avoid staying in range of the attacks, and also giving a minor revive boost.
If there is no foe around, the companion will wait a bit before place the fallen ally on the floor, for everyone to revive.
The same is also valid when the ally is resurrected, there is a timer before they put the ally on the floor, but the timer doesn't refreshes if there's enemies nearby.

I will probably need to lower those timers to make the companion place the fallen ally on the floor earlier, but not that much earlier to the point of leaving the one carried end up without chance of reaction.

In case the companion never places you on the floor, then there is some problem with that action, which I will need to check.
1) The name "Blue" is present in the folder. But her skills are still reset to 0. And so every time I enter the game again.

3) When the guardians resurrect allies, everything happens normally. But when guardian resurrect me, after the resurrection is complete, I remain "Attached" to the guardian.

Just now checked this and again. The guardian lifted me into space, completed the resurrection, but does not let me go (The character froze in guardian's hand). It remains only to teleport to the city, then he lets go.

Bug.PNG

1) The name "Blue" is present in the folder. But her skills are still reset to 0. And so every time I enter the game again.

3) When the guardians resurrect allies, everything happens normally. But when guardian resurrect me, after the resurrection is complete, I remain "Attached" to the guardian.

Just now checked this and again. The guardian lifted me into space, completed the resurrection, but does not let me go (The character froze in guardian's hand). It remains only to teleport to the city, then he lets go.
1) Do you have other player characters on tModLoader?

3) Are you sure that your character didn't died? Maybe she was trying to take you to heaven.

Haha, just kidding. I'll add to the todo list that I have to check the codes of the carry ally script.

Edit:. Maybe that's the clue that was necessary. The companion will only try placing their ally on the floor if they're on the ground.
Do you have any clue of why she would be fly... Oh crap... I know why she's flying to the sky.

This problem just got more serious.

1) Do you have other player characters on tModLoader?

3) Are you sure that your character didn't died? Maybe she was trying to take you to heaven.

Haha, just kidding. I'll add to the todo list that I have to check the codes of the carry ally script.

Edit:. Maybe that's the clue that was necessary. The companion will only try placing their ally on the floor if they're on the ground.
Do you have any clue of why she would be fly... Oh crap... I know why she's flying to the sky.

This problem just got more serious.
1) Yes I have. And I saw that guardians have the same skill on all player characters. It always has been or just recently? I checked out Blue, Mabel, Michelle, Sardine, Bree, Minerva and Cpt. Stench. Only Blue's skills are reset.

1) Yes I have. And I saw that guardians have the same skill on all player characters. It always has been or just recently? I checked out Blue, Mabel, Michelle, Sardine, Bree, Minerva and Cpt. Stench. Only Blue's skills are reset.
Since latest update, all companions status and life crystals will be the same for all player characters, so let's say, Blue's life crystals, mana crystals and skill progress will be the same for all characters you play with, or at least that should be the idea, since if Blue's status are resetting, then there is something wrong happening with loading and saving of those infos.

I think there's a problem with the projectile mask system.
If I sent you a test version of the mod, would you try it?
I did something to the projectile masking system that may reduce the mistakes when trying to make companion projectiles behave like as on the player.
Yeah happily. Only change is a potential projectile fix right? Happy to test run that for you :)

I sent it to you. Do notice that a few things will be different from latest released version for obvious reasons.
Let's hope the issue is fixed.

Low trust block quest giving,yes?But it also block quest reporting.I go walk with Daphne and she died in lava pits 2 times,her trust fall to -34 and i can't tell her that walking time is over.
Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit:With low trust they refuse to follow through dialog,but happily join if you tell them through guardian main menu

Last edited:
Low trust block quest giving,yes?But it also block quest reporting.I go walk with Daphne and she died in lava pits 2 times,her trust fall to -34 and i can't tell her that walking time is over.
Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit:With low trust they refuse to follow through dialog,but happily join if you tell them through guardian main menu
Trust will no longer affect requests on the next mod update. And I fixed that little exploit on that version too.

...It's a good thing I've finished my ARPG playthrough before trust system arrived, huh. I tried to stack armor on them, and told to stay as far from melee as possible, but that didn't help much...

Ahem. It's a very cool mod, and it's really adds having some actual characters hanging around. And them looking at backgrounds is a nice touch.

But I have got a few things want to ask.

First, about some quest. How to access Bree's bagless skin and princess outfit? I've been doing her requests for a while, but they've all been generic.

Second, about rquirements. I can't seem to meet Glenn. Dryad also mentioned some guardian in the dungeon looking for someone, but even after a couple of blood moons spent in there I haven't met anyone new. I was bringing Fluffles with me, but I guess that wasn't related to her.

Third, about sprites. Large guardian jumping sprite feels off. I get it that they do the same pose as player, but their legs aren't 6 pixels long either. I tried to edit Blure's sprite a bit to make a less goofy pose, but I don't think I'm good enough at it. Also, it may be on my end, but Vladimir's legs were flipping upside-down when he was sitting down on a couch.

Fourth, about Blue. Her dialogue being third-person is at odds with other talking characters, and feels off. Is there any plans to change that? Also, can I do something to stop her and company from violently bullying poor Sardine? Or should I just send them home?

Also, I find it pretty cool that Michelle gets the same race as player if modded.

Attachments

• bl.png
    bl.png
    779 bytes · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom