NPCs & Enemies Make Deerclops Regenerate His HP Upon Every Player Near Him Dying

How do you feel about my proposed change?

• Approve

• Disapprove

• Neutral

Results are only viewable after voting.

Flubman

Terrarian
As is, Deerclops seems too easy to cheese due to him not despawning upon the player's death. The items you can get from Deerclops are actually good now, and allowing the player to cheese what would otherwise be a fairly hard boss by mindlessly slamming their face into a wall 1,000 times to get good equipment does a disservice to both Deerclops as a boss and Terraria's progression as a whole. I know that the devs made him this way because it's more faithful to what Deerclops is like in Don't Starve, but Don't Starve is a very different game from Terraria (such as DS having permadeath as a core mechanic), and what works for one game might not work for the other. I also know that Deerclops despawns naturally, but that's only after three days, and that is quite a long time. I think that my solution of making Deerclops not despawn, but regenerate his HP upon every player near him dying would eliminate this cheese while also keeping Deerclops faithful to his appearance in Don't Starve.

What do you guys think? I'd like to start a discussion and get more opinions.

Edit: Here's a video of said cheese:

Last edited:
Perhaps make him regen his health when all players are dead to fit with the other bosses. It would be the same as what you're suggesting for single player, but for multiplayer you'd have the same experience as with other bosses; as long as one player is alive the boss fight does not get reset.

Master Mode never adds any new mechanics to boss fights. However, having it only apply to Expert and Master could work.
The problem is that you never see a Boss in vanilla that heals itself because it's too overpowered for a boss. An enemy or even a miniboss would be tolerable but a Boss it's too much. Even more for one that's not endgame. Because moonlord has some kind of regen, but you can avoid it. But as the drops from Deerclops are actually quite bad and you will pass through that fase quickly (you will get other better weapons soon) and that he doesn't drop anything more in Master mode that you could say its rewarding, I prefer him not having this ability at all.

The problem is that you never see a Boss in vanilla that heals itself because it's too overpowered for a boss. An enemy or even a miniboss would be tolerable but a Boss it's too much. Even more for one that's not endgame. Because moonlord has some kind of regen, but you can avoid it. But as the drops from Deerclops are actually quite bad and you will pass through that fase quickly (you will get other better weapons soon) and that he doesn't drop anything more in Master mode that you could say its rewarding, I prefer him not having this ability at all.
They are only suggesting to make Deerclops regenerate health while players are dead and far away, which would effectively remove a cheese method that could be used to obtain powerful drops and wouldn't impact the normal fight. No matter what you think of Deerclops's drops, they are pretty powerful compared to early game weapons, especially after the 1.4.3.2 buffs they got. Bone Helm and Pew-matic Horn in particular would be very strong if obtained really early on.

The Pew-Matic is great; I killed the Expert Wall of Flesh easily with it, and Skeletron, too.

I've been doing a Master Mode For the Worthy playthrough for the first time, and the Weather Pain has been great even up to Hardmode. It's the one of the best weapons available for Dark Casters, cursed skulls, bats, hellbats, harpies, demon eyes, devils, eater of souls, Crimera, etc. You can just fire it, it homes, it ignores armor, it stunlocks, it uses very little mana (unlike flamelash and magic missile), and you can use another weapon at the same time or run and hide. It's my go-to side weapon even as a ranger.

Houndius Shootius isn't great but its the best bossing sentry avaialable and the only 'helper' sentry for OOA. Lucy is mediocre for bossing but is just about as useful as Bee Keeper or Muramasa.

But I definitely agree that he doesn't need healing!

Edit: And don't forget Chester! Bone Helm is pretty neat, too.

Yeah, what Dreadnautilus said.

The Pew-Matic is great; I killed the Expert Wall of Flesh easily with it, and Skeletron, too.

I've been doing a Master Mode For the Worthy playthrough for the first time, and the Weather Pain has been great even up to Hardmode. It's the one of the best weapons available for Dark Casters, cursed skulls, bats, hellbats, harpies, demon eyes, devils, eater of souls, Crimera, etc. You can just fire it, it homes, it ignores armor, it stunlocks, it uses very little mana (unlike flamelash and magic missile), and you can use another weapon at the same time or run and hide. It's my go-to side weapon even as a ranger.

Houndius Shootius isn't great but its the best bossing sentry avaialable and the only 'helper' sentry for OOA. Lucy is mediocre for bossing but is just about as useful as Bee Keeper or Muramasa.

But I definitely agree that he doesn't need healing!

Edit: And don't forget Chester! Bone Helm is pretty neat, too.
I'd like you to explain your reasoning as to why you don't think my idea is good.

Devs dont want to make him despawn to keep faithful to DST

Playerbase wants him to despawn so that he cant be easily killed by going back to him every time.

If he heals to full when a boss would normally despawn, then you essentially made the fight start again on every death. And this also keeps faithful to DST, so both sides are satisfied.

I dont see an issue to this.

I'd like you to explain your reasoning as to why you don't think my idea is good.
My reasoning is because this is a new and interesting mechanic. We don't know yet how things will shake out. The devs are thinking 'new players will enjoy this mechanic.' Experienced players like you are thinking 'new players will get annoyed or bored of this mechanic.'

But I haven't heard anyone who's actually experienced this talk about this. I've never died to Deerclops, so I don't know what the respawn thing actually feels like, and so far everything I've seen is hypothetical (like 'I think other players will cheese this'). In a few months or a year, the guides and youtube playthroughs will probably all settle down and do the same thing as each other, and we'll see by then if people like the new mechanic or hate it (kind of like how Phantasm always uses a minecart to kill EoW and complains how easy it is).

If they take it away now, Deerclops will just like all other bosses. Leaving it in makes it more of a cool experiment.

I'm not super passionate about it, and won't push for my view any more (because if I'm the only one with my PoV I'm clearly wrong), but you wanted me to explain my reasoning.

The difference between this cheese and other cheese is that there is no option to not use it, you don’t have to use mine cart to cheese EoW but you can, but not matter what deerclops won’t heal and he won’t despair leaving literally 0 punishment for death.

The problem is that you never see a Boss in vanilla that heals itself because it's too overpowered for a boss.
on a technical level the moon lord heals itself if you don't destroy the moon leech clots before they return to it.

if anything this sounds like how the brain of chalupa didn't despawn on death if you fought it near your respawn point and that was addressed with properly despawning, so there is precedent for something like that being changed.

My reasoning is because this is a new and interesting mechanic. We don't know yet how things will shake out. The devs are thinking 'new players will enjoy this mechanic.' Experienced players like you are thinking 'new players will get annoyed or bored of this mechanic.'

But I haven't heard anyone who's actually experienced this talk about this. I've never died to Deerclops, so I don't know what the respawn thing actually feels like, and so far everything I've seen is hypothetical (like 'I think other players will cheese this'). In a few months or a year, the guides and youtube playthroughs will probably all settle down and do the same thing as each other, and we'll see by then if people like the new mechanic or hate it (kind of like how Phantasm always uses a minecart to kill EoW and complains how easy it is).

If they take it away now, Deerclops will just like all other bosses. Leaving it in makes it more of a cool experiment.

I'm not super passionate about it, and won't push for my view any more (because if I'm the only one with my PoV I'm clearly wrong), but you wanted me to explain my reasoning.
This is how it works: When Deerclops kills you, he doesn't despawn while also keeping all the damage you did to him. This allows you to kill him simply by fighting him over and over again by whittling down his HP. The primary mechanic that makes boss fights in Terraria difficult is them despawning upon the player's death. If you remove that, it makes it too easy to beat the boss through mindless attrition.

Besides, my idea would still leave Deerclops as being unique in that he wouldn't despawn upon the player's death; he'd just get his HP back. Currently, no Terraria boss does this.

Very very elegant change to both fix cheese and maintain faithfulness to source material.

Hopefully doesn't get implemented soon so i can try cheesing myself for one run.

Here's a video of a guy in Master Mode doing the same cheese I voiced my concerns about:

As you can see, he plays poorly but is able to beat Deerclops anyway by slamming his face into a wall over and over again.

Back
Top Bottom