Game Mechanics Map Markers / Waypoints

ND6UjDK.png
Map Markers / Way-points
ND6UjDK.png

Hello fellow terrarians! Have you ever wanted to create marks on your map, to remember where you stored your excess material while mining, or label certain areas? Or how about marking where you recently died, and need to return? Well, currently, Terraria is lacking this feature, which seems trivial for any kind of map. This is why I am here to help stir minds about such topics. (I apologize if this is a duplicate thread, but didn't find any that go in depth, besides just mentioning it)

UI Addition to Maps:
In the near future, will add more images!
To the left side of the screen while the map is open, a small menu, approximately 1/4th the width of the screen wide, will contain all necessary tools to create the waypoints. At the top of the menu, will be a scroll-able list of markers that are currently registered on the map. In order to create a marker, there will be a button in the bottom-left of the menu, resembled by this icon:
OTDDmg3.png

Once the icon is pressed, if an item known as the "Ink and Quill" (Crafted with 1 dye (any color), and a feather):
4aoFvId.png
(Sorry For Poor Image Quality, Will Be Fixed!!!!)

is present in the player's inventory, a new marker is able to be placed on the map. In order to create it, left-click on the location to be marked. Once a location is marked, a small dialog box (Similar to that of a sign) appears in the center of the map. However, in this menu, there is a HSV slider (Hue, Saturation, Value) to change the markers color, and an input box to name the marker. Once all settings are complete, the user is able to hit the "Create Marker" button in the bottom-right of said dialog box. Once created, the marker will appear on the map. Example of a red marker:
ND6UjDK.png

However, if you wish to remove a marker, or toggle visibility, you would find the marker in the menu, and hit the corresponding buttons. In order to delete the marker, you select this (NOTE: the Ink and Quill used to create the marker will not be refunded!):
eKXjq5x.png

And then the marker you wish to delete, and in order to toggle visibility, select:
PygfbeX.png

In order to edit a marker, the user must double-click the name of the marker, and the dialog box will reappear, allowing for color and name adjustments.

Here is an example of what the map screen will now look like:
N4XhiEt.png

In the Minimap, each flag will be visible, similar to Mobile's way of displaying NPC's. The farther you are away from the marker, the smaller the marker appears on the map. The visibility is toggled via the toggle button in the large-map view. (Thanks @Jeear for the idea!)

New Map Zoom-To Function:
In the near future, will add more images!
The user will be able to center the map on the location of their choosing. In order to do this, one must right-click any location, and the map will transition and center on that single point. Another way to do this is by clicking a marker in the map menu, and the game will zoom the map to center on that specific marker.

Map Markers Support Signature!
t7rlGXX.png

Just insert this into your signature:
Code:
[URL='http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/map-markers-waypoints.8271/'][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/t7rlGXX.png[/IMG]  [/URL]

kdcROYP.png

Please comment with any ideas to add to the suggestions, critique my sprites, and provide constructive criticism, as this is my first ever suggestion! Thanks for the time reading over my suggestion, much appreciated!

Last edited:
You have my support for this addition. While it may seem small in comparison to some other features in the game, this is simply beautiful. I honestly want to see how many flags spam the map when I die. (Sarcasm) Sarcasm aside, this needs to be added. The fact that you even made an example for us to see what the new UI would look like is just the cherry on top.

Also, the marker should appear on the minimap (smaller). So it'll be like a compass. This would be very helpful.

well this certainly can't hurt so you get my support part of m wonders if this should be a map upgrade but as the maps available from the stat it might be fine as is...

well this certainly can't hurt so you get my support part of m wonders if this should be a map upgrade but as the maps available from the stat it might be fine as is...
I was thinking of making a consumable item that permanently unlocks it, or an accessory, which would be sold by the Travelling Merchant, since, he travels a lot (Or at least claims to). However, I feel as if we already have too much stuff in his shop, making the item difficult to obtain due to RNG. I might make a change to the GPS to allow this though...

I was thinking of making a consumable item that permanently unlocks it, or an accessory, which would be sold by the Travelling Merchant, since, he travels a lot (Or at least claims to). However, I feel as if we already have too much stuff in his shop, making the item difficult to obtain due to RNG. I might make a change to the GPS to allow this though...
I'd go with the consumable. we already gain health and mana this way why stop there?

Support, even though stuff I'd need to marker is named on mouseover in the map. It'd be WAAAY better for mobile, where I can't tell if it's a Bulb or foliage, and I waste like 16 torches making a bright yellow marker for Bulbs.

do you have any ideas to make this idea for mobile? .D.
I don't see why not! After all, I believe in equality in all versions (Except for tiny differences)!

Also, I'm going to be giving the thread a bit of a facelift tomorrow. Right now, well, it's quite a bit bland, and a little like a wall of text :p
As well as adding a new consumable item.

then its finished,can you send me a link? and give me permission to do it in my modpack? :D

Back
Top Bottom