Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
um I'm not sure whether this should be put here but will Deerclops get his corresponding defeating achievement? He's the only boss without one.

That sounds like something above what Leinfors can do alone, the most this update will be able to accomplish are simple coding changes like nerfs/buffs or moving existing functionality to something else.

That sounds like something above what Leinfors can do alone, the most this update will be able to accomplish are simple coding changes like nerfs/buffs or moving existing functionality to something else.
That's what I've been thinking actually XD but I do hope something else can be done, since this being probably the last update Terraria would have.

Actually, I don't know if this is anything important, but the Golem thread has already appeared here, so if it gets some improvement, I would also like to ask you to look at a certain problem. It is about the difficulty of creating textures due to the strange behavior of the glowing elements. I don't know if there is any room for improvement, but I wanted to mention it.
Screenshot_20220112-080213_Discord.jpg
Screenshot_20220112-080326_Discord.jpg
Screenshot_20220112-080355_Discord.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, I don't know if this is anything important, but the Golem thread has already appeared here, so if it gets some improvement, I would also like to ask you to look at a certain problem. It is about the difficulty of creating textures due to the strange behavior of the glowing elements. I don't know if there is any room for improvement, but I wanted to mention it.
Please spoiler that like I have here so that it's not just a massive string of images people have to scroll past every time they open this page.

And also, if you want a massive game overhaul, just play the Overhaul mod in T-mod (Yes, I do know that this is about the vannilla version, but I just wanted to say that)

As I understand it, this is a mechanics overhaul proposed to textures that simply doesn't work with texture packs. You need to make custom adjustments to the code.

Basically, doing this is "modding" and no longer within the realm of texture packs as we have them implemented.
I was thinking about something that might be possible to introduce a second texture for the glowing elements at the moment of changing a given part of the scroll. For example, a Golem with a closed mouth has a Glowing forehead A, and a Golem with an open mouth has a Glowing forehead B. The texture of the Glowing Forehead does not change, but gives the community the ability to customize the glowing element at the time of animation.

How about moving the whip bonus from Obsidian Armor to Stardust Armor? I think it really deserves to be an endgame set bonus.

The Stardust Guardian are generally considered weaker than others in endgame set bonuses, and the whip bonus to the Stardust Armor could make up for that, while not frustrating Summoner players too much after the Obsidian nerf .

Last edited:
I was thinking about something that might be possible to introduce a second texture for the glowing elements at the moment of changing a given part of the scroll. For example, a Golem with a closed mouth has a Glowing forehead A, and a Golem with an open mouth has a Glowing forehead B. The texture of the Glowing Forehead does not change, but gives the community the ability to customize the glowing element at the time of animation.

This is a mechanics overhaul beyond the scope of balance changes.

Moving away from the topic of texture, I have a suggestion for a few changes to fishing poles:

Fisher of Souls - now increases the chance of picking up Corrupt Crates in Corruption.

Fleshcatcher - now increases the chance of catching Crimson Crates in Crimson.

Scarab Fishing Rod - now increases the chance to catch Oasis Crates in the Desert.
Now also found in Sandstone Chests.

Fiberglass Fishing Pole - now increases the chance of catching Jungle Crates in the Jungle.

Hotline Fishing Hook - now increases the chance of catching Obsidian Crates in Hell.
Now available in pre-Hardmode after 33 tasks from the Angler.

Sitting Duck's Fishing Pole - now increases the chance of catching Dungeon Crates in Dungeon.

Moving away from the topic of texture, I have a suggestion for a few changes to fishing poles:

Fisher of Souls - now increases the chance of picking up Corrupt Crates in Corruption.

Fleshcatcher - now increases the chance of catching Crimson Crates in Crimson.

Scarab Fishing Rod - now increases the chance to catch Oasis Crates in the Desert.
Now also found in Sandstone Chests.

Fiberglass Fishing Pole - now increases the chance of catching Jungle Crates in the Jungle.

Hotline Fishing Hook - now increases the chance of catching Obsidian Crates in Hell.
Now available in pre-Hardmode after 33 tasks from the Angler.

Sitting Duck's Fishing Pole - now increases the chance of catching Dungeon Crates in Dungeon.
that's have sense too

Having the Hotline Fishing Hook being available earlier and in pre-hardmode does sound like a good change since we already have a few ways of lava fishing without it.
That makes sense, no reason to gate it now that the drops are progression dependent. However, in it's current state the Hotline Fishing Hook is completely superfluous.
You get a guaranteed drop of the Golden Fishing rod after 30 Angler quests, compared to a 1/75 chance for Hotline after 25 quests and up, there's basically no use for it even if you luck out and get it in the 5 quest window it could theoretically be useful, even if you make it a 100% drop earlier it's gonna be good for what? Ten, twenty quests? Giving it a faster fishing speed in lava would gift it a permanent niche like the one it had before.
Edit: My rampant need to correct my own grammar will be the death of me, I swear...

Last edited:
I don't particularly like the idea of biome-exclusive benefits to fishing rods.
The point is simply that a biome rod is supposed to increase the chance of crates from that biome.
It is a pity there is also no ocean, winter, hallowed and sky fishing rod as then it would have been a full set.
But this buff only works on the matching biome, while the other biome remains the same.

Definitely agree with making the hotline fishing hook obtainable earlier/easier to get. It gets overshadowed quickly otherwise.

Regarding angler quest rewards, why is the endless water bucket/sponge a hardmode reward? The lava equivalents are prehardmode. I think the water equivalents could be moved into prehardmode for consistency's sake.

Definitely agree with making the hotline fishing hook obtainable earlier/easier to get. It gets overshadowed quickly otherwise.
This also has no sense. As mentioned earlier, gold pole becomes available after 30 quests of with 100%. - 100 *** You can easily get your hand on pickaxe able to mine hellstone (so have to defeat worm/brain) -> then make lavaproof net-> and finally fishing up lava crate using only few-8 lava critters. No matter what pole you will use you are obligated to have tackle bag for best performance; which is upgradable using lavaproof bobber. So this hook will also become somehow "useless" in terms of utilizing lava fishing purpose.INSTEAD we could simply balance this 2 top-tier tools by next step:
Make hotline as 35(6)th (because 6 is evil-ish number) quest reward and put gold one in shipping as random hardmode quest reward. OR make lavaproof hook be obtainable as reward with other fishing related tools (line ,bag,earring). So you will have few ways of fishing in lava :
1. through mining for hell critters
2. through quest completing
3. combined both

Since we're on the topic of fishing, the drop rate for crystal hearts is really, really low. 1/15, doesn't sound too bad, until you realize they only drop from golden crates, and a 1 in fifteen chance is only 6.67%. It even goes down to 6.33% for Titanium crates.

CrabBar's Skyblock videos do a really good job showing the absolutely insane amount of time it can take just to get the minimum of fifteen hearts for one player.
All this to say crystal hearts can be found much easier by exploring, and if you do run out somehow then world hopping for more is still waaay better than fishing.
Like, seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom