Please help me :(

spacecat77

Terrarian
unfortunately on new years day my Terraria refused to load, not a happy new year :( i am not a computer wizzard but i have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, replacing and repairing framework etc etc.
I have found this message in the crash log but i don't know what it means, can anyone help please?

01/01/2015 10:03:52
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at Terraria.Main.lookForColorTiles()
at Terraria.Main.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at Terraria.Program.Main(String[] args)

unfortunately on new years day my Terraria refused to load, not a happy new year :( i am not a computer wizzard but i have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, replacing and repairing framework etc etc.
I have found this message in the crash log but i don't know what it means, can anyone help please?

at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
I think i encounted this before. All i did was click again and it would work. But by the looks of this, that won't help.

i've tried to give it time and then log on but i just tried again today and sadly no, i'm a mother of four and don't have very much spare time, i put in about 200 hours over some months and then my file became corrupted and i lost all my game data and character data so reluctantly started again. Now after putting in nearly 200 hours again over a large time frame this has happened! it's infuriating and i can't fix it :(((((

I googled a bit and please correct me if I'm wrong:
You can run the game fine but are getting this error when you click on your world, right?

Edit: If so, can you put your world up for download?

i open Terraria, click on my character and then my world and just as it's about to open up comes a pop up saying "a problem with the program means windows has to close the program. i had to manually find the crash log to find the message above.
Forgive me for sounding a bit thick but what do you mean by "put your world up for download"?

Not the error message, your world file. :)
It's in your My Documents\Terraria\Worlds folder.
You can hopefully attach it to this forum (see the Upload a File button in the lower right) after you compress it with winrar or winzip or 7zip or whatever. Otherwise you'll have to upload it elsewhere.

Yeap, you've done that correctly. :)
Bad new though, I hoped I could open your world in TEdit, but that program crashes as well. Tried a map viewer, gave a strange error message.

What you can do:
Go to the folder where you found your world map. There should be a file named hell.wld.bak.
Remove or relocate hell.wld, NOT hell.wld.bak. After it's gone, RENAME hell.wld.bak to hell.wld.
Try running the game and see if it loads the map.

If that fails, here's hoping a dev or someone else with know-how about Terraria's inner workings can take a look at your map.

Some more questions though:
- Were you using mods?
- Were you using an illegal copy of the game? (Sorry, I have to ask, not suspecting you of being a pirate.)
- What was the last thing you did/build on that map, as far as you can remember?

For the future: It is VERY wise to make periodical backups of your map. I've never had a map go corrupt on me, but it sure seems to happen to people now and then. :indifferent:

Yeap, you've done that correctly. :)
Bad new though, I hoped I could open your world in TEdit, but that program crashes as well. Tried a map viewer, gave a strange error message.

What you can do:
Go to the folder where you found your world map. There should be a file named hell.wld.bak.
Remove or relocate hell.wld, NOT hell.wld.bak. After it's gone, RENAME hell.wld.bak to hell.wld.
Try running the game and see if it loads the map.

If that fails, here's hoping a dev or someone else with know-how about Terraria's inner workings can take a look at your map.

Some more questions though:
- Were you using mods?
- Were you using an illegal copy of the game? (Sorry, I have to ask, not suspecting you of being a pirate.)
- What was the last thing you did/build on that map, as far as you can remember?

For the future: It is VERY wise to make periodical backups of your map. I've never had a map go corrupt on me, but it sure seems to happen to people now and then. :indifferent:
don't know what mods are and no i bought the game from amazon. I was half way through defeating a goblin army.

Do not use modded clients on your servers, this might cause issues with your world.

Last edited:
Sounds like something else is corrupting your game, try buying the game from steam (I know you already bought it) Steam will help with this because since amazon is just a selling/buying website they probably will reimburse your sale. If not then your most likely gonna buy a new copy through steam. Reason why im telling you is because the game you bought is corrupted (most likely) even if you fix just that world any world newely created could have this issue (if im not mistaken) so just get it on steam for like 2$ it isn't a high price. This is just a suggestion let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom