Terraria 1.4.3.3 - Steam Deck Optimization Update Release Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though it's obvious the phasing through walls isn't intentional, most the other things you'll experience here are (like swarming due to the Water Candle buff/ debuff), which means it's especially vital for this area to have a consistent experience for all players involved, as well as a reasonable countermeasure.
I'm fine and very much used to things like the Dungeon spellcasters spawning in entirely other rooms and throwing attacks at me. That's perfectly fine. But if they're untouchable inside of a wall, that's where I have a problem.
If this is what Terrarians have been trying to describe to me about this area (mostly in the Steam Forums), that I've been mostly dismissive about, I feel awful. This absolutely shouldn't be happening, and if the feature cannot reasonably be fixed, no matter how rare the instance is, should be removed.
I don't know about them, but I just know what I showed in that video. That's my whole issue with the Dungeon as it is. If they can stop the enemies just moonwalking into the wall and tearing you apart, then I have nothing to really complain about in terms of Terraria content. Crumbling Bricks are my biggest and most vocal problem.
I only want the best for a company/ group like Re-Logic, as they feel like they're the Developers that gamers like myself have been waiting so long for, but it can happen to anyone, and the reasons why it happens are almost always wildly different from the last.
I want the best for them too, as Terraria is one of my two games that hasn't been absolutely screwed by updates, sans Crumbling Bricks. I enjoy seeing new and neat things being added but... If it is at the cost of playability, then I will whole heartedly oppose it.
All I can do is hope they find a clever way to "fix" the problem, without gutting the potential that was added, but they have their work cut out for them, because now they have to compete with the potential 1.4.4 Summoner, that'll be much more powerful by sheer circumstance (i.e. Queen Spider's tier has been increased by at least two levels [10min active use-time], both Spider and Bee Armor's tier was increased by the buff to Bewitching Table).
I've actually never heard of whip stacking. I wonder what it really entails. But if it is really that broken, then maybe it should be patched out.
Somehow, Obsidian Armor, which wasn't entirely the problem IMHO, will have to sit either comfortably between Bee Armor and Spider Armor, or be an alternative to Spider Armor in a 'lesser sense', because it'll need "breathing room" for Hardmode... "talk about a rock and a hard place". 🤞😬🤞
I've actually been theorycrafting the idea of rushing Gold/Platinum/Reaver Shark, getting Obsidian + Silk, and using that as the early-ish game Summoner armor before Bee armor so that you aren't stuck with Flinx Fur Coat and two random pieces of other armor to wear.

I've actually been theorycrafting the idea of rushing Gold/Platinum/Reaver Shark, getting Obsidian + Silk, and using that as the early-ish game Summoner armor before Bee armor so that you aren't stuck with Flinx Fur Coat and two random pieces of other armor to wear.
Well, you're in luck! The one hint I can give you is, choose a Crimson World, but I'll stay away from any other details.

The other option is a bit cooler IMHO; I'd also say choose a Drunken Special Seed; that'll allow you to do some normally improbable 'stuff' with Summoner Class.

• Heart and Star Statues are now twice as likely to be found in worldgen compared to other statues
Also, I think this change should be reserved for something like the Party Island Seed, or if a new "Labor of Love Seed" is added in 1.4.4, but not Vanilla Terraria, there's already enough buffs and upgrades added by the updates now, this isn't necessary; these extremely useful Statues should remain 'valuable' by scarcity.

Also, I think this change should be reserved for something like the Party Island Seed, or if a new "Labor of Love Seed" is added in 1.4.4, but not Vanilla Terraria, there's already enough buffs and upgrades added by the updates now, this isn't necessary; these extremely useful Statues should remain 'valuable' by scarcity.
I also wish they would overhaul the buff/debuff lists, like they did with enemy banners. We have SO MANY BUFFS in the game now that if you're playing Summoner with a number of positive buffs on you, and you get hit with one debuff, your summons get eaten. It's incredibly infuriating.

I also wish they would overhaul the buff/debuff lists, like they did with enemy banners. We have SO MANY BUFFS in the game now that if you're playing Summoner with a number of positive buffs on you, and you get hit with one debuff, your summons get eaten. It's incredibly infuriating.
I mean, at this point I can't entirely disagree with you. I did have strong opinions about this feature in the past, but if the Devs have no intention of stopping with the buffs to the Player Character any time soon, they might as well go on and 'fix' this problem too. 🧐 🤷‍♂️

My only worry is/ has always been the possible performance hit, which Terraria simply can't afford right now IMHO. The amount of stuttering and framedrops the game currently has is arguably "tolerable", at least right now IMHO; it'll never be enough to get you unfairly killed by Bosses or Enemies, but that can easily change if they overdo it, which I'm still concerned they don't quite know where that line is drawn...

I mean, at this point I can't entirely disagree with you. I did have strong opinions about this feature in the past, but if the Devs have no intention of stopping with the buffs to the Player Character any time soon, they might as well go on and 'fix' this problem too. 🧐 🤷‍♂️

My only worry is/ has always been the possible performance hit, which Terraria simply can't afford right now IMHO. The amount of stuttering and framedrops the game currently has is arguably "tolerable", at least right now IMHO; it'll never be enough to get you unfairly killed by Bosses or Enemies, but that can easily change if they overdo it, which I'm still concerned they don't quite know where that line is drawn...
Well, with less buff to show on screen, that'd help lighten the load a little, no? Then again, various buffs should be categorized so it can't be super abused. Regens go into the same slot, damage/crit ups into their own, defense ups... etc., etc.
I agree that the performance hit is a big deal. There's also the issue of random slow down that they publicly addressed before that they couldn't fix. I'm just bothered by needing so many buffs as certain classes on Expert+, and getting one too many can ruin you as a Summoner.

Well, with less buff to show on screen, that'd help lighten the load a little, no?
Perhaps, I'm not entirely sure what's happening under the hood that makes buffs in this game so performance demanding, aside from them being kept in 'memory' for however long they need to be kept (which is admittedly unusual for a videogame). The only issue with a possible "rework", is that most buffs are also uniquely removable in Terraria, and you'd be surprised about how many different ways that comes in clutch but... at this point I'm on the side of performance, if they need to cut features for performance sake, I'm totally in agreeance with it, again, at least at this point. 🧐 🤷‍♂️

Then again, various buffs should be categorized so it can't be super abused. Regens go into the same slot, damage/crit ups into their own, defense ups... etc., etc.
If they could somehow make Buffs and DeBuffs completely separate records, I think that'd just about do it, but I'm not sure at what cost that'd come with and I'm not super eager to find out either. In a perfect world, that means a player could have to possibility of 22 positive effect buffs, and about 10 (5) or less negative effect debuffs.

I agree that the performance hit is a big deal. There's also the issue of random slow down that they publicly addressed before that they couldn't fix. I'm just bothered by needing so many buffs as certain classes on Expert+, and getting one too many can ruin you as a Summoner.
For what it was they were trying to do, at least at first, I think it was worth the sacrifice. Yeah, it no longer runs on dang-near-anything anymore, but making Terraria a living, breathing world was a small price to pay for accessibility.

Now though, many of these changes and additions aren't really necessary (they don't really add anything of substance or value), and it's starting to dip into the pool of exclusion, where it's started to play into the 'Hunger Games', where, if you don't have access the latest x, y, z device, you can't play this game that was originally for everyone.

To top it all off, it's possible that the game bloats to the level of being "unplayable", to which everyone loses. That'd be a real shame, especially considering that something like this happening is totally preventable. 🧐 🤷‍♂️

Now though, many of these changes and additions aren't really necessary (they don't really add anything of substance or value), and it's starting to dip into the pool of exclusion, where it's started to play into the 'Hunger Games', where, if you don't have access the latest x, y, z device, you can't play this game that was originally for everyone.
Honestly, I've never really had any issues with performance outside of the bug the devs acknowledged with the game randomly slowing down. Mind you, my machine is a weak dinosaur by today's standards. It can even handle maximum spawn rates on Journey Mode without any issues. Maybe something's up with your computer?

I have never seen this "enemies sliding into cracked blocks" bug before, either in my own game or in gameplay from other people I've seen. It sounds like it might have something to do with the NPC smoothing that gets applied in multiplayer, but even when I play with other people, I've still never encountered it. This means it's likely something with either your game settings, your computer settings, or your hardware that's causing it.

I have never seen this "enemies sliding into cracked blocks" bug before, either in my own game or in gameplay from other people I've seen. It sounds like it might have something to do with the NPC smoothing that gets applied in multiplayer, but even when I play with other people, I've still never encountered it. This means it's likely something with either your game settings, your computer settings, or your hardware that's causing it.
But are they running the server differently than me? I'm hosting mine locally through the command prompt instead of through the game to allow the game to function better. It does not happen in single player at all.

Honestly, I've never really had any issues with performance outside of the bug the devs acknowledged with the game randomly slowing down. Mind you, my machine is a weak dinosaur by today's standards. It can even handle maximum spawn rates on Journey Mode without any issues. Maybe something's up with your computer?
Though I could certainly use an upgrade, my PC specs are pretty beefy at the moment, at least enough to run Cyberpunk 2077. Most of the information I have on this games performance, is due to having so many kinds of devices to test it on, so when I discuss the drawbacks to the recent bloating, it's not coming from a place of bias or unfortunate circumstance (I can afford to just buy another PC), but because I don't just consider 'myself' in these situations. 🤔 🥤

In addition, when it comes to almost any game that I play, I do a bit of 'playtesting' in addition to a 'casual run'. It's something I've been doing since 2014. Terraria was never on my list of games to worry about, not even when 1.4 was initially released. For any of my co-op buddies that were suddenly left behind in the 'tech race', I simply assisted them in upgrading; had to find out the hard way that even the new Chromebook at the time was struggling to keep up.

Also keep in mind, that many of us that were excited for the updates were only expecting 1.3.6, so there was a bit of carry-over in assuming that our current systems wouldn't really be effected by the new content, discovering that we were getting more-than-we-bargained-for was pretty delightful, so much of this was tolerable and we just did what we had to.

The difference here, is that I really play this game, and this isn't to start making distinctions between the player-base and myself, because I think it's in our best interest to be united when it matters but, I really push most my games to the absolute limit, not intentional, but because that's just how I enjoy them, it's what I love to do; so why am I concerned?

Take a look at this... [Bug Report 04/07/2021]

My main concern was that no one could give me any straight answers, and they kept trying to insinuate that the problem was likely on my end (which is wasn't). Though I'm not tech expert, I'm competent enough to troubleshoot a problem on my own when needed, and exposed that there was likely some 'memory leaks' happening with the Journey Mode's Builder Chest, or the way Texture Packs were implemented. Whatever it was, the issue was resolved, and I was forced to drop my graphical settings (which wasn't necessary in the initial release).

My point is, just because I'm not personally being effected by these continued additions, other are, like yourself. That's why I'm even speaking up, because this new 'stuff' isn't improving the game in any substantial way, it's just 'fluff' at this point and not necessary. There's no reason to compromise performance for substanceless/ insubstantial additions... at least IMHO.

Though I could certainly use an upgrade, my PC specs are pretty beefy at the moment, at least enough to run Cyberpunk 2077. Most of the information I have on this games performance, is due to having so many kinds of devices to test it on, so when I discuss the drawbacks to the recent bloating, it's not coming from a place of bias or unfortunate circumstance (I can afford to just buy another PC), but because I don't just consider 'myself' in these situations. 🤔 🥤

In addition, when it comes to almost any game that I play, I do a bit of 'playtesting' in addition to a 'casual run'. It's something I've been doing since 2014. Terraria was never on my list of games to worry about, not even when 1.4 was initially released. For any of my co-op buddies that were suddenly left behind in the 'tech race', I simply assisted them in upgrading; had to find out the hard way that even the new Chromebook at the time was struggling to keep up.

Also keep in mind, that many of us that were excited for the updates were only expecting 1.3.6, so there was a bit of carry-over in assuming that our current systems wouldn't really be effected by the new content, discovering that we were getting more-than-we-bargained-for was pretty delightful, so much of this was tolerable and we just did what we had to.

The difference here, is that I really play this game, and this isn't to start making distinctions between the player-base and myself, because I think it's in our best interest to be united when it matters but, I really push most my games to the absolute limit, not intentional, but because that's just how I enjoy them, it's what I love to do; so why am I concerned?

Take a look at this... [Bug Report 04/07/2021]

My main concern was that no one could give me any straight answers, and they kept trying to insinuate that the problem was likely on my end (which is wasn't). Though I'm not tech expert, I'm competent enough to troubleshoot a problem on my own when needed, and exposed that there was likely some 'memory leaks' happening with the Journey Mode's Builder Chest, or the way Texture Packs were implemented. Whatever it was, the issue was resolved, and I was forced to drop my graphical settings (which wasn't necessary in the initial release).

My point is, just because I'm not personally being effected by these continued additions, other are, like yourself. That's why I'm even speaking up, because this new 'stuff' isn't improving the game in any substantial way, it's just 'fluff' at this point and not necessary. There's no reason to compromise performance for substanceless/ insubstantial additions... at least IMHO.
I took a look at that video, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking of when I thought of random slow down. That is most certainly NOT your machine, but actually a by-product of the game. The Devs even openly said that they knew about this bug, but couldn't do anything about it for some reason. I get that too, and another friend of mine that I sometimes play with (who JUST got a new machine this past Christmas) also experiences it. It is not a hardware issue, I can confirm this.

@Devs Also, I think it's important to note the updated Minimum PC specs for the newest, Labor of Love Edition once it gets released. This is what's currently posted on the Steam Store (I don't think this is correct anymore).
  • REQUIRED​

• Processor: 2.0 Ghz
    • Memory: 2.5GB
    • Hard Disk Space: 200MB
    • Video Card: 128mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 2.0+
    • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater
  • RECOMMENDED​

• Processor: Dual Core 3.0 Ghz
    • Memory: 4GB
    • Video Card: 256mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 2.0+

I took a look at that video, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking of when I thought of random slow down. That is most certainly NOT your machine, but actually a by-product of the game.
Thing is, I don't think it's random at all, which is why I pushed back so hard against the initial Tech Person who tried being dismissive. There were very specific instances where the slowdown would occur, and it was pretty easy to duplicate/ reenact. Though the slowdown wouldn't occur every single time (about 80+%), it did enough to show that it was the likely cause, if not the associated cause.
  • Opening any type of storage container (severe)
  • Opening the Journey Mode Builders Chest (severe)
  • Walking into, or entering into a new zone/ Biome (minor stuttering)
  • any Location with NPCs larger than the amount of 5 [including pets] (severe, but brief)
  • any Location where there were large numbers of Armors displayed on Manikins (severe)
  • any active Blocks or Sprites with continuous animations running [Rain, Snow, Confetti Blocks] (severe)
  • any Location in which the Music changed, Music Box, Biome or Lower/ Upper Level
  • any time several or more Enemy NPCs would enter the Area especially in Hardmode (minor stuttering)

The Devs even openly said that they knew about this bug, but couldn't do anything about it for some reason. I get that too, and another friend of mine that I sometimes play with (who JUST got a new machine this past Christmas) also experiences it. It is not a hardware issue, I can confirm this.
Well, there was no way they could've convinced me that it was a hardware issue, because I'd just recently bought a plethora of newer devices to set up servers, to play Cyberpunk 2077 and to play with my friends who had "outdate" systems. It's just one of those situations where claiming anything other than fault would've been unreasonable; several devices having issues... maybe, but all of them??

This is where my concern lies, I don't want to suggest that the Devs don't know what they're doing but... there's been too many instances where they don't have the answers, but the issue(s) was caused by something they did in the most recent update(s). The part that doesn't set right with me, is that many of the changes weren't even necessary; cool, the NPC princess and her items were a nice lil' cherry on top, at the cost of performance, fine? But you know, can you gais knock it off now, I don't think she, or the Party Island Seed adds enough to the game to justify a hit to performance!

I drew the line at the "Princess update" honestly. All signs are pointing to us getting more 'stuff' that doesn't make the game any better, or more "enjoyable", it's just more 'stuff' for the sake of an objectively worse performing game. "It's not worth it, no matter how you frame the situation!" 🧐 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Also, I think it's important to note the updated Minimum PC specs for the newest, Labor of Love Edition once it gets released. This is what's currently posted on the Steam Store (I don't think this is correct anymore).
  • REQUIRED​

• Processor: 2.0 Ghz
    • Memory: 2.5GB
    • Video Card: 128mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 2.0+
  • RECOMMENDED​

• Processor: Dual Core 3.0 Ghz
    • Memory: 4GB
    • Video Card: 256mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 2.0+

Thing is, I don't think it's random at all, which is why I pushed back so hard against the initial Tech Person who tried being dismissive. There were very specific instances where the slowdown would occur, and it was pretty easy to duplicate/ reenact. Though the slowdown wouldn't occur every single time (about 80+%), it did enough to show that it was the likely cause, if not the associated cause.
  • Opening any type of storage container (severe)
  • Opening the Journey Mode Builders Chest (severe)
  • Walking into, or entering into a new zone/ Biome (minor stuttering)
  • any Location with NPCs larger than the amount of 5 [including pets] (severe, but brief)
  • any Location where there were large numbers of Armors displayed on Manikins (severe)
  • any active Blocks or Sprites with continuous animations running [Rain, Snow, Confetti Blocks] (severe)
  • any Location in which the Music changed, Music Box, Biome or Lower/ Upper Level
  • any time several or more Enemy NPCs would enter the Area especially in Hardmode (minor stuttering)

Well, there was no way they could've convinced me that it was a hardware issue, because I'd just recently bought a plethora of newer devices to set up servers, to play Cyberpunk 2077 and to play with my friends who had "outdate" systems. It's just one of those situations where claiming anything other than fault would've been unreasonable; several devices having issues... maybe, but all of them??

This is where my concern lies, I don't want to suggest that the Devs don't know what they're doing but... there's been too many instances where they don't have the answers, but the issue(s) was caused by something they did in the most recent update(s). The part that doesn't set right with me, is that many of the changes weren't even necessary; cool, the NPC princess and her items were a nice lil' cherry on top, at the cost of performance, fine? But you know, can you gais knock it off now, I don't think she, or the Party Island Seed adds enough to the game to justify a hit to performance!

I drew the line at the "Princess update" honestly. All signs are pointing to us getting more 'stuff' that doesn't make the game any better, or more "enjoyable", it's just more 'stuff' for the sake of an objectively worse performing game. "It's not worth it, no matter how you frame the situation!" 🧐 🤷‍♂️
I get the frustration, I really do. But it really ISN'T a hardware issue. It's something with the game itself. If you have newer gear that's more powerful than mine, and we're BOTH experiencing the same issue, then clearly it MUST be a game problem, no?

I get the frustration, I really do. But it really ISN'T a hardware issue. It's something with the game itself. If you have newer gear that's more powerful than mine, and we're BOTH experiencing the same issue, then clearly it MUST be a game problem, no?
Oh I know (I think I've made that pretty clear about a year and some change ago at this point), I just want to reiterate it, to the Tech Guy from last year, and others that tried to convince me it was, you know, while I'm here and all. 🙏 😇

Oh I know (I think I've made that pretty clear about a year and some change ago at this point), I just want to reiterate it, to the Tech Guy from last year, and others that tried to convince me it was, you know, while I'm here and all. 🙏 😇
In all honesty, I’m pretty sure that it’s technically both @Sprite, as Terraria demands quite a bit of processing power, and as such, you need a pretty nice rig to play it without lag. I have a pretty damn good PC (Haha that’s a lie, my PC stuffs is from like 2016 lel) and it still rarely buffers, so I’m almost 100% sure that it’s an issue with both, as again, the game does require quite a bit of processing power, so…

In all honesty, I’m pretty sure that it’s technically both @Sprite, as Terraria demands quite a bit of processing power, and as such, you need a pretty nice rig to play it without lag.
Perhaps, but the question we're asking is "why"? We're not denying that-this isn't the likely case. In short, 1.3.5 could easily run on a potato, but not 1.4, ok fine. 1.4 could run on a simple Chromebook Laptop with ease, but with 1.4.2+, the performance dipped even lower, and some of this stuff was beyond "processing power", it's just poor optimization.

To show you what I mean, try building this simple structure below... reload your world and just do what you'd typically do and see what happens (I can already tell you, you'll get a massive performance dip).
20210501010324_1a.jpg

My PC is pretty beefy, but I'm also a person who builds elaborate structures in this game, and collects all-the-things. I assure you, you're not immune, it's an optimization issue, doesn't matter how powerful your rig is, it'll choke if pushed hard enough by this game, which shouldn't happen, because "keeping records" is one of the draws of Terraria, there shouldn't be an issue where the game is telling you that you have 'too many', especially for something as simple as an Armor Rack (which is pretty old school).

I have a pretty damn good PC (Haha that’s a lie, my PC stuffs is from like 2016 lel) and it still rarely buffers, so I’m almost 100% sure that it’s an issue with both, as again, the game does require quite a bit of processing power, so…
[02-28-2022] That's the problem though, you shouldn't need a 'good' PC to play a 2D game that can be ported to a Nintendo Switch; seeing as you could just as easily play Vindictus, Dark Souls 2, or Monster Hunter: Rise (as a PC port), with little to no issues. It's not that I personally don't understand the need for the upgrade, I saw what Re-Logic was shooting for with 1.4, and it was worth the sacrifice.

However, as of late, many of these newer, unnecessary functions and features, simply aren't worth the performance hits. Put it this way, if Re-Logic had told you that you'd need to upgrade your PC, just for the Princess update or even 1.4.2.3, would you be ok with that? Keep in mind what was added before you give your answer, not to include general bug fixes, just content alone. 🧐 🤷‍♂️

My answer would be maybe, because I also saw where they were going with this addition. It wasn't totally needed, but it did feel like an addition that officially put a lid on a bulging can off "goodness", so fine... I'll take the hit. The problem is, they don't plan on stopping, and the game will ultimately suffer from it (the same way it did with the Princess update), in ways we won't be able to immediately detect on the surface.

Don't be so quick to dismiss an obvious problem, just because you're not having it... I promise, if left unchecked, you're next. 🧐 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
In all honesty, I’m pretty sure that it’s technically both @Sprite, as Terraria demands quite a bit of processing power, and as such, you need a pretty nice rig to play it without lag. I have a pretty damn good PC (Haha that’s a lie, my PC stuffs is from like 2016 lel) and it still rarely buffers, so I’m almost 100% sure that it’s an issue with both, as again, the game does require quite a bit of processing power, so…
The funny thing is, I have a fairly sizable, yet also modest base that has... Well, quite a bit of things going on. The ONLY slow down I suffer on it, is when I initially load the world. After that point, it's smooth sailing, no matter what I do.
Yet on a random new world, with very basic things built in comparison (we're talking like... cube bases level of basic), the slow down happens. It can't be hardware side, it has to be the game itself.

To clarify one thing, the change to Mannequins which allowed the inclusion of accessories and dyes (something we internally called Mannequins 2.0) DOES put increased performance load compared to the old Mannequin 1.0 system. This was inherently necessary for the new functions to be possible.

So yes, having a large room filled to the brim with tons of mannequins will have a performance impact, but these features were very often requested, and I think that it was generally a worthwhile change to make.

To clarify one thing, the change to Mannequins which allowed the inclusion of accessories and dyes (something we internally called Mannequins 2.0) DOES put increased performance load compared to the old Mannequin 1.0 system. This was inherently necessary for the new functions to be possible.

So yes, having a large room filled to the brim with tons of mannequins will have a performance impact, but these features were very often requested, and I think that it was generally a worthwhile change to make.
That's fair and makes sense to me. I haven't really noticed any performance hits in general in regards to that (but I also don't have a massive room filled with armors, vanities, or accessories anymore.) Any and all slow down I experience is initial world loading and the random frame drops from opening a chest/opening the menu that the Dev team made public note of.

I'd just like to say that crumbling brick is far and away the worst addition to the dungeon. While it's ok for the pitfalls with spikes in them, I hate the fact that they behave as false walls in other parts of the dungeon. And I can say that without experiencing enemies phasing through them.

I have a PC from 2010 or something, and I cannot play on color or white lighting at anything higher then 30 fps, and I get a fair bit of slowdown in my classic mode world, especially near my base, which isn't large at all.

(inb4 I get a warning for this) bullet hell boss fights. Especially so with The Empress at Day Time.

Why would you assume you'd get a warning for this?

Also, "fire donuts" is what I'm calling blazing wheels from here on out, that is pretty funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom