Terraria 1.4.3.3 - Steam Deck Optimization Update Release Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
To clarify one thing, the change to Mannequins which allowed the inclusion of accessories and dyes (something we internally called Mannequins 2.0) DOES put increased performance load compared to the old Mannequin 1.0 system. This was inherently necessary for the new functions to be possible.
I also want to be clear, 1.4 and many of the brilliant ideas that came with the updates were/ are amazing. I'm sure most Terrarians can agree to that, but we're obviously hitting a critical point in what this game can reasonably handle, and we're undoubtedly seeing the 'cracks'. I'm sure you're fully aware of this, being a programmer on this game, even if in a minor role.

Not to speak for anyone else, because me and other Terrarians hardly agree on most things but, "we thank you and the Re-Logic Team for all of your hard work", but, I also think it's time to stop now. The last thing I want is another "Game of Thrones" situation, where the team started running out of great ideas, so settled for "good ideas", and after running out of those, just started 'shooting from the hip'. 🧐 🤷‍♂️

rushed_ideas_02-28-2022.jpg

So yes, having a large room filled to the brim with tons of mannequins will have a performance impact, but these features were very often requested, and I think that it was generally a worthwhile change to make.
This wording is a bit "suggestive", as if it would require the player doing something unreasonable to see a drop in performance, this simply isn't the case. Just displaying a large number of items can/ will also cause this to occur, and some things that are completely out of the player Characters control, like a large number of Enemies on-screen, or odd terrain where lots of water is placed atop another liquid etc.

The Jungle Biome is notorious for meeting nearly all of these conditions, and we all know how deadly this place is pre-Hardmode and more-so during Hardmode, where drops in frames can get you killed.

• Heart and Star Statues are now twice as likely to be found in worldgen compared to other statues
@Devs Also, were you all aware that your original change(s) to how Statues spawned in the World, namely the "Functional Statues", allowed for more of them to appear naturally as 'traps'?

I was able to enjoy seeing a total of three functional Statue Traps, on three completely different World Maps (Crab Trap, Angry Bones Trap, Critter into Dart Trap), why you would ever want to change this is beyond me; I can only assume that you've all forgotten why you did certain things in-the-first-place, and are willing to trade great changes, for mediocre ones.

Last edited:
I'd just like to say that crumbling brick is far and away the worst addition to the dungeon. While it's ok for the pitfalls with spikes in them, I hate the fact that they behave as false walls in other parts of the dungeon. And I can say that without experiencing enemies phasing through them.

I have a PC from 2010 or something, and I cannot play on color or white lighting at anything higher then 30 fps, and I get a fair bit of slowdown in my classic mode world, especially near my base, which isn't large at all.

Why would you assume you'd get a warning for this?

Also, "fire donuts" is what I'm calling blazing wheels from here on out, that is pretty funny
I actually refer to them as Donuts of Doom (since they are very annoying and you can't do anything about them). Fire Donut is just the easiest way for people to understand what I'm talking about lol.
I was predicting a warning since "hell" is usually a word that is frowned upon, if not prohibited on PG-ish forums like this one, even if it is referring to a game term like bullet hell.

From what we've been told, it already seems like the entire point of the Labor of Love update is just to polish what's already in the game, without adding anything more. You don't need to tell the devs to stop bloating the game because that's what they're already doing. The game has gotten more optimized over the years even as it's become more demanding, and I'm sure that this upcoming update will include more optimizations as well. At the very least, it shouldn't get any worse.

I was predicting a warning since "hell" is usually a word that is frowned upon, if not prohibited on PG-ish forums like this one, even if it is referring to a game term like bullet hell.

Unless you're malicious with your profanity like telling someone to ":red: off", purposely trying to bypass the profanity filter, or spam it unnecessarily, you probably won't get a warning.

Slurs are off the table though

From what we've been told, it already seems like the entire point of the Labor of Love update is just to polish what's already in the game, without adding anything more. You don't need to tell the devs to stop bloating the game because that's what they're already doing.
Ok, so if this is your personal take, could you please justify any of the changes from 1.4.0.x to 1.4.1.x - 1.4.2 that justify the hit to performance? Just so you're aware, 1.4.0.x could still run decently on the older hardware, with a few hiccups here and there, but nothing major, as it was still 'playable'.

We are currently on version 1.4.3.3, getting to version 1.4.4 is an entire leap of seven (7) "adjustment-to-testing phases"; in which we know for sure are getting newer content.
  • A new Pet item
  • New reworks to Spites/ Animations
  • Likely a newer Secret World Seed
What listed here (above), leads to you believe we're not getting more 'stuff'? We always get more 'stuff' than what the spoilers show. 🧐🤷‍♂️

The game has gotten more optimized over the years even as it's become more demanding, and I'm sure that this upcoming update will include more optimizations as well. At the very least, it shouldn't get any worse.
Do you mean "streamlined", because the game is objectively less optimized. This can be proven by the simple fact that 'too many records' is now a thing in Terraria; a game created special for keeping a TON of records. If you are referring to something else, outside of game performance, which is what I'm addressing here, I'd love to know what was optimized.

World gen being improved, movement inputs, and all other similar stuff, was initial 1.4.0 content btw.

Last edited:
Latest hotfix (1.4.3.6) is up on Steam and GOG. Note that this will require an update of the dedicated server application as well - there is a link to the latest in the OP.

I also wish they would overhaul the buff/debuff lists, like they did with enemy banners. We have SO MANY BUFFS in the game now that if you're playing Summoner with a number of positive buffs on you, and you get hit with one debuff, your summons get eaten. It's incredibly infuriating.
Honestly, when does this ever happen? This almost never happens at all unless you're going out of your way to put as many potion buffs on your character as possible, and like half of the potion buffs in this game are nearly useless or aren't relevant for serious combat situations like events and boss fights.

Honestly, when does this ever happen? This almost never happens at all unless you're going out of your way to put as many potion buffs on your character as possible, and like half of the potion buffs in this game are nearly useless or aren't relevant for serious combat situations like events and boss fights.
There's a high number of them that are extremely useful, or actually necessary in higher difficulties. Summoner is the most offensive of these.
Wrath, Ironskin, Endurance, Life Force, Summoning, Bewitched, Swiftness, Regeneration, Well Fed, Bast, Campfire, Heart Lantern, Star in a Bottle/Imbued Flask, Minions. That's already 14 buffs that most Summoners will make use of later into the game. Then you factor in if your armor gives you any buffs (15), then environmental debuffs, Potion Sickness (16), boss debuffs, etc. Suddenly one rogue debuff hits you and your minions go poof, forcing you to have to resummon them all over again at the cost of losing a different buff of choice. Light Pets and Pets also take up slots for no real reason, but those can be turned off.

There's a high number of them that are extremely useful, or actually necessary in higher difficulties. Summoner is the most offensive of these.
Wrath, Ironskin, Endurance, Life Force, Summoning, Bewitched, Swiftness, Regeneration, Well Fed, Bast, Campfire, Heart Lantern, Star in a Bottle/Imbued Flask, Minions. That's already 14 buffs that most Summoners will make use of later into the game. Then you factor in if your armor gives you any buffs (15), then environmental debuffs, Potion Sickness (16), boss debuffs, etc. Suddenly one rogue debuff hits you and your minions go poof, forcing you to have to resummon them all over again at the cost of losing a different buff of choice. Light Pets and Pets also take up slots for no real reason, but those can be turned off.
Star in a Bottle is virtually useless for Summoners especially. Not every player will go get all these option buffs at once either, and in general if buff slots become an issue you can simply drop Bast and Campfire as they only give minor benefits that aren't really noticeable especially in Hardmode.

Star in a Bottle is virtually useless for Summoners especially. Not every player will go get all these option buffs at once either, and in general if buff slots become an issue you can simply drop Bast and Campfire as they only give minor benefits that aren't really noticeable especially in Hardmode.
1. Star in a Bottle used to be useful before Whips and Imbuing was introduced, as you could make very good hybrid use of certain spells like Golden Shower.
2. 5 bonus defense is nothing to sneeze at on higher difficulties, ESPECIALLY as a Summoner. 2.5/3.75/5 damage reduction is very helpful on something so squishy.
3. Stacking regen bonuses is far from minor, honestly. Just like how some people make use of bubbled honey in some arenas. Regeneration is important in fights.

1. Star in a Bottle used to be useful before Whips and Imbuing was introduced, as you could make very good hybrid use of certain spells like Golden Shower.
2. 5 bonus defense is nothing to sneeze at on higher difficulties, ESPECIALLY as a Summoner. 2.5/3.75/5 damage reduction is very helpful on something so squishy.
3. Stacking regen bonuses is far from minor, honestly. Just like how some people make use of bubbled honey in some arenas. Regeneration is important in fights.
Star in a bottle does almost nothing, that's the thing. Furthermore, since Summoner does not have to worry about Mana Sickness, it can simply drink mana potions.

When it comes to what you said about Defense, the opposite is actually true. Defense is exponential in effectiveness, and Summoner, the class with the lowest defense alongside Mage, will not remotely benefit from 5 additional defense significantly unlike Melee or even a full warding Ranger. The only time Summoner wants to focus on Defense (and still not be able to approach Tank Melee on that aspect) is with Blade Staff

Star in a bottle does almost nothing, that's the thing. Furthermore, since Summoner does not have to worry about Mana Sickness, it can simply drink mana potions.

When it comes to what you said about Defense, the opposite is actually true. Defense is exponential in effectiveness, and Summoner, the class with the lowest defense alongside Mage, will not remotely benefit from 5 additional defense significantly unlike Melee or even a full warding Ranger. The only time Summoner wants to focus on Defense (and still not be able to approach Tank Melee on that aspect) is with Blade Staff
Drinking that Mana Potion adds a debuff to your already extensive list of useful buffs. Then there's also the thing of Mana Regen and Magic Power potions... That's another two.

And you may be fine with playing Expert/Master with full Menacing gear, but I'd rather play it safe with Warding. I can't always trust myself to dodge everything and the kitchen sink when it comes to boss battles, especially in Hard Mode. While you lose out on DPS going Warding over Menacing, it also means you have a much better safety net in case you make a mistake or are put into an unfortunate situation where you need to take a hit. Not including Day Time Empress.

The point still stands. With how many items give buffs, or how many debuffs a player runs into now, the current buff system should be changed. Various buff types should be combined into a singular buff stack (akin to how banners currently work) to save some space and not give Summoners a total headache.

Drinking that Mana Potion adds a debuff to your already extensive list of useful buffs. Then there's also the thing of Mana Regen and Magic Power potions... That's another two.

And you may be fine with playing Expert/Master with full Menacing gear, but I'd rather play it safe with Warding. I can't always trust myself to dodge everything and the kitchen sink when it comes to boss battles, especially in Hard Mode. While you lose out on DPS going Warding over Menacing, it also means you have a much better safety net in case you make a mistake or are put into an unfortunate situation where you need to take a hit. Not including Day Time Empress.

The point still stands. With how many items give buffs, or how many debuffs a player runs into now, the current buff system should be changed. Various buff types should be combined into a singular buff stack (akin to how banners currently work) to save some space and not give Summoners a total headache.
True, but in general Summoner is rarely concerned with mana usage unless spamming sentries (why do that though in 1.4) or notably spamming Desert Tiger. Even then, Mana Sickness has a very short duration when you only drink one mana potion.

The point I'm making about Defense is that if you're playing Summoner and is concerned about buff slots, dropping the Bast statue is the first option that comes to mind because it simply doesn't do much for you.

True, but in general Summoner is rarely concerned with mana usage unless spamming sentries (why do that though in 1.4) or notably spamming Desert Tiger. Even then, Mana Sickness has a very short duration when you only drink one mana potion.

The point I'm making about Defense is that if you're playing Summoner and is concerned about buff slots, dropping the Bast statue is the first option that comes to mind because it simply doesn't do much for you.
Mana Sickness, while it doesn't last long, the fact that it pops up in the list can be enough to push the 20 limit and eat your summons. I never run into Mana Sickness, as I don't end up minion spamming like that, and doubly so now that Whips can take Ichor, but there's still a high number of buffs that Summoner uses that runs that list up before debuffs.

By that logic, Ironskin Potion should go too. 5 vs 8. Both low numbers.

where can i find the 1.4.3.4version`s server😭😭 steam just automatically updated the game for me but i couldn`t find the exact version of server file 😢😢

where can i find the 1.4.3.4version`s server😭😭 steam just automatically updated the game for me but i couldn`t find the exact version of server file 😢😢

The latest version of the server file is always found at the bottom of Terraria.org - and should be linked in the OP of this thread.

1646402638180.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom