Biomes & Nature Glacial Ice

What weapons should be crafted with Glacial Ice?

• No weapons are needed; it has already fulfilled the role it needs to fulfill.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
Hey, everyone. After having maintained this thread for a long time, across both forums, I have decided that if only one of my ideas makes it into Terraria, it would be this one.

A few things motivated me to make this suggestion:
  • Titanium and Adamantite make little sense as crafting ingredients for Frost Armor, and they are also a hotly contested resource.
  • There is only one ice-themed ammunition type, the Frostburn Arrow.
  • There is no special ore that requires an Adamantite or Titanium Pickaxe to mine.

So, here's my suggestion.

In the Underground Snow, once Hardmode is initiated, a new ore named
Glacial Ice.png
Glacial Ice will spawn and grow near the bottom of the biome right above where it terminates, growing similarly to the way Chlorophyte grows. It grows on normal ice, but not pink or purple. It requires 175% pickaxe power to mine, which can be supplied by Titanium/Adamantite tools but not Orichalcum/Mythril.

At an Adamantite or Titanium Forge, it can be crafted into Glacial Bars, which replace Adamantite/Titanium Bars in the crafting recipe for Frost Armor. Each bar is crafted with four ores.

Arctite Bar.png
(1.2 version)
index.php
(1.3 version)

In addition to being used in Frost Armor, Glacial Bars and Glacial Ice can be used to make a number of consumable items.

Frost Bullet.png

Frost Bullet
11 ranged damage
Bounces off surfaces an unlimited number of times until it hits an enemy. Lasts for 1 second. Kind of like a non-piercing Shadowbeam Staff. Much more viable than Meteor Shot in enclosed spaces, but does not pierce.

One Glacial Bar in combination with 150 Musket Balls makes 150 Frost Bullets.

Frost Arrow.png

Frost Arrow
14 ranged damage
Sticks into surfaces, and damages an enemy that touches it once. Lasts for 5 seconds after striking a surface. (Breaks if it hits an enemy.) Has an incredible synergy with the Daedalus Stormbow, and is extremely effective against grounded enemies.

One Glacial Bar makes 100 Frost Arrows.

index.php

Frost Dart
10 ranged damage
If it hits an enemy or surface, it explodes into a short-lived ice cloud that deals constant damage. Any solid blocks within the explosion radius are temporarily coated in damaging ice, for 10 seconds. Could potentially give Exploding Bullets a run for their money when used against the Destroyer.

One Glacial Ice makes 100 Frost Darts. This continues the trend of darts being crafted by hand.

Flask of Frost.png

Flask of Frost
All melee attacks inflict Frostburn.

To make Frost Armor more unique, wearing the full set of Frost Armor would now grant immunity to On Fire!, and also give melee and ranged attacks a chance to briefly freeze enemies in place. This chance is inversely proportional to the target's knockback resistance, and would never trigger on those immune to knockback.

Finally, Glacial Ice can be used to craft a number of weapons.

index.php
x12 =
Frostbrand.png

index.php
x12 =
Ice_Bow.png

index.php
x10 +
Flower_of_Fire.png
=
Flower_of_Frost.png

Admittedly, these weapons are a bit underwhelming in their current state, and requiring 175% pickaxe power to obtain wouldn't make things any better. Therefore, any update that included Glacial Ice would also include buffs to these three weapons.

This would force Ice Mimics to share a drop table with regular Mimics, a change that might not be too popular. I suppose I should edit the poll to see what you prefer.

As always, thank you for reading my thread, and I apologize for not fixing the broken images sooner. I did change a few things in my edit, (such as giving Frost Armor a new set bonus) so I would be very happy to see some discussion on that.

Last edited:
The flask of frost and frost bullets would make Frost Armor useless.
No like.
By that logic, Flask of Fire would make the Magma Stone useless. And wouldn't people typically want to use their one slot for Flasks on something like Ichor or Venom? Frost Armor isn't useless because it stacks with Flasks.

Anyways, on my old thread, I mentioned that instead of Frostburn, Frost Bullets could give a temporary flash freeze effect on hitting an enemy. Would you prefer that?

Well just like before support still think it should be only one mech boss however for same reasons I argued before

Like it. Snow biome should be on the same level as the Jungle. So it SHOULD have it's own Hardmode Ore.

The name could be better. Doesn't really sound much like an ore.

Every suggestion you make just shocks me! I love the idea! I'd also like some snow boss of some sorts, as the Snow Biomes feel pretty empty most of the time.

100% support this idea to a tee! This could also bring an improvement for the ice sword and snowball launcher.

I completely agree! The snow drops are very rare because people often don't mine in the ice, so...

The flask of frost and frost bullets would make Frost Armor useless.
No like.
Really? Wouldn't you prefer to have homing Frostburn Bullets? Or Explosive Frostburn Bullets? Or any ability any other bullet has with Frostburn? i know I would. Imo, there aren't enough bullets that inflict DoT debuffs. The real merit against Frost bullets is the fact that they would just be a weaker version of Venom Bullets that affect more types of enemies, but I have a solution for that.

As for a freezing effect, would be cool, but I don't know how it would be implemented. The Frozen effect that players can sustain has a block of ice that surrounds the player, which would not work for the wide variety of mob sizes.

As for a freezing effect, would be cool, but I don't know how it would be implemented. The Frozen effect that players can sustain has a block of ice that surrounds the player, which would not work for the wide variety of mob sizes.
Ohohoho! "Would be cool", you say? Knowing you, I doubt that was an accident.

That aside, I propose that the appearance of the Frozen debuff be changed: a pale blue tint to the affected entity, much like Ichor's golden tint.
That way, you don't need to fit them into a little cage. Surprised that isn't the way it was done in the first place.

Would be cool because I want to drop flying enemies from the sky with Frost Bullets. :p

Anyways, I kind of like the whole ice cube thing, but I wouldn't mind too much if enemies didn't freeze that way.

Seems alright by itself, as long as it doesn't come with such an overly huge list of different equipment items as some other suggestions. Glacier Bricks would be cool though.
Warming up the discussion about a freezing effect for NPCs, that wouldn't only be a problem on the rendering part. It would also require a frozen-check in each and every AI style's code, which would probably be a lot of work, to say the least.

It would also require a frozen-check in each and every AI style's code, which would probably be a lot of work, to say the least.
Hmm. I've seen videos of mods that pulled it off.

Anyways, what might be considered is introducing a "Frozen AI", which replaces the Frozen enemy's normal AI. This AI would just sit stationary in the same spot for as long as the debuff lasts.

Anyways, what might be considered is introducing a "Frozen AI", which replaces the Frozen enemy's normal AI. This AI would just sit stationary in the same spot for as long as the debuff lasts.
Well, of course, the game could just skip the AI and movement steps for frozen NPCs, but then we a) couldn't freeze flying enemies out of the sky, and b) a jumping enemy would be glued to the air and only continue falling after the debuff wears off, so it'd be more of a time-freeze.

Back
Top Bottom