Game Mechanics Auto summon slot.

acemon0

Terrarian
As playing a Summoner unlike the other classes, when you respond you have to set up a little longer which opens you to spawn kills. It would be nice if in the area we're the minecart, pets, light source and grappling hook is located there would be another spot that a Summoner could put his main summons so it can auto summon as they will be able to get back into the action a bit faster.

I'd say that is more of a balancing addition. Having to resummon summons is a drawback to being a summoner, and thus balances the classes advantages and disadvantages

I'd say that is more of a balancing addition. Having to resummon summons is a drawback to being a summoner, and thus balances the classes advantages and disadvantages
Except overall summoner is a very weird class, don't you say? Weird armor progression, kinda hard-to-get weapons without getting turned into a pile of flesh (haha Snapthorn), plus the fact that you'd have to manually click multiple times to resummon your entire army of minions (which in most (if not all) cases, exceed your respawn i. frames and might get you spawnkilled).

The other classes can immediately respond to threats with their main weapons, while the summoner is stuck with their whip sidearm until they somehow whip that Pirate Captain outside to death without their Imps. Being a summoner myself, it kinda sucks to resummon everything (unless they gradually reduce the use time for consecutive summoning from the normal speed to insanely fast speeds)

Except overall summoner is a very weird class, don't you say? Weird armor progression, kinda hard-to-get weapons without getting turned into a pile of flesh (haha Snapthorn), plus the fact that you'd have to manually click multiple times to resummon your entire army of minions (which in most (if not all) cases, exceed your respawn i. frames and might get you spawnkilled).

The other classes can immediately respond to threats with their main weapons, while the summoner is stuck with their whip sidearm until they somehow whip that Pirate Captain outside to death without their Imps. Being a summoner myself, it kinda sucks to resummon everything (unless they gradually reduce the use time for consecutive summoning from the normal speed to insanely fast speeds)
I'd say it's all about dodging enemies while resummoning, and also having a good whip
with a safe enough spawn area, it should be easy enough to survive long enough to get your summons out again

You have no idea how much I want this
SupportSupportSupportSupportSupport
Of course, summoners now wanting to be without weaknesses, Do you know how much I wish mages didn't need mana? But i don't complain because it is class balancing!

Summoners need to Summon their sentries, and that is both an advantage and a drawback, Good class management

Sounding like melee players at this point

As playing a Summoner unlike the other classes, when you respond you have to set up a little longer which opens you to spawn kills.
Honestly, I'm glad that Summoner Class has retained at least some of it's identity in 1.4.1+, but I've also made peace with the idea that this trend might not continue. I have my reasons, mostly due to Melee Class getting an overhaul, but that's beside the point...

...I guess the main thing I wanted to address here, was the joy of adjusting your playstyle around the kind of character you're using [immersion]. I'm sure it's a weird concept, seeing as how Summoner Class is one of the only unique styles where such a topic might ever come up, but I often assumed that "building around your character" would come naturally to most, especially considering the fact that Terraria allows the player to be super creative.

Here's some examples of what I mean:
  • As a Summoner, I often built my "safehouses" in the sky, or "underground", in a bunker fashion. This was mostly due to wanting to have my buff stations, potions, and other weaponry on-the-ready just incase I was unexpectedly killed.
  • Though I don't really do it anymore, I also enjoyed having something akin to a "Fire Station Pole/ Quick Exit" to rapidly move around inside of my homes and structures, as to counter Bosses that have the ability to go through walls and such.
  • I try to make sure to grab at least one Sentry as soon as I possibly can, as they continue to be active, attacking enemies, even after you're killed [which is one of the bigger reasons I've always advocated for them]; they heavily compensate for the drawbacks of having to re-summon Minions and refresh any lost buffs.
  • This probably doesn't count, because it's not really how progression works in Terraria, but I had access to Cannon Turrets [cannon balls] because of the Pirate NPC (after a pre-Hardmode Pirate Invasion), which is a pretty decent weapon to fend off hoards of enemies when something odd happens.
  • Lastly, one of the things I do, is have my Main Minions set to "quick draw" on my "Hot Bar", typically slots that are the easiest to access in a scramble, which are quickly replaced with any Sentries I acquire immediately afterward.
Summoner Class really makes you think about the game differently [IMHO], which I always thought was pretty cool, seeing as how in Terraria you can bring your ideas to fruition, you aren't really limited by heavy gaming mechanics like in most other titles.

It would be nice if in the area we're the minecart, pets, light source and grappling hook is located there would be another spot that a Summoner could put his main summons so it can auto summon as they will be able to get back into the action a bit faster.
This is wishful thinking on my part but... considering the fact that Finch Staff already has an "auto-summon" feature, and many of the other Summons were adjusted, but this feature wasn't added to them, leads me to suspect that they [the Devs] are aware that "auto-Minions" would greatly disrupt game balance. I'm sure if most players thought about it enough, Summoner Class having "auto-Minions" isn't really healthy for the game over-all, I could probably make a list of 50 reasons why, but I'm trying my best to stay away from those kinds of discussions. 😅🍵

Last edited:
Summoner Class really makes you think about the game differently [IMHO], which I always thought was pretty cool, seeing as how in Terraria you can bring your ideas to fruition, you aren't really limited by heavy gaming mechanics like in most other titles.

This is wishful thinking on my part but... considering the fact that Finch Staff already has an "auto-summon" feature, and many of the other Summons were adjusted, but this feature wasn't added to them, leads me to suspect that they [the Devs] are aware that "auto-Minions" would greatly disrupt game balance. I'm sure if most players thought about it enough, Summoner Class having "auto-Minions" isn't really healthy for the game over-all, I could probably make a list of 50 reasons why, but I'm trying my best to stay away from those kinds of discussions. 😅🍵
That is somewhat of a fairpoint. But if they were gonna go down that route why make a glove that gives you autoswing when some of the weapons in the game require you to keep clicking. I would be satisfied with that effect to be added to the summoning items. You can like the idea or not it's up to you. But as I see this form is asking for suggestions and after all that's all it was is just a suggestion. Effect ends up in the game awesome if not I still will play the game as a Summoner no big deal.

As playing a Summoner unlike the other classes, when you respond you have to set up a little longer which opens you to spawn kills. It would be nice if in the area we're the minecart, pets, light source and grappling hook is located there would be another spot that a Summoner could put his main summons so it can auto summon as they will be able to get back into the action a bit faster.
Would be a nice addition

That is somewhat of a fairpoint. But if they were gonna go down that route why make a glove that gives you autoswing when some of the weapons in the game require you to keep clicking.
That's kinda one of my biggest fears... it's this idea of making changes and/or adjustments to one Character Class, based on what was done with another. It's bad because you end up going down this path of convergence that begins to strip certain unique aspects of certain Classes away from them. Still, 'til this day I'm not sure why this is such a desirable path from so many Terrarians, especially when you can do so much in this game to either make up for weaknesses, or straight-up nerf some obstacles just by being clever.

At this point I just try my best to be hopeful, but I trust you get most of the features you want if you think it'll make the game better or more enjoyable. 😅💁‍♂️

I would be satisfied with that effect to be added to the summoning items. You can like the idea or not it's up to you. But as I see this form is asking for suggestions and after all that's all it was is just a suggestion. Effect ends up in the game awesome if not I still will play the game as a Summoner no big deal.
It's mostly just me being concerned about certain reoccurring patterns. For example, Sentries pretty much do exactly what many Terrarians are asking for when it comes to Summoner Class, they keep fighting even after death. Oddly enough, only a very small percentage of them actually use Sentries. If such a change was made to Minions, and there was a sudden explosion and Terrarians that use Sentries, they'd likely start asking for a nerf shortly afterward, especially with Sentries getting a huge buff in 1.4.4.

Do you know how much I wish mages didn't need mana?
The current implementation of mana is boring and stupid anyway. It's like the value essentially don't exist and is merely a more boring version of Ammo. Mana-management in Terraria basically amounts to just managing Mana Sickness.

The current implementation of mana is boring and stupid anyway. It's like the value essentially don't exist and is merely a more boring version of Ammo. Mana-management in Terraria basically amounts to just managing Mana Sickness.
I actually have to disagree here. Mana management is pretty annoying in boss fights if you forget to bring mana potions. As someone who has done one full mage run in multiplayer and is doing another on my own, I lost count of how many times I forgot the potions.

Back
Top Bottom