Blocks & Decoration [New] Totem of Regression

Fichom

Steampunker
Heyho,

another 'brilliant' idea of mine is a 'Totem of Regression'. It's a placeable furniture item that works kinda like the Enchanted Sundial, but instead of skipping to the next day, it temporarily regresses the world to a pre-hardmode state. The idea is you could use it at any point in the day, and the next day would be a 'pre-hardmode day'. The effect would last for the whole day, and only for a day. It would, just like the Sundial, have a 7 day cooldown.

On the day of regression, the world processes like NPC spawns, biome spread, fishing drops - would behave just like the pre-hardmode period. Chlorophyte wouldn't spread, and you wouldn't be able to spawn hardmode bosses. The Totem couldn't be used if there are pillars still in the world or you were fighting a boss.

Why would anyone use this? There are a couple of use cases. Maybe the mobs you are looking for aren't spawning because of the predominant hard-mode NPCs, like in hell or jungle. Maybe you want to get the pre-hardmode variants of crates for decoration.

that's actually quite a genius idea!
like thinking about trying to complete the bestiary looking for hallowwen/christmas mobs in hardmode... yeah, that's a pain XD lol

Support, I would like to be able to rush through the jungle without getting murdered by a random turtle dealing 500 damage to my mage-

I love this idea, but I do have a few questions.
How would Plantera bulbs be handled? Would they be unbreakable or be able to be broken but have no effect?
How would you obtain it? Would it be gotten through sky fishing like its counterpart, or would it have unrelated methods?

I love this idea, but I do have a few questions.
How would Plantera bulbs be handled? Would they be unbreakable or be able to be broken but have no effect?
How would you obtain it? Would it be gotten through sky fishing like its counterpart, or would it have unrelated methods?
Well one idea is that you can still spawn bosses(with items) - maybe you are having a hard time handling a boss because of all the hardmode mobs that get in your way.
And in case it would be decided this makes things too easy, you could make it so any hardmode-bosses can not be spawned during the time of regression(essentially, you could break the bulb, but nothing would happen). Though, again, in my opinion, I don't see why you would want to do this(you can spawn hardmode bosses in pre-hardmode worlds with summon items, and I tested if for Plantera Bulb with TEdit, and yep you can summon her pre-hardmode if the bulb exists).

Though I didn't give it much thought, fishing does seem to be the appropriate method of getting it. Given the Sundial is obtained from "normal" crates(Pearlwood/Mythril/Titanium, not sky fishing), maybe the totem of regression could be obtained from "special", biome crates(any). The odds of getting it could be say 2.5%(which is in between Mythril and Titanium crate drop rates for the sundial). It's also somewhat satisfying to think about the fact that the easiest way to get it(if this method would be implemented) is through lava-fishing(given you can only get the biome crate from it), where lava is associated with the underworld - opposite of the sky(given Sundials require clear, open skies IRL to function, and why you probably associated it with sky-fishing).

As a side note you can spawn hardmode bosses in pre-hardmode, if you somehow have a boss summon for one.
There could be some type of lock that, even if you try using the summon item, the item isn't consumed and the boss doesn't spawn (applied only to Hardmode bosses and onwards). Similar to using a suspicious eye on daylight or a mana star when already maxed out.
As for plantera, it could just not spawn when a bulb is killed/broken.
Frost and Pumpkin Moons would also be locked I assume
Since it isn't setting the world on preHM but instead making it behave like preHM, you can control it way better.

For the use cases you provide (and I cannot personally think of others) the 7 day cooldown seems a significant hassle; farming for specific enemies or for crates in any larger quantity will likely take more than a day, dividing farming into multiple segments with arbitrary lengths between them. I could potentially suggest a(reducing or removing the cooldown and b(to make this mechanic less overpowered to counter reduced cooldown, finding a different method to initiate the same regression concept, similarly to christmas or halloween events being activated after a moon event or maybe using a consumable item rather than infinitely reusable station.

Back
Top Bottom