Terraria State of the Game - June 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
so is this whole thing now going to be a 1.3.6 situation, due to the monster hunter crossover red wants to do?

would that really push this update into 1.5 territory? cause 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 were pretty huge... how big is labor of love getting?

i mean, a single new boss can't be enough... the don't starve crossover didn't cause it to happen, despite bringing in a seed that practically changes the game.

speaking of the boss, out of all the monsters, surprised kirin was his choice... but i've never fought one and know nothing about it, so maybe it's an interesting monster.

though... hasn't MH only ever done crossovers with other triple A games/companies?

i mean, it'd be cool... but i don't see capcom paying any attention to indies, cause the triple A industry is insanely toxic.

Last edited:
so is this whole thing now going to be a 1.3.6 situation, due to the monster hunter crossover red wants to do?

would that really push this update into 1.5 territory? cause 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 were pretty huge... how big is labor of love getting?

i mean, a single new boss can't be enough... the don't starve crossover didn't cause it to happen, despite bringing in a seed that practically changes the game.

speaking of the boss, out of all the monsters, surprised kirin was his choice... but i've never fought one and know nothing about it, so maybe it's an interesting monster.

though... hasn't MH only ever done crossovers with other triple A games/companies?

i mean, it'd be cool... but i don't see capcom paying any attention to indies, cause the triple A industry is insanely toxic.
To me, this update (1.4.4) is more important and big than 1.4 itself, just because of some QOL things and other cool things like that invisible furniture thing, the concept of "coating" instead of paints, the addition of a new liquid in the game. I recommend you to go to the Offcial Terraria wiki: Search for Upcoming features.

I'm under the belief that there's actually too many Weapons in late game, the only exception being Pure Summoner [of course], but if you take into account most of the Hybrid Classes... Summoner gets pretty crazy IHMO.
  • Landmines
  • Specialty Ammo [Nano Bullets]
  • Sniper Rifle
  • Sentries

You know, you make a valid point here. I think "overhaul" might be a bit pretentious, considering how little we know at this time. Let's go with "rework", a number of Melee Weapons are being reworked, and the evidence points to an attempt to make Melee Class more in-your-face as far as "gimmicks" go.

I personally enjoy Bone Glove in it's current state, because the room for creativity of how to use it-is still "undefined". I personally find it very effective at making previously 3-Hit Kill Weapons, 2-Hit Kill Weapons, in it's most fundamental state, add on any other passive DPS [Flasks, Buffs, Minions] and you've got yourself a 1-Hit Kill Weapon at best!
Hm for me I like the diversity of weapons as it gives you multiple options rather than using the same weapons all the time it can be fun to mix it up.

And regarding the bone glove I had more or less meant giving both options i.e. the expert accessory would stay the same and the "bone sling" as a weapon bone glove variant would be a normal drop from Skeletron.

I have to admit I usually am short on accessory slots in general which is where the accessory bone glove falls short for me.
Band of Regeneration/Sharktooth necklace(or stinger Necklace if you have already killed Queen Bee), Shield of Cthulhu, Worm Scarf/Brain of Confusion, horseshoe balloon/fledgling wings/(and or )boots, are all pretty much mandatory at that stage of the game as mobility to avoid touching cursed skulls inflicting cursed and avoiding touching spikes that inflict bleeding are the two largest priorities in the expert+ preplantera dungeon so there isn't really room for more damage accessories maybe you could swap out the first slot but the hive pack or bone helm provide competition.

To me, this update (1.4.4) is more important and big than 1.4 itself, just because of some QOL things and other cool things like that invisible furniture thing, the concept of "coating" instead of paints, the addition of a new liquid in the game. I recommend you to go to the Offcial Terraria wiki: Search for Upcoming features.

there is a new liquid?

must've missed that... if there is meant to be a place in the world for it, i imagine that will change world generation, as well.

wonder if the new liquid will have a matching liquid bomb to go along with it, since there are water/lava/honey bombs...

there is a new liquid?

must've missed that... if there is meant to be a place in the world for it, i imagine that will change world generation, as well.

wonder if the new liquid will have a matching liquid bomb to go along with it, since there are water/lava/honey bombs...
What I can say is that it is confirmed that there will be a new liquid. And think logically, if they are going to add a new liquid, this means there will be a:
-bucket with that liquid;
-block for every encounter between that liquid and the other 3;
-bomb that spreads that liquid;
-magic dropper that will place a dripping drop of that liquid;
-rocket that will spread that liquid;
-[insert name of liquid]fall block (and respective wall) for that liquid, example: waterfall, honeyfall, lavafall;
-possibly also a version of that liquid in a bottle, since water and honey in a bottle exist;
-and other things that are unique to that liquid and can only be crafted with it.

Hm for me I like the diversity of weapons as it gives you multiple options rather than using the same weapons all the time it can be fun to mix it up.
Sometimes I don't think Players realize just how BIG this game really is, if people do enough exploring, they're bound to find something interesting to use. Not sure if this has always been the case, or maybe it's just a bit more consistent now but, being able to choose how you "upgrade" is an interesting mechanic. I always fall back on "The Big Three" with this game, though there's more stuff if you consider more obscure options; here's kinda what I mean:

The Big Three (Weapons/ Armor/ Tools)
  1. Crafting (gather materials)
  2. Treasure Hunting (or direct Enemy/ Boss drops)
  3. Pay-to-Win!
You can also throw-in Weapons like "Poison Staff" and "Magic Missile" that can be transformed into a direct upgrade, but the point is that there's almost always something interesting to find if you look for it!

And regarding the bone glove I had more or less meant giving both options i.e. the expert accessory would stay the same and the "bone sling" as a weapon bone glove variant would be a normal drop from Skeletron.
I personally don't see the harm in keeping both either but it seemed, at the time, that the Devs were doing a ton of "house cleaning". I can also agree with the idea of just making an already-existing item better; just focusing on that being the rule instead of the exception. Since Skeletron is technically a mandatory Boss, having a Class Neutral drop is ideal IMHO.

I have to admit I usually am short on accessory slots in general which is where the accessory bone glove falls short for me.

Band of Regeneration/Sharktooth necklace(or stinger Necklace if you have already killed Queen Bee), Shield of Cthulhu, Worm Scarf/Brain of Confusion, horseshoe balloon/fledgling wings/(and or )boots, are all pretty much mandatory at that stage of the game as mobility to avoid touching cursed skulls inflicting cursed and avoiding touching spikes that inflict bleeding are the two largest priorities in the expert+ preplantera dungeon so there isn't really room for more damage accessories maybe you could swap out the first slot but the hive pack or bone helm provide competition.
I get it, but I'd argue that's more of a progression bias and less about what's mandatory. For example, I have a bias of Sentries being mandatory for Summoner Class, mostly because it covers so many of the Classes weaknesses (a large number of the weaknesses I oftentimes hear people complain about on the forums). However, a rather large portion of the community [at the time] disagreed, because we got a major overhaul with 1.4.1.

What I believe happened there was a form of "progression bias" on both ends. I didn't mind checking the boxes required to obtain certain tools, but a majority of other players felt that those boxes were either too inconvenient to go for, or the reward(s) didn't match the investment required [OOA, fishing, mixing-Minions].

Here's an example of the items I would personally consider "essential" pre-Harmode, right before engaging the WoF.
  • Frog Gear
  • Tsunami in a Bottle
  • Pygmy Necklace
  • Worm Scarf*
  • Fledgling Wings
  • Bone Helm [Master Mode slot]
The interesting thing is, Worm Scarf could be replaced, if I wanted to focus more on damage output and less on defense. Bone Glove would be a perfect choice here if I wanted to use Whips, but Worm Scarf could also just not be an option if I was on a Crimson World Map. Notice that a good portion of my Accessories are obtained via Fishing [which also helps with crafting Summoner Potions]. Fishing is a largely ignored portion of Terraria [or at least it used to be], so there's also a bias in progression there as well.

Though I don't agree with a good number of the changes made to progressing, I have to admit that the paths to success have shot open pretty widely. Who would've thought that progression could be possible by farming trees in this game? I know I didn't... 😅 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Sometimes I don't think Players realize just how BIG this game really is, if people do enough exploring, they're bound to find something interesting to use. Not sure if this has always been the case, or maybe it's just a bit more consistent now but, being able to choose how you "upgrade" is an interesting mechanic. I always fall back on "The Big Three" with this game, though there's more stuff if you consider more obscure options; here's kinda what I mean:

The Big Three (Weapons/ Armor/ Tools)
  1. Crafting (gather materials)
  2. Treasure Hunting (or direct Enemy/ Boss drops)
  3. Pay-to-Win!
You can also throw-in Weapons like "Poison Staff" and "Magic Missile" that can be transformed into a direct upgrade, but the point is that there's almost always something interesting to find if you look for it!

That was actually why I brought that up since that is one of the mechanisms I like the most about the game but come endgame the options drastically decline as the strongest lunar tier stuff is all fairly simple. Post Plantera Solar eclipse, The Empress of Light, Duke Fishron The Holiday Moon events, Martian Madness and Tier 3 Old Ones Army are a the late game set of optional content and they do let you get a number of interesting weapons but my complaint here is and remains that there is an under representation of many of the subtypes of weapons. For example there is no Post Plantera weapon which uses the new flail mechanics and the only Post Plantera Spear the North Pole doesn't really function all that like a spear. (Daybreak is basically a Javelin so a throwing class weapon given to melee) There is also no Dart weapon at that point of progression and it always seemed odd that Moon Lord dropped two sentries. So my "complaint" more has to do with weapon subtype diversity i.e. I wish there was a weapon options for each of the major sub class archetypes. If it were up to me I would probably add a few weapons even out the options for things like the holiday moon events:
The Pumpkin Moon has basically nothing for melee besides the situational The Horseman's Blade, A spear formed from a branch of a Mourning Wood and a Greek Fire magic item would fit pretty well giving something for each class archetype
The Frost Moon has literally nothing to offer for Summoner focused builds despite the Ice Queen and the Flocko appearing to have been a perfect choice for a Ice Queen based summon.
The Solar eclipse is also extremely melee focused too as all but two weapons obtained/crafted are melee focused but given the general horror thematics of the event This honestly doesn't bother me with the exception of Mothron and the gigantic piles of broken hero swords you will never use unless you have a lot of spare iron to craft toilets. They would be perfect for Sky Fracture and Blade staff upgrades and a ranged option based on a borderlands reference of the swordsplosion(i.e. the shot gun that fires swords) would frankly fit amazingly with Broken Hero swords. (IMO crafting materials have been underused in general post Plantera)
And there are admittedly a few more thematic things like the lack of a shock spear from Martian madness feeling like a missed opportunity with the Gigazappers or a Martian Sentry and the Martian Engineers who literally build sentries.

I personally don't see the harm in keeping both either but it seemed, at the time, that the Devs were doing a ton of "house cleaning". I can also agree with the idea of just making an already-existing item better; just focusing on that being the rule instead of the exception. Since Skeletron is technically a mandatory Boss, having a Class Neutral drop is ideal IMHO.
Yeah it definitely was strange how it was so class specific in the first place when all the other expert drops tend to be class neutral. For me it is mostly a problem with the loss of an interesting weapon even if that weapon was at a place where it didn't fit.

I do have to admit I have a bit of a second biased reason in that the item could help fill out Skeletron's standard loot pool because I hate that chance to get nothing for killing Skeletron namely because you can only do one attempt to kill per night. Among the progression mandatory bosses aren't Skeletron and the Eye of Cthulhu the only ones that don't offer something for each of the major 3 non summoner class archetypes? EOC isn't a problem given that it naturally only drops crafting materials outside of Expert (excluding the odd case of dropping unholy arrows on Corruption worlds w/ no crimson counterpart)

Basically I have a bit of OCD petpeeve about how disproportionately different classes benefit from content particularly in the case of main progression

I get it, but I'd argue that's more of a progression bias and less about what's mandatory. For example, I have a bias of Sentries being mandatory for Summoner Class, mostly because it covers so many of the Classes weaknesses (a large number of the weaknesses I oftentimes hear people complain about on the forums). However, a rather large portion of the community [at the time] disagreed, because we got a major overhaul with 1.4.1.

What I believe happened there was a form of "progression bias" on both ends. I didn't mind checking the boxes required to obtain certain tools, but a majority of other players felt that those boxes were either too inconvenient to go for, or the reward(s) didn't match the investment required [OOA, fishing, mixing-Minions].

Here's an example of the items I would personally consider "essential" pre-Harmode, right before engaging the WoF.
  • Frog Gear
  • Tsunami in a Bottle
  • Pygmy Necklace
  • Worm Scarf*
  • Fledgling Wings
  • Bone Helm [Master Mode slot]
The interesting thing is, Worm Scarf could be replaced, if I wanted to focus more on damage output and less on defense. Bone Glove would be a perfect choice here if I wanted to use Whips, but Worm Scarf could also just not be an option if I was on a Crimson World Map. Notice that a good portion of my Accessories are obtained via Fishing [which also helps with crafting Summoner Potions]. Fishing is a largely ignored portion of Terraria [or at least it used to be], so there's also a bias in progression there as well.

Though I don't agree with a good number of the changes made to progressing, I have to admit that the paths to success have shot open pretty widely. Who would've thought that progression could be possible by farming trees in this game? I know I didn't... 😅 🤷‍♂️
Interesting perspective in this context I definitely have a strong case of progression bias as a bit of a collector. I generally don't dislike fishing so its not been ignored by me at least once I get a halfway decent rod (The Evil fishing rods being my bare minimum because wood and metal just plain suck lol) I do hate the angler quest system as a source of certain informational accessories but that is another issue.

The game has certainly added a number of interesting ways to progression most of them aside from fishing are quite limited aside from profit making it all is part of the series charm making it my favorite game. As I had mentioned though I am somewhat bothered by certain inequalities in the game in terms of weapon archetypes since there are a number of weapons that feel more fun or enjoyable to use but don't get a subsequent appropriate upgrade.

Sky Fracture and the Onyx Blaster are good examples the prior being a high crit magic weapon that carries for a while but definitely Outclassed Post Plantera and even post Mechs the lack of fun to use magic weapons around the post mech point of progression is a big part of why I don't really use magic much It does get better post Plantera but frankly most of those weapons are just spam and clicks without the high reward positioning of weapons like the Sky Fracture.
Onyx blaster is another example in that it is by far the single most satisfying bullet based weapon to use in the game that dark blast has such a satisfying animation and sound that it feels powerful in a way that objectively better but mechanically boring weapons like the Megashark or SDMG can never match.
Did I mention I hate the SDMG as an overhyped boring weapon? Raw stats are so uninteresting that even basic wooden bows are more fun to use because you need to account for trajectories.

Now that I think about it that is probably my biggest gripe about many of the late game particularly Lunar weapons You just kind of spam them without accounting for interesting mechanics or effects to make them actually feel powerful.

Any news on what the 4th liquid will be? Ever since playing 1.2 on the PS3 I've wanted to see pools of poison located around the underground. Although now I suppose it would be acid-venom so as to damage more enemy types.
A few possibilities:
  • Oil: would be kind of logical/expected as it is a liquid that can be found when digging. On the other hand, not sure what use it would have in-game. If it did evaporate into flames when hit by fire projectiles, lava, or a lit torch, it could make devious traps. An alternative take on the same idea would be tar.
  • Milk. We've got honey, so why not make Terraria the proverbial land of milk and honey? You would have to expect the Cow Layer of course. That's the kind of silliness that I've come to expect from Terraria; after all the Hallow might have been replaced with a land of cookies and candies in an alternate timeline, so...
  • Blood. Yeah, the water turns red during a blood moon, and there's Crimson biome water that's hinted to be blood, so it would be kinda redundant? Or it could replace water in crimson (and perhaps also corruption and dungeon) biomes. There's definitely place for blood as a liquid in Terraria's setting, but maybe not in its mechanics.
  • Toxic goo. The classical glowy green stuff that you know is bad for you. Could haver a whole toxic biome or minibiome based upon it.

A few possibilities:
  • Oil: would be kind of logical/expected as it is a liquid that can be found when digging. On the other hand, not sure what use it would have in-game. If it did evaporate into flames when hit by fire projectiles, lava, or a lit torch, it could make devious traps. An alternative take on the same idea would be tar.
  • Milk. We've got honey, so why not make Terraria the proverbial land of milk and honey? You would have to expect the Cow Layer of course. That's the kind of silliness that I've come to expect from Terraria; after all the Hallow might have been replaced with a land of cookies and candies in an alternate timeline, so...
  • Blood. Yeah, the water turns red during a blood moon, and there's Crimson biome water that's hinted to be blood, so it would be kinda redundant? Or it could replace water in crimson (and perhaps also corruption and dungeon) biomes. There's definitely place for blood as a liquid in Terraria's setting, but maybe not in its mechanics.
  • Toxic goo. The classical glowy green stuff that you know is bad for you. Could haver a whole toxic biome or minibiome based upon it.
Good list of possibilities I think the blood one as you noted is redundant since biome specific liquid mechanics is already a thing which becomes functional in expert mode with cold water inducing the chilled debuff. Of course what could be interesting would be say Ichor as a liquid

The possibility of a cow layer and milk does sound like it could fit naturally in Terraria in fact I could even see it being chocolate milk for extra lols. Of course from a smart :red: biological perspective it would be converging into the whole crimson zone since milk is effectively modified blood fluid(plasma) used as the basis of a nutrient rich solution with important immune antibodies that mammals produce for their offspring. Of course I highly doubt Terraria will ever go into that detail. (Interestingly many other biological fluids like sweat tears and saliva are also derived biologically from blood plasma )

After all if Terraria handled liquid interactions between water and lava accurately you would get violent steam based pyroclastic explosions rather than obsidian. ;) Fun fact IRL obsidian is primarily a product of rapidly cooling Rhyolitic lavas which are the extremely silica rich and viscus lavas responsible for volcanoes like Yellowstone or Valles Caldera. To get big pieces of obsidian you need a sufficiently degassed magma that it forms effusive lava domes of which the outer layer will form obsidian if it cools quickly enough

If using the toxic goo as a proxy for acidic or caustic solutions I can see that working pretty well all 3 of those could be pretty hard to distinguish from a gameplay perspective and they are similarly nastily corrosive

Now some other interesting fluids.
  • Molten Chocolate If making a candy minibiome/biome this ought to be an easy choice which could intersect with the milk concept for chocolate milk.
  • Liquid metal because after all it is freaking badass and dangerous simultaneously. Liquid Mercury works at low temperatures and is notably toxic and molten Iron is quite terrifying because of its combination of both exceptionally low viscosity and high density allowing for the vigorous turbulent flows that we believe power Earth's magnetic field. If made a thing it would probably be in hell and maybe involving magnetic properties. I guess a Ferrofluid is also a possibility for a mechanical themed biome of sorts.
  • Molten sulfur is a good possibility particularly for hell as it is literally the liquid state of "brimstone" which is the name for the solid state of sulfur historically found in volcanoes. Notable as its liquid form is blood red while its solid form is a yellow crystal. It can also be set on fire to produce blue flames thus fitting into cool aesthetics for hell
  • Hypersaline brines are a interesting although less probable possibility as they are much denser than normal water and tend to separate out thus creating actual lakes on the sea floor. Also molten salts in general could be an alternate lava variant with a different viscosity. A related note is the fascinating type of lava natrocarbonatite from the stratovolcano Ol Doinyo Lengai
  • The weirdest and most exotic fluid I can think of that could be used is Superfluid Helium Frankly I give this next to no chance of being used but its ability to climb up walls and surfaces flowing against gravity to escape its container is frankly like nothing else we know of.

I do have to admit I have a bit of a second biased reason in that the item could help fill out Skeletron's standard loot pool because I hate that chance to get nothing for killing Skeletron namely because you can only do one attempt to kill per night.
Yeah, the WOF and Skeletron would definitely benefit from having normal summon items instead of this weird mechanic where you kill your townspeople to summon them. It would allow summoning them repeatedly, something you can do with every other boss monster. (Except Plantera, as you need to find her bulb. She could do with a summon item too.)

If it were up to me I would probably add a few weapons even out the options for things like the holiday moon events:
The Pumpkin Moon has basically nothing for melee besides the situational The Horseman's Blade, A spear formed from a branch of a Mourning Wood and a Greek Fire magic item would fit pretty well giving something for each class archetype
The Frost Moon has literally nothing to offer for Summoner focused builds despite the Ice Queen and the Flocko appearing to have been a perfect choice for a Ice Queen based summon.
The Solar eclipse is also extremely melee focused too as all but two weapons obtained/crafted are melee focused but given the general horror thematics of the event This honestly doesn't bother me with the exception of Mothron and the gigantic piles of broken hero swords you will never use unless you have a lot of spare iron to craft toilets. They would be perfect for Sky Fracture and Blade staff upgrades and a ranged option based on a borderlands reference of the swordsplosion(i.e. the shot gun that fires swords) would frankly fit amazingly with Broken Hero swords. (IMO crafting materials have been underused in general post Plantera)
And there are admittedly a few more thematic things like the lack of a shock spear from Martian madness feeling like a missed opportunity with the Gigazappers or a Martian Sentry and the Martian Engineers who literally build sentries.
Those are all good points. I'd even add a few more summon items from defeating bosses where it'd make some sort of sense, notably bosses that have minions could give the player the ability to summon their own variant of these minions.
-Eye Scream Staff: pre-hardmode counterpart to the optic staff, summons a Servant of Cthulhu to fight for you
-Clotted Scream Staff: crafted from tissue samples and lenses, summons a Creeper to fight for you
-Wormhole Staff: crafted from shadow scales and worm teeth, summons a worm sentry (kind of like a weaker, smaller Clinger: part of the body stays put in place, but the head can move to deal contact damage to enemies within its attack radius, no projectile attack)
-Bigbone's Slapping Hands: from defeating Skeletron, summon a pair of skeletal hands that attack enemies by contact. (Name here references the Bigsby's Hand line of spells from D&D)
-Dark Sigil Rod: from defeating Tier 1 Dark Mage, summons an Old One Skeleton to fight for you (with pre-hardmode stats, basically a downgraded version of the Pirate Staff)
-Dark Sigil Staff: from defeating Tier 3 Dark Mage, summons an Old One Skeleton to fight for you (with post-Golem stats, basically an upgraded version of the Pirate Staff)
-Probe Ability Staff: crafted with Souls of Might, summons a Probe to fight for you.

That was actually why I brought that up since that is one of the mechanisms I like the most about the game but come endgame the options drastically decline as the strongest lunar tier stuff is all fairly simple. Post Plantera Solar eclipse, The Empress of Light, Duke Fishron The Holiday Moon events, Martian Madness and Tier 3 Old Ones Army...There is also no Dart weapon at that point of progression and it always seemed odd that Moon Lord dropped two sentries. So my "complaint" more has to do with weapon subtype diversity i.e. I wish there was a weapon options for each of the major sub class archetypes. If it were up to me I would probably add a few weapons even out the options for things like the holiday moon events:
Once you start getting toward the endgame in videogames [and this is the case with nearly all of 'em], the path to progression starts to get pretty narrow. There's typically an "Ultimate Weapon" Players inevitably land on, if they want it, and of course the option to ignore them [best weapon(s)] is almost always on-the-table, to include some other obscure techniques with "lesser items" that make them competitive [i.e. Gravity Potions/ Mounts vs. HM Wings].

I've suspected for a while now that EoL is about post-Lunar Pillars tier, if not equal, with competitive items and gear to about said level, even if that's debatable, it's tough to argue against her having the best "Wings" in the entire game. To a certain extent, there's plenty of capable "endgame items" and Weaponry, but if you're gonna min-max, there are obvious choices. However, for context(s) sake, I personally consider the Tier 3 DD2 items to be "endgame gear" [to include the War Table getting buffed with 1.4.4]

The Pumpkin Moon has basically nothing for melee besides the situational The Horseman's Blade, A spear formed from a branch of a Mourning Wood and a Greek Fire magic item would fit pretty well giving something for each class archetype...The Frost Moon has literally nothing to offer for Summoner focused builds despite the Ice Queen and the Flocko appearing to have been a perfect choice for a Ice Queen based summon.
Bias as it may be, I find it very difficult to feel sorry for Melee Class, considering the fact that it almost-always has branching upgrading paths throughout the entire game [Night's Edge vs Excalibur for example]. Melee even has distinct playstyles, totally outside of just having a Unique Weapon.
  • Sword
  • Spear
  • Hatchet-type/ Boomerang
  • Yoyo [with an entire dedicated kit]
  • Flail

The Solar eclipse is also extremely melee focused too as all but two weapons obtained/crafted are melee focused but given the general horror thematics of the event This honestly doesn't bother me with the exception of Mothron and the gigantic piles of broken hero swords you will never use unless you have a lot of spare iron to craft toilets. They would be perfect for Sky Fracture and Blade staff upgrades and a ranged option based on a borderlands reference of the swordsplosion(i.e. the shot gun that fires swords) would frankly fit amazingly with Broken Hero swords. (IMO crafting materials have been underused in general post Plantera)...And there are admittedly a few more thematic things like the lack of a shock spear from Martian madness feeling like a missed opportunity with the Gigazappers or a Martian Sentry and the Martian Engineers who literally build sentries.
If I'm following correctly, it seems as if the Devs plan on adding even more Melee Weapons with a Monster Hunter crossover. This may or may not happen [officially], but it's rare that the Devs underdeliver on their ideas, so even if MH doesn't come to Terraria, there'll likely be some-kind-of newer Boss/ Enemy that competes with tiered, already-existing content.

You just might get your "Lighting Spear"... 😏 🤷‍♂️

Yeah it definitely was strange how it was so class specific in the first place when all the other expert drops tend to be class neutral. For me it is mostly a problem with the loss of an interesting weapon even if that weapon was at a place where it didn't fit.
Yeah, but I'm starting to understand that nearly everything we got with 1.4+ was a "package deal". Some changes were great, others were debatable, but it was undeniable that Terraria ended up being a better game for it [to include some of the tragic changes that were thankfully reverted].

Remove/ change one feature, add 20 more + improvements; I have to be a fan of that, even if it's hard...

I do have to admit I have a bit of a second biased reason in that the item could help fill out Skeletron's standard loot pool because I hate that chance to get nothing for killing Skeletron namely because you can only do one attempt to kill per night. Among the progression mandatory bosses aren't Skeletron and the Eye of Cthulhu the only ones that don't offer something for each of the major 3 non summoner class archetypes? EOC isn't a problem given that it naturally only drops crafting materials outside of Expert (excluding the odd case of dropping unholy arrows on Corruption worlds w/ no crimson counterpart)
Good question, but the only answer I can give is "retcon". Summoner was-at-first one specific thing, and then became something else due to fan request(s). I always saw it as an Easter Egg Class, one that you figure out how to navigate once you're more familiar with the game [like an unlockable character]. Most of the Classes items were hidden and obscure [some still are], but it's a bit more prevalent and visible now, while also still being obscure [e.g. Blood Moon Fishing/ Desert Biome Chest], which can get pretty confusing for a newbie.

Honestly, with the addition of Abigail [10 minute Sentries], the new War Table [10 minute Buff Stations], I think Summoner is pretty much covered, but I also felt that way in 1.4, so it holds little weight.

Basically I have a bit of OCD petpeeve about how disproportionately different classes benefit from content particularly in the case of main progression
I kinda get it but, I always felt that-that was the idea, optional content depending on which Class you were playing is exactly why each playthrough should feel different. If an event doesn't have something you want, skip-it. Each Classes adventure should take certain detours, why homogenize them by making everything wholesale?

Interesting perspective in this context I definitely have a strong case of progression bias as a bit of a collector. I generally don't dislike fishing so its not been ignored by me at least once I get a halfway decent rod (The Evil fishing rods being my bare minimum because wood and metal just plain suck lol) I do hate the angler quest system as a source of certain informational accessories but that is another issue.
Well, I do know that his gift giving mechanic is getting buffed, but I don't know if "reward item rarity" was ever mentioned. 🤔 🍵

The game has certainly added a number of interesting ways to progression most of them aside from fishing are quite limited aside from profit making it all is part of the series charm making it my favorite game. As I had mentioned though I am somewhat bothered by certain inequalities in the game in terms of weapon archetypes since there are a number of weapons that feel more fun or enjoyable to use but don't get a subsequent appropriate upgrade.
Fair enough, but I wouldn't go as-far-as suggesting that Base Building is "limited", that's actually a part of Terraria that's deeper than most of it's other features, even if 3000 newer items and features were added in the new update.

Sky Fracture and the Onyx Blaster are good examples the prior being a high crit magic weapon that carries for a while but definitely Outclassed Post Plantera and even post Mechs the lack of fun to use magic weapons around the post mech point of progression is a big part of why I don't really use magic much It does get better post Plantera but frankly most of those weapons are just spam and clicks without the high reward positioning of weapons like the Sky Fracture.
Though I don't quite agree with this take [because Apprentice Set w/ Sentries, Forbidden Set w/ Nimbus Rod, Clinger Staff], I've seen why it comes up enough to acknowledge as a potential issue. Also, I still don't see many Players discussing Blood Thorn, especially if they want to "spice things up" when it comes to point-and-click tactics, LoL!

Onyx blaster is another example in that it is by far the single most satisfying bullet based weapon to use in the game that dark blast has such a satisfying animation and sound that it feels powerful in a way that objectively better but mechanically boring weapons like the Megashark or SDMG can never match...Did I mention I hate the SDMG as an overhyped boring weapon? Raw stats are so uninteresting that even basic wooden bows are more fun to use because you need to account for trajectories.
Tactical Shotgun is nothing to sneeze at [especially when used with custom Bullets]!

Now that I think about it that is probably my biggest gripe about many of the late game particularly Lunar weapons You just kind of spam them without accounting for interesting mechanics or effects to make them actually feel powerful.
I suspect this is why Empress has the more "interesting" Weapons. You don't have to use Lunar Items [I think], but you can if you need to; as I said much earlier, I think the game can be beaten pretty reliably with just Tier 3 DD2 gear [which is pretty endgame IMHO].

Last edited:
i imagine capcom still hasn't responded back with the MH thing?

again, highly doubt they'll do it, they only seem interested in triple A crossovers.

but if red and the others are THAT intent on making it to 1.5 with the current update, and all it'd take is a new boss and some extra gear...

i mean, i feel like they could easily find another way to push it to 1.5.

crossover with another game whose creators are more open to indie crossovers... maybe something from nintendo?

don't we already have mario and link outfits?

or another indie game, maybe... dead cells? they've done crossovers with several other indies... and have some interesting bosses.

whatever it ends up being, there are surely plenty of choices, if 1.5 is one small push away, right?

i imagine capcom still hasn't responded back with the MH thing?

again, highly doubt they'll do it, they only seem interested in triple A crossovers.

but if red and the others are THAT intent on making it to 1.5 with the current update, and all it'd take is a new boss and some extra gear...

i mean, i feel like they could easily find another way to push it to 1.5.

crossover with another game whose creators are more open to indie crossovers... maybe something from nintendo?

don't we already have mario and link outfits?

or another indie game, maybe... dead cells? they've done crossovers with several other indies... and have some interesting bosses.

whatever it ends up being, there are surely plenty of choices, if 1.5 is one small push away, right?
Subnautica x Terraria :)

Subnautica x Terraria :)

might be a bit limited there, though.

a leviathan boss? in exchange for duke fishron?

though, i imagine the duke would be a bit much to handle in subnautica, and the boss-like monsters in subnautica are pretty limited in their attacks, they're not magical creatures, just big creepy beasts.

not to mention, what could be exchanged in terms of gear that would actually fit in both games?

i feel dead cells would be a good choice, it has so many interesting weapons and bosses, and i think terraria's gear and possibly a boss or even a special biome could be added in dead cells.

imagine fighting the giant in terraria, or something like that... since he's located in the cavern biome, he could be an underground boss.

maybe implement the giant's whistle as an item... which might be overpowered for terraria... but it could be used to summon a pet version of the giant, maybe?

just saying... lots of potential in that crossover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom