Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Literally the title, been trying it for hours now, after 5000hours of gameplay i decided to test the oiled debuff since it looked kinda nasty to stock up many "firey" debuffs onto an enemy and applying oiled, but after using the red riding hood armor and using the explosive trap, there's no enemy that gets the oiled debuff applied, not bosses, and from all the enemies i tested it with, for some reason "derpling" seems to be the only one to get oiled.

So I did some testing, and I'm not able to reproduce this issue.

Using the Red Riding Hood set, I was able to inflict Oiled on:
- Angry Trappers
- Lihzahrds
- Moss Hornets
- Eye of Cthulhu
- Both Twins

These were all the enemies I tried, so I'm not suggesting that it works on everything, but that I picked 5 enemies at random and they all worked without issue.

Additionally, the Oiled debuff may not behave as you expected. It provides only a single flat bonus if the target is both burning in some way and also Oiled. Stacking multiple sources of burning will deal the expected extra damage, but will NOT stack multiple Oiled bonuses.

For example, if the target is On Fire (4 DoT) and Oiled (25 DoT) it will take 29 total.

However, if the target is On Fire (4) and Oiled (25) and Frostburn (8 DoT), they will take 37 DoT (4+8+25), and do not receive an additional +25 DoT for the second burning debuff.

Some enemies are indeed immune to Oiled, though to my knowledge it is not a particularly common immunity. If you could provide more examples of enemies that are not being Oiled, I can investigate it further!

As an additional note: I decided to go check on the Oiled debuff's visibility, and I felt it was a little too subtle. I'm going to adjust it so that its a little more apparent when an enemy is Oiled, both in terms of the color difference and the drips coming off of them.

Whether or not there is actually a bug in play here, it should be easier to tell when an enemy is Oiled or not after the next hotfix.

It was nothing fancy, just a slight boost to the darkening and the dust color ;)
So I did some testing, and I'm not able to reproduce this issue.

Using the Red Riding Hood set, I was able to inflict Oiled on:
- Angry Trappers
- Lihzahrds
- Moss Hornets
- Eye of Cthulhu
- Both Twins

These were all the enemies I tried, so I'm not suggesting that it works on everything, but that I picked 5 enemies at random and they all worked without issue.

Additionally, the Oiled debuff may not behave as you expected. It provides only a single flat bonus if the target is both burning in some way and also Oiled. Stacking multiple sources of burning will deal the expected extra damage, but will NOT stack multiple Oiled bonuses.

For example, if the target is On Fire (4 DoT) and Oiled (25 DoT) it will take 29 total.

However, if the target is On Fire (4) and Oiled (25) and Frostburn (8 DoT), they will take 37 DoT (4+8+25), and do not receive an additional +25 DoT for the second burning debuff.

Some enemies are indeed immune to Oiled, though to my knowledge it is not a particularly common immunity. If you could provide more examples of enemies that are not being Oiled, I can investigate it further!
I uploaded this video thinking that you may find it useful to determine if this is correct or not, i did testings and the duke fishron did indeed take more damage from the oiled debuff, but even if only raw DoT applied for other than the first debuff that got "oiled", the damage doesn't seem to scale, and it keeps showing 10.

// I dunno if i made myself clear but, what i meant is that, while hitting the duke with On Fire plus the oiled debuff, a DoT of 10 would show up, but when hitting with On fire AND Shadowflame, it would still show up 10 instead of whatever number its supposed to show.

It's either that or the numbers show up separately and i'm having a hard time telling them apart.

// Either way, just a non important review, i wanted to test out a "debuffing class" as something like a support kind of class applying like up to 4 debuffs with on fire, shadowflame, cursed flame, frostbite and such in only one hit (possible) but what came out happening was kind of, disappointing, i mean, i expected debuffs with oiled to get alot stronger but, if its working as intended i think playing around debuffs is not a viable strategy, anyways, traps deal some good damage to non-mobile enemies (mostly non bosses)

I uploaded this video thinking that you may find it useful to determine if this is correct or not, i did testings and the duke fishron did indeed take more damage from the oiled debuff, but even if only raw DoT applied for other than the first debuff that got "oiled", the damage doesn't seem to scale, and it keeps showing 10.

// I dunno if i made myself clear but, what i meant is that, while hitting the duke with On Fire plus the oiled debuff, a DoT of 10 would show up, but when hitting with On fire AND Shadowflame, it would still show up 10 instead of whatever number its supposed to show.

This is a little complicated to explain, but the way Damage over Time stats is displayed is not always super straight forward.

As you've seen I'm sure, the game doesn't just pop up a single 1 damage number for every single point of Damage over Time; it would be a horrible mess of numbers!

Instead, what it does is display "chunks" of damage, like 4 or 10 or things like that. It depends on the DoT and how much damage the DoT inflicts.

However, this number does not necessarily show exactly how much it deals PER SECOND. Especially in a situation like this where you have a DoT being combined with Oiled. In this scenario, the game output ticks of 10 damage depending on how fast the damage added up. When you added the Oiled debuff, it would have resulted in the damage ticks appearing more quickly, but still showing "10". As you said, the number didn't go above 10, but close observation should indicate faster frequency.

This is a little complicated to explain, but the way Damage over Time stats is displayed is not always super straight forward.

As you've seen I'm sure, the game doesn't just pop up a single 1 damage number for every single point of Damage over Time; it would be a horrible mess of numbers!

Instead, what it does is display "chunks" of damage, like 4 or 10 or things like that. It depends on the DoT and how much damage the DoT inflicts.

However, this number does not necessarily show exactly how much it deals PER SECOND. Especially in a situation like this where you have a DoT being combined with Oiled. In this scenario, the game output ticks of 10 damage depending on how fast the damage added up. When you added the Oiled debuff, it would have resulted in the damage ticks appearing more quickly, but still showing "10". As you said, the number didn't go above 10, but close observation should indicate faster frequency.
Fair enough i guess, damage didn't convince me the oiled debuff was being applied, but i guess it is, thanks for your attention, wonder if there could be a tweak to how debuff numbers are displayed to be more intuitive, but i'm a programmer myself and i know how hard it is to just edit how things are displayed overall, now that everything is done and checked.

Back
Top Bottom