tModLoader Metroid Mod

Here's how I got it working for 1.4.

1) Join the Discord for this mod.
2) Go to the "#github-updates" channel.
3) Find a .tmod file they upload.
4) In Windows Explorer, go to the C:\Users\YOUR_PROFILE_HERE\Documents\My Games\Terraria\tModLoader\Mods folder. Put the .tmod file in there.
5) Start up tModLoader and enjoy.

Last edited:
Here's how I got it working for 1.4.

1) Join the Discord for this mod.
2) Go to the "#github-updates" channel.
3) Find a .tmod file they upload.
4) In Windows Explorer, go to the C:\Users\YOUR_PROFILE_HERE\Documents\My Games\Terraria\tModLoader\Mods folder. Put the .tmod file in there.
5) Start up tModLoader and enjoy.
that discord link isn't working anymore

Hey Scooterboot!

First of all I want to congratulate you on this masterpiece of a mod. I played over the past days and finished it today for the first time (started the mod on Expert Mode) and this is easily my favorite "Vanilla" (little to none Post Moonlord Content) mod so far. It was extremely enjoyable to play as "Samus" in Terraria and the implementation was fabulous.
I loved the bosses, loved that you've done with the Desert Chozo Ruins and loved the accessories you've put into the mod. And while it all sounds like massive praise (which it is lol :D), I do have some criticism as well.

I get it that Samus is supposed to be "that powerful Bounty Hunter" but some of the items are straight up not balanced and could get some "Nerfhammer" love. Disclaimer: This is MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION, nobody has to agree nor do I want to force anyone to agree. We are all allowed to have our own opinion, so let's keep this civil!

My points are the following (which are made due to the fact that this Mod should be played by itself (what I did) or with other "Vanilla" or close to "Vanilla" Mods like Thorium or Mod of Redemption with very little / not completely over tuned Post Moon Lord content (Calamity's Death Mode for example)):

Spazer: too strong for the availability pretty much right from the start (once you obtain the means to mine chozite) - dmg gain by slotting it in should be reduced by at least 15-20%
Plasma (pierce variant): also too strong simply because it has infinite pierce (I know it's the same in the Metroid games) - reduce pierce to 2-4 targets and / or reduce dmg by ~25%
All Celestial Pillar Beams (combined): probably the most nerf worthy currently. Killing Moon Lord easily first try within less than 2min is WAY too strong - reduce dmg by AT LEAST 40-50%
Diffusion Missile: the fact that you can get missiles way too frequently from mobs makes this a no brainer for the pillars. It just destroys them - reduce damage by ~50%
Flamethrower: too powerful for the amount of missiles it uses. I killed Lunatic Cultist in under 60sec - heavily increase missile usage and / or reduce dmg by at least 35-45%
Wavebuster: see above, not as powerful tho in my opinion - increase missile usage and / or reduce dmg by ~20-30%
Supernova: basically a infinite Hyper Beam with a little less damage - heavily increase missile usage and reduce damage by 40-50%
Power Bombs: very neat utility weapon for clearing screens and getting loot but a little too powerful - increase cooldown to 45sec and reduce dmg by at least 20-30% for ALL iterations
Bosses: some of the bosses like Golden Torizo have way too little health and pose no threat as a boss at all

While I do think you could pair this Mod with content giants like Calamity with power creep like this (maybe up to Devourer of Gods, after that it gets dicey due to "low defense" unless you are a No-Hit God), it makes the base game "too easy" in my opinion. I'd love to have a greater challenge with the mod itself but maybe that's just me.

Some content suggestions (if I may):

Desert Chozo Ruins: it could be 2x /3x the size imo and maybe put a little more content into it like unbreakable blocks + Morph Ball Labyrinths
Enemies: I'd be cool to see some Space Pirates, Cacatacs, Kihunters, X-Parasites etc.
Minibosses: Botwoon, Crocomire, the Adult Baby Metroid which is not killed but rather stops the fight before dying (maybe even applicable for a regular boss)
Bosses: Ridley, SA-X, Dark Samus (since we have the Phazon Theme already) Yakuza, Draygon
NPC's: an actual Chozo, Adam

Again I really enjoyed what you've done with this and I felt compelled to give you an honest review since I'm in love with Metroid for 25 years.

Last edited:
MxWkdxl.png

Discord | Mod Wiki
Manual download | Github Repository
Available on the Mod Browser

It's finally here!

This mod is currently in Open Beta. This means there is the possibility of bugs and balance issues that you may encounter while playing.
-Single Player-
* As far as we know, the only major singleplayer issues are balance related. Let is know what is too difficult or too easy, and we'll see what we can do to fix it!

-Multiplayer-
* Enemies and bosses have wonky behavior in multiplayer. They may "teleport" short distances. It's possible some bosses may be too difficult in multiplayer as a result. If this is the case, feel free to use a cheat mod or fight the boss in singleplayer.

-tModLoader 64bit-
* This mod is untested on TML64 and some users have reported crashes when using it.
Feedback is greatly appreciated, as we will be actively trying to fix each issue that crops up.
While reporting issues on this thread is fine, you may also report issues here. Simply click "New Issue", give it a title and a description. The more details the better.

Mod Contents:
A wiki is currently being worked on for this mod. In the meantime, here's a quick progression guide so you can get into the thick of it:
-Getting started-
First of all, make sure the mod is properly enabled and loaded. Then, make a new world and character.

The start is not far off from vanilla: Dig, build, explore, fight.

During your exploration, you may encounter a few new things: Chozite Ore, Chozo Statues, and Missile Expansions.
i04oHmx.png
WtwYemH.png

Note: Chozite Ore requires 50% pickaxe power to mine, though Chozo Statues do not have this requirement. Mining a statue will net you additional Chozite ore. (Personal statues can be made out of regular stone, and mining them does not give you ore.)
Every statue you encounter will have an item resting on its hands. Almost every item you find will be unusable, however, but save them for later. Same goes for Missile Expansions.

Continue playing until you're powerful enough to defeat the Eye of Cthulhu. Chozite Armor can be made out of Chozite Ore.
JqMHe1d.png

Not exactly a Power Suit... yet!

You may have noticed an odd icon on your map.
bFkBN21.jpg

Heading over to it will take you through the desert to find...
TjtJg8G.png

The Chozo Ruins!
The doors can be opened with Right Click or by firing a projectile into them - though I suggest saving your arrows if that's what you're using. You're gonna need them.
If you venture through the ruins thoroughly, you'll find:
-A magic carpet
-Morph Ball
-Missile Expansion
-Sandstorm in a Bottle
-Morph Ball Bombs
-Power Grip
If you've found any Morph Ball addons during your previous explorations, you can now use them with the Morph Ball.

You'll know you're reaching the end once you see a Save Station (it's actually just a fancy bed).
gmhU05J.png

Set your spawn point here, if you want. Or don't. Either way, you're about to fight a boss (in case it wasn't obvious).
HumThTE.png

Suspicious Chozo Statue is suspicious. This thing is larger than any other statue, and boy that Energy Tank seems tempting... But any veteran Metroid fan may know what'll happen if you approach it.
KmIIsNw.png

I hope you've brought plenty of arrows for your bow, or have plenty of magic for your magic weapon... or just plan on swinging a sword into it. Either way, it's time to fight the Torizo.

Defeating it will yield some Chozite Ore, and also Energy Shards - a much needed resource. With Energy Shards and Chozite Bars, you can craft the Power Beam! Pew pew!
75FXH7K.gif

But also remember how the Torizo was holding an Energy Tank? With these Energy Shards, you can craft Energy Tanks. However, to do so, you will also need Shadow Scales (if on a Corruption world) or Tissue Samples (if on a Crimson world). Which means you need to fight a vanilla boss: Either Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu.

With Energy Shards and Shadow Scales/Tissue Samples in hand, crafting Energy Tanks is now doable. You may now use Energy Tanks to convert your Chozite Armor into...
pCtpgaz.png

The Power Suit! -Insert Samus intro fanfare here-

The guide ends here. I will write more in time, but for now, explore and find out things on your own for awhile. I hope the design of this mod is intuitive enough so that you won't need a guide too much to figure out what to do next. If it isn't, feel free to submit suggestions on how to improve it. Also if you're stuck on what to do next, simply ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.
You can also use the mod Boss Checklist to help you figure out what to do next - this mod is fully compatible with it!
Q: How do I fight the Omega Pirate/access Phazon content/cause the Phazon meteor to spawn?
A: Defeat Plantera on hardmode, and you should see a chat message stating a Phazon meteor has landed.
If it has not landed, this could be because of 1 of 2 reasons:
1- You have a sky bridge going from one end of the map to the other, in which case breaking out a section of the bridge should allow it to spawn.
2- A rare bug has occurred wherein a meteor never spawns and never will. Please report anything you can if this happens, as I have no idea what causes it and it's hard to replicate.
After it has successfully landed, you'll find it on the surface. It'll look like a normal meteorite, except it'll consist of Phazon ore. And in the center of the meteor is a red Phazon core. You'll need to craft the Nova Laser Drill tool in order to mine the ore and the core. Mining the core does not yield any items, and instead, it'll spread Phazon through the world, similar to destroying a Demon Altar and having a hardmode ore spawn through the world.
Phazon ore can be turned into Phazon Bars via the Nova Worktable, and Phazon Bars can be used to craft the Omega Pirate's summon item.

Q: How do I get the Supercooled Plasma Core?
A: It is dropped from the Ice Queen mini-boss that spawns during the Frost Moon event. (I'm planning on changing this in the future so that it's more easily accessible.)

Q: Do you plan to add <insert Metroid item/enemy/boss/thing here>?
A: I plan to add as much Metroid content I can cram into this mod, though be aware that it's all quite time consuming, so please be patient.

Q: What about Fusion content? (Fusion Suit/X Parasites/SA-X)
A: This is a little iffy. I do plan to add Fusion content, but as of yet, I'm not sure how. There's a lot that goes into Fusion as a whole, and it's difficult to implement it in a faithful way.
X-Parasites spawning from enemies, for example, would be a huge gameplay change, and I want to make sure players who don't want them can easily opt-out of having them. Yet at the same time, I want to make sure they still pose the threat that they are. It gets messy if I don't make sure the details are worked out properly in a way that makes sense.

Boss Checklist - Fully compatible!
Terraria Overhaul - Expect issues

Not many other mods have been tested, though most of them should be compatible. Let us know of any and all mod compatibilities and we'll see if we can fix them - if not, we'll list the incompatibility here.

Credits:
I'm no longer working alone on this. These are the wonderful peeps who helped make this mod possible:
-Scooterboot - that's me!
-Terratroid
-Joost
-Jefftheswift
-Eldrazi
-Begoliah
Special thanks to all these other people who've helped here and there:
-The tModLoader team for making tModLoader
-The tAPI Team because this mod was once for tAPI
-Surfpup + other devs for making tConfig back in the day, which is where this mod started.
-Everyone who has helped me on the forums (can't remember all of the names)
-Yoraiz0r
-W1K
-Empio
-Omnir
-Angie the Demoness
-Zero-Exodus
-Skiphs
-RayJT
-mccad00
-Skyre Ventes
-And others that I've forgotten the names of...

A big thank you to the awesome community here and all of the kind words. This mod would have died long ago if there weren't so many caring and kind people here.
Terraria and Metroid are owned by Re-Logic and Nintendo respectively. I made this mod for entertainment and educational purposes only.

Old tAPI version can be found here if any of you are still interested in playing it.
Are there any plans for a 1.4 tmodloader release with more items?

also will there possibly more metroid bosses (and items) as well?
i'd love to see ridley, or a spot where you can summon sporespawn or something for more loot, maybe crocomire in hell or the ice golem from prime in the snow biome idk-
also- is there a possibility to have metroid themed structures generate underground? like doors and little boss dungeons?

and last, are there any post moon lord plans for the mod?

Are there any plans for a 1.4 tmodloader release with more items?

also will there possibly more metroid bosses (and items) as well?
i'd love to see ridley, or a spot where you can summon sporespawn or something for more loot, maybe crocomire in hell or the ice golem from prime in the snow biome idk-
also- is there a possibility to have metroid themed structures generate underground? like doors and little boss dungeons?

and last, are there any post moon lord plans for the mod?
I'll try to answer some of these myself.

You can find their updates for 1.4 tmod on their discord right now. It's constantly being updated so it's definitely in the works.

Yes.
Yes eventually all bosses or most I believe.
Eventually we'll have dungeons and stuff. These may also be delegated to subworld stuff too.

No idea but maaaaayyyyybbbbe?

You're better off joining their discord which has a roadmap of updates and more.

I'll try to answer some of these myself.

You can find their updates for 1.4 tmod on their discord right now. It's constantly being updated so it's definitely in the works.

Yes.
Yes eventually all bosses or most I believe.
Eventually we'll have dungeons and stuff. These may also be delegated to subworld stuff too.

No idea but maaaaayyyyybbbbe?

You're better off joining their discord which has a roadmap of updates and more.
On the note of Dungens and bosses, I have a stupid amount of brainstorming I’ve done to throw at you! Sorry I’m advance for the wall of text, I just wanna throw in my text cents!
Metroid Mod - Hive Biome Request

Heya there! Been enjoying the mod thoroughly for many, many months now Any qualms about balance or progression are irrelevant, if not actively welcome! Being able to take Metroid Gear and wreck face against even CalamityMod-level threats is something special! There’s one thing, though, that I wish the mod would emphasize more: The Metroids, themselves.

I like that you can find them, but they seem incidental at best? Finding them in the corruption and dungeon is fine, but the second you get the ice beam, they become completely irrelevant and underwhelming. I know there’s been talk of adding “all the bosses”, so I have to ask if that includes the Metroid Evolutionary Line from Metroid 2? If not, here’s my pitch:

A Hive Biome/Structure. Program it to appear on the opposite side of the map from the Dungeon, and maybe make the blocks it’s made of unbreakable without a Post-Moonlord drill. I’d place a Red Missile door to temporarily limit access, and then…the fun begins. Inside, you’d exclusively have Metroids and their different forms show up, perhaps having only certain forms show up at different depths in the same style as the Abyss from CalamityMod, all of them nearly immune to beam weapons. And within the Hive biome, it’d be kinda nice if you could find Metroid Larva Clones that aren’t instantly freezable and actually did reasonable damage! I’m basically pondering a biome full of nothing but mini bosses and high-power, tanky enemies to act as an endurance run/properly challenge you for some optional rewards if you manage to survive all the way to the bottom to fight the Queen at the end!

I know this sounds like a lot, and I know development is probably focused on lots of other things (1.4 compatibility and other main bosses like Ridley, to name just a few), but the Metroid Franchise itself focuses so little on its namesake that I’d love to see them get a worthwhile spotlight in here! Imagine swarms of powerful enemies coming after you while you’re being forced to conserve resources and actually use all the insane power you gain during a playthrough to have a chance of getting Al the way to the end! Maybe you could earn a Baby Metroid Pet/overpowered Gigantic Larva Summon by beating the Queen? Perhaps even add a chance for the larvas to drop an event item for Space Pirate Invasions/an early Ridley boss summon method?

…I’m gonna cut myself off here since this is a veritable wall of text, and I’m effectively brainstorming for the mere potential of things that would probably take months or years to implement! 😅 I just have lots of ideas and hope at least one of them sticks/inspires the team/followers of the mod!

How many rockets are in this mod? Are there only 50 expansions per map or are there more?
i don't know the exact number, but i can tell you there are TONS of hidden missle expantions all over. you need like 50 for journey mode learning, but there are many many more

Back
Top Bottom