Weapons & Equip Equipment Slot Upgrades (Like the Minecart Upgrade Kit)

JamesDNaux

Terrarian
Untitled.png

Equipment Slot Upgrades
The Minecart Upgrade Kit effectively gave us vanity minecarts, so why not do the same for other equipment slots?
All of these would be obtained at the appropriate points in progression.

Traveler's Safe.png

Traveler's Safe
[Drops instead of an Eye Bone, but drops one when used]

Lets you access the safe via right clicking any pet, like Chester (changed from piggy bank to safe for greater utility). Can be toggled off

All Seeing Eye.png

All Seeing Eye
[Drops instead of the Suspicious Looking Tentacle, but drops one when used]

Gives all light pets the same brightness as the Suspicious Looking Eye, also speeds up slower light pets. Can be toggled off

Hyperdrive Engine.png

Hyperdrive Engine
[Crafted with Black Sail (drops from Flying Dutchman), Magic Drive (drops from Mourning Wood), and Engine Parts (drops from Martian Saucer)]

Gives all mounts infinite flight time, and a higher max speed. Can be toggled off

Long Shot.png

Longshot
[Crafted with Luminite Bars, Chain, and a Hook]

Gives all hooks the same reach and velocity as the Lunar Hook. Can be toggled off

Tangentially related, but loadouts should also have unique equipment slots for further customization options.​

Last edited:
I do agree there could definitely be more upgrades besides just the minecart! A few thoughts:
  1. Traveler's Safe: I was about to say keep it the Piggy Bank because afaik people don't tend to use safes, but then I remembered the Money Trough exists. Maybe make that a permanent upgrade as well, where it always has a Piggy Bank pet active! Likely keep it at Deerclops, just it gives you the Eye Bone when you use it for the first time.
  2. All Seeing Eye: Agreed, some light pets just suck. Looking at you, Crimson Heart. I say make it a rare drop from the Twins, or make it craftable from Souls of Sight and Light, as well as another material.
  3. Hyperdrive Engine: So a few things. For starters, most likely gonna be Martian Madness tier. Next, it raises a bunch of questions regarding grounded and aerial mounts. What's the difference? What about mounts that can go faster? What about mounts with different falling speeds? What about the difference in power levels (unicorn vs basilisk?)? What of things like the Cosmic Car Key or Witch's Broom? What about mounts with other special properties? This one is likely the most involved and needs to have a lot of things considered.
  4. Longshot: I would say if it's a pre-hardmode drop, a World Evil Drop or crafted with World Evil Drops, and if it's a Hardmode Drop, a Goblin Tinkerer sale after defeating a Mech Boss.

I do agree there could definitely be more upgrades besides just the minecart! A few thoughts:
  1. Traveler's Safe: I was about to say keep it the Piggy Bank because afaik people don't tend to use safes, but then I remembered the Money Trough exists. Maybe make that a permanent upgrade as well, where it always has a Piggy Bank pet active! Likely keep it at Deerclops, just it gives you the Eye Bone when you use it for the first time.
  2. All Seeing Eye: Agreed, some light pets just suck. Looking at you, Crimson Heart. I say make it a rare drop from the Twins, or make it craftable from Souls of Sight and Light, as well as another material.
  3. Hyperdrive Engine: So a few things. For starters, most likely gonna be Martian Madness tier. Next, it raises a bunch of questions regarding grounded and aerial mounts. What's the difference? What about mounts that can go faster? What about mounts with different falling speeds? What about the difference in power levels (unicorn vs basilisk?)? What of things like the Cosmic Car Key or Witch's Broom? What about mounts with other special properties? This one is likely the most involved and needs to have a lot of things considered.
  4. Longshot: I would say if it's a pre-hardmode drop, a World Evil Drop or crafted with World Evil Drops, and if it's a Hardmode Drop, a Goblin Tinkerer sale after defeating a Mech Boss.
um, all of his ideas are WAY too OP. Even for endgame.

um, all of his ideas are WAY too OP. Even for endgame.
His ideas are good if you tweak them a bit to be balanced. The pet storage is a good idea and it's not the first time I've seen it pointed out that Chester pretty much invalidates all vanity pets. The light pet upgrade basically gives all of them the stats of the fairy princess, though I'd drop the treasure sensing because it can be annoying when you're in your base or when you don't care about all the copper and silver around you. If you had a way to give any mount the stats of the witch's broom, you could have vanity mounts. Might cause issues with non-flying mounts. As for the hook upgrade, just give everything the stats of the lunar hook while it's active.
Regarding how to obtain them, the most obvious thing that comes to mind is using the item that upgrade is based on as a crafting ingredient or shimmer material. If you've obtained Chester, a fairy princess, a witch's broom or a lunar hook, you obviously already have access to the stats of those items, so there would be no balance issues with having gear that functions the same but with a different visual. If you wanted to expand the system you could even allow giving one gear piece the stats of any other, such as giving the UFO the stats of the cute fishron. Though that's probably quite a bit of work and I can already see a number of potential issues, so I don't expect it to happen.

I don't see what exactly is broken about any of these, I just looked at the best stats of each respective equipment type on the wiki and applied them the best possible way, like the minecart kit.

All minecarts become the fastest and get the laser attack, so all mounts become the fastest and do damage. The hook stats are just the Lunar Hook stats rounded up, the light pet one just turns all light pets into suspicious looking eyes, and I made the pets open up the safe because yeah, money trough.

It'd be impossible to do anything other than change the stats since there's plenty of unique equipment. Hooks have 1-8... hooks, some don't reel you in, one has a teleport effect, so the best upgrade would just be the speed and length the hooks shoot out, which should be a plausible change and not broken at all if you already have the lunar hook.

Light pets all being the brightest and making treasure sparkle likewise wouldn't be broken once you have a light pet that does this. I guess the sparkle could be annoying but again, I just made it so that the light pets would just function as the best available one.

For the mounts it's just old Black Spot stats, which was only nerfed because of its place in progression, those stats should be fine if you got it in late hard mode. If the problem is making non-flying mounts fly, then the infinite flight time could only apply to flying mounts.

It's not like any of these would just be something you could find lying around, they'd be boss drops like the minecart kit, I guess I should've specified that.

Could make it even more like the kit and have each one be crafted out of unique drops... Pirate Ship drops a Black Sail, Mourning Wood drops a Magic Drive, Martian Saucer drops Engine Parts, and you combine them together at an Ancient Manipulator to get the Hyperdrive Engine. Moonlord drops Lunar Chain, combine it with a Hook for the Longshot, etc.

Last edited:
So they are all master mode exclusive obviously? I guess that's where op things like this are added.
I would say make them stay in the same mode as their corresponding items should be enough. Like how mechanical cart and minecart upgrade kit are both expert mode.

I don't know if any of these ideas are viable at the current state of the game due to the tremendous variety of functions that these items can have. For example, there aren't just flying and running mounts, there are swimming mounts, attacking mounts, mounts for walking slowly... I could even argue that the minecart upgrade thing was a bad idea because there are still a few carts with actual benefits instead of just being cosmetic variants, but they also added the carts that fart so I'm fine with it.

I think the only one that would work well is the Traveller's Safe, but I could also argue that it's better to remove Chester.

An alternative way to go about this is to add vanity slots for the slots in question.

Wait the minecart thing is NOT master mode exclusive??
No, it's just the old Mechanical Cart but with a twist. It even gives you the old Mechanical Cart when you use it.

I would've much preferred vanity equipment slots but the devs decided to go about it like this. I guess vanity equipment also has its own issues regarding animations and such.

I don't know if any of these ideas are viable at the current state of the game due to the tremendous variety of functions that these items can have. For example, there aren't just flying and running mounts, there are swimming mounts, attacking mounts, mounts for walking slowly...
This is why I only edited stats, instead of say, just making all hooks complete copies of the lunar hook. That'd actually nerf a hook like the Web Slinger down from eight hooks, so instead, it and other hooks now just have the longer reach and higher speed. Just like the Web Slinger there are still the other hooks to think about, like the Anti-Gravity Hook, Static Hook, and Hook of Dissonance. These would still function exactly the same, just with greater reach/speed, just stat boosts without changing the hook itself.

For mounts in particular, a speed boost could generically be applied across land, sea, or air mounts. If you want a mount to go slow for some reason... well just like with the minecarts, there'd still be the toggle for turning the effects off. Again, it's all just stat boosts without changing the base function of the equipment. If a uniform speed boost across mounts is too broken or complicated to program then maybe just a percentage boost to speed? All I know is I want something like the old Black Spot, and I want it to look like the UFO mount.

I don't see what exactly is broken about any of these, I just looked at the best stats of each respective equipment type on the wiki and applied them the best possible way, like the minecart kit.
Well, that's what makes them broken. You took all or most of the best stats from various classes of gear, but not the drawbacks. The result is that the upgrade is a big upgrade over any existing gear, unlike minecart upgrade kit which gives all minecarts the stats of the old mechanical cart. I'm pretty sure that they decided that the old black spot was too good, which is why it was nerfed into uselessness. The soaring insignia might have been created to give players fast flight but at the cost of two accessory slots. You can go very fast with it if used with wings that can hover, especially the celestial starboard.

Well, that's what makes them broken. You took all or most of the best stats from various classes of gear, but not the drawbacks. The result is that the upgrade is a big upgrade over any existing gear, unlike minecart upgrade kit which gives all minecarts the stats of the old mechanical cart. I'm pretty sure that they decided that the old black spot was too good, which is why it was nerfed into uselessness. The soaring insignia might have been created to give players fast flight but at the cost of two accessory slots. You can go very fast with it if used with wings that can hover, especially the celestial starboard.
I mean, the Minecart Upgrade Kit has the upside of the highest cart in the game, but it doesn't remove the benefits other minecarts have, like the Demonic Minecart's Lava Immunity or Digging Molecart's Digging. It just gives them a higher top speed and lasers. Not to mention most minecarts, barring the Digging Molecart and basic Wooden Minecart have basically the exact same speed.

That's what I'm pretty sure they were going for, base increase in stats while not removing what makes them special. The Static Hook still keeps you in place, the Web Slinger has the highest number of hooks, the HoD has the teleportation. Light Pets still have their special movement gimmicks and colors (Crimson Heart still bounces around and has the red tint). Mounts will likely still function the same, though I understand the worries with the flying mounts. Chester is just straight up the objectively best pet in the game right now, being a permanent Money Trough on hand without sacrificing an inventory slot, so making it a Safe for ALL pets doesn't invalidate the Money Trough, and lets other pets be used besides Chester.

Like Cowser said above, the Mechanical Minecart is the best minecart, which is why people wanted vanity minecarts in the first place, so they could have the best stats but look good while doing it. The devs decided to do this by making a togglable buff for all minecarts instead of just adding vanity slots for equipment, but this leaves out other equipment. What if I want to use the Christmas Hook because I'm feeling festive but I want the speed and reach of the Lunar Hook? There's nothing broken about literally just having a toggle to give all equipment the same stats as the already existing best equipment (at the point in progression you get said equipment), it's not like I'm suggesting stats higher than that.

TL;DR this suggestion is just for vanity equipment other than minecarts but to fit with how the devs decided to handle the minecarts. If they'd even see this suggestion and actually decided they liked the idea enough to implement it, they'd obviously make the stats whatever is best for balance purposes.

Like Cowser said above, the Mechanical Minecart is the best minecart
The mechanical cart already existed, so there was no power creep with the addition of the upgrade kit. All it did was give all carts the stats of an already existing cart, minor stuff like temporary lava immunity aside. What you originally suggested was to give all gear the combined best stats of all other items in the category, or even higher in some cases. The result would have been that you ended up with gear much better than what is currently available in the game.

What if I want to use the Christmas Hook because I'm feeling festive but I want the speed and reach of the Lunar Hook? There's nothing broken about literally just having a toggle to give all equipment the same stats as the already existing best equipment (at the point in progression you get said equipment), it's not like I'm suggesting stats higher than that.
That is the exact same idea I suggested a few posts above. Since you mentioned the hooks, it makes a good example of why your original ideas would have been stronger than anything currently in the game. Your longshot idea has a reach of 40 and a velocity of 20. However, the longest and fastest hook in the game (according to the wiki) is the lunar hook, at 34.375 reach and 18 velocity. Your idea would have made all hooks both longer and faster than any currently existing hook, which is why I proposed that it should instead give every hook the stats of the lunar hook:
As for the hook upgrade, just give everything the stats of the lunar hook while it's active.
Another example is that your hyperdrive engine idea gives all mounts a speed of 80, the same as a wet cute fishron but without the significant hassle of having to dump water on it every six seconds. That's why I suggested either giving all items the stats of the broom (the best non-specialized flying mount) or swapping any mount's stats for those of another mount.

The mechanical cart already existed, so there was no power creep with the addition of the upgrade kit. All it did was give all carts the stats of an already existing cart, minor stuff like temporary lava immunity aside. What you originally suggested was to give all gear the combined best stats of all other items in the category, or even higher in some cases. The result would have been that you ended up with gear much better than what is currently available in the game.

That is the exact same idea I suggested a few posts above. Since you mentioned the hooks, it makes a good example of why your original ideas would have been stronger than anything currently in the game. Your longshot idea has a reach of 40 and a velocity of 20. However, the longest and fastest hook in the game (according to the wiki) is the lunar hook, at 34.375 reach and 18 velocity. Your idea would have made all hooks both longer and faster than any currently existing hook, which is why I proposed that it should instead give every hook the stats of the lunar hook:

Another example is that your hyperdrive engine idea gives all mounts a speed of 80, the same as a wet cute fishron but without the significant hassle of having to dump water on it every six seconds. That's why I suggested either giving all items the stats of the broom (the best non-specialized flying mount) or swapping any mount's stats for those of another mount.
Oh, I didn't bother to check the number and just assume that they are the same as the best item in its catergory. In that case I agree that some of those are OP.

What you originally suggested was to give all gear the combined best stats of all other items in the category, or even higher in some cases. The result would have been that you ended up with gear much better than what is currently available in the game.
Repeating myself since it was apparently missed.
If they'd even see this suggestion and actually decided they liked the idea enough to implement it, they'd obviously make the stats whatever is best for balance purposes.
The suggestion is literally just for minecart upgrade kit equivalents for other equipment. The focus is not on the numbers.

I've updated the OP to remove any numbers and to specify the points in progression these should be at to hopefully mitigate this thread derailing.

Last edited:
Repeating myself since it was apparently missed.
You posted that after people objected to the numbers you originally suggested, and I posted a suggestion regarding how to better balance it. You said:
it's not like I'm suggesting stats higher than that.
when that was exactly what you were doing, so I pointed it out to explain why there were objections to your original numbers.

I've updated the OP to remove any numbers and to specify the points in progression these should be at to hopefully mitigate this thread derailing.
I'm not entirely sure what you've even been arguing about because we both agree that it's a nice idea. I suggested tweaks to make it more balanced, which you seem to agree with.

Back
Top Bottom