Chlorophyte or Hallowed

Hallowed armour is better. The set bonus is arguably broken, providing a massive increase in survivability thanks to its predictable dodge. Chlorophyte armour isn't bad per se, but Chlorophyte itself is a resource in high demand, needed to make higher tiers of armour and ammo. In contrast, a set of Hallowed armour is effectively free. Besides that, it's got comparable offensive boosts and a set bonus that is good, but nowhere near Hallowed.

Armor: Hallowed > Chlorophyte. Chlorophyte Armor is very underrated imo, however you’ll inevitably be using the ore for a lot of things and might not have the 54 bars to spare, and as tenthousandhoops said Hallowed has incredible protection.

Weapons: Chlorophyte > Hallowed. In each case that Chlorophyte and Hallowed both have the same type of weapons, Chlorophyte is always better. The Venom Staff is also a decent weapon against Plantera.

Tools: Hallowed > Chlorophyte. Chlorophyte tools are technically stronger, but please don’t waste your resources on a pickaxe that you’d only use to mine more of said resource.

Hallowed is both stronger and basically given to you for free. You don't have to do any mining at all to obtain it, unlike the dozens of chlorophyte bars needed for armor.

clorophyte, its the better armor because its a higher level and looks cooler, thats like asking which is better

gold or crimson armor,
anyone who choses hollowed over the superior armor are just crazy lmao.

clorophyte, its the better armor because its a higher level and looks cooler, thats like asking which is better

gold or crimson armor,
anyone who choses hollowed over the superior armor are just crazy lmao.

gold or crimson being a comparison to hallowed or chlorophyte is an extremely unfair comparison, you might as well compare wooden armor to valhalla knight armor at that point.

higher level doesn't always mean objectively better. back in the pre-1.3 console days, i would use dragon armor over beetle armor because dragon armor provided a higher static boost then offensive beetle could reliably give outside of events like the solar eclipse or pumpkin/frost moon, and i never actually fought anything dangerous enough to warrant sacrificing power for survivability. i also disagree that chlorophyte looks better then hallowed, but that's a pretty narrow lead in my opinion.

both chlorophyte and hallowed armor were buffed in 1.4.4
hallowed armor can be used to dodge attacks, which might just save your life.
chlorphyte armor has a green beam set bonus, but it isn't as useful as hallowed armor.
Although the hallowed armor has less defense, it is compensated by its set bonus, making it more defensive than chlorophyte armor.
Chlorophyte armor has a set bonus that only works well on weak enemies.
Hallowed armor requires fighting bosses, might be a little harder to grind. Chlorophyte armor uses a material that is high on demand
The hallowed armor is probably the better option if you are fighting bosses, chlorophyte armor for weaker enemies. Unfortunately, you need chlorophyte to make turtle, shroomite, and spectre armor as well, so hallowed armor is easier and slightly better.

The hallowed armor is probably the better option if you are fighting bosses, chlorophyte armor for weaker enemies.
This is how like to play. I find the Chlorophyte’s Crystal Leaf set bonus pretty useful when exploring and fighting normal enemies (especially annoying Jungle enemies like Moss Hornets and Turtles) and then when I fight Plantera I use Hallowed Armor for the dodge.

Unfortunately, you need chlorophyte to make turtle, shroomite, and spectre armor as well
Thanks to Shimmers ability to de-craft this isn’t a problem anymore! You can now make Chlorophyte Armor, use it until you get the materials or crafting station you need for the upgrade, and then de-craft the Chlorophyte Armor into bars for whatever Armor you need.

Last edited:
Thanks to Shimmers ability to de-craft this isn’t a problem anymore! You can now make Chlorophyte Armor, use it until you get the materials or crafting station you need for the upgrade, and then de-craft the Chlorophyte Armor into bars for whatever Armor you need
To be quite honest, I've never understood this problem at all. Chlorophyte has alwas been an  exceedingly abundant resource in my playthroughs. Whenever I go mining for it I take a slice of cake, mining potion, spelunker potion, and ancient chisel and come back home with thousands of ore, enough to make each set several times over.

Last edited:
cholo seems to be for offencive and hallowed is for defensive i like to carry both with me

Incorrect; the invincibility is proced by damaging an enemy, which is  better
me with some crazy farm that only works with choro armor that produces lots of drops its a simple build trust me also both armor sets have there strengths and weaknesses

me with some crazy farm that only works with choro armor that produces lots of drops its a simple build trust me also both armor sets have there strengths and weaknesses
what weaknesses does hallowed armor have again? It was always known for having decent offensive stats and they were not reduced when the armor was given Holy Protection. Hallowed is kinda in jack of all trades, master of all armor, while chloro has decent offense and nothing else going for it.

Also, someone forgot about minions and sentries. Hallowed Armor has a summoner helm so it's just as good for afk farming as chlorophyte is, if not better. In fact you could argue you can farm more efficiently with hallowed armor because the holy protection can keep you alive for longer in the off-chance an enemy gets through your defenses (such as a biome mimic or angry trapper)

Last edited:
what weaknesses does hallowed armor have again? It was always known for having decent offensive stats and they were not reduced when the armor was given Holy Protection. Hallowed is kinda in jack of all trades, master of all armor, while chloro has decent offense and nothing else going for it.

Also, someone forgot about minions and sentries. Hallowed Armor has a summoner helm so it's just as good for afk farming as chlorophyte is, if not better. In fact you could argue you can farm more efficiently with hallowed armor because the holy protection can keep you alive for longer in the off-chance an enemy gets through your defenses (such as a biome mimic or angry trapper)
Gosh, look at me. Old-gen player. I forgot they gave the titanium buff to hallowed armor.

I have to agree, though. Hallowed is superior, even back in old-gen versions. I never even bothered with chloro because it was too hard to grind for a meaningless stat-boost of like, 5% damage.

I might be wrong, but doesn't Chloro armor have less defense then Hallowed?

Gosh, look at me. Old-gen player. I forgot they gave the titanium buff to hallowed armor.

I have to agree, though. Hallowed is superior, even back in old-gen versions. I never even bothered with chloro because it was too hard to grind for a meaningless stat-boost of like, 5% damage.

I might be wrong, but doesn't Chloro armor have less defense then Hallowed?
It has more, but not by very much

Though I can't speak for 1.4.4.9 Chlorophyte Armor specifically [I skipped it in my recent playthrough], I can speak for the Hallowed Set and another set that wasn't being compared here, which would be the Tier 2 AAO sets. I personally consider them to all be the same tier, only because of the "unlock requirement(s)", which is, at least one or all Mech Boss must've been defeated.

This being the case, there are indeed strengths and weaknesses to these Tiered Sets that don't often get discussed, only because of a previously homogenized outlook on the game and it's Meta.
  1. Hallowed Sets
  2. Chlorophyte Sets
  3. OOA Tier 2 Sets (cause nobody asked)
If comparing the Sets respectively, I could at the very least, state that the weakness of Hallowed Armor at it's tier, when compared to the other sets, is that it appears to be a more "defensive option" in comparison to Chlorophyte possibly, but to most the OOA Sets, definitely. The Squire Set for example, is possibly one of the most offensive Armor Sets at this stage of the game [post Destroyer], with the luxury of likely the highest Raw Defense [Melee Class], and the added bonus of Health Regen.

At this stage of the game [post Destroyer], I suspect that "weakness" is measured in what a Set does or doesn't do, rather than any real measurable drawback, as each set is likely superior to anything the Player has obtained so far, prior to this point in the game [post Destroyer].

If you plan on making a "Sky Bridge" and running away, in a straight line, from most Bosses (which is pretty effective), the Hallowed Sets will allow you to do more of that, being as it's supposed to be a very low risk playstyle. However, it tends to lose it's effectiveness in Battles with a ton of Adds/ Mobs [of which you'll hear complained about often], and tends to be more useful in single, Player vs. Boss settings.

On the other hand, if you plan to use a more "aggressive style", Hallowed Armor can certainly work here, but I suspect that more Raw DPS, defense and Add/ Mob neutralizers would be the more desirable option, in which most OOA Sets excel at doing; especially if you take the setting in which the OOA Event takes place, in comparison to most other kinds of Invasions.

In summery, Hallowed Armor, at least in Terraria version 1.4.4.9, is slightly overrated. It's good in enough places in the game, that the spots it's not very effective in, can comfortably be ignored IMHO; will have get back to you about Chlorophyte Sets though... 🤔 ☕

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom