Terraria server doesn't work on non-default port

theOtherOne7107

Terrarian
So I just started running my own dedicated server the other day and I just have it running off the default port (7777) but random people keep trying to connect to the server. I woke up this morning to find the server logs just filled with this. I've tried changing the port, hoping that if it wasn't the default, the problem would stop. But when I changed the port, none of my friends could join. I have port forwarding set up, the server just doesn't work with any port other than the default. Is there any way to fix this?

Did you update your portforwarding when you changed the port it's running on?
Yes, I made sure that the port I put it on was open and it was all set up on the router. Though one thing that I thought might have something to do with it. Terraria doesn't just use 1 port, it uses 9. At least it only ended up working once I set up those 9 ports so maybe it doesn't. So at this point I'm wondering if it only works if its on those 9 ports, or if its just 7777

Yes, I made sure that the port I put it on was open and it was all set up on the router. Though one thing that I thought might have something to do with it. Terraria doesn't just use 1 port, it uses 9. At least it only ended up working once I set up those 9 ports so maybe it doesn't. So at this point I'm wondering if it only works if its on those 9 ports, or if its just 7777
Can you elaborate what you mean when you say it uses 9 ports? It should only be using one; 7777 or the one you set.

Can you elaborate what you mean when you say it uses 9 ports? It should only be using one; 7777 or the one you set.
Well once I set up the server I noticed that for some reason with only 7777 set up, nobody else could connect outside LAN. With more research I found this where it says for steam it needs 9 ports. Once I set up those 9 ports the server started working outside LAN so I just assumed they were all required.

Well once I set up the server I noticed that for some reason with only 7777 set up, nobody else could connect outside LAN. With more research I found this where it says for steam it needs 9 ports. Once I set up those 9 ports the server started working outside LAN so I just assumed they were all required.
I've never seen that before, but if it works for you then fair enough I suppose. If you're connecting through steam you shouldn't need to portforward at all though - portforwarding is only for dedicated servers.

I've never seen that before, but if it works for you then fair enough I suppose. If you're connecting through steam you shouldn't need to portforward at all though - portforwarding is only for dedicated servers.
That's another thing I'm kind of confused about. I'm running a dedicated server, my friends are all joining via IP. So why doesn't it work with 1 port, or with a port other than the default.

Maybe your server firewall is blocking the access? If your server is a managed server made for Terraria, it might only have 7777 open by default.

Back
Top Bottom