tAPI SonicR's Doctor Who Mod

SonicR

Spazmatism
Hello all!

Ever wanted to see more Doctor Who content in Terraria? If so, then this mod is for you. A continuation of my old tConfig mod, this mod adds a variety of NPCs and items from both the classic and new series of Doctor Who.

My thanks to the following, without whom this mod wouldn't have reached the point where it is today:
  • Dogsonofawolf - His NPC Pack and Other Worlds mod provided the inspiration for me to start this mod way back in 2012. Apart from giving me advice in the early days, he also allowed me to use some of his existing code.
  • rangerofthewest - gave me coding advice back in the early days
  • Yoraiz0r and the rest of the tConfig/tAPI dev team - for answering my (sometimes stupid) questions in the various help threads an irc, and for making tAPI in the first place. You guys are great!
  • Grox the Great - your GRealm Mod and Example Mod have been a great help.
  • Malunis - provided the initial Cybermen sprites, as well as 9 & 10's clothes.
  • Darthmorf - improved the Doctor sprites.

Content:

NPCs

The 13 Doctors.png

The 13 Doctors, all of whom behave like the Travelling Merchant (spawn during day, leave at night). Only one Doctor can spawn at a time. If one is killed, he will 'regenerate' into the next incarnation. All Doctors sell their outfits as vanity clothes, and some have special variations that are only sold at specific times (full moon, blood moon). Doctors 1 thru 7 sell TARDIS-related building materials, and the War, 9th, 10th, 11th & 12th Doctors sell variations of the sonic screwdriver. The screwdrivers activate mechanical items as long as the mouse pointer is hovered over the item in question.

The Eleventh Doctor also has a chance to wear his fez.

Time Lord.png
Time Lord NPC - spawns if any of the Doctors are present.

r3 Mobs.png
4 hostile mobs - all spawn in hardmode.

Items

V1.01.png
All Vanity Clothes in the mod, with two houses made out of Roundel Bricks and Walls.

WhodooDoll.png
The Doctor Whodoo Doll - enables the player to damage the Doctors when equipped. 10% drop from the Daleks and Cyberman

Regeneration
Biggest feature of the mod is, without a doubt, the ability for the player to regenerate. Simply use the Chameleon Arch item that every new character spawns with. The TARDIS sound will play, meaning that your character is now a Time Lord, and can subsequently do this:

Regen Particles.jpg

Now, for the convenience of mod users, your character's appearance will not change by default. But for those who do like the idea of their player randomly changing their appearnce, the new Time Lord NPC allows you to determine what player attributes will change, as shown below:

Regen Options.png

The attributes are, respectively, Hair Style, Gender, Hair Colour, Skin Colour and Eye Colour. All 5 are able to be toggled on/off at any time, so literally any combination of the 5 is possible.

Download HERE

Note - you will need Grox the Great's Basemod to play

Installation Instructions
1. Download & install the latest versions of tAPI (r14a) and the Game Launcher
2. Run tAPI, then close it (this will create a tAPI folder in My Games/Terraria)
3. Download the mod
4. Cut/Copy the SonicR's Doctor Who Mod tAPI file from the download
5. Paste it in the following directory: My Documents/My Games/Terraria/tAPI/Mods/Local
6. Repeat steps 3-5 for Grox the Great's Basemod
7. Launch tAPI
8. Enable the mod
9. Play and Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I own no aspect of Doctor Who, past or present. This mod was created only for the enjoyment of myself and other members of the Terrarian community. No copyright infringement intended.

Last edited:
wow I love this and you nailed them perfect!

really wish terraria had some official mod support so I could use something like this.

One idea - Having those cool little TARDIS background circles as a wallpaper. Though there are plenty of variations of it, which is in and of itself a daunting task.

Also good luck making the TARDIS bigger on the inside. Can't not have a TARDIS. :p

One idea - Having those cool little TARDIS background circles as a wallpaper. Though there are plenty of variations of it, which is in and of itself a daunting task.

I made some preliminary sprites for the circles/roundels a few months ago - both as a background wall and a block. I fiddle with the design a bit and upload a screenshot later today. They're the design from the Classic Series though; the New Series variations (particularly the one from the latest TARDIS) are going to be quite challenging.

Also good luck making the TARDIS bigger on the inside. Can't not have a TARDIS. :p

The TARDIS being bigger on the inside is not going to happen, unfortunately, but I've got a TARDIS exterior and console sprite ready for use.

Hello all! I've finally had the time to update some of my mod for tAPI!

At this stage, the mod only has the 13 Doctors as Town NPCs, but I intend to release a small update in the near future which will add their outfits as vanity clothes.

View attachment 862

The First Doctor is the only one that spawns; if he's killed, he will regenerate into the Second Doctor, and so on until you reach Twelve, at which point he will die and the First Doctor will spawn again if there's a house available.

The Future
I've got several ideas that I would be interested in implementing for future updates. Firstly, I'd like to make the Doctor behave like the Travelling Merchant; he spawns at dawn and leaves at dusk. Secondly, I'd like the Doctors to have graphical variations, like the zombies and skeletons. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure on how to do either, so if anyone can help, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that, more updates will follow regardless, with enemy NPCs, armours, building materials, more Town NPCs, and hopefully the ability to play as a Time Lord and regenerate.

Download HERE

Installation Instructions
- Download & install the latest version of tAPI and the Game Launcher
- Run tAPI via the Game Launcher, then close it (this will create a tAPI Mods folder)
- Download the mod
- Cut/Copy the SonicR's Doctor Who Mod tAPI file from the download
- Paste it in the following directory: My Documents/My Games/Terraria/tAPI/Mods/Unsorted
- Launch tAPI
- Enable the mod
- Play and Enjoy!
this mod still looks amazing keep it up

Glad to say that I'm making good progress! I've added vanity sets for five of the Doctors, with the rest to be done soon. As @ShadowTiger suggested, Roundel Bricks and Walls have also been added. Expect other TARDIS-related tiles to make their way into the mod as well.

Vanity Clothes.png

Oh, and did I mention that I've got a working sonic screwdriver as well? ;)

Sonic Screwdriver.png

It also makes the whirring sound and emits a green light when used.

That's all for now, expect an update not long into October!

I don't particularly like using them, but they provide detail that 2x2 sprites don't. In any case, I only use them when absolutely necessary; most sprites are 2x2.
its still important to NEVER use them, you can still have a lot of detail without using 1x1
For example:
index.php

its still important to NEVER use them, you can still have a lot of detail without using 1x1
For example:
index.php

The problem is that those NPC sprites are specifically designed for Terraria's graphic style, whereas the Doctors' clothes aren't, and as such are hard to fully adapt to the 2x2 style. All Doctors wear a coat of some sort, with a shirt/waistcoat/jumper underneath that have detail that can only be portrayed in 1x1. I aim to be as accurate to the show as possible, and sometimes 2x2 doesn't allow the degree of accuracy and detail that I like. Admittedly, though, this might also have something to do with my own spriting abilities. I've come a long way since starting, but I'm nowhere near the best.

The problem is that those NPC sprites are specifically designed for Terraria's graphic style, whereas the Doctors' clothes aren't, and as such are hard to fully adapt to the 2x2 style. All Doctors wear a coat of some sort, with a shirt/waistcoat/jumper underneath that have detail that can only be portrayed in 1x1. I aim to be as accurate to the show as possible, and sometimes 2x2 doesn't allow the degree of accuracy and detail that I like. Admittedly, though, this might also have something to do with my own spriting abilities. I've come a long way since starting, but I'm nowhere near the best.
ya know, the doctor doesn't ALWAYS wear the same thing ALL the time...

ya know, the doctor doesn't ALWAYS wear the same thing ALL the time...

I know - it's why I'd like to put in some graphical variations of their sprites at some point in the future, some of which will probably be completely in 2x2.

Update time!

All Doctors now sell their outfits as vanity clothes, and some have multiple sets that can only be bought at specific times (full moon, blood moon). Be aware that some Doctors sell the same clothes (pants) as others, so don't buy the same thing twice. All vanity items cost 5 gold.

In addtion, Doctors 1 thru 7 sell TARDIS-based building materials.

3 variants of the sonic screwdriver have also been added, and are available once the Eye of Cthulhu has been defeated. Sold by the War, 9th, 10th, 11th & 12th Doctors, they activate all mechanical objects from a distance (pressure plates, switches, etc) so long as the mouse pointer is hovered over them.

Download HERE

Next update will include some enemy NPCs and related items.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
3 variants of the sonic screwdriver have also been added, and are available once the Eye of Cthulhu has been defeated. Sold by the War, 9th, 10th, 11th & 12th Doctors, they activate all mechanical objects from a distance (pressure plates, switches, etc) so long as the mouse pointer is hovered over them.
Of all of the things here, I was particularly amazed and impressed at this. I hadn't even expected this to be a thing, but my expectations have been surpassed.

Also can't wait to build me a tiny TARDIS.

Back
Top Bottom