Is Terraria cross-platform (iPad PC)?

ArchiveDW

Official Terrarian

For iPad and PC

And if so, how could you play over wifi with someone with an iPad, on your PC?

Thank You!

I highly doubt it because the platform versions are and always will be different from the PC ones, both content and code wise.
This time next year we may be up to date on all ends considering 1.3 is the last update, so barring modded servers i can see a work around being implemented.

And? When the ps3 first came out it was hacked into a great platform to play wow, hell leo laporte hacked it onto a ds.
If you can make a workaround for one you can do so for the other.
I am having a hard time understanding what you are trying to say, would you kindly use less sarcasm?

Are they possibly going to support that later?

I'd say just shy of zero chance ever (because I'm an optimist).

Terraria is a cross-platform game which can be played on PC, Linux , Mac , PS3 , Xbox 360 , XBOX ONE & PS4. However, it is currently not supporting so that you may join the same game on different platforms.

Just to clarify for anyone potentially confused, Linux and Mac are not currently supported and as far as I know it has not been 100% confirmed as being released for them just yet.

And? When the ps3 first came out it was hacked into a great platform to play wow, hell leo laporte hacked it onto a ds.
If you can make a workaround for one you can do so for the other.

That's a different type of hackery going on... You're making connections where they don't actually exist. More relevant to what's being discussed here would be something like making DOTA 2 and League of Legends players able to play against each other with each player using their preferred game.

There would be a LOT of of work to make Terraria function like that and you'd be lucky if it was ever more than a buggy, glitchy, laggy mess. Good luck with exclusives, any calculations done differently, and dealing with unsynchronized updates.

Yay for being able to necro threads. Mostly directed at Garish Gnome's short sighted reply.
There would be a LOT of of work to make Terraria function like that and you'd be lucky if it was ever more than a buggy, glitchy, laggy mess. Good luck with exclusives, any calculations done differently, and dealing with unsynchronized updates.

The games are different enough that it could be a challenge, but it'd be easier to dumb down the PC version while in multiplayer than to sharpen the mobile or console versions. Play to the lowest common denominator. Minecraft for Windows 10 is compatible with all Minecraft Pocket Edition platforms (Windows, Android, iOS). Since this is necro, and your post was from Jan 2015, it may be worth noting that Mac and Linux support are here (and can be multiplayer across desktop platforms):
1.3.0.8 August 12, 2015 Mac & Linux Release Now officially playable on Mac and Linux.

In December of 2015 all content from Desktop was brought over to the mobile edition, so it's not out of line to think that a cross-platform server option may be possible. The hardest part about that concept right now is the fact that any screens I've seen showing Mobile Terraria's multiplayer features suggest that a direct connection over IP isn't possible, which means WAN servers are out (unless using some VPN solution). There are enough differences remaining from PC to Mobile that you'd have to add conditionals to the PC version to allow fallback for Mobile compatability.

Console edition interoperability is more limited because of the way the major consoles don't like to allow direct connections for gaming (cuts into that Live Gold subscription cost/benefit). It's still possible, as demonstrated by the aforementioned warframe, if the developers take the steps to make the games capable of connecting to the same servers.

Subtle differences in the nuances of native code and hardware limitations do not preclude the capacity for each platform to be able to connect to a server, provided the server is capable of talking to each of the platforms in a way they can understand.

How do I know? I'm an enterprise software engineer and I host dedicated servers for a variety of games on a regular basis.

For iPad and PC

And if so, how could you play over wifi with someone with an iPad, on your PC?

Thank You!
Not with pc they have better stuff then console i really want that bow that the mimic dropped but it was only for pc or maybe they have not u-pdated thier wiki 1.3 we might have it now i really want the meowmere as well its a meme well a dead one but who cares it something

The games are different enough that it could be a challenge, but it'd be easier to dumb down the PC version while in multiplayer than to sharpen the mobile or console versions. Play to the lowest common denominator. Minecraft for Windows 10 is compatible with all Minecraft Pocket Edition platforms (Windows, Android, iOS).

Ok... I know this has been a couple years... :p
But I do want to throw a couple things out there.

Minecraft Bedrock edition is the official version of Minecraft currently. It is cross platform between all versions including desktop (PC, Mac, Linux), mobile (Android, IOS, Windows, ect), and CONSOLE (Xbox and any others that I don't know about). Play station is not cross platform because Sony doesn't like to be cross platform for whatever reason, but they still have Minecraft on it.
Desktop has a second version, the Java version. This is where all of the modded community is. They still support/update the Java version even though it isn't the main version anymore. All bedrock versions are not compatible with the Java version.

Before Bedrock came out there were a variety of differences between the different platforms. Mobile and conaole didn't have nearly the content that desktop had. So in order to make it cross platform... they didn't dumb down the desktop version, they brought the other versions up to the desktop version. They lost the content that was unique to the mobile and/or console versions, and I'm sure they made several people mad at that, but they did it and look where it is now.

If you look at terraria, while the different versions have their differences, they aren't that far off. As you said, they ported most of the content from desktop to the other versions. However they still have their differences. If, like you said, they were to dumb down the desktop version for multiplayer only, then you would basically need to have 2 copies of the same game just to run 1 single instance. Then you run into the problem of what if two people, both on desktop want to play together, since its multiplayer, does it play the dumbed down version or does it stick with the desktop content.

I feel like it would be easier and more effective to port everything from desktop to the other versions. You might make some people mad because you got rid of the content that was unique to mobile/console, but I think you would make more people upset if you dumbed down the computer version. If you rework the entire system for mobile/console, and even some of the desktop, it might make more work for that first version, but it sets it up for easier updates later. Then you can play cross platform with out worrying about the differences because there aren't any differences. If you're worried about mobile specs not being able to handle it, don't. There are plenty of other mobile games out there that would be more graphically and resource intensive than Terraria. Also, the mobile version is surprisingly close to the desktop versions. They got rid of some content and replaced it with some other content, that's it. Theyźre already practically the same game. Sure the two versions are probably processed differently in the background, but i don't think that it would be that much different/harder processing the desktop content.

In conclusion, no, there is still not cross platform. However, it wouldn't be too difficult to make it if they decided to do that.

I Own Terraria Mobile And If you go on terraria.one:7777 Its a PC server and it works on mobile and when i tried to join PC on mobile and vice versa it did not work. it said you are not on the same version as this device so the code must be the same for it to know what version you were on, on your phone. its just the version also my PC version of terraria is 1.3.5.3 or 1.3.5.7

I Own Terraria Mobile And If you go on terraria.one:7777 Its a PC server and it works on mobile and when i tried to join PC on mobile and vice versa it did not work. it said you are not on the same version as this device so the code must be the same for it to know what version you were on, on your phone. its just the version also my PC version of terraria is 1.3.5.3 or 1.3.5.7
Mobile Terraria is on version 1.3.0.7 + device-specific bugfixes. This is a different version to PC 1.3.5.3or7, so the two platforms are incompatible, it might work when both mobile and PC have 1.4, but it probably wouldn't work then anyway, because of them having to be created using different code. This is due to different types of devices using different code for apps.

EDIT: Just reread your post and realised that you probably weren't asking for help, sorry if that was true.

Back
Top Bottom