Weapons & Equip Pirate's Deck

How do you feel about this suggestion?

• I am screaming "Yeth! Yeth! Yeth" and drooling profusely.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I am casually nodding my head in appreciation.

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • I am expelling my stomach contents onto the floor.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
So I wanted to create a weapon that embodies randomness. What could be more random than a set of playing cards? (You might want to ask that question to an accomplished magician.)

Enchanted Card:
33% chance of dropping from Pirate Captains in stacks of 10-15
2% chance of dropping from Pirate Deckhand, Deadeye, Crossbower, Corsair in stacks of 4-6

And you can place it as a background wall if you want.

But that's not the main purpose of these things, is it?

Pirate's Deck
(Somewhat of a play on words... deck of cards, geddit?)

60 magic damage*
Insanely fast speed
Uses 3 mana
Shoots a storm of enchanted cards that do random damage from a bottomless deck
*it's more complicated than that
Crafting recipe: Enchanted Card x52, Pixie Dust x30 @ Mythril Anvil

And heeeere are the sprites. Thanks, Zoomo!

pirates-deck-png.109847

From left to right, it's the Enchanted Card, the sprite for the Pirate's Deck itself, and the four forms the projectiles can take. Pretty neat!

Now, let me explain the randomness bit. I added 3 elements of randomness that should make this really fun to use.

The base damage of each projectile is any integer between 1 and the written amount of damage (with no modifiers, 60). So on average it'll be around 30, but damage modifications will still apply.

Do you know how the Magic Dagger flies straight for a certain distance, then drops like a rock? Well, cards fired from the Pirate's Deck also fly for a certain distance before becoming heavily affected by gravity. But as those who have tried throwing cards themselves know, the distance they'll fly is... you guessed it... random. It could fall practically right in front of you, it could fly for half a screen. (The animation for when it starts to fall will show it spinning sideways so you can identify the card.)

Final element of randomness: Every card fired from the Pirate's Deck will pierce every enemy it scores a critical hit on. The degree of crowd control will therefore be pretty random.
Easter Eggs: Every card has a 1/777 chance of ignoring damage calculation and instantly critting for 777 damage, and also inflicting Midas. Also, it re-textures Orichalcum petals into playing cards, but it's purely cosmetic.
So that ought to be a fun weapon to use, don't you think? Let me know in the comments.

Last edited:
Nice play on words :p
Sometimes, the random weapons are the funniest to use

Edit: You get a
hammer_of_approval_by_milt69466-d815i4s.gif

Last edited:
This just screams badass. Nice suggestion, you've elaborated on it enough and specified parts that need specifying. I like it.

I want this weapon really badly. The sprite looks amazing, and the concept is great.
Something I want to see is the cards getting lodged in blocks for a second before they disappear.

The cards should have a different sprite for all four suites, and do a couple of random special effects depending on the suite:

60% chance for a Spade, works as described.
20% chance for a Club, which explodes upon impact for a grenade's damage with the same radius.
10% chance for a Diamond, which has an insane amount of knockback but only half the damage
and 10% chance for a Heart, which heals you for 10% of the damage done to the enemy, but only deals half damage like the diamond.

Eh? Eh?

Last edited:
I think it should also use say, 2 mana if you deal 20 (unmodified) damage or less, 3 mana if you deal 30 or less, 4 mana... See where I'm going? This would mean even the weaker shots would compensate for their ineffectiveness, and would make it a bit more of an upgrade to the Magic Dagger. I still love this idea though, and would love yo see it ingame, especially as the Pirate weapons we already have are awesome, but there are too little (no magic). Support!

Interesting concept, but...
250px-225Delibird.png
Pardon me, but what?

EDIT: Did some research. Apparently that's a Poke'mon that starts out with a move that's liable to both damage and heal depending on the RNG.

Ahahahh, no, I wasn't referencing the Poke'mon. I stole the concept from a MLP fanfiction that also had painful cards.

Back
Top Bottom