Biomes & Nature When Hell Freezes Over- an Underworld alt

stormconure

Duke Fishron
I've been working on this for a while. Hope you like it!

The underworld is one if the only biomes with no alternative- corruption has crimson, hallow (hopefully in 1.3) has cyber, desert kind of has snow, and most ores have some kind of alt as well. I suggest something that isnt like a "different" underworld, but on the contrary, the exact opposite- hell frozen over.

As an alternate to the idea that this replaces the underworld, there is another possibility: when you defeat Wall of Flesh, half of the underworld "freezes over", preferably the side you weren't on when it happened. All the mobs, blocks, and other generated ovjects would remain the same, and the only difference would be the way it forms.

Generation: terrain is generated in same style as underworld, with the following changes:
-Lava is replaced by Liquid Nitrogen.
-Ash blocks are replaced by Permafrost Blocks.
-Ruined houses are made of Frozen Bricks.
-Fireblossoms are replaced by Subzero Blooms.
-Hellstone is replaced by Froststone.
-Shadow chests are replaced by Locked Frozen Chests.
-Ice Torches spawn instead of Demon Torches.
-Extinguished Hellforges spawn in place of hellforges.
-Ice biomes generate as volcanoes. Thanks to SilverBird for the idea!
Volcano Thread: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/swapping-the-ice-biome-with-the-underworld.2035/
-Stagnant water turns to ice.
-Comets land instead of meteorites. Thanks to DJFlare for the idea!
Comet Thread: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/comets-a-meteorite-alt.2740/

Liquid Nitrogen- generates like lava does in the underworld. On contact, does damage 2x as fast as Burning debuff. Inflicts Frostburn. Forms Packed Ice on contact with water and obsidian on contact with lava.
Permafrost Blocks- basically the frozen underworld version of ash blocks. Grows Subzero Blooms instead of fireblossoms.
Frozen Bricks- replace Obsidian Bricks in ruined houses.
Subzero Blooms- generate and grow exactly like fireblossoms. Bloom when submerged in Liquid Nitrogen.
Froststone- generates exactly like Hellstone, inflicts Freezing on contact. When broken, spawns liquid nitrogen.
Locked Frozen Chest- generates in place of shadow chests, contains ice- related weapons. Can contain Flower of Frost, Blue Moon, and Dark Lance, as well as the new Subzero Scepter (mentioned below).
Ice Torch- generated in place of demon torches.
Extinguished Hellforge- spawns in place of hellforge, can be crafted with a torch to make a normal hellforge.
Heated Key- found in dungeon in place of shadow key. Melts ice on frozen chest to make it openable. Infinite uses.
Froststone Bar- crafted from 3 froststone and 1 ice block.

Debuff: Freezing: losing life at half the rate of Burning, speed is slowed greatly. Inflicted by touching Comet or Froststone.

WEAPONS/TOOLS
---------------------
Frozen Longsword- crafted from 20 froststone bars. 30 melee damage, fast speed, very long reach. Can replace fiery greatsword in nights edge recipe.

Frozen Pickaxe- exactly same as molten, but crafted with froststone bars.

Frozen Hamaxe- same as molten, but crafted with frozen bars.

Icy Persicion- (bow) : 35 base ranged damage, causes arrows to inflict frostburn. Crafted from 15 froststone bars.

Warlock Blaster- 30 base ranged damage, average speed, crafted from 1 handgun and 10 froststone bars.

Frozen Arrow- 8 base ranged damage, inflicts Chilled and rarely Frozen in a small area to all players and enemies. Crafted from 25 wooden arrows, 5 frozen torches, and 1 froststone bar.

Icy 'Rang- 28 melee damage, semi-short range, fast velocity, may inflict frostburn. Crafted from 1 enchanted boomerang and 10 froststone bars.

Subzero Scepter- replaces Flamelash in chests. Launches a frozen plasma ball that homes in on enemies. 35 magic damage, costs 10 mana, average speed. Can't pierce.

Frozen Feather Blade- 2% to drop from Ice Angels. Similar mechanics to Vampire Knives: throws icy feathers in front of player. May inflict Chilled, 25 melee damage.

Insulator: equippable, provides immuntiy to Freezing debuff. Crafted from 10 Packed Ice and 15 Obsidian.

Insulated Water Walking Boots: crafted from insulator and water walking boots. Combines their effects.

Subzero Charm: provides 7 seconds of immunity to liquid nitrogen. Found in Frozen Chests.

Nitrogen Waders: allows for walking on frozen blocks, any liquid except lava, and 7 seconds of liquid nitrogen immunity. Crafted from Insulated WWB and Subzero Charm.

Insulated Horseshoe: crafted from Insulator and Lucky Horseshoe. Combines their effects.

Heat-Trapper Shield: crafted from cobalt shield and insulator. Combines effects. Can be crafted with ankh charm to make ankh shield. Ankh shield now protects from both burning and freezing.

Armor: Frozen Armor: set bonus gives +7% damage, knockback, and attack speed. Total set gives 22 defense.
Frozen Helmet requires 10 Froststone bars, 7 defense.
Frozen Chestplate requires 20 Froststone bars, 8 defense.
Frozen Greaves requires 15 Froststone Bars, 7 defense.

ENEMIES
----------
Pre Hardmode:
Ice slimes spawn in place of lava slimes.

Ice Bats spawn in place of Hellbats.

Frost Elf: Caster AI, 85 HP, 35 damage, may inflict Chilled.

Ice Angel- Flies around firing Frozen Feather projectiles at player similar to Harpy. 30 damage, 150 HP. May inflict Bleeding (ice is very sharp). 2% chance to drop Frozen Feather Blade.

Voodoo Angel- same as Ice Angel, but drops Guide Voodoo Doll.

Frost Cobra- Worm AI, 20 damage, slow movement speed.

BOSS- Wall of Chaos- corrupt counterpart to WoF crimson theme. Thanks to DarkDragonVG for the idea! 8,000 shared HP.
WoC Mouth: 75 melee damage, 6 defense.
WoC Eye: 75 melee damage, 20-25 laser damage, 0 defense.
The Eaters: 240 HP, 30-55 melee damage, 0 defense.
The Eaters II: 80 HP, 45 melee damage, 6 defense.
All Eaters drop Hearts.
Upon defeating WoC, hardmode starts. Same drops as WoF, contained in box of Frozen Bricks (or possibly Crimtane Bricks to counter WoF demonite).

Hardmode:
Ice Mimics spawn in place of Shadow Mimics.

Freezing Bat: 60 damage, 130 HP. Stronger Ice Bat.

What do you think???

Last edited:
The main problem with all this is that you are not in the Underworld very often, nor would you want to be: it's difficult to get there, and there is not much to gain, especially not in Hardmode. So while it would look cool visually, you wouldn't see a lot of it.

Replacing all the lave themed items with ice themed items is not really going to work, either. First of all the lack of Fireblossom is a problem. The Corruption-Crimson alternatives (Rotten Chunks-Vertebrae) work pretty well lore-wise, but since Fire-Ice are opposites, I don't think you're going to pull off sensible alternation here. Secondly, Frozen and Chilled are quite different mechanics to Burning, and I think the first two are stronger than the latter.

The main problem with all this is that you are not in the Underworld very often, nor would you want to be: it's difficult to get there, and there is not much to gain, especially not in Hardmode. So while it would look cool visually, you wouldn't see a lot of it.

Replacing all the lave themed items with ice themed items is not really going to work, either. First of all the lack of Fireblossom is a problem. The Corruption-Crimson alternatives (Rotten Chunks-Vertebrae) work pretty well lore-wise, but since Fire-Ice are opposites, I don't think you're going to pull off sensible alternation here. Secondly, Frozen and Chilled are quite different mechanics to Burning, and I think the first two are stronger than the latter.
As for a replacement for all the stuff like fireblossoms, im working on another thread about a volcano biome that replaces snow biomes. It will be posted several minutes from now... Also, i think a complete opposite to one of the biomes is pretty cool. Everyone has their own opinion, and i understand that, but i personally think this is a really good idea.

This is just redundant. A better idea might be,say, a big tar pit, but hell just doesn't need an alternative.

Honestly, if the cyber gets added, i honestly wont care...
On topic: this is a great idea but shouldn't the wall of flesh have an alternative form?
No not the wall of steel..
Here:

Wall of Chaos:
HP: 8000 (shared)
Attack: 75 melee
Defense: 6
AI: Wall of Flesh Body AI
Knockback: 75%

Wall of Chaos Eye
HP: 8000 (shared)
Attack: 15 - 25 (eye laser)
75 melee
Defense: absolute zero (you know that pun was intended)
AI: Wall of Flesh Eye AI
Knockback: 75%

The Anarchists
HP: 240
Attack: 30 - 55
Defense: 0
AI: The Hungry AI

The Anarchists II
HP: 80
Attack: 45
Defense: 6
AI: Demon Eye AI

Yes, a WoF that focuses on attack rather than defense.
Oh almost forgot, same drops as Wall of Flesh

Last edited:
I thought of something like that, but then i started thinking, wall of flesh isnt really underworld like, why should the new boss be frost like?

I thought of something like that, but then i started thinking, wall of flesh isnt really underworld like, why should the new boss be frost like?
Bruh that took me 15 minutes to write, accept it,
But in all seriousness, hell is where souls go to die, and maybe the worms took the bodies and piled them up, and the souls and bodies merged into one being, thus the wall of flesh has awoken

Bruh that took me 15 minutes to write, accept it,
But in all seriousness, hell is where souls go to die, and maybe the worms took the bodies and piled them up, and the souls and bodies merged into one being, thus the wall of flesh has awoken
I realize thats a really good idea... Im so tempted to use it. Maybe i can modify it to have the same stats... Idea! How about since WoF seems crimson- themed, make a wall of disease, shadow, or evil to put a corrupt themed one? How does that sound?

There, i added wall of chaos! Thanks so much for the idea DarkDragon! Also, i changed the Anarchists to the Eaters, is that OK?

I really like the idea of hell freezing but I do not think it should be and alt to the underworld, I think after the WOF is defeated "Hell freezes over" and half of the underworld turn to the Ice version, which will be much harder than the regular underworld.
Thats an interesting idea... If others like it I'll probably add it and credit you. Thanks for that idea, but then my volcano biome thread would become kind of pointless. Its a hard decision.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom