Items [Sprites] Worm Net

Enjl

Cultist
Okay, bear with me on this one. I have no experience with making suggestions nor in making Terraria-styled sprites. Sprite's only there to visualise this idea.
I also don't know if something similar has been posted before. My quick search on "worm" resulted in nothing like this.

hiWGgkM.png

This sprite loops horizontally and vertically, isn't that sweet?

The Web Trap (previously Worm Net) is an earlygame item found in wooden chests in quantities ranging from 4 to 13, which can also be crafted with 3 Cobweb at a loom
It's purpose is to help make early-game fighting more organised and less unfair.

You can place this item on background walls or attach it to blocks. Once an enemy enters the Web Trap's hitbox area, its movement speed will be slowed, similar to when the player comes in contact with cobweb. The debuff on the enemy lasts for two seconds per Trap and once an enemy is free'd from its grip, the used Web Trap will be destroyed. Enemies immune to slowness debuff don't get caught in the Web's grip and instantly destroy the trap.

If you misplace a Web Trap - don't worry, as you are able to pick it up using a pickaxe of any kind. Harvested Web Traps have a chance to then either drop as 3 Cobweb or as a Web Trap. You can not harvest a Web Trap graphic which an enemy is currently caught in.

Variations:

Variations of this item have a chance to drop themselves or 3 Cobweb when harvested with a pickaxe. Players have to be a bit more careful when placing them.

Poisoned Web Trap

wYq1Vm6.png

40 Poisoned Web Traps are crafted with 40 Web Traps and 1 Stinger at a Workbench.
Poisoned Web Traps inflict the Poison debuff, understandably. Poison debuff lasts twice as long as the slow debuff from the Web Trap itself and is stackable.

Venomous Web Trap

pePQYmS.png

40 Venomous Web Traps are crafted with 40 Web Traps and 1 Vial of Venom at a Workbench. They inflict Venom on the target which follows the same rules as the Poison debuff for the Poisoned Web Trap.

Bloody Web Trap

QkOeCzm.png

40 are crafted using 40 Web Traps and 1 Tissue Sample. The Bloody Web Trap's slow lasts twice as long.

Ichor Web Trap

5zzOU2G.png

40 are crafted using 40 Web Traps and 1 Ichor. Similar to the Poisoned and Venomous Web Trap, the Ichor debuff is sticky for two more seconds after release.

Thorned Web Trap

jlimKK8.png

The Thorned Web Trap is crafted using just like every other variation, but using Shadow Scales as secondary ingredient. Once an enemy is trapped in this kind of Web Trap, they receive a one-time amount of damage equal to half the trapped enemy's attack stat. Enemies immune to slowness take the damage as well.

Web of Cursed Flames

vOJtSlG.png

Same crafting formula as always, this time with 1 Cursed Flames. This acts like the Poisoned Web Trap, but applies "Cursed Inferno."

Frozen Web Trap

4QndsIJ.png

Rather than slowing the enemy, it completely freezes them in place for 4 seconds. It is crafted in quantities of 40 using 40 Web Traps and a Shiverthorn.

Nanite Web Trap

MLbSGwp.png

1 Nanites and 40 Web Traps craft into 40 of these Web Traps. Upon release after 2 seconds, they apply "Confused" for 5 seconds.

By now I'm tired of recolouring the same graphic over and over again, and I think I've covered most debuffs and useful effects there are.

So, what do you think?

Last edited:
I like this idea! Support! :dryadwink:

I was thinking it would look more like this:
newweb.gif
But that's just me. :p

Last edited:
I like. New, creative traps are always nice.

As a quick suggestion: Add a hardmode upgrade, I'm thinking a venomous worm net, that deals some minor damage.

It's pretty cool, but it would be even cooler if it affected all mobs. I've found worm enemies to be decently rare.

I like this idea! Support! :dryadwink:

I was thinking it would look more like this:View attachment 27696 But that's just me. :p

Idea was that it's a few blocks wide rather than square. Though your sprite certainly looks better than what I've rushed in the OP.

I like. New, creative traps are always nice.

As a quick suggestion: Add a hardmode upgrade, I'm thinking a venomous worm net, that deals some minor damage.

It's pretty cool, but it would be even cooler if it affected all mobs. I've found worm enemies to be decently rare.

I've thought about this when making this thread. I've initially (most likely very quickly) decided against it since I saw this item as a measure to make early-game digging less annoying, because I frequently get jumped on by worms, often in packs of two or more. But you got me back to thinking about it.... (damn you now I'll be distracted for a while :D)

I'll be overthinking your suggestions and think about some numbers, tweaks, maybe some additional debuffs aside from venom (hint hint) and how to incorporate them into the idea. I might even make non-rushed sprites wha----- :)

Mildly interesting and necessary bump and double post regarding overhaul of this item, huge expansion of its functions and possibly more acceptable spritework. Also name change but who cares.

Check out the first post for more information!
New version incorporates @LoM2 and @TheQuietBisharp 's cool and inspiring ideas! Thanks, guys :merchantgrin:

This is amazing, I love the new sprite! :dryadsmile:

Might want to get a mod to change the title. :dryadwink:

Mildly interesting and necessary bump and double post regarding overhaul of this item, huge expansion of its functions and possibly more acceptable spritework. Also name change but who cares.

Check out the first post for more information!
New version incorporates @LoM2 and @TheQuietBisharp 's cool and inspiring ideas! Thanks, guys :merchantgrin:
Good work! And on that subject, Cenx was asking for ideas for traps. I recommended nets made out of cobwebs and she liked it. Wonder what that means. Here's proof:
image.jpg

Who knows? This was a while back though. And even though I'd really want the credit if it got in, I don't really think I deserve it.

Back
Top Bottom