NPCs & Enemies Mechanical King Slime: Engine Pod

Fortanono 🌳

Retinazer
I saw this half-baked idea for a Hardmode King Slime a few pages back (it was called "Queen Slime", trust me, you'll find it), and I thought to myself, "What could a Hardmode King Slime be like?". I immediately remembered something that I posted on TO in 2013 called the Rainbow Gastropod. (This was before 1.2, just so you know) It was pretty epic for its day, but now I see a few things that could make it an unfair boss. (Such as the randomized debuffs, etc.) So, I decided to make this!

The Engine Pod is what it seems, a mechanical Gastropod. It is summoned with the Mechanical Slime, crafted with 250 Gel, 5 Iron or Lead Bars, and 6 Souls of Flight. If it hasn't been defeated yet, it has a random chance of spawning each morning with the message "You hear a whirring of engines from above". Unlike other mechs, it cannot spawn during night, only during the day. Let's jump into the fight!

Phase 1
The Engine Pod flies around, spawning Gastropods at regular intervals to attack you. In addition, fires a constant laser beam onto the ground directly under it, dealing 8 damage per second while standing under it. When hit, it summons 1 Mechanical Gastropod per 20 damage inflicted, which are much stronger (300 HP, 30 melee damage, 65 laser damage) Gastropods, so you need to watch out before hitting it. It can also melee you for 50 damage. This phase has 10000 health, and after you deplete all 10000 health, it will enter its second phase.

Phase 2
After depleting 10000 health, a mechanical slug body will pop out of the shell (much like the Spectral Gastropod from Console). This face looks like a moth's face, only mechanical, and with this change, it stops shooting its giant laser. Instead, it has an aimable laser coming from its new "head". This laser does 12 damage per second as well as aiming at you. Gastropods are not summoned anymore, but the Mechanical Gastropods spawn every 10 damage instead of 20. After depleting its 10000 health, it will be defeated.

Drops
  • 25-40 orange-yellow Souls of Bright
  • 5-15 Greater Healing Potions
  • 15-30 Hallowed Bars
  • 14.29% chance to drop an Engine Pod Mask
  • 10% chance to drop an Engine Pod Trophy
The Souls of Bright are used to craft the following things:
  • Rainbow Trident: A Trident with a red, green and blue tip. It is a spear with low stats for a Hardmode spear (25 damage). However, it has a 25% chance to inflict On Fire, a 25% chance to inflict Cursed Inferno, a 25% chance of inflicting Frostburn, and a 25% chance to inflict all 3 at the same time. Crafted with 20 Souls of Bright, 100 Rainbow Bricks, 10 Hellstone Bars, 5 Cursed Flames (or Ichor, even though it inflicts Cursed Flames only), and 1 Frost Core.
  • Gastropod Gun: Somewhat of an upgrade to the Bee Gun. In fact it's a lot like it except it fires Gastropods, which do less damage but fire lasers. Crafted with 1 Slime Gun (not useless anymore!), 20 Souls of Bright, 10 Souls of Light, 30 Crystal Shard, 75 Pixie Dust and 10 Unicorn Horns.
  • Soul Rifle: A ranged weapon that uses Souls as ammo. Basically, the Souls will act like Water Bolt projectiles, so this is an upgrade to the Water Bolt in a way (though it is ranged). The Souls will all inflict a certain debuff, except for Souls of Flight, which instead can ricochet and pierce infinitely. The debuffs are are Confused for Light, Poisoned for Night, Cursed Inferno for Sight, Frostburn for Might, Venom for Fright, Bleeding for Blight (on the console), and Ichor for Bright (these new souls). Crafted with 12 Hallowed Bars, 5 Souls of Light, 5 Souls of Night, 5 Souls of Flight and 20 Souls of Bright.
  • Turbo Nuclear Tome: Part of my Mech-Tier Spell Tomes suggestion, where every boss soul has their own spell tome using an NPC-obtained imbuement. This one shoots sticks of dynamite that act like Space Gun lasers, but explode like a Grenade instead of piercing. Crafted with 20 Souls of Bright, 10 Explosive Powder and 1 Spell Tome.
So, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Uhh, we already have the wasp gun.... But here's a Soul Rifle (it looks a bit more like a Soul Pistol, but...)
download (11).png

I had made a Mech King Slime suggestion a while back, this is much better than that one I'll tell you that. Anyways something someone on said suggestion brought up was that there was gonna be no more Mech bosses but don't let that stop anyone from suggesting one. Also I don't think new souls are necessary, otherwise we'll need all 4 boss souls for a Drax. But that's pretty much it, I kinda like this, just needs some tweaking.

I had made a Mech King Slime suggestion a while back, this is much better than that one I'll tell you that. Anyways something someone on said suggestion brought up was that there was gonna be no more Mech bosses but don't let that stop anyone from suggesting one. Also I don't think new souls are necessary, otherwise we'll need all 4 boss souls for a Drax. But that's pretty much it, I kinda like this, just needs some tweaking.
Thanks for the input! Personally, I think 4 souls could be fine, but maybe we could have 2 souls per tool? 2 Souls of Sight and 1 Soul of Fright for the Drax, and 2 Souls of Might and 1 Soul of Bright for the Pickaxe Axe? That way, you wouldn't have that issue.

Hmm yes thatd work, of course I'm not speaking for every forum goer though.

P.S. I also support the Confection, fist bump.

normally i would nuke any hardmode mech boss out of reality, but this is an exception. you did well, so i'll support.

Redigit has denied anymore mech bosses. So this won't be implemented. However, I must give credit wHere credit is due. This is top 10 on good mech boss ideas.

The soul of blight's bleeding debuff doesn't affect mobs due to mobs not having passive regen,so it's only useful for pvp.

Tizona inflicts Bleeding, and both are Console-exclusive, so... yeah. I'm also pretty sure Bleeding does DoT to mobs there.
nah, it doesn't. It's annoying in PvP tho.

OT: Seems unique for a HM King Slime. I reckon this could be cool as a more steam-punky kind of design instead of the futuristic design of the others, to break it up a bit.

I could have a crack at a sprite in a bit. But, be warned, I'm not the best at creature sprites. But, I'll try regardless.
Alright.
  • Phase 1: Has a dusty gold spiral shell, with a constant blue laser coming from directly under it. It has 2 "tentacles" that are made of metal plating in a deep grey color, one on each side of the laser..
  • Phase 2: There is now a single giant crack on the shell, and there is a snail body below the shell. The 2 tentacles hang from the snail body now, which is made of the same metal plating, and the laser is missing. The head looks like an insect face with blue, glowing compound eyes.
Oh, and since this one has a steampunk feel, maybe you have to defeat this specific boss for the Steampunker to move in?

Alright.
  • Phase 1: Has a dusty gold spiral shell, with a constant blue laser coming from directly under it. It has 2 "tentacles" that are made of metal plating in a deep grey color, one on each side of the laser..
  • Phase 2: There is now a single giant crack on the shell, and there is a snail body below the shell. The 2 tentacles hang from the snail body now, which is made of the same metal plating, and the laser is missing. The head looks like an insect face with blue, glowing compound eyes.
Oh, and since this one has a steampunk feel, maybe you have to defeat this specific boss for the Steampunker to move in?
I'm thinking that orange or red would fit the theme better. Blue feels out of place for a steampunk theme. I'll try both.

This seems like a cool boss. I thought that a constant Lazer would be a bit overpowered at first, but the damage per second really does stop that from being too strong. You did good. ;)

Thanks for the input! Personally, I think 4 souls could be fine, but maybe we could have 2 souls per tool? 2 Souls of Sight and 1 Soul of Fright for the Drax, and 2 Souls of Might and 1 Soul of Bright for the Pickaxe Axe? That way, you wouldn't have that issue.
But then you can mine chlorophyte before all 3 (4?) mechs and plantera

Back
Top Bottom