Ultimate Hardmode Grinder v2.0 (fully automated)

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
I present the second version of my hardmode Ultimate Grinder. The second version expands the items one can grind for, and features a simpler construction. The grinder can be used to grind for:

1) All 5 keymolds
2) Souls of Light and Night
3) Mimic drops
4) Rare mob banners (including Nymph)
5) Most components of the Ankh Shield
6) Almost everything else that can be obtained underground outside of the Dungeon

Here is the guide for the previous version of the grinder:

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/the-ultimate-hardmode-grinder-fully-automated.166636/

wDf8YqJ.jpg

(EDIT: as Full Metal Kirby correctly pointed out to me, the background walls holding the torches at the very bottom will impact the Chaos Elemental spawn rate - they should be removed if one is hunting for a Rod of Discord).

The updated grinder features two innovations:

1) A bird tower on the far left that counts the number of times the player moves back and forth on the minecart below the spawn surfaces, and upon the third pass switches tracks so that the player teleports to the upper level(s) to collect the dropped Souls.

2) A variable spawn surface selector on the far right, which controls what mobs spawn on the surface. The available surfaces are:

Hallow surface
Corruption surface
Crimson surface
Jungle surface
Mushroom surface

This greatly expands the number of items that one can grind for, including additional mob banners. A Snow/Ice surface isn't necessary, since mobs that spawn on those surfaces can actually spawn on any surface so long as there is at least 300 blocks of snow/ice nearby.

Here are the schematics for the new grinder with and without wiring:

7PalT2F.jpg

Em9ijPh.jpg

All holes to the left and right of the outer edges of the grinder are completely filled in up to 90 blocks left and right and 50 blocks below. When the player teleports into the arena, the dart trap batteries on the right are turned on by activating the bird statue and then a spawn surface is selected. The player then hops onto the mine track and moves slowly back and forth 3 times before the track switches on the far left. Once it switches the player is teleported to the middle track to collect any errant souls that were not collected when moving back and forth on the bottom track before returning to the bottom track.

If one of the two upper spawn surfaces are selected, the player will teleport from the middle track to the upper track to collect the upper errant souls before returning to the bottom track.

Here's the video of the farm in action, showcasing all the spawn surfaces:

World download:

http://www.filedropper.com/dicemanxultimatehmworld

Last edited:
For the setting that spawns hallow enemies, don't the walls holding the torches impact the spawn rate of Chaos Elementals as you pass over them?

For the setting that spawns hallow enemies, don't the walls holding the torches impact the spawn rate of Chaos Elementals as you pass over them?

Ah, that's a great point. Those walls were an absolute last minute addition to brighten the area, and they would definitely impact the spawn rate of the Chaos Elementals (funny, since I specifically went with a lava floor instead of a background wall to enable those spawns in the first place). I'll have to remove them. Nice catch!

More to add to my previous observation, couldn't you fit in both hell spawns and dark/light mummy spawns with a single toggle-able row below the bottom cart line, but above the lava? Assuming you build the grinder just above hell, that is. Since then you could hold up the sand using obsidian platforms, while still canceling out spawns with lava as needed.

Since from what I've observed on my own, what spawns depends on the height of the spawn location, rather than the players height, and block-specific spawns will still spawn in the hell layer.

More to add to my previous observation, couldn't you fit in both hell spawns and dark/light mummy spawns with a single toggle-able row below the bottom cart line, but above the lava? Assuming you build the grinder just above hell, that is. Since then you could hold up the sand using obsidian platforms, while still canceling out spawns with lava as needed.

Since from what I've observed on my own, what spawns depends on the height of the spawn location, rather than the players height, and block-specific spawns will still spawn in the hell layer.

That's definitely an interesting idea, in an attempt to maximize the variety of mobs that this farm could spawn. I was actually thinking of building this farm in other locations too:

1) Overlapping with the Dungeon (instead of actuating a spawn surface, I would simply shift tracks to have the player travel through an area with background dungeon walls)
2) Overlapping with the Lizard Temple (to farm for batteries and banners)
3) Overlapping a Spider Nest

As far as incorporating hell spawns, it would be tricky to have platforms below the player location since the player would be exposed to projectile attack. However, I could drastically open up the area below the track and have some actuated surfaces there, maybe even completely out of view at the bottom. I'll need to look into your suggestion!

Regarding the sand surface - I actually already built a surface grinder to complement the cavern grinder, and I have a sand layer there so I can get not only the mummies but vultures and antlions as well - for their banners mainly. There are a number of unique mobs on the surface that can be worthwhile to grind (especially for Ankh Shield components and for Frost armor). Still, I'll have to consider adding the sand layer to the cavern farm as you suggest.

Here is my prototype simplified rendition (again, although a more illustrative snap than I posted on the other forum's thread).
Terraria 2014-09-23 21-18-14-16adj.jpg

This might be handy for those who love your idea, but could do with a cut-down or simplified version. Features:
  • Single, solid spawn surface. For differing monster types you'd need to replace that row of blocks or insert sections of different biome blocks.
  • Single line of super-darts (fired right along the rails). I think you need a large world temple to stand a good chance of getting just these 15. So, if this is a limited resource, you could alternate regular and super traps... Or use a more 'frugal' engine design that fires more slowly, only needing 10 or even just 6 traps: see my rapid-fire dart trap (video) guide thread.
  • Same dimensions for area setup (essential), although I made do leaving the native ice in place (some already corrupt & hallowed). This resulted in getting only ice related major drops (from ice mimics, etc, see inventory), but various key molds, souls and chaos elementals, still.
  • Because player is a little more exposed here, a decent minon (or several) and/or leaf crystal (or similar) might be handy to deal with the tougher mobs that would otherwise reach player (during AFK farming). The above setup was stable for over 2 hours (real time). Note that a slow minecart speed is essential to staying alive (giving the darts time to safely kill mobs while still far from player).

2) Souls of Light and Night
I was going to ask if it's still possible to get both light and night souls simultaneously, but looks like this was patched: I did a quick test which indicated 1 soul only. :(

I also noticed that there is a 42 tile 'soulless zone' in the middle of your grinder, in the transition region between corruption and hallow (can't remember if you/we'd mentioned this before?). Their block counts cancel each other out, meaning no souls can be dropped while player is in that area. Hallowed needs (an outright majority of) 100 blocks, corruption 200 [Artificial Biome Guide - verified]. The requirement disparity creates an asymmetry that you can see in the image below, where I've highlighted your grinder's dead-zone:
Soul Dead zone - TEdit v3.5.14228.27 Ultimate HM world.wld 03102014 040934.jpg
At 42 tiles out of a 166 tile width, that's about 25% lost souls! :eek: The good news is you can greatly reduce this by simply redistributing biome blocks. :) I got the region of limbo in my test setup down to just 5 tiles, by making a 95 tile gap between the tall columns of ebonstone and pearlstone (see image below). Taller columns of blocks means that more go out of range with each tile moved sideways, making transitions more rapid. The area where biome blocks are considered is 50 tiles right and left (of screen centre) and ~42 tiles up and down (it's a box shape, as usual).
TEdit v3.5.14228.27 Guberniya.wld 03102014 071157.jpg
Things shouldn't be any more complicated in your grinder, as it happens, since the corrupt + crimson spawn surfaces should exactly cancel with the one pearlstone surface (I think; crimson and corruption also cancel each other out for determining background music, but both drop souls of night).

Additionally, I think the Lihzahrd blocks are redundant in your current design. There are always 80 jungle spawn surface blocks in range (and it doesn't matter if they're inactive).

Last edited:
Some really useful info here! I hadn't had a chance to work on optimizing the biome specific blocks yet (I've been working on and off on a fairly massive project - I'm hoping to release a video/guide by this week-end) but this will definitely help speed up the optimizations. I didn't realize just how big that soulless area was! The blocks were rather haphazardly put together in the first place since I knew more additions were coming and I'd have a 3rd version of the grinder ;).

Great work assembling this info!

So, tell me if im wrong here because i would love to expand my Farmzilla.

Will I be able to stack block rows like grass on top of sand on top of jungle mud on top of snow, set each level to a row of actuators, enable the one I want at the moment, and AFK?

I am on console only so I have no minecart. What I DO have is a popsicle stick under my joystick and honey cubes spaced 4-5 blocks apart as speed bumps. My easymode worm food factory is over the top, and it grinds the eater FOR ME.

So, tell me if im wrong here because i would love to expand my Farmzilla.

Will I be able to stack block rows like grass on top of sand on top of jungle mud on top of snow, set each level to a row of actuators, enable the one I want at the moment, and AFK?

Yes, that will work! The surfaces control what spawns instead of the biome you're in.

is there a way to integrate the different dungeon mobs too?
i think about a "all in one"-spawner :)

EDIT:
but this means i have to build near the dungeon, the ocean, the surface and the hell right?! -_-

Last edited:
is there a way to integrate the different dungeon mobs too?
i think about a "all in one"-spawner :)

EDIT:
but this means i have to build near the dungeon, the ocean, the surface and the hell right?! -_-

I think you'll like what's coming next then ;).

I'm in the process of writing up a guide - I've already built new things and have a video ready for upload. I might have it ready by today or tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom