Weapons & Equip [Mage] Tome of Eternal Blight

Which Sprite looks better?

• Left one

• Right one

Results are only viewable after voting.

LoM2

Retinazer
On a bit of a suggestion streak here.

If you're wondering why everything from me has been a mage/summoner suggestion lately, it's because those two classes have the greatest allowance for flexibility and creativity. Also because Melee/Ranged are getting somewhat bled dry.

Onwards! The Tome of Eternal Blight!
Made two versions of the sprite, leave your opinion on which one is better. (They're literally two pixels different.)
4MnKQH7.png
IgbhFWm.png

These came out okay, but then again it was basically a "recolor and draw a symbol".
The symbol was random. I couldn't fit a skull. Not to mention the fact that a skull is a bit cliche.

Tome of Eternal Blight:
4MnKQH7.png
IgbhFWm.png

Crafting:
Soul_of_Light.png
Soul_of_Night.png
Crafted at a Bookcase. (Alternatively, could be a Demon/Flesh Altar. I don't understand why those are so underused.)

This is meant to be tiered far above the other Spell Tome things. I always felt it was a bit weird the player just ditches the spell tomes so quickly.

Damage: 45
Use time: 60 (wooaah) (
Running_Bear_by_JaJitsu1.gif
with me here) (sorry)
Mana Cost: 30
Knockback: None

Now, why the insane use time (and cost)? Because this is a little more than your classic "throw at zombie's face" attack. Nope.

A) When used: It releases a yellow projectile (think a Lost Soul but colored yellow (and not homing)). Relatively slow moving. Going to refer to it as the Blighted Soul.
B) Upon hitting an enemy, it disappears and inflicts Blight.

Blight:
pibozs9.png

No timer (lasts until death) (5 seconds on other players)
- 15% attack (-5% in PvP)
- 25% horizontal speed
- 20% jump height
- 6 defense
3 DPS (Ignores defense)
Visual: Turns enemies a sickish green-yellow.
Bosses are immune to the height and speed limitations. Destroyer is immune to all of it (though I'd love to put this against his probes.)

Yeah, that's why.

For balance: You may only have three Blighted Souls out at a time. Should be enough.

C) When an enemy with blight dies, a new Blighted Soul is released, only this one has a much faster velocity and will go after the nearest enemy. (Eternal Blight.) Keeps going until there's no more enemies near it's latest kill.

Loosely based off of an ability from the same game my Skeletal Staff was based off of. Nobody's figured it out yet. (Then again, no one's guessed either... so...)

Man, dark arts are fun. I'm getting kinda tired of typing this at the end of every suggestion, but feedback is appreciated (especially in terms of balance, because at this point it seems a little too powerful) and thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Looks very cool, but the blight effect seems way too strong. considering how it spreads, i think this is just way to much. i think the slow effect should be removed, and instead of releasing souls when dying, it would spawn souls at a rate of like. 1 soul every 3 seconds?

by the way, nice spell idea. i always wanted a spell that could spread like a virus. heh

This looks awesome! It does seem a bit strong, so maybe each new blight soul deals only 80% as much damage as the last until it reaches 1. Then they wouldn't just continue forever. Probably also remove the slow effect. Awesome effect though, causing plagues is always fun. :p

Looks very cool, but the blight effect seems way too strong. considering how it spreads, i think this is just way to much. i think the slow effect should be removed, and instead of releasing souls when dying, it would spawn souls at a rate of like. 1 soul every 3 seconds?

by the way, nice spell idea. i always wanted a spell that could spread like a virus. heh
This looks awesome! It does seem a bit strong, so maybe each new blight soul deals only 80% as much damage as the last until it reaches 1. Then they wouldn't just continue forever. Probably also remove the slow effect. Awesome effect though, causing plagues is always fun. :p
I'd rather not change the spreading thing, because that's what the entire idea was based off of, but I'll turn down the other debuffs some.

Great.

It feels like it should be made with le souls of blight tho. but then that would cut it off from PC users....
Was thinking that the Souls of Blight (Can't abbreviate that...) would be pretty appropriate... Pity it's console/mobile only.

I agree with the melee but ranged is definitely NOT bled dry.
The guns are, to some degree. Rockets and Bows still have a lot of potential but for me, the best gun idea I could probably come up with is a new type of bullet or an upgrade of something to fill in a tier gap. (Ironically, I feel like doing a ranged suggestion now... ) Even so, ranged is still to some degree restricted to logic, while I can pretty much do whatever the hell I want with magic.

Really nice suggestion! Sounds like it could use more ingredients then just Venom and Souls, so how about Spider Fangs and/or Ectoplasm? It is meant to be late game, support! :)

Really nice suggestion! Sounds like it could use more ingredients then just Venom and Souls, so how about Spider Fangs and/or Ectoplasm? It is meant to be late game, support! :)
Don't really want any Ectoplasm, I'm going for more poison than ghostly. It's already gated post-plantera anyways, Vials of Venom are only sold by the WItch Doctor after plantera is defeated.

Don't really want any Ectoplasm, I'm going for more poison than ghostly. It's already gated post-plantera anyways, Vials of Venom are only sold by the WItch Doctor after plantera is defeated.
But its nearly free, theres 0 grind other then souls, which really don't relate. I see why ectoplasm doesn't work but i like fangs...

I'd rather not change the spreading thing, because that's what the entire idea was based off of, but I'll turn down the other debuffs some.
Well I agree that th *eternal* blight is pretty cool, but it seems like it would be far too easy to fire 20 shots in a frost moon and then have 20 enemies with permanent debuffs for the rest of the event. I suppose it would be incredibly powerful for events and invasions, but not so much against common enemies...

Whatevs. It looks pretty good now after the changes.

Is the reference to Risk of Rain? Seems like something from that game...

Anyway, very nice idea. I personally love the Blight; enemy-affecting debuffs are way too underpowered.

Nope, although I do love risk of rain. It's an iOS game :3
... Is it Mage gauntlet? That was a pretty good action-RPG. I seem to remember something like that on there.

I have nothing else on-topic to say, so I will leave it at that.

... Is it Mage gauntlet? That was a pretty good action-RPG. I seem to remember something like that on there.

I have nothing else on-topic to say, so I will leave it at that.
Mage Gauntlet was amazing. But still no, don't think it ever had any poison ability. Closest was an acid cloud.

ranged is still to some degree restricted to logic, while I can pretty much do whatever the hell I want with magic.
lol, true

anyways, i like spell tomes (though i wish someone would make one with the title of 'grimoire' instead of 'spell tome' for once, lol)

support

Back
Top Bottom