PC Missing Executable. (Steam)

Did you use steam to uninstall content or did you delete it manually? Did you confirm Terraria.exe and its files are all there before launching?
1. Used steam once, and manually another.
2. Confirmed and double confirmed. With the addition of a little validating after confirming just to be sure.

Ok, nope. Re launching the game, missing executable.

Ehh, I'm getting a new computer in a month or so, and I have a PS3 to play Terraria on... so I guess I can wait. :p
(Anyone wanna play with me, add bo132013sgo... don't ask, on psn.)
This is a really unusual problem.
It could be one of the following problems: Steam is damaged, your hard drive might be damaged, or something very suspicious is running around in your computer.

You're getting a new PC, are you going to use your old hard drive or are you going to use new ones?
If you're using your old drives, I recommend running a scan through them, from a different PC if possible.

The issue you are showing is common for some steam players, a few weeks ago another user had this issue. It turns out that one of his Anti-virus programs he had running in the background, even though he stated he shut it off or installed it, still took effect. The result was that we had to END task the program, and delete it manually from the system. It was deleting files as soon as STEAM downloaded it and saved it.

More information here:

Troubleshooting
This error results from the improper delivery of necessary game files. Please follow the steps below to initiate a small download of the missing content:

1. Completely exit Steam.
  2. Navigate to your Steam installation folder (~C:\Program Files\Steam).
  3. Delete the 'appcache' folder.
  4. Restart your computer and attempt to launch the game through Steam.
If the issue persists, it may be that a program on your machine is interfering with the proper delivery of game files.

Please temporarily uninstall any applications listed in our Programs Which May Interfere with Steam.

Additionally, it is possible that anti-virus software is reporting game files as malicious.

Unsupported operating systems
Important:

Some titles can be downloaded through Steam on an operating system that they are not currently supported with. Check your game's system requirements on the title's Steam Store page or retail box. This is caused by the game's configuration as chosen by the title's developers. In cases such as this, even if a game can be installed, it will not run and is not supported on alternate operating systems in any way.

Running Steam as an Administrator
For Windows Vista, 7, and 8:

2. Right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam.
  3. Select "Run as Administrator."
For Windows XP:

1. Exit Steam completely.
  2. Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK".
  3. Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE
  4. Right click and select "Permissions."
  5. Check the "Allow" boxes for "Admin" and "System" for both "Full control" and "Read".

Flushing your Steam application files
You can reset the Steam application's files to rule out a few potential causes of this issue.

1. Exit Steam.
  2. Open Internet Explorer, Safari or Firefox and type steam://flushconfig then press Enter. (If asked to allow this website to open a program, please click 'Allow' or 'OK'.)
  3. When prompted by Steam to reset your configuration, please click 'OK' to confirm.
  4. Once done, log in to Steam and re-test the issue.

This is a really unusual problem.
It could be one of the following problems: Steam is damaged, your hard drive might be damaged, or something very suspicious is running around in your computer.

You're getting a new PC, are you going to use your old hard drive or are you going to use new ones?
If you're using your old drives, I recommend running a scan through them, from a different PC if possible.
1. How would I know if steam is damaged? And if it is, how do I fix it? Just re-install it or something?
2. Hard drive is fine, checked that not too long ago actually.
3. This might be the case. I may take my computer to get scanned or something because I do not have any Anti-Virus softwares to do so manually.
4. As for the new PC, I will be getting a whole new hard drive with that.
A little late, but what kind of computer are you using in the first place? Tower or laptop?
I am using a Compaq Presario CQ57 Laptop.
You never posted the computer system specs, could you post them for us please.
These are all the specs I know how to find atm. : Intel Celeron B800 @1.50GHz and 2Gb of RAM.
The issue you are showing is common for some steam players, a few weeks ago another user had this issue. It turns out that one of his Anti-virus programs he had running in the background, even though he stated he shut it off or installed it, still took effect. The result was that we had to END task the program, and delete it manually from the system. It was deleting files as soon as STEAM downloaded it and saved it.

More information here:

Troubleshooting
This error results from the improper delivery of necessary game files. Please follow the steps below to initiate a small download of the missing content:

2. Navigate to your Steam installation folder (~C:\Program Files\Steam).
  3. Delete the 'appcache' folder.
  4. Restart your computer and attempt to launch the game through Steam.
If the issue persists, it may be that a program on your machine is interfering with the proper delivery of game files.

Please temporarily uninstall any applications listed in our Programs Which May Interfere with Steam.

Additionally, it is possible that anti-virus software is reporting game files as malicious.

Unsupported operating systems
Important:

Some titles can be downloaded through Steam on an operating system that they are not currently supported with. Check your game's system requirements on the title's Steam Store page or retail box. This is caused by the game's configuration as chosen by the title's developers. In cases such as this, even if a game can be installed, it will not run and is not supported on alternate operating systems in any way.

Running Steam as an Administrator
For Windows Vista, 7, and 8:

2. Right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam.
  3. Select "Run as Administrator."
For Windows XP:

1. Exit Steam completely.
  2. Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK".
  3. Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE
  4. Right click and select "Permissions."
  5. Check the "Allow" boxes for "Admin" and "System" for both "Full control" and "Read".

Flushing your Steam application files
You can reset the Steam application's files to rule out a few potential causes of this issue.

1. Exit Steam.
  2. Open Internet Explorer, Safari or Firefox and type steam://flushconfig then press Enter. (If asked to allow this website to open a program, please click 'Allow' or 'OK'.)
  3. When prompted by Steam to reset your configuration, please click 'OK' to confirm.
  4. Once done, log in to Steam and re-test the issue.
The thing here is, I literally don't even HAVE an anti-virus program, as I stated above. So either I do have a secret black magic anti-virus program that I never installed, or my computer is glitched the fuuuuuuck out.
[DOUBLEPOST=1424973549][/DOUBLEPOST]Yeah, I'm thinking of taking my computer to get scanned tomorrow or something.

1. How would I know if steam is damaged? And if it is, how do I fix it? Just re-install it or something?
I'm not really sure since I never really experienced or read up about this, but worst case scenario you might want to reinstall steam.
3. This might be the case. I may take my computer to get scanned or something because I do not have any Anti-Virus softwares to do so manually.
AVG is free and you can get a few premium anti-viruses like NOD32 for a trial version and run a check, it takes a little while to download and may need a few restarts though.
4. As for the new PC, I will be getting a whole new hard drive with that.
Not really related, but unless you need to work outside of home with it, I recommend getting a tower PC. They're basically half the price a laptop is and are usually better in terms of performance. Again, not really related.
These are all the specs I know how to find atm. : Intel Celeron B800 @1.50GHz and 2Gb of RAM.
You can check more specs in the dxdiag.
Press the windows key and R together and type Dxdiag. If you can, screenshot the display tab and its content.

The alternative solution is to login to steam in another computer, download Terraria, copy it to a flash drive, and paste it into your directory on your computer. If it disappears, you know some kind of program is deleting it.

I'm not really sure since I never really experienced or read up about this, but worst case scenario you might want to reinstall steam.

AVG is free and you can get a few premium anti-viruses like NOD32 for a trial version and run a check, it takes a little while to download and may need a few restarts though.

Not really related, but unless you need to work outside of home with it, I recommend getting a tower PC. They're basically half the price a laptop is and are usually better in terms of performance. Again, not really related.

You can check more specs in the dxdiag.
Press the windows key and R together and type Dxdiag. If you can, screenshot the display tab and its content.
Heres... this....PNG
Well here's this.
As for the "Not really related, but unless you need to work outside of home with it, I recommend getting a tower PC. They're basically half the price a laptop is and are usually better in terms of performance. Again, not really related." I am indeed getting a tower, I am getting a customized CyberPowerPC Zeus EVO_Storm 3000. Full list of specs
  • *BASE_PRICE: [+3419]
  • BLUETOOTH: None
  • CABLE: None
  • CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
  • CARE2: Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
  • CARE3: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
  • CAS: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, Side-Panel Window [-155] (Black Color)
  • CASUPGRADE: 12in Meter Light - 8 speed [+15] (Red Color)
  • CD: None [-59]
  • CD2: None
  • COOLANT: High-Performance Coolant powered by Koolance [+19] (UV Red Color [+10])
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Extreme Edition Eight-Core 3.00GHz 20MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011-V3
  • CS_FAN: Default case fans
  • DOCKINGSTATION: None
  • ENGRAVING: None
  • FA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System [+21] (2 x Systems [+27])
  • FAN: CYBERPOWERPC Xtreme Hydro II 360mm Liquid Cooling w/ XSPC RayStorm CPU Block, Dual D5 Pump, AX360 Radiator, Ultimate Performance+Extreme Silence at 18dBA [+230] (3 x Standard 120MM Fans)
  • FLASHMEDIA: None
  • FREEBIE_TB: Holiday Game bundle - NVIDIA SHIELD VALVE GAMES (PORTAL, HALF-LIFE 2, AND HALF-LIFE 2: EPISODE 1)
  • GAMES1: Assassin's Creed Unity Retail Version [+59]
  • GAMES2: Call of Duty Advanced Warfare Retail Version [+59]
  • GAMES3: Dragon Age Inquisition Retail Version [+59]
  • GEAR1: Razer Seiren - Elite USB Digital Microphone for the game streamer or professional YouTuber [+189]
  • GEAR2: NZXT DOKO PC streaming device-Stream Your PC into your living room [+99]
  • GEAR3: Razer Tartarus Expert Gaming Keypad [+73]
  • GLASSES: None
  • HD_M2PCIE: None
  • HDD: 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-41] (Single Drive)
  • HDD2: 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
  • HEADSET: Gamdias Hephaestus Almighty 7.1 Gaming Headset [+77]
  • HS_HANGER: In-Win iEar Headphone Hanger [+15] (Black Color)
  • IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
  • KEYBOARD: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2014 [+140]
  • MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR4/2400MHz Quad Channel Memory (GSKILL Ripjaws 4 [+49])
  • MONITOR: 32" Sceptre E325BV-FMD LED 1920 x 1080 HDTV HDMI DisplayPort Gaming Monitor [+229] (Triple Monitor [+458])
  • MOPAD: Razer Destructor 2 Expert Hard Gaming Mouse Pad [+33]
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X99 Deluxe ATX w/Wi-Fi 802.11 AC 2.4/5 GHz, Dual Intel GbE LAN, 5x Gen3 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x4,1x M.2, 10x SATA 6Gb/s [+201]
  • MOUSE: Razer Naga 2014 MMO 19 Button 8200 DPI Gaming Mouse [+78]
  • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
  • NOISEREDUCE1: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels [+29]
  • NOISEREDUCE2: Power Supply Gasket [+5]
  • NOISEREDUCE3: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
  • OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
  • POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [-25]
  • RUSH: RUSH!!! READY TO SHIP IN NEXT BUSINESS DAY [+109]
  • SERVICE: EXTENDED SERVICE PLAN: 5-YEAR [5 Year Labor, 3 Year Parts] SERVICE PLAN PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT [+349]
  • SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster ZXR 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCIe Sound Card w/SNR 124dB, DBPro optical output, Multi-channel surround, SBX Pro Studio, Sound Core3D Processor & Audio Control Module [+226]
  • SPEAKERS: Razer Leviathan 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Bar & Subwoofer [+199]
  • TABLET1: NVIDIA 8" Ultimate Gaming SHIELD Tablet with K1 Processor, 32 GB, 1920x1200 Display (4G LTE) Unlocked [+399] (NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet with Cover + Controller [+98])
  • TEMP: None
  • TUNING: Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel [+39]
  • TVRC: None
  • USBFLASH: None
  • USBHD: None
  • USBX: None
  • VIDEO: AMD Radeon R9 295X2 Dual GPUs 8GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card [+137] (Single Card (Dual GPU))
  • VIDEOCAMERA1: Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 [+103]
  • WNC: None
  • Sorry it wasn't more straight forward, this is all it would give me. :p
[DOUBLEPOST=1424975573][/DOUBLEPOST]
The alternative solution is to login to steam in another computer, download Terraria, copy it to a flash drive, and paste it into your directory on your computer. If it disappears, you know some kind of program is deleting it.
There is no other computer in my house... that works atleast.
I do have this :
DSC01371.JPG

But as you can see, it doesn't work... and it's dead. As in like... dead, deceased, kaput.... blown up by a strike of lightning... dead. :p
Also, my secret anime/hentai stash is totally not in here, nooooo. :cool:

Last edited:
A computer that doesn't turn on has a few things:
  • Power Supply is dead and needs to be replaces
  • Motherboard / CPU is fried.
Best way to determine if power supply is dead is to use it in a working machine, use a tool that checks voltage on power supply, or check if motherboard is getting power directly from the LED light.

We have no idea why you can't get terraria on here, but I have a strong feeling this is a Steam / 3rd Party program issue and not terraria. If you had Terraria.exe, it would work.

A computer that doesn't turn on has a few things:
  • Power Supply is dead and needs to be replaces
  • Motherboard / CPU is fried.
Best way to determine if power supply is dead is to use it in a working machine, use a tool that checks voltage on power supply, or check if motherboard is getting power directly from the LED light.

We have no idea why you can't get terraria on here, but I have a strong feeling this is a Steam / 3rd Party program issue and not terraria. If you had Terraria.exe, it would work.
That computer is dead. Everything was fried by a lightning strike. Thats why I have it on my desk and not being used. :p

Ok, I had this simmilar problem. FIRST:uninstall terraria using steam. SECOND:delete terraria's contents in the steamapps/common folder. THIRD:re-install terraria. FOURTH: in terraria's folder make sure that the terraria file to run is called "terraria" not "terraria_1.3.1" or something like that

Back
Top Bottom