Standalone Is anyone interested in standalone mod tutorials?

Are you interested in Standalone Mod tutorials?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wont be interested in making Standalone mods

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
tAPI is undoubtedly easier, however it is very restricted on the things you can change. For sourcecode modding you have to understand Object Oriented Programming enough to learn the syntax and random nuances of C#, .Net, and XNA as well and understand established code. You could get by passably without knowing OOP to much if you are doing minor things, but then why not just use tAPI which can also combine many small mods together.

Sourcecode modding also allows you to make much more professional or clean looking and acting mods and change pre existing code (unlike tAPI). For example, I could re adjust all the items stats, change what the players start with, change the mobs that spawn in biomes, etc.

The amount of reading of code you have to do before writing any new code that works well is pretty large if you aernt being shown specifically what to do. It took me at least a week to really start writing new code, (after reading for many hours each day) just to start adding in new liquids, as I had to go through and understand many classes and functions such as the drawing functions (which are simple), to the code that governs liquids interactions and physics which is really hard to interpret.

All in all, if you want to commit time and effort into it, sourcemodding allows for much more varied and intersting mods, but is a good deal harder to learn and use than the simple JSON scripting tAPI uses. tAPI has some really cool features (like the ability to run multiple mods simultaneously) and is a good way t introduce people to modding and allows for more mods to come in general which is cool.

Tutorials in source code could make the learning curve easier as it would familiarize oyu with the functions you would often need to use, and what code does what, without dumping the whole code on them at the same time. If you look at just the source code altogether there are hundreds of thousands of lines of code, yet for what you might want to do, only a small portion of that may be used, so pointing out what is good to look at and study can be really helpful.

tAPI is undoubtedly easier, however it is very restricted on the things you can change. For sourcecode modding you have to understand Object Oriented Programming enough to learn the syntax and random nuances of C#, .Net, and XNA as well and understand established code. You could get by passably without knowing OOP to much if you are doing minor things, but then why not just use tAPI which can also combine many small mods together.
I know at least "passable C#, .net, xna", at least when it comes to making a game. Does this require you to have a copy of Terraria source code?

When I have time, this past month has been really busy. Finals are next week so after that I should have time to start doing things n stuff again. :D

I know at least "passable C#, .net, xna", at least when it comes to making a game. Does this require you to have a copy of Terraria source code?

Yes it does, you can find this on the interwebz, or decompile it yourself and fix the resulting errors.

When I have time, this past month has been really busy. Finals are next week so after that I should have time to start doing things n stuff again. :D

Yes it does, you can find this on the interwebz, or decompile it yourself and fix the resulting errors.
Take your time, finals are evil I have exams coming up too :p

There didnt seem to be much interest, so unless I become less busy, Im not really going to prioritize making tutorials. If you need help however feel free to message me.

my doubt is to understand the raw code in a general way, were the code begin and finish, is hard to follow by my self, the code is too much shuffled when decompile it to make a standalone mod

I think it illegal to make tutorial on that since it modify source code, I am a standalone maker myself (not a coder though but I try) and the thing that will make tutorial almost impossible to make is the fact that the source is a gigantic mess, so it hard to find what go where

I think it illegal to make tutorial on that since it modify source code, I am a standalone maker myself (not a coder though but I try) and the thing that will make tutorial almost impossible to make is the fact that the source is a gigantic mess, so it hard to find what go where

i think is not because it was, every standalone mod on this forum would be deleted immediately

If you read the rules of the modding section of this OFFICIAL forum, it says it is illegal to SELL the mods, and to pass out the source code. It is not illegal (or even discouraged) to modify the source code

Back
Top Bottom