What is a like to you?

Appreciation, support, agreement, care, gratitude, and so on like what others have said.
It's really something nice to get, and it can mean a lot to many people, myself included.
It also means that people don't think I'm a flat-out nut-job, and actually see something good in what i say/do, jolly good!

I know that there are people who have yet to give a like to anyone, for whatever reason. "I don't need to give likes to show my appreciation." "It's just a number and ultimately means nothing." To me, at least, these people appear detached and distant. Or perhaps overly serious. At worst, they can appear self-centered, especially if they clearly express that they enjoy receiving likes. Let's face it, likes are an essential part of forum interaction, and if you don't use them, you're handicapping yourself.

Well :red:, I knew you hated me :p

In a more stern manner, I actually very rarely give out likes. That's mainly because I am pretty hard to impress. To get a chance for a like from me, there are a few options:

- Post something that genuinely made me laugh (mostly when I'm engaged in a conversation, not when I randomly stumble upon a funny post). Pretty hard to do.
- Undertake a task specifically for me, or mention me specifically in a certain way (such as a birthday message)
- Save me half an hour's worth of writing by representing a point in a debate that I was about to bring up in the same way I was going to, if not better.

I don't take much value in the like system anyway. All I see it as is a quick way to show appreciation, which I prefer to do in the form of a personal statement. But it's against the rules to solely post in a way that can be summarised in the 'same' way as a like, so yeah...

Well :red:, I knew you hated me :p

In a more stern manner, I actually very rarely give out likes. That's mainly because I am pretty hard to impress. To get a chance for a like from me, there are a few options:

- Post something that genuinely made me laugh (mostly when I'm engaged in a conversation, not when I randomly stumble upon a funny post). Pretty hard to do.
- Undertake a task specifically for me, or mention me specifically in a certain way (such as a birthday message)
- Save me half an hour's worth of writing by representing a point in a debate that I was about to bring up in the same way I was going to, if not better.

I don't take much value in the like system anyway. All I see it as is a quick way to show appreciation, which I prefer to do in the form of a personal statement. But it's against the rules to solely post in a way that can be summarised in the 'same' way as a like, so yeah...
Actually, likes received from relatively stingy people can mean a lot. With someone like you, who can give out pretty eloquent praise if you see fit, that's definitely the case. What I mean is that there are people who don't use the button under any circumstances. They reply to the Cyber. No like. Someone posts on their profile specifically thanking them for something they did. No like. That's not called being stingy, that's called being dim.

They reply to the Cyber. No like.

...I didn't like. But suggestions are kind of funny, I never like the main post, instead follow with what I said before and say why I like it. Or, I just be the critical :red: and say what's wrong and bail.

But I also don't have a genuine interest in the Cyber project as a whole. There are little bits of it that catch my attention, such as the aesthetics, but the whole 'Crimson needs a worthy adversary' statement has never settled on me. But I've already been on that argument on the Cyber thread, which is the price I pay for being in the obscene minority.

Actually, likes received from relatively stingy people can mean a lot.

Someone with an interest in astronomy (or whatever the specific name is) is going to relate this to me being a 'Scorpio' :confused:

I don't believe that stuff. One reason is because I can't bring myself to believe, but the other is that I understand how 'convincing' it is because when someone relates to what you are, they try to pick out any relations you have, however small...and then ignore the whole picture which could have a better connection to another sun/moon/thingy symbol.

To me it's just shows somebody enjoyed what I had to say. Like if I said something kind or funny, or something they found enjoyable. Like those suggestions that have over a hundred likes? That goes to show that a lot of people enjoy that suggestion. Or when Moderators bring order to a thread, and they are polite about it or something. It goes to show that people appreciate them bringing order. Or that somebody gave somebody else a good laugh, or the support that one needs. It's appreciation in my eyes.

I think Sony's CEO getting a dollar may equate to how a like feels for me, at least when I'm on the receiving end.

Serious answer: It depends on who's giving it: There's those who give everything likes, thus theirs hold no value. Then there's the people who "never" give likes, so those likes are like a special unicorn. A purple and pink one. Then there's these cases where I'll say "this one guy liked this post of mine, I must be doing something wrong."

I only give likes in two cases: If something I see feels special, in a good way ("that's witty/amusing/interesting, let's give it a like") or when something I see feels special, in a bad way ("that's so dumb it's hilarious.")

I only give likes in two cases: If something I see feels special, in a good way ("that's witty/amusing/interesting, let's give it a like") or when something I see feels special, in a bad way ("that's so dumb it's hilarious.")

I do wonder what the ratio is between them.

Then again, I don't follow you everywhere. And TO might skew the ratio a bit, if you're including both forums.

a like to me is just a notification that someone acknowledged and agreed/liked what i posted. usually when i get a like it makes me a bit happier than i would have been before

When I get a like, I feel happy. I know I'll have done something worth the read to them, and I feel I've actually done something right. On the other hand, when giving likes, it's me just generally liking a post for one reason or another.

I like to keep my like count up. It's fun to know that, out of my closest roleplaying friends, I'm the most liked by far. I don't want to feel higher than anyone else, I just feel happy knowing Someone Likes Me.

If someone likes my post I take it as a "Hey, that was really funny" or a "I totally agree with what you said there"

If I like someone else's post then I mean "I would say exactly what you said there" or "that was really funny"

I think Sony's CEO getting a dollar may equate to how a like feels for me, at least when I'm on the receiving end.

Serious answer: It depends on who's giving it: There's those who give everything likes, thus theirs hold no value. Then there's the people who "never" give likes, so those likes are like a special unicorn. A purple and pink one. Then there's these cases where I'll say "this one guy liked this post of mine, I must be doing something wrong."

You're one person that when I get likes from, I know I've said something either really funny, or did something great.

A like is someone saying "Nice [idea or art]!." Or "Haha, good joke, that was funny!" When I like your post it means I am thinking that.

Likes for me mean happiness, support, love, and mean that they give feedback without having to say words.

Back
Top Bottom