tAPI Cheating Death

SonicR

Spazmatism
Hello all!

Ever wanted to make death in Terraria a little more interesting? Ever wanted to have an extra incentive to not die, other than playing with a hardcore or mediumcore character? Alternatively, ever wanted to give your hardcore player some longevity? In either case, this mod is for you!

Cheating Death allows you to avoid the dreaded explosion that signals your character's demise - but at a cost. Instead of dying, your character will 'regenerate' instead, completely changing their physical form. Hair style, hair colour, skin colour, eye colour, even gender - they're all variables, and will be drastically different once the process is completed. And yes, this may be familiar to some, especially fans of Doctor Who. This is based off the feature from my Doctor Who Mod, but I received a number of messages from people who wanted to regenerate without having all of the other Doctor Who related stuff as well. And, well, here it is!

Features:
Upon creation, your new character will be ready to regenerate - and all physical features will change. So beware, if those slimes get the better of you early on, then this will happen:

During.png

After which your original character:

Before.png

May end up looking like this:

After.png

- Be warned, however, that if your player's health is reduced to 0 whilst you are regenerating, then your player will die!
- Also note that hardcore characters can regenerate 12 times before meeting their final end.

A new NPC - the Regeneration Expert - will spawn once you have defeated any of the Mechanical Bosses. He allows you to determine which physical traits change during regeneration.

Time Lord.png

Feedback regarding the range of possible skin colours, hair colours and eye colours is welcome, as are any suggestions for the mod.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Installation Instructions:

1. Download & install the latest versions of tAPI (r14a) and the Game Launcher
2. Run tAPI, then close it (this will create a tAPI folder in My Games/Terraria)
3. Download the mod
4. Cut/Copy the Cheating Death tAPI file from the download
5. Paste it in the following directory: My Documents/My Games/Terraria/tAPI/Mods/Local
6. Launch tAPI
7. Enable the mod
8. Play and Enjoy!

Last edited:
I don't quite understand actually. So when will the player regenerate ? If HP reduced to 0 still dead ?

Interesting idea, but I think it's a bit... em, let's say that I like my character as it is right now.
But you have my support anyways, I am weird. I know. :red:

OH, wait wait wait. Is this regeneration able to... end? If yes, it's a perfect hardcore mod!
I will give it a try then. ~:D

I don't quite understand actually. So when will the player regenerate ? If HP reduced to 0 still dead ?

The game doesn't actually register the player dying, as a split second before the death code runs, the player's health is briefly increased to 1, before being restored to full health as part of the regeneration process. That's all in the code, however, but basically, the player regenerates instead of dying. It's a bit complicated, but I hope that helps.

Hello... you might also want to add something else to your post.

OH, wait wait wait. Is this regeneration able to... end? If yes, it's a perfect hardcore mod!
I will give it a try then. ~:D

Yes, hardcore players regenerate 12 times before finally dying. That is, as long as they aren't killed again while regenerating!

The game doesn't actually register the player dying, as a split second before the death code runs, the player's health is briefly increased to 1, before being restored to full health as part of the regeneration process. That's all in the code, however, but basically, the player regenerates instead of dying. It's a bit complicated, but I hope that helps.

So, the player freeze while regenerating or add a buff "regenerate" or something so the player will be full-hp again ?
What if just before i regenerate then a slime hit me to death ?
I'm still confused :(

As a fan of Doctor who, This is GLORIOUS and i love it.
My only complaint is the colour of the particles,i would have made them lighter and brighter but that doesn't really matter when you are regenerating.
AWESOME MOD 11/12 heh heh heh

Hello xGodzPlayerx,

Here in this community we want our members to post in a manner that is both relative and has substantial content. Posting one word phrases such as "hi" are not considered substantial according to the rules of this forum, which can be seen here.

I would suggest you read those rules before you make another post, thanks.

So, the player freeze while regenerating or add a buff "regenerate" or something so the player will be full-hp again ?
What if just before i regenerate then a slime hit me to death ?
I'm still confused :(

Righto, run down of the process: Player's health reaches 0, and the regeneration debuff kicks in, freezing the player in one position, while at the same time increasing their HP to full and increasing their HP regen rate for a short time. After a few seconds, the debuff ends, the player's appearance is changed, and HP is once again restored to max. If a slime or any other monster hits you to death while you are regenerating, then you do actually die.

Hopefully that's a good enough explanation - I think I'll edit the OP to make it less confusing. :)

You're cheating death. I can't help but be a bit insulted at that. But it seems interesting. I guess. I sorta like my character, and death doesn't seem to big of a loss. Lose a few coins? Fine. But, in hardcore (if this is for hardcore) it could be helpful. But a bit OP as well. Still, you got my support.

Given I don't care about my character looks and always make a standard one, this is interesting to me! Also cuts me some slack for playing single player mods.

I think the regeneration energy should hurt nearby enemies like in the how 11's did to the giant Dalek spaceship.

Whilst I think the scene in question was quite stupid, I think that making the particles do some damage is a good idea. After all, the Doctor does warn people to 'stay back' whenever regeneration energy starts appearing. I'll see what I can do.

Whilst I think the scene in question was quite stupid, I think that making the particles do some damage is a good idea. After all, the Doctor does warn people to 'stay back' whenever regeneration energy starts appearing. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks. This would avoid the fact that the regeneration almost never works here. (Whatever killed me still wants to kill me.)

Back
Top Bottom