Game Mechanics Hallowed Islands: The Harpy and Wyvern solution

Snickerbobble

The Painter
Before the Hardmode days, Harpies have been a pain for any builder, but now we've got Wyverns too! And with your world in Hardmode, you don't even have that sky mob-free inner third of the map anymore. As a sand box game, this is a big problem, as it limits where the player can build. I think I've found an easy solution!

Harpies and Wyverns should no longer spawn just anywhere near the top of the world. Instead, floating islands shall generate with Hallowed grass and Pearlstone instead of normal, and a Hallowed biome high enough in the sky will cause Harpies to spawn, and Wyverns to spawn in Hardmode. This will also mean players will have access to Pearlwood in pre-Hardmode, where its armor and tool stats would be more appropriate then.

This means that a player who builds in the sky can live in peace, if they clear their base of any Hallow. Just a quick clentaminator spray to purify an island for safe-living!

Last edited:
The best part, I think, is that the relationship between Wyverns and the Hallow is almost canon.
logo.png

Would support this as the simplest and easiest way to solve my everyone's complaints about party-pooping Wyverns. No, saying "support" isn't enough. I promise that, if I ever get to talk to a developer in person, I will mention this suggestion within the first five minutes. I need it to happen. I will not rest until it gets the recognition it deserves. Excuse me, I'll be marching over to Cenx's profile page right now.

This also means that Vile Powder's tooltip makes sense pre-Hardmode, too...
"'Removes the Hallow?' What the **** is the Hallow?" *Noob proceeds to waste 20 minutes testing which biome the Hallow is*

Holy hell this needs to be a thing.

Take it. Take all of my support. This needs to be a thing so badly. Of all the little thing that say "I need to be in the game NOW" this one puts them all to shame. Seriously. It effortlessly solves so many problems... :eek:

index.php

Sorry, I can't make it gold until I get home, so you'll have to be happy with silver at the moment. :(

God. I would seriously be surprised if this didn't make it into 1.3.

The best part, I think, is that the relationship between Wyverns and the Hallow is almost canon.
logo.png

Would support this as the simplest and easiest way to solve my everyone's complaints about party-pooping Wyverns. No, saying "support" isn't enough. I promise that, if I ever get to talk to a developer in person, I will mention this suggestion within the first five minutes. I need it to happen. I will not rest until it gets the recognition it deserves. Excuse me, I'll be marching over to Cenx's profile page right now.

Yep! I've always seen them as a hallowed mob that lives outside the Hallow.

Thanks for showing this to Cenx! Hope it makes it in.

This also means that Vile Powder's tooltip makes sense pre-Hardmode, too...
"'Removes the Hallow?' What the **** is the Hallow?" *Noob proceeds to waste 20 minutes testing which biome the Hallow is*

Holy hell this needs to be a thing.

Take it. Take all of my support. This needs to be a thing so badly. Of all the little thing that say "I need to be in the game NOW" this one puts them all to shame. Seriously. It effortlessly solves so many problems... :eek:

index.php

Sorry, I can't make it gold until I get home, so you'll have to be happy with silver at the moment. :(

God. I would seriously be surprised if this didn't make it into 1.3.
It's okay, silver is cool too
8AqmgQ7.png
We could just think of it as platinum for now, right? :dryadwink:

And good point, didn't think about the Vile Powder tooltip!

This would allow me to build spaceship fleets IN SPACE!?

Support.

My god, we need this now. Although it would take one unfortunate soul to pillar up with dirt pre-HM to hallow his whole world.
Right, I was thinking: Should the Dryad sell Hallowed Seeds in pre-hardmode? Not sure if all the time or only during a certain event, like a new Blue Moon event.. but that's a different topic!

Last edited:
Right, I was thinking: Should the Dryad sell Hallowed Seeds in pre-hardmode? Not sure if all the time or only during a certain event, like a new Blue Moon event.. but that's a different topic!

We'd need to make sure it wasn't HM enemies spawning in pre-HM though. Otherwise that would get nasty fast.

While it is certainly a good fix for Harpies and Wyverns spawning, having Hallows spawning in Pre-Hardmode kind of comes with it's own problems. They are pretty minor, but things like Pixies could come after anybody looking for Floating Islands. And Pixies have just about double a Harpy's ranged damage, and more than double one's melee. If not the case already, it could most likely be fixed by adding a cap to how high Pixies spawn. And hopefully this wouldn't result in Unicorns spawning on those islands and dropping down to kill you, though this would probably not be the case. I don't know exactly how spawning works. I just thought this because Eater of Souls seem to come at you from Corruption biomes, even when you are a fair way away from them, and your biome hasn't changed yet.

And while people could build down dirt to bring Hallows to the ground, it wouldn't do them much good. At least that I can see.

The only problem I could see would be the fact that the Hallows would already be there before it's released. When you kill the Wall of Flesh, "The spirits of light and dark" are released. Thus the reason the Hallows comes into existence. It would kind of mess with the way the two biomes exist in Terraria, but I suppose it wouldn't be too major. You could argue that Corruption/Crimson exists before you kill the WoF too, but it's what causes the Hallows to exists in the first place.

All in all, I can still see this helping builders on a large level. I think that some other way to fix the issue, leaving Hardmode to cause the Hallows to exist, would be a bit better, but that's just me. Either way, I hope this this issue can be solves for other builders.

I do think that Harpies should spawn uncommonly in non-Hallowed regions of the sky, because otherwise sky islands would be completely desolate when purified. Of course this can easily be fixed by simply reducing the spawn rate and spawn cap in said regions. Another solution would be to introduce new enemies to the space biome, which should be done anyways. (@Baconfry's Balloon Slime, anyone?)

While it is certainly a good fix for Harpies and Wyverns spawning, having Hallows spawning in Pre-Hardmode kind of comes with it's own problems. They are pretty minor, but things like Pixies could come after anybody looking for Floating Islands. And Pixies have just about double a Harpy's ranged damage, and more than double one's melee. If not the case already, it could most likely be fixed by adding a cap to how high Pixies spawn.

And while people could build down dirt to bring Hallows to the ground, it wouldn't do them much good. At least that I can see.

The only problem I could see would be the fact that the Hallows would already be there before it's released. When you kill the Wall of Flesh, "The spirits of light and dark" are released. Thus the reason the Hallows comes into existence. It would kind of mess with the way the two biomes exist in Terraria, but I suppose it wouldn't be too major. You could argue that Corruption/Crimson exists before you kill the WoF too, but it's what causes the Hallows to exists in the first place.

All in all, I can still see this helping builders on a large level. I think that some other way to fix the issue, leaving Hardmode to cause the Hallows to exist, would be a bit better, but that's just me. Either way, I hope this this issue can be solves for other builders.
Pixies and Unicorns wouldn't spawn in pre-hardmode, like now if you bring Hallow over to a different world. Perhaps there could be another pre-hardmode Hallow enemy to go with the Harpy? Like @Baconfry's Balloon Slime, and maybe another enemy that'll spawn on a pre-hardmode Hallow surface biome, as well as on the islands. Something more grounded.

Also, here's how I would explain the lore behind this change:

Centuries ago, the Hallow was a peaceful, mystical land. That is, until the otherworldly Corruption attacked Terraria, where the Eater of Worlds began feeding on the world, burrowing through to create the corrupt chasms. The Corruption overwhelmed the Hallow so it drifted upward into the skies, hoping for someone to stop it. The player character fights against it, killing the worm, then enters Hardmode later, which strengthens the Hallow, but the Corruption as well. As the Hallow is stronger, it can fight against the Corruption, but the player is now a lesser evil, having stolen the ancient Hallowed island items as well as slaying its creatures for material, so it's no longer as friendly as it once was.

Maybe the Lucky Horseshoe came from a Unicorn? :dryadwink:

EDIT: SzNinja.

Last edited:
I was not aware that Pixies and Unicorns didn't spawn Pre-Hardmode. I dunno, just something about what we currently have, a whole new biome entering your world, finally a way to combat the Corruption seems special to me. Once again, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the Hallow spawn on Islands, but I personally just like the Hallows as it is.

I can see that too many people are digging the connections now, and it's really too late to say this or change anything, but maybe something becomes a Sky biome if enough Cloud blocks are around, similar to how Meteors work? Maybe if it is high enough too.

Calming potion (and pink candle in 1.3)?
Wyverns are a pain in the :red: no matter how infrequently they spawn.

I dunno, just something about what we currently have, a whole new biome entering your world, finally a way to combat the Corruption seems special to me.
What d'you mean? The Dryad sells Purification Powder in pre-Hardmode already, so I'm not sure what you're saying. >_>

Back
Top Bottom