Short Story Full Recovery Expected

Kazzymodus

Staff member
Case 72

Name
: Dolbere
Condition: Hand pierced by multiple pieces of shrapnel. Again. Have removed foreign objects, disinfected injuries (ignoring patient's objections), stitched and bandaged them. Full recovery expected.

Case 73

Name: Ginger
Condition: First-degree burns on hands after contact with uninsulated, live wire. RCD tripped quickly enough to prevent serious injury (right in the middle of my scan, though. Have to start again now). Ordered her to hold her hands under the tap for two hours (consider it my revenge) and suggested she starts wearing gloves. Full recovery expected.

Case 74

Name: Darryl
Condition: Flash blindness from one of Dolbere's contraptions. Didn't seem too serious, possibly an excuse to ask me out on another date. Requested Darryl and Dolbere get their own room. Full recovery expected, if he hasn't recovered already, that is.

Case 75

Name: Ginger
Condition: First-degree burns on hands. Should've specified I meant insulated gloves, not metal gauntlets. Ordered her to spend five hours in the lake. Full recovery expected.

Case 76

Name: Nata
Condition: Minor scratches on leg from thorns. Wouldn't stop bleeding, so she stopped by. Cleaned, disinfected and bandaged wounds. Suggested she starts wearing proper clothing. Full recovery expected.

Case 77

Name: Omicron
Condition: Damaged photovoltaic cells after contact with the planet's surface at a high velocity, induced by an electromagnetic disruption of the cranial gyroscopes. Or so I'm told. Referred him to Ginger and Sarx for further examination. Recovery unknown.

Case 78

Name: David
Condition: Alcohol intoxication. Prescribed a twelve-hour course of suspension of consciousness induced by lack of movement. He didn't understand that. Told him to go to bed. Full recovery expected.

Case 76 Update

Condition: Patient reports severe itch and stinging from the treated injuries. Took off bandages to inspect them. Area around injuries swollen, red and painful. Scratches covered by dark red to purple scabs. Doesn't look right. Asked about how she got the injuries. Told me she got them from the thorny bushes in that purple forest, when she was collecting those disgusting mushrooms. Might be a fungal infection. Took some tissue and blood samples for testing. Cleaned, disinfected and bandaged wounds again. Not much else I can do before I find out what's wrong with her. Prescribed painkillers, told her to come back in two days, or earlier if it gets worse.

Case 79

Name: Luca
Condition: Respiratory problems. Knew it was from the paint fumes right away. Told him to start wearing a respirator. Full recovery expected (what a surprise).

Case 80

Name: Dolbere
Condition: Head injury and concussion. Prank by Darryl went a bit wrong (or right, if you ask Darryl). Gave him a poultice and told him to rest for a week, then come back. Full recovery expected.

Case 76 Update

Condition: Check-up. Initial tests turned out negative. Complaints about itch or pain have seized. Swelling has reduced, but skin has darkened to a purplish tint, and scratches show no sign of healing. Patient complained about chills. Told her it was because of her lack of clothing, but she insisted otherwise. I think she is just scared. Gave her a blanket, told her to come back in a week if the injuries hadn't healed by then. Let's just hope it isn't contagious.

Case 81

Name: Brian
Condition: Black eye. Got punched by a zombie after he left the door wide open. Well deserved, as far as I'm concerned. Gave him a ice pack. Recovery unlikely. Just kidding, he'll be fine.

Case 82

Condition: Bite wound on his arms. At first I thought Brian left the door open again, but apparently Nata suddenly attacked him when he asked her out on a date. I don't like the look of this, it's just a bit too coincidental to me. Asked for Nata to be brought here for a check-up. Cleaned, disinfected and bandaged the bite wound. Full recovery expected, but he's not the one I'm worried about.

Case 76 Update

Condition: I don't know what is wrong with her. If I didn't know any better, I'd say she was rabid. Panting, shivering, anxiety, and she won't let anyone near her. Couldn't get a good look at her injuries, but the purple tint seems to have spread. I'm starting to become really worried now, all my tests turned out negative. Ordered her to be confined to her room, Ginger will have to stay in Sarx's room for the time being. Not that either of them will mind.

Case 83

Condition: Respiratory problems again, even though he's wearing the respirator. Coughing, wheezing, sore throat. I fear that his lungs have already been damaged. Told him to stop painting for a while (to his dismay). Got some sputum samples of him for tests, although at the moment, I don't really have the time for it. I have to focus my resources on curing Nata.

Case 82 Update

Condition: Big problem. Bite wound got infected, just like Nata's. Purple scabs, swollen, red skin, itches and stings like mad, according to Darryl. Prescribed him every antimicrobial I've got. Highly unprofessional, but the last thing we need is for him to turn feral as well. Ordered him to solitary confinement as well. He doesn't show the same symptoms as Nata yet, but I fear it's only a matter of time. Dolbere will have to camp in the garden for the time being, we're out of rooms.

Case 76 Update

Condition: Check-up. Symptoms haven't subsided. Refuses to eat, attacks anyone who gets too close. Purple tint is spreading even further, and faster too. Almost got her entire left leg, and starting to spread to her right leg and abdomen. I've never seen anything like it. Is she turning into something else?

Case 84

Name: Brian
Condition: Another black eye, exactly the same causes. Dismissed him, haven't got time for him now. Full recovery expected. Lucky him. Glad I can write that again, really.

Case 82 Update

Condition: Just as I feared. Panting, shivering, anxiety, aggression. As long as we have these two confined, everyone else should be safe, as long as they stay away from the purple forest. Not a step closer to curing either of them, however. Might be too late already.

Case 83 Update

Condition: I messed up.

I should've inspected him, thought Nata and Darryl were more important. I was wrong.

Turns out those Sea Snails Luca uses for paint are pretty rare. Rare enough that he had to resort to another ingredient. And hey, those mushrooms are purple, right? It's a logical next step.

Apparently the mushroom spores survive the process of being turned into paint. Luca inhaled them, they settled in his lungs and voila, an infection that's invisible until it's too late. He got Brian first. Then he got David and Dolbere when they dragged him off and locked him in his room. Drew blood on all of them. Can't do anything to help them. Here I am, in my clinic, the only person with medical knowledge, and I'm powerless. This isn't merely a disease. It's a force, an entity. It wants us all.

-

Well, it's not going to get me. And it's not going to get anyone else here. I'm going to save them. I have to. That's why I'm here. That's what I was appointed to do. And I will do it.

Case 85

Name: Brian, David, Dolbere
Condition: Confined in their rooms, just like the others. Not going to do anything for them. Can't do anything for them. I have to protect the people left.

Case 86

Name:
Hiram, Frank, Dazzle, Roxanne, Sarx, Edmund, Ginger, Maelor, Phoebe, Omicron
Occupation: Dye Trader, Merchant, Party Girl, Stylist, Goblin Tinkerer, Clothier, Mechanic, Wizard, Steampunker, Cyborg
Condition: Nothing, and I intend to keep it that way. We stick together now, guarding their rooms. They are scared, as they should be. We don't know what we are fighting. But we are going to win. I am going to win.

Case 76 Update

Name: Patient #1
Condition: It doesn't feel right to call her Nata anymore. Everything that ever was Nata is gone. All that remains is a rabid, mutilated husk. I don't want to describe what the infection has done to her. I don't need to. As if I'm ever going to forget it.

Case 85 Update

Name: Brian, David, Dolbere
Condition: Brian and David are developing symptoms just as expected, but Dolbere seems to be fine. His wounds are healing cleanly and he is not reporting any itching or pain. It might be a delayed reaction, though, so I'm not throwing a party just yet. No matter how much Dazzle wants me to.

Case 82 Update

Name: Patient #2
Condition: Full conversion.

Case 83 Update

Name: Patient #3
Condition: Full conversion. Faster than the others. Still haven't decided on what to do with them.

Case 85 Update

Name: Patient #4, Patient #5, Dolbere
Condition: While the first two have succumbed to full conversion, Dolbere still shows no symptoms whatsoever. His wounds have completely healed and he feels fine. Perhaps there is something in his physiology that makes him immune. We have released him from his room and I have taken some samples for further analysis. He might just be the key to fighting this thing.

Case 87

Name: Everyone
Condition: It's conscious.

It knew what we were doing. It waited, dormant. As soon as we trusted it, it appeared. Didn't attack straightaway. Freed the others. Then attacked.

I got out. Just me. Don't know about the others. Too late for them, anyway. I locked them in. Can't get out. Now I have to get out of here. Don't know where. Anywhere will do. Just away from the purple.

Case 88

Name: Jenna
Condition: Small cut on my arm I got during the escape won't stop bleeding. It's nothing, though. I'm overreacting. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, probably. Definitely got the trauma. But I'm fine now. It's nothing. It'll heal.

Full recovery expected.

Last edited:
APPROVAL GIVEN.

I really do like this. Any thoughts on what you'll do next? Continue this or work on another story?

APPROVAL GIVEN.

I really do like this. Any thoughts on what you'll do next? Continue this or work on another story?

As far as this storyline goes, it's definitely a one off. Bit like The Lottery by Shirley Jackson.

I write a lot in my head, so to speak, which I never intend to make public, but lately I felt like writing something in the Literature section for everyone to see. If people like it (and so far, they seem to), I might post some other stuff in the future.

@Kazzymodus
I was absolutely engrossed by this story, short albeit. Fantastic writing here. Sentence structure, cohesive composition, word and grammar variation. Only thing that truly bothered me was an improper 'an' which should've been an a. This was stellar. I don't have anything other to say, exempting further praise. If you're ever looking for more ways to expel your literary brilliance contact me. Take this:

divider.png

index.php

@Kazzymodus
I was absolutely engrossed by this story, short albeit. Fantastic writing here. Sentence structure, cohesive composition, word and grammar variation. Only thing that truly bothered me was an improper 'an' which should've been an a. This was stellar. I don't have anything other to say, exempting further praise. If you're ever looking for more ways to expel your literary brilliance contact me. Take this:

divider.png

index.php

Thanks, glad you liked it! Getting a Gold Star from one of TCF foremost writers isn't something that happens to you everyday.

No idea how I missed that 'an', got it out of the way. Just consider it part of the writer's mental breakdown. :happy:

I was brought here by Teal, and for good reason. It reminds me a lot of David Lubar's short stories, left to make you think. Quite original, writing from a series of the nurse's notes. I myslef enjoy writing from the position of Terraria's NPCs and mobs. You get a follow, good sir.

I love it!
The set up was original, and very well done.
The story was amazing. It engrossed me the whole time. I appreciate how hard it is to appease the audience like that.
It makes you think twice about the corruption. You have a great story here, and if you continue to write like this, you could become a big name on the forums, or just in general.
If this was longer and turned into a book, I would buy it.

I love it!
The set up was original, and very well done.
The story was amazing. It engrossed me the whole time. I appreciate how hard it is to appease the audience like that.
It makes you think twice about the corruption. You have a great story here, and if you continue to write like this, you could become a big name on the forums, or just in general.
If this was longer and turned into a book, I would buy it.

Well, I wouldn't want to boast, but I think I can say I'm already a pretty familiar face around here. Although that's mainly because of my unsympathetic breaking down of most suggestions.

Well, I wouldn't want to boast, but I think I can say I'm already a pretty familiar face around here. Although that's mainly because of my unsympathetic breaking down of most suggestions.
If you didn't want to, you wouldn't have :D *Sarcasm*
Either way, keep up the good work.

Right, I think by now I can safely state that this one was a success. Which means that you guys now have incredibly high expectations for the next one. Dear me. :happy:

Seriously though, thanks for all the kind words, people. It's very motivating to have my first story get this much praise. Truth be told, I prefer to write comedy (although I can't really speak for the quality of it), but I'm willing to explore drama some more. Large stories are not really my cup of tea, however, I quickly start to drag.

Nata. If Nata owns something, it's Nata's. Nata's backwards is Satan.

Just to clarify, that was in no way intentional. All the names were just picked from the wiki, depending on which sounded best.

I didn't exactly find this horrifying, just a tad bit eerie. Well that categorizes my entire opinions on horror in general. Please continue writing, I'm interested. I know you more from the Adult Swim section, which is where I share most of my blunders.

Well, I guess you can say we didn't actually got off to a great start. :happy: But as far as I'm concerned, no hard feelings between us. If you (or anyone else, for that matter) want(s) to collaborate, I'm all up for it. ;)

I AM OVERUSING EMOTICONS NOW. SOMEONE STOP ME.

Back
Top Bottom